There is no app gap

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Every time I hear the phrase "app gap" - I point the person who says it to this (now old) article.

Almost a million fake apps are targeting your phone | Computerworld

This is the reality of the "app gap" - are there apps from some companies not available on some phones? Sure. That said, there are a lot of really bad apps not available on some phones too...

And with the advent of better browsing tech, the web based site apps for many places is better than an installed app anyway...

You know your thread gave me an idea for some feedback. I was just thinking how I prefer apps because I hate switching through tabs (especially since edge isn't really great for this), but the task switcher is great. So I figure edge should have a cool feature you can enable that will put all your tabs into the task switcher.

But I prefer apps to be built as apps and not webpages. It's usually much easier to dish out exploits through browsers. Whether it's a website that was hacked or anything like that. With the app you just have this contained code that talks directly to the servers. So while it can be done it would be more work no doubt. Although web wrappers could be susceptible to the same thing.

And also the UI is usually much better on well made apps. Likely better memory management too. More optimized for the OS. I don't think the future is back to the web. I think the future is to have tools that allow apps to be built once and work on any platform. I think this is one thing that MS also envisions, and that's why they are focusing so hard on visual Studio. The idea is that there should be no language barriers when developing for platforms. And of course when I say language barriers I do mean programming languages. A developer shouldn't be counted out of developing apps for a bunch of platforms just because he learned a different language. And if they are really good in that language they may make a much better app than if they were to try to learn a new language all together just to get on a platform.

The newer generation is used to apps. They love apps. You are more likely to get a sale with an app than some sort of web subscription. (Statistics totally made up by me, but feel free to spread it on twitter).

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
May I ask, where do you see all these fake apps? I'm a long time Ipaq, Windows Mobile, Windows phone user and have never seen this when I go to the store on my phones. It must be a web site that you access from a computer browser. I can't think of a reason that I would do that. I would think that the average everyday common person would visit the store on their phone. That is the easy way to download to the phone, right?

I'm just puzzeled.

Oh, yes, fake apps are bad and Microsoft should ban them.

Head to the store and search for the game Lifeline. It should be created by Dave Justice. If you don't see it, it is because MS finally responded to my complaint about the fake (paid) app. But several versions of that were in the store.

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Head to the store and search for the game Lifeline. It should be created by Dave Justice. If you don't see it, it is because MS finally responded to my complaint about the fake (paid) app. But several versions of that were in the store.

Microsoft and the spammers, right here:

kitty-whack-a-mole1.jpg

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Every time I hear the phrase "app gap" - I point the person who says it to this (now old) article.

Almost a million fake apps are targeting your phone | Computerworld

This is the reality of the "app gap" - are there apps from some companies not available on some phones? Sure. That said, there are a lot of really bad apps not available on some phones too...

And with the advent of better browsing tech, the web based site apps for many places is better than an installed app anyway...
This article is about fake apps on google android.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I did as you suggested and I found one app called "Lifeline..." with three dots. It wasn't by Dave Justice and it cost 99 cents. It also had no stars and no ratings at all.
This must be a fake app? I don't think it would fool me, but I agree if it is fake, it should not be in the store.

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I dont believe the app gap. Just because some are used to using apps from iOS and Android and cant find them for Windows they say its a gap. Not all apps can be used for Windows because some of these apps using settings that Microsoft wont allow access that could damage your device if install or update goes wrong. If Windows survives you will beging to se apps from other OS and unique to Windows.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
If you don't believe the app gap you must use very little common apps :)

Like what? Facebook and Twitter are already on the Windows Store and before you say SnapChat, that will never happen. There may well be apps used for work like Good but even the majority of those are on Windows as well.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
You can report apps nnow even if you are not the developer. Take advantage of that and let's clean the store ourselves.

I once persistently kept reporting an app that copied line cubeheroes. Two weeks of a few reports every day before they removed it. I even had people from reddit reporting it hah.

It shouldn't have even made it there in the first place. It would be cool if there was a subreddit on reddit for identifying and reporting fake apps. I'm sure it would also gain some media attention given the users have to take over what MS should be doing.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I did as you suggested and I found one app called "Lifeline..." with three dots. It wasn't by Dave Justice and it cost 99 cents. It also had no stars and no ratings at all.
This must be a fake app? I don't think it would fool me, but I agree if it is fake, it should not be in the store.
Back when I looked for Lifeline in the store, there were 5 of them.

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Like what? Facebook and Twitter are already on the Windows Store and before you say SnapChat, that will never happen. There may well be apps used for work like Good but even the majority of those are on Windows as well.
Just any advertised app in the television really in the UK. than again coffee shops and banks

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Banks, Credit Unions, Snap Chat, Facebook (I know Facebook is there, but I'm talking on par with the iOS and Android features) just about any new game that comes out...

It's all good though. I'm just using a Note 5 with Cortana, the office products, Grove Music and Outlook for my Live.com email. It's basically my surface phone (it has a pen which I use a lot.)

The live tile setup is still by far the smoothest, quickest way to navigate a phone, but until Microsoft brings that to Android I'll have to live without it I guess.. sadly.

devinlars

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I've been using WP since version 7 (loved that Lumia 900) I've never had an issue with an app gap. I'd never use a banking app because I work in IT and totally understand security risks. Even when my bank did offer an app (Chase) I checked it out and then deleted it, too risky if I lost my phone. When I started using WP on that L900 I noticed the app gap went the other way for certain things, mainly Office functions and games (i.e. Wordament) I was bummed when I saw them release that on other platforms, and once they started doing that WP starting it's slow decline.
I'll be using WP/WM for as long as I can but they seriously need to ramp up their efforts to make it as "cool" as WP 7 once was, seriously that version was so "cool" it was gaining steam faster than android for a short time, the ads were great and MS was finally cool again, app gap didn't even enter into the equation because tons of developers were on board so people were willing to wait. (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Zynga, etc.)
I realize that Satya is directly behind the slow down/murder of W10M and that he needs to up-staff that department and pronto but I also believe that since there IS more development for W10 (desktop that is) that if they can release another stunning/effective mobile device
(rooting for Panos' Phone!!!)
then those devolopers can easily "check the box" for making their apps mobile and that should seriously help that app gap.
Until then I am happy but I miss the quality/coolness of my L900 and L1520 (I broke that one:unhappysweat:)

Paisley Pirate

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
This article is about fake apps on google android.

How observant... my very point, in point of fact. That there are a "million" apps on some other phone OS's... but that a lot of them are headless or fake...

So claiming x OS is "better" because it has "more apps" is like saying a phone book for Manhattan is better than a dictionary because it has more words...

the other thing going on (especially in google play) are "zombie apps" - apps that no longer have support, but yet, there they are, in the app store, daring you to download them... but since they puff up the "app count" - they stay in...

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I believe that if Windows 10 Mobile ever gets app parity with regard to banking and medical apps (apps for doctors, nurses, emt, etc.) then that alone would be enough for 90% to ignore the so-called app gap. We'll have to wait a few more years to see if Windows 10 can bring it all to the table. I'm hoping it does, but I'll stick with it regardless. If I were needing that stuff for me, I'd already have something else anyway. I'd just like to see it so others can experience my favorite UI.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro