The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-08-2016 02:26 AM
119 1234 ...
tools
    It matters to me, because the interface on the competing platforms is crap!
    02-05-2016 04:21 AM
    From a usability standpoint, I still like WP 8.1, and for what it can do, it does those jobs fine. It's no webOS, but its pretty good. The problem is that I want it to do more and it doesn't. I don't want to have to plan other purchases around what my WP device can support, for say a bluetooth device, fitness band, etc.

I spent until almost 2006 making hardware choices around what would allow me to continue to use BeOS for the sake of the user experience, but it eventually got really old. I don't really want to tread that road again, and I believe if Microsoft had really wanted to compete in the mobile sector they could have been a lot more aggressive.

How long did they spend dumping money down a hole with the Xbox? Clearly that strategy was available to them if they had decided to pursue it. I no longer feel like waiting, although that's a choice made easier by the fact that Verizon seems to have no willingness to offer a quality WP device anymore.
    02-05-2016 04:32 AM
    I care simply because I don't want to throw away my $700 phone which I only bought a couple of months ago. It's plain and simple. You don't need to have personal stakes or to be an employee at MS to be terrified of how relaxed of an approach MS is taking with WM10. Money does not grow in trees last time I checked.
    Guytronic, libra89 and ven07 like this.
    02-05-2016 06:38 AM
    Mostly this for me. Android is at least somewhat customisable but Google can get stuffed after the way they've played the mobile market against us. iPhones are just generic and meh but probably the better alternative.
    02-05-2016 06:53 AM
    I am lucky enough to be able to use both an Android phone and a Windows phone. Not rich; but comfortable. Why no Apple? Not sure to be honest. I think Apple is popular because they support their phones better than anyone.If you crack your screen its easy to find a place to repair it. Just about every carrier supports Apple even though they have only about 16% of the market. They have built a reputation of support for their products and to a great many people that is more important than anything else. There are so many Android phones its hard to get support for them. When most Android phones break (or Windows phones also), you are out of luck. Thats just the way it is. So why no Apple for me. Dont know, no apple since my Apple II about 150,000 years ago. We people are strange beings. Aint it grand.
    02-05-2016 08:00 AM
    I am lucky enough to be able to use both an Android phone and a Windows phone. Not rich; but comfortable. Why no Apple? Not sure to be honest. I think Apple is popular because they support their phones better than anyone.If you crack your screen its easy to find a place to repair it. Just about every carrier supports Apple even though they have only about 16% of the market. They have built a reputation of support for their products and to a great many people that is more important than anything else. There are so many Android phones its hard to get support for them. When most Android phones break (or Windows phones also), you are out of luck. Thats just the way it is. So why no Apple for me. Dont know, no apple since my Apple II about 150,000 years ago. We people are strange beings. Aint it grand.
    I am in the same position. I primarily use Android, with WP as the sidekick. However, the main reason I do not use an iPhone is simply because they cost more. I have no issue with Apple, but using their products just simply takes more money. I don't feel Apple has any overall advantage over Android anyway. If I thought it did, I'd pay.

I do use Apple products for a couple things where I feel it is worth the cost. I bought a Macbook that needed repairs (the only kind I can afford!) and refurbished it. I also use an iPad Mini, because for the precise scenario for which I need it I feel it is worth the premium price. But for phones, I stick to the others.

Sidenote: I have Windows 10 on my Macbook with Bootcamp, and that right there is a premium experience!
    libra89, ven07, abulafia53 and 1 others like this.
    02-05-2016 08:19 AM
    I have no such problem in my part of the world getting pretty much any brand of phone repaired, Apple, Nokia, Samsung, and most other brands. I don't think it's Apple's support that generates the sales, it's their excellent marketing, which makes their products appeal to not only people that consider themselves to be professionals, but also to most other people too. People want them because it makes them feel special, part of an elite almost I would say. That's fine, I have no problem with that. I'm not such a sucker for marketing, so it's unlikely I'll ever own an iPhone, mainly because other products (Windows phones in this instance) work better for me, but obviously each to their and good luck to them whatever their choices.
    Last edited by speccy; 02-05-2016 at 08:33 AM.
    ven07 likes this.
    02-05-2016 08:23 AM
    George Washington is dead. Thomas Jefferson is dead. Martin Luther King is dead. Yet their influence is still with us. This is the proper usage of the term "dead."

