02-05-2016 02:45 PM
37 12
tools
    Lately I've seen many sad threads around sounding like the world's about to end and "WM IS DEAD!". I've read about flaws of ms strategy, dissapointed users, problems, system failures, apps leaving, marketshare plummeting and etc. I love to see people being positive even at the worst moments, so now I'm seeking for some optimistic/positive view in all this gloom. What do you guys/girls think ? What would the optimistic scenario ? What gives you hope and faith in WM ?
    02-02-2016 09:05 AM
    I still prefer using the OS over iOS and Android. I've got used to it over the years, it does what I need from it in a manner that I understand, and see no point in moving away.

Windows 10 Mobile is far superior to my mind that Windows Phone 8, and whatever has been removed or changed doesn't bother me enough to complain about it.
    02-02-2016 09:12 AM
    Bright as sunshine! I refuse to use boring buggy android and that other boring one that charges you an arm and a leg for a closed platform.
    William Stovall likes this.
    02-02-2016 09:53 AM
    Not going to use iOS, because I have always hated iTunes and Apple's walled garden.
    I have a Nexus 7 tablet, Android is fine for an entertainment focused device but I'd never use anything other than stock Android due to the security issues of the unpatched OEM versions.

I like W10M much better than 8/8.1. For me it's smoother and better looking with a more consistent UI and has corrected some of the poor earlier issues such as the settings menu. The App Gap doesn't really exist for me the way I use my phone, the only small issues I have are battery life (getting better all the time for me) and a couple of minor bugs (Dedicated alerts per mailbox, MSN Weather on the lock screen).

Windows Phone/Mobile is in much better health here in the UK, in Europe and lots of other markets. It seems to me that much of the doom and gloom is US-centric, particularly in regards to the lack of some apps (Banks mostly)
    captaincalamity likes this.
    02-02-2016 09:55 AM
    same as surface RT > surface 3

maybe ms stops being retarded and lets the build roms free for anyone to install on any phone?
    02-02-2016 10:00 AM
    On a brighter side, WM will be smoother, faster and fully featured OS. Apps would come through bridges (Islandwood, Centennial, etc). And when that day comes, they could bring me back.
    02-02-2016 10:12 AM
    If Microsoft can get their act together, make porting iOS apps simple, and persuade some developers to both port their apps, and then put a badge on their website to say Windows app store, together with the usual iOS/Android, then we might be on a promise.

Universal apps, and their ability to work on console/pc/tablet/phone should give some leverage.

Doesn't matter how awesome the OS is, until the app gap starts closing, it'll never matter.
    02-02-2016 10:20 AM
    The smartphone era is about over. The market is saturated. Pretty much everybody that wants one has one, and it's just a matter of incremental upgrades and replacements of worn out and broken phones now. Rather than compete with the likes of Apple and Android over such crumbs, Microsoft is big and smart enough to wait it out while coming up with new ideas that will redefine the category.

Whatever the next mobile thing is after smartphones, Microsoft is positioning itself to be there ahead of everyone else. If I knew what that was I'd be working at Microsoft.
    02-02-2016 10:24 AM
    So Microsoft is sucking on purpose because eventually smartphones will be replaced by something else? That's your theory?
    theefman and WesleyBPeres like this.
    02-02-2016 10:36 AM
    For me, WP is million times better than its competition. In short, I find iOS boring to death and overpriced. Android, while having many apps, seems to me like it was made by some crazy clowns in a circus. Too many colors everywhere and no sense for decent design. Not to mention the lags.

WP, with its minimalistic, easy-to-use design, black backgrounds and now good integration with W10 on Pc just wins it for me.

I'm not afraid Microsoft will ditch it as its CEO said that mobile is crucial to complete the multiplatform experience.

The only thing that concerns me a little is that if it continues to lose it's customer base, developers will stop making apps for the platform, thus making it feel dead and empty.

I still really hope and believe that it is only a matter of time until the general public opens their eyes and realize that WP is far superior to Android. The only thing needed is for Microsoft to start actually trying. Fix the many issues of W10M, do some marketing and just stop frustrating their own fans and driving them away with their seemingly half-assed effort. Do some marketing for god's sake.

