02-28-2016 12:43 PM
80 1234
tools
    Been experiencing similar battery anomalies on my 1520 with all recent builds (with a hard reset following the new build, though restoring data and programs from backup afterwards). Usually the system adapts after a while with reasonable battery life (though a fast drain overnight of about 24% for an 8-9 hr quiet time). Just switched to the new insider release preview and had instant drain down with that install, but will see what happens after a full recharge. Maybe the battery is old but I haven't gone back to 8.1 to test this. I agree that it is probably software-related.
    02-12-2016 07:44 PM
    Been experiencing similar battery anomalies on my 1520 with all recent builds (with a hard reset following the new build, though restoring data and programs from backup afterwards). Usually the system adapts after a while with reasonable battery life (though a fast drain overnight of about 24% for an 8-9 hr quiet time). Just switched to the new insider release preview and had instant drain down with that install, but will see what happens after a full recharge. Maybe the battery is old but I haven't gone back to 8.1 to test this. I agree that it is probably software-related.
    I tested it with clean wp8 and w10m and it appears that only w10m exhibit this behaviour.
    02-12-2016 07:48 PM
    I had the same experience on a Motorola Droid Turbo last year and it turned out to be the wireless charger I was using! I had switched to the Android phone out of frustration with the delay in the L950 coming out. I used the Nokia Charging stand from the Windows phone to recharge the Moto Droid Turbo. I switched to Plugin only charging and the issue went away.
    02-13-2016 08:32 AM
    I don't think it's a faulty battery, rather a bug with .107 I have this issue and it occurs when the phone has been used for a good while be it web browsing, reading windows central, playing a game etc.

Use phone for a good while until it gets slightly warm, soft reboot, power down and you will either have a dead phone, less charge or miraculously more charge than had you before. I believe either the background agent that monitors the battery has a bug or if it's tied into the battery saver app then that is buggy. Here is an example (I noticed it when I was on the grocery run):

wp_ss_20160213_0010.png

Close the battery saver app and go back it's normal:

wp_ss_20160213_0011.png

I haven't been able to replicate this bug as haven't had the time to check it out properly, once I've done so it will be listed in the feedback app.

Furthermore with build .107 after it finished installed my phone turned off, holding the power button to turn on, soft resetting as normal didn't work - I had to hold the volume down + power button for a good minute to get it restart as I was trying to get into the bootloader. But unfortunately the cable I use for flashing has developed a fault so I couldn't reflash so just let proceed with the boot. Which did take much longer than normal - about 90 seconds.

As a side note, my 920 is over 40 months old and I had this issue a few times over span of months with WP8.1 pre-amber and post cyan, about twice post "denim" but on all but few (iirc) occasions I had more charge than before. Therefore it was a non issue for me, so never mentioned it.

With .71 my battery stabilised after a few days and it would actually got decent charge to charge time for a preview build; I'm hoping .107 goes through the same process and stabilises.
    02-13-2016 09:19 AM
    My 920 has shown a 30+% reduction in battery after a soft reset or random reboot since the past few builds. Random reboots didn't start until *.6X.
    02-13-2016 09:44 AM
    My 920 has shown a 30+% reduction in battery after a soft reset or random reboot since the past few builds. Random reboots didn't start until *.6X.
    I only had one random reboot and that was on a phone call with .71 so one out of the countless calls. Considering it was a preview build, not bad odds on my side. Others experiences will obviously vary.
    02-13-2016 09:48 AM
    It had been normal today with light use and occasional web browsing. I think it only happens when there is a sudden draw of power from the battery which cause the agent monitoring battery level to be bugged. As for what I know, most phone os either communicate with battery via a specially designed asic or by measuring voltage from the battery. I guess the sudden draw of power cause voltage fluctuations which confused the battery level agent.
    02-13-2016 09:54 AM
    It had been normal today with light use and occasional web browsing. I think it only happens when there is a sudden draw of power from the battery which cause the agent monitoring battery level to be bugged. As for what I know, most phone os either communicate with battery via a specially designed asic or by measuring voltage from the battery. I guess the sudden draw of power cause voltage fluctuations which confused the battery level agent.
    Hmm, that does sound possible however without proper diagnostic tools we can only speculate...
    02-13-2016 09:59 AM
    Moral of the story? Stay on 8.1 hehe
    Wait for the production release.
    02-13-2016 10:02 AM
    Hmm, that does sound possible however without proper diagnostic tools we can only speculate...
    That's true.....
    Well, fingers crossed that someone from ms will com across this thread
    TechFreak1 likes this.
    02-13-2016 10:02 AM
    Moral of the story? Stay on 8.1 hehe
    Wait for the production release.
    If you do not help beta testing the software and reporting bugs, they will still be present in the rtm build. Not good at all.
    02-13-2016 10:03 AM
    If you do not help beta testing the software and reporting bugs, they will still be present in the rtm build. Not good at all.
    It's true but when you did a soft reset if your feedback and diagnostics is set to full it will send data back to MS. you can open a feedback thread or look for others that have the same one and upvote. Not much else you can do after that. I would err on caution because if it is doing something to your battery it may kill the life of it much quicker. I wouldn't like that.