To declare a computing platform "dead" which still has many active users, and is still in active development and support, is premature at best, and wishful thinking at worst.
    deep.jpg
    02-05-2016 08:54 AM
    I think the lack of Lumia's is a good thing. There were WAY too many of them, strangling any gaps for OEM's to fill. Maybe it was part of the plan to just release a couple of devices. Windows 10 mobile, like desktop, is to be continually updated as announced. MS have said this will be the 'final' OS release. From here on out it will be continuous development and updates. Maybe, just maybe, they are looking at the Google model whereby they have the nexus, and OEM's take care of the rest. This sudden flurry of OEM's jumping on board is good news, for me at least. Maybe that is now the plan with W10M, a flagship, midrange and budget device, and go from there. We will see. As for being dead, not by a long chalk.
    libra89, Charles Brown8 and ven07 like this.
    02-05-2016 09:05 AM
    I think the lack of Lumia's is a good thing. There were WAY too many of them, strangling any gaps for OEM's to fill. Maybe it was part of the plan to just release a couple of devices. Windows 10 mobile, like desktop, is to be continually updated as announced. MS have said this will be the 'final' OS release. From here on out it will be continuous development and updates. Maybe, just maybe, they are looking at the Google model whereby they have the nexus, and OEM's take care of the rest. This sudden flurry of OEM's jumping on board is good news, for me at least. Maybe that is now the plan with W10M, a flagship, midrange and budget device, and go from there. We will see. As for being dead, not by a long chalk.
    Be nice to see a strong midrange and flagship then let OEMs fill the other performance gaps and variations.. It's been beat in the ground but also do what it takes to make them available on all USA carriers or at least the two major carriers.. Some of us are left out in the cold with att.. Gsm may be great and all that but if it has no service coverage you are out of luck as far as the current flagships.
    libra89 and ven07 like this.
    02-05-2016 10:51 AM
    It only matters to me because I like the flow of the platform and I think the market could stand to have additional competition to keep it from stagnating.
    02-05-2016 03:45 PM
    It doesn't matter to me at all because Windows 10 Mobile is far from dead.
    If you have to buy new Android / iOS phone every year because it sucks so hard, pumping this way marketshare of Google and Android , while you can buy phone with Windows and it just works and you don't want to change it, then marketshare drops because it is based ONLY on sales. What I see are completely different numbers.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    02-05-2016 04:12 PM
    It doesn't matter to me at all because Windows 10 Mobile is far from dead.
    If you have to buy new Android / iOS phone every year because it sucks so hard, pumping this way marketshare of Google and Android , while you can buy phone with Windows and it just works and you don't want to change it, then marketshare drops because it is based ONLY on sales. What I see are completely different numbers.
    I agree with your yearly sentiment. After all, the fashion world doesn't stand still! How long before apple and Samsung have a spring / summer and autumn / winter collection!! :)

I really like the non pose ability of a windows device. As I have banged on about, Samsung and apple's devices are no more than fashion items for shallow fashionistas, who have to have their ego's massaged. I see it when I pick my kids up from school. Loads of teenagers coming out the gate, all sporting the latest iPhone whilst greeting their parents who are strapped with a 2 year contract @ 50 (ish) a month because they can't have their little ones getting bullied because the ads say that you have to have an iPhone. My son has a 950, he doesn't care. He doesn't have to take a laptop to school anymore. The kids think his phone is cool, but its crap because it isnt all shiny and have a case with a hole on the back, informing less desirables that you are worth mugging! Go figure!

With regards to windows mobile just working, I also agree. My 1320 runs great on it. It plays traffic rider without flitching, which for an old girl is quite surprising. I have more issues on my 930!!

Personally, I think win10m is going to be around for a while yet. I think there is confusion when it is said 'windows phone' is dead. Effectively, it is. 'windows mobile' is doing ok, especially with OEM's appearing out of the woodwork!! Yay
    02-05-2016 06:09 PM
    My personal phone is a lumia 1520 and I have a Samsung android work phone. Personally and professionally my windows phone does everything so much better. Sure android has more apps but my WM phone has better synergy with my work desk top and better features that fits my needs. I am concerned about WM future and what is in store as it is a great platform.
    fatclue_98 and Chintan Gohel like this.
    02-05-2016 06:58 PM
    02-05-2016 10:33 PM
    It's a personal choice to use Windows Mobile because I like the platform. IMHO, more potential over Android and IOS at this moment. Also, App gap a non issue for me. For others, there's iOS and android waiting if they need those missing apps.

I hope MS will continue development and stick with it regardless what anyone says. They left mobile to flounder on several occasion and it came back to haunt them. Starting over too many times also hurt them as well. They just need to stick with it.

Also incentivizing developers better, both hardware and software, will go a long ways.
    02-05-2016 11:00 PM
    Because there are parties out there who desperately WANT Win Mobile to not become a viable alternative. There are many quiet forces at work who are plying all possible angles of influence in the business world to insure that the current stakeholders in the phone world STAY as the only stakeholders People assume this is merely a marketing push. It's sizably bigger than that. And none of the parties are going to speak about it much for obvious reasons.

