Should I wait for a decent upgrade or go Droid awhile?

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Okay, it's Android not Droid.

Firstly, my 2 year contract is ending soon in a few more days and my lust for new device now is looking for something to quench.

"Had a 520 few years ago, then 820 then 720, after that 920 then now rocking the 830 on Windows 10 Insider Preview (which is stable enough for daily use)."

However, my local telcom here, M1 (Singapore) is only providing the 640XL LTE for a $0 upfront when I recontract (which is a good deal but it's more of a sidegrade/tradeoffs with my 830). With no signs of a new Windows Phone in the horizon besides the 650 (which is mostly a downgrade), I'm stuck here and it seems like I'm forced to go Android for awhile. I'd rather not splash too much money on phones unless it's a Windows Phone and high end and my telcom isn't providing any high end at the moment.

My question is, what should I do? Should I just end my contract here and wait for the Surface Phone and go prepaid for the time being (plan cheaper but signing up for the Surface Phone on the other hand would cost me a lot for the first time when I sign up again)? Or just renew my contract (take android and deal with it, I mean I still can use my 830)?

It's just a phone I know, but I've used Android for awhile (S3) and it was a tedious mess and I tinker with it too much for my own sake I'd rather not waste the extra tinkering.

(I hope this is the right section)

jodeltje

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Sim-only contract?

Get a phone that sells easy?

Keep the contract running longer than the 2 years, and jump when the Surface phone arrives?

Move to a different country?

Way too many variables to give a decent opinion..

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Can't. I have 4 months to decide whether to keep my contract and recontract or just end it once I finish my 24 months. And I'm only willing to spend big if there's any high end WP but there isn't. There's a few decent Android devices though in the midrange category. Like the Xiaomi Note or Xiaomi Redmi Note 2.

I'm not sure if I could recontract and get my phone along the way during my renewed 2 years contract though as a premature reconttact requires me to splash an additional $200 😞

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
So your forced by the mobile operator to take out a new contract or forced to leave? That doesn't sound very user friendly. Here in the UK once your contract term finishes you either upgrade & start a new contract with new phone OR you keep your original phone & you drop down to a monthly rolling contract.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, it's weird to me that you can't just do a monthly thing. Even in the US, we can do that. If you desire to try Android, go for it but there should be a way to keep the current phone?

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Oops, Looks like I'm misinformed, with my friends. Checked with the store and they say they won't stop charging you even after the 24 months. So that means I can still wait. Thanks for the replies guys.

However, it's still unfortunate they can't get a proper flagship status to every country as much as possible :(

ThermoDust

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if this interests you but I think the Xiaomi Mi 5 might get announced on the 24th of this month. It is said to have both Android and Windows 10 variant.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99