Everyone I know thinks that WP sucks because "Microsoft sucks, because Windows Vista sucked and why the hell would I put Windows on my phone when it sucks on my Pc?" Everyone was amazed when they actually saw the system and some of them even ditched their shty Android phones for a WP.
    Demian Mioc and apableo like this.
    02-02-2016 10:45 AM
    So Microsoft is sucking on purpose because eventually smartphones will be replaced by something else? That's your theory?
    Not the sucking on purpose part but yes. You need to look at the bigger picture. People grow up and have rich, full lives outside of their smartphones.

Mark my words. There will come a time when the sleek black glass rectangles we all carry around will be looked at with disdain just as if somebody today were carrying around a bag phone (remember those?)
    EspHack likes this.
    02-02-2016 11:00 AM
    Not the sucking on purpose part but yes. You need to look at the bigger picture. People grow up and have rich, full lives outside of their smartphones.

Mark my words. There will come a time when the sleek black glass rectangles we all carry around will be looked at with disdain just as if somebody today were carrying around a bag phone (remember those?)
    I'm well aware that the smartphones days are numbered, as were the bag phones and flip phones. But claiming that Microsofts mobile woes are somehow related to that is a tough sell. It's like saying Yugos were crappy because someday we'll all be riding around on hoverboards.
    02-02-2016 01:53 PM
    The last paragraph of this article on WinBeta I found interesting:
    Microsoft isn?t sweating the death of Windows Phone and here?s why ? WinBeta
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-02-2016 02:25 PM
    Some think that W10M can survive with only 3rd party hardware but I cannot see MS putting a lot of effort into future improvements if they don't have a 'hat in the ring'. Unfortunately, I think the future is still up in the air until Nadella makes up his mind and goes in 100%.
    02-03-2016 07:47 AM
    The whole market share was for last quarter. And MS released their lumia phones almost at end of last quarter.

December market share plummeted, but apparently recovered in January. This could be due to the lumia 950/xl. And may have been even better if it supported Verizon.

So I think we will start seeing better numbers once the 650 is released. This may draw in a larger audience. And the question is whether it will support Verizon. Plus by then maybe the OS will be more optimized.
    02-03-2016 01:55 PM
    Windows Mobile will grow very high and it's not because MS is putting a lot of effort into it. They don't. It will be side effect of their other projects and well designed ecosystem that MS have created. They're planning things 15 years ahead. Yes, 15 or even more.
    So no worries. Apple is far behind. Google is at least doing a lot, trying strange uncommon things and approches.
    If there is something dead. It's Apple. Not yet. But they didn't planned it so far ahead. They will cease... or "borrow" ideas ;)
    02-03-2016 02:45 PM
    One factor that not many have mentioned, but one I think is HUGE, is the carrier involvement. I think AT&T, Verizon, et. al don't WANT there to be a 3rd viable option. Especially Verizon. That 3rd OS choice adds to there cost, without any real benefit for them.

What I think MS at least understands is that the future of smartphones is for people to get their phone from the mfg, NOT the carrier. Similar to the way things work in Europe right now. To the phone mfg and the consumer there are big advantages to NOT getting the phone from the carrier:
    Can take the phone to another carrier if your current one sucks.
    Phones get updated much more quickly, without need for the carrier to pre-test.
    Phones can be installed without the crap installed by the carrier.
    Features the carrier wants disabled can be enabled. (Visual Voice Mail, Tethering)

Carriers want you to be forced to get the phones thru them because they make money off of the bloat, and by charging you monthly for features that would be free if just enabled on your phone. Plus they want you to feel trapped into the carrier, so you won't be inclined to switch to a competitor.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    02-03-2016 03:17 PM

Hey -- I had a bag phone!!!
    02-03-2016 03:54 PM
    I still believe universal apps will change Win 10 mobile. Windows 10 recently over took XP and should overtake 8.0 (8.1) in the next few months. And Surface sales are up 29% over this time last year (1.3 billion in revenue). And despite all the "the world is coming to an end because the Surface Book sucks" post we see here on WPCentral both the SB and SP4 have had incredible successful launches. I think the SB is going to be going to other markets in 2016 and with the bug fixing updates coming from Microsoft to correct known issues coupled with the expanded markets I have no reason to believe sales will be increasing. Surface 4 should be coming this summer as well (hopefully to get the back to school sales). I know its a sore subject to some but the Microsoft apps on both IOS and Android and doing fairly well, which only help getting more people's toes wet in the Microsoft eco system. It think all that positive news can only help Windows mobile. It won't happen over night and it won't be great gains, but gains never the less.