That said, I will continue to use the platform. I don't deal with the world in "apps". And as the market shrinks, prices go sky high, and volume is harder to come by, there will be opportunity to grow the platform. Google is the equivalent of Comcast. We can do better.
    v_emman likes this.
    02-05-2016 11:26 PM
    Personally, I think win10m is going to be around for a while yet. I think there is confusion when it is said 'windows phone' is dead. Effectively, it is. 'windows mobile' is doing ok, especially with OEM's appearing out of the woodwork!! Yay
    ^^ this ^^

Windows Phone is dead, long live Windows Mobile.
    02-06-2016 01:43 AM
    Technology is all set to make a major shift in next 4 or 5 years. The two companies that are ready for that shift are Google and Microsoft.

There will be new services and devices. And, Apple will be become more irrelevant during that period.

The efforts of Google and Microsoft will only start to pay off during that period. Google will be big even then, but Microsoft will be a very relevant player in the new market.

That will also be period where Android and Windows will achieve more on all their devices. However, the only issue on Google devices will be security and Google has started to make their investments already. Same is happening at Microsoft.

Bookmark and look back at this post after 4 years and you will realise what I said has come true.

Only Google and Microsoft will be the prominent players in the market after 4 years.

Posted via the Windows Central App
    mkKozak and v_emman like this.
    02-06-2016 01:53 AM
    Windows Phone was the OS to draw me back to Microsoft. I belive that with Windows Phone 7 Microsoft gained something they never had before. A loyal following who loved there products through there best one yet, WP (What Nutella is talking about now, he wants you to love Windows).
    Microsoft have then been loyal to there tradition wich is, make a superb product, completly scew it up like ONLY Microsoft can, then scew over there fans, and in the end. Loose so much on there Microsoft brand again. Windows 10 Mobile is a mockary to fans. And where i live, wich Microsoft dont care about because its not U.S, people have just laughed and left and will never look back thowards Microsoft. A huge company can fail,some times, and for Microsoft time is running out. They needed to deliver 2 months ago on several areas.
    Everything you do to fail comes back someday, and with Windows 10 Mobile, its clear they want us Windows Phone fan just to go buy a 950 or a 950 XL so they can at least make SOME money from a phone division they complelty destroyed day 1 WP was born... and as soon as you bought that phone, go buy that iPhone or Android phone because 950/XL is the crappiest phone experience ever to be had. I have been rooting for Microsoft for years, but now, i couldnt care less and i hope they go away as fast as possible as a company. They have destroyed there final product in my eyes, there is no more redemption to be had from me. I'l keep using WP 8.1 till it dies and go to a dumb phone. These phone companies can rotten and go to a hot place for all i care, as long as Microsoft goes first.
    02-06-2016 02:18 AM
    Technology is all set to make a major shift in next 4 or 5 years. The two companies that are ready for that shift are Google and Microsoft.

There will be new services and devices. And, Apple will be become more irrelevant during that period.

The efforts of Google and Microsoft will only start to pay off during that period. Google will be big even then, but Microsoft will be a very relevant player in the new market.

That will also be period where Android and Windows will achieve more on all their devices. However, the only issue on Google devices will be security and Google has started to make their investments already. Same is happening at Microsoft.

Bookmark and look back at this post after 4 years and you will realise what I said has come true.

Only Google and Microsoft will be the prominent players in the market after 4 years.

Posted via the Windows Central App
    I wouldn't be surprised if Apple and Microsoft in 10 years time are one and the same company against Google.
    If W10M matters to me? well I use it but my world wouldn't collaps and die if W10m did.
    02-06-2016 02:19 AM
    So nice
    02-06-2016 02:23 AM
    It would and wouldn't matter to me.

At the moment W10M isn't as complete as WP8.1, so I won't use it. Also, I detest the Android-isation of W10M - the UI design language of WP8.1 is beautiful, elegant and artistic. W10M is Android-with-Live-Tiles. I much prefer WP8.1 and would be reasonably happy to keep using it forever. In that context it wouldn't matter if Windows Mobile died tomorrow.

On the other hand, I don't want Windows Mobile to die because I'm ever hopeful the OS and I might converge again. The WP8.1 design language is gone forever, but I still hold out hope that Cortana might gain the functionality it has in WP8.1; I still hope the superb People hub of WP8.1 finds its way into W10M. So in that respect I don't want Windows Mobile to die.
    Saijin_Naib likes this.
    02-06-2016 03:22 AM
    But surely the interface on W10M is just the same as the competing platforms now? Apart from the Live Tiles, how does it differ?
    theefman likes this.
    02-06-2016 03:25 AM
    But surely the interface on W10M is just the same as the competing platforms now? Apart from the Live Tiles, how does it differ?
    Yup. You can't swipe from the edge to open the hamburger menu by default. That puts it at huge disadvantage
    Saijin_Naib likes this.
    02-06-2016 03:38 AM
119 1234 ...