How Windows Mobile 10 almost killed me

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
Yeah it was the phone's fault, not you living in a country without learning the native tongue nor running unfinished software on your phone...not to mention not taking care of yourself. Damn you Microsoft!

If you read anywhere in my post that I was blaming someone or something, then you are a poor reader.

If you can learn Chinese in a few months, then you are an awesome learner.

If you are seriously blaming me for "not taking care of myself", then you are... probably my mother.

p51mustang

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
This image was taken by my 950XL of my old Lumia 640 when I added it to the insider yesterday (for some reason taking a screenshot directly on the 640 was failing). I'm assuming it's the same on the 950/XL. "In some circumstances, you may not be able to place calls (including calls for emergency services)."

Wrong assumption. That warning is specifically for the Windows Insider program. The 950/XL is not on Insider, it is production software and thus you do not get this warrning.

I've had almost zero sooftware issues on my 950, apart from GPS voice guidance not working when connected to blue tooth in my car (telephony works great).

To 137, well done for keeping your cool. Glad it turned out well for you and that you've kept your humour!

Last edited:

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Wrong assumption. That warning is specifically for the Windows Insider program. The 950/XL is not on Insider, it is production software and thus you do not get this warrning.

Nope...not a wrong assumption - I think you misunderstood me although my wording probably wasn't clear as to what I meant. I know that warning is for the insider program. My assumption, though, is that the warning doesn't change from device to device, which I think is a reasonable assumption. And a 950/XL can be on insider and you will get that warning if you join. But, no, you don't get that warning if you're using the production build. The original post, though, stated that the user was using an Icon running an Insider preview build.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I guess what I mean is when I bought the 950xl, it did not come with a warning that it was experimental software. It was too unstable to use since I have to be oncall with it. I'm not sure what the current status of the OS is, but if it has not greatly improved from my experience--it is unreliable even outside of the insider program on official "final" builds of Windows 10.

Well, I don't think MS considered it experimental software but based on your (and others) experience, it could certainly seem that way. I've theorized in another thread somewhere that maybe it's hardware and/or manufacturing defects because some people have a good experience out of the box, whereas others don't. I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones because mine has been pretty solid. Not perfect, but very good. I'd be curious to know if MS has some telemetry data that would explain some of the issues some people see. Of course, if they do, unless there's an actionable fix that doesn't make them look too bad we'll never know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fopaky