So, to answer the OP's question, I'm somewhat optimistic.

Sent from my Surface 3
    mrpuny likes this.
    02-03-2016 04:17 PM
    My optimistic(hope) for WM10 is MS will not blindside WM fans and shutter the platform and instead continue to work on it and slowly bring it up to feature parity with iOS and Android as well as bringing their own apps up to feature parity with the other platforms. They will keep putting out new phones every year.
    02-03-2016 05:19 PM
    .......People grow up and have rich, full lives outside of their smartphones.........
    Some do, but it seems most don't.
    Joe920 likes this.
    02-03-2016 07:41 PM
    Microsoft knows exactly what they're doing and everything is going according to plan. Long ago they realized that they couldn't compete with Apple and Google so they purposely dialed down their efforts with Windows Phone. Flagships were cancelled, marketing was shut down and various apps were discontinued. They even made Flipboard remove the flip animation in their app. All of the talented people at Nokia were laid off and Belfiore was forced to go on a "vacation". The team for Windows 10 Mobile was reduced to a handful of interns and an ex-Google janitor who only get to work on it on their lunch breaks. None of these people used Windows Phone before so things like user friendless and stability were not a priority.

To shut up all of the Windows Phone fans who have been dying for real flagships MS quickly slapped together the 950 and 950 XL which use rejected Nokia designs found in a trash bin and spare parts from past failed devices. Signature Lumia features like colors and attractiveness were intentionally left out so that only the most desperate fans would purchase them. Marketing was never considered.

All of this is to ensure the death of Windows 10 Mobile and the eventual transition to MS just supporting their apps and services on Android and iOS. These are some of the important steps MS is following to make it easier for Windows Phone users to leave/migrate to Android and iOS:

Androidification
    The unique Metro design language was abandoned for a more generic one with little attention given to aesthetics. The stylish and fluid animations were removed and strongly disliked UI elements like hamburger menus, wireframe icons and circle profile pictures were introduced. A transparency slider was added to make tiles look more like traditional icons and the settings menu from an old version of Android was used.

Coming Soon
    The development and roll out of W10M has been seemingly delayed, pushed back and overall botched. Annoying bugs are introduced with each new build to keep users from enjoying W10M and apps are updated with little to no improvements and with no change logs. Various vague tweets and statements are written to give the impression that the developers are "working on it" while appearing to be lazy and incompetent. Key phrases such as "wait until next year" and "coming soon" are repeated over and over.

Damage Control/Cheerleading
    Various carefully worded editorials are commissioned to ease the frustration of the ever decreasing fanbase. The massive decline of Windows Phone is spun as a positive thing and that W10M and MS are on the "right path". Things like Universal Apps, Windows Hello and Contiuum are frequently brought up as "game changing" despite being useless gimmicks for the majority of users. Those who question or object are accused of being "haters" and "anti-MS". Some are sent a brand new 950 or 950XL as torture.

The Last Chance For W10M to Succeed/The End Of W10M/The Future With Android and iOS
    The rumor of the mythical future "Surface Phone" was carefully implanted within the Windows Phone community to create false optimism and hope that "something better" is coming later. When this device is later "cancelled" the handful of users still using W10M will finally give up and have no choice other than to go to either Android or iOS. Having no experience with Google or Apple services on Windows Phone/W10M they will find safety and comfort with the various MS apps already awaiting them on either platform. Cortana will be there to greet them and teach to embrace Android/iOS while using MS apps and services. Over time they will slowly forget the hell and frustration they went through with MS' Windows Phone experiment.
    WesleyBPeres likes this.
    02-03-2016 09:47 PM
    Hmm I wonder how many members are looking up the definition of the word "optimistic" like I'm doing right now lol ;)
    02-03-2016 10:18 PM
    WP should develop some new feature. for example automatically detect nearby devices and once it finds android phones or iphones the wp can hack into them remotely and erase everything inside and then prompt their users to upgrade to windows 10 for free. if the android phone/iphone user refuse the wp can emit laser to destroy them completely.
    apableo and William Stovall like this.
    02-03-2016 11:42 PM
    A Windows 10 Mobile with desktop and can run basic .exe that doesn't require complicated resources. Also having the ability to install other platforms (Android/iOS) applications seamlessly that acts like native apps.

Simply a portable pc. :)
    Because its Windows, and Windows means productivity!
    02-04-2016 12:47 AM
37 12