To TechFreak, why do you have so many separate facebook icons in your battery? I only have facebook and facebook beta.
    02-13-2016 10:07 AM
    It's true but when you did a soft reset if your feedback and diagnostics is set to full it will send data back to MS. you can open a feedback thread or look for others that have the same one and upvote. Not much else you can do after that. I would err on caution because if it is doing something to your battery it may kill the life of it much quicker. I wouldn't like that.

To TechFreak, why do you have so many separate facebook icons in your battery? I only have facebook and facebook beta.
    I have already reported this via the feedback multiple times and upvoted similar ones.... Just posting here to see if anyone got any ideas.

I guess that was the bug he had been talking about....
    02-13-2016 10:11 AM
    I have already reported this via the feedback multiple times and upvoted similar ones.... Just posting here to see if anyone got any ideas.

I guess that was the bug he had been talking about....
    Oh right. I'm still just waking up and drinking coffee haha.
    02-13-2016 10:21 AM
    I always perform a couple of soft reset followed by a shutdown before charging.
    02-13-2016 01:24 PM
    First day after switching to the Insider Release Preview with .107. After a a full charge last night I am getting excellent battery life on my 1520, down about 1/3 after about 9 hours of light use today. Maybe they have turned the corner with the Insider Release Preview settings for telemetry?
    02-13-2016 04:21 PM
    Well, all I can say is since the .107 update, battery use on the 950 is worse. After 3hrs from a full charge I'm at 48%.
    02-13-2016 04:33 PM
    Terence,
    There are a couple reasons this could happen but I would say it is purely a battery issue.

My 1520 had brilliant battery life. From 10586.11 I installed this build on my daily device (1520), and a couple days after I was at a concert and tried to take vid, and pictures and the device just died 'critically low on battery'.

I did quite a bit of checking, and suggestions were posed that there is a different algorithm that comes with W10 that can affect battery cycles and life. Others (and my own assessment), believed it was battery failure.

I had the battery replaced and it's been fine ever since (now running on 10586.71).

Battery life is not the same as it used to be with W8.1, but I would say that is due to firmware incompatibilities with the 1520 and W10. With W8.1 I used to get around 36 hrs of medium to light use. With W10 and the same usage I get around 20hrs.

A number of apps on W10 are resource devouring scumbags... esp the social media ones like Facebook - it is horrible on W10M sucking battery life very quickly. There clearly needs optimisation with updating and data use etc.
    Madam ImAdam likes this.
    02-13-2016 06:21 PM
    My 11My 1520 seemed to always have the best battery life out of any phone that I had.
    My new 950XL seems to be about the same for battery life.
    My daughter is using my 1520 as a tablet right now and is still using one of the more recently insider Builds and it is fine.

Id think you either have a hardware/battery issue or just a defunct install of the OS somehow.
    The only thing to do now is a clean install of Win 8.1 with the Windows Phone Recovery tool then install the preview app again.

I generally do clean installs without allowing a backup during the install just in case but so far with the 950XL I have just let it update normally without any wipe and fresh install.
    Jazmac likes this.
    02-13-2016 06:24 PM
    My wife's 1520 has exactly the same issue as you described in the post at the beginning of this thread! It happened after one of the 10586 builds, I think. Phone reboots on slightly provocation. I think it's a software issue. Resetting to W8.1 will be very painful though.
    02-13-2016 06:45 PM
    My 11My 1520 seemed to always have the best battery life out of any phone that I had.
    My new 950XL seems to be about the same for battery life.
    My daughter is using my 1520 as a tablet right now and is still using one of the more recently insider Builds and it is fine.

Id think you either have a hardware/battery issue or just a defunct install of the OS somehow.
    The only thing to do now is a clean install of Win 8.1 with the Windows Phone Recovery tool then install the preview app again.

I generally do clean installs without allowing a backup during the install just in case but so far with the 950XL I have just let it update normally without any wipe and fresh install.
    I have already done clean installs as mentioned earlier. I even tested on clean install of wp8.1 and w10m and only w10m behave like this. Battery usage under high load in wp8.1 was normal.
    02-13-2016 07:50 PM
    I had this same issue with my 1520. Thought it was the battery going bad and ordered a new one on eBay. But the original battery was from 2014, so I wasn't too sure. But after installing the new battery, it won't charge above 82% (keep in mind I reset the phone to factory windows 10 10586.107, but not using the recovery software to return to 8.1 first. Do you think this is related?
    02-13-2016 09:08 PM
    I had this same issue with my 1520. Thought it was the battery going bad and ordered a new one on eBay. But the original battery was from 2014, so I wasn't too sure. But after installing the new battery, it won't charge above 82% (keep in mind I reset the phone to factory windows 10 10586.107, but not using the recovery software to return to 8.1 first. Do you think this is related?
    I guess this is some what related to the interplay of the hardware and the os. It is weird that you cannot fully charge it provided that the replacement is genuine. I guess that's a related problem as the battery agent may not be reporting a correct charge level.
    02-13-2016 11:56 PM
    It can be your battery you know, they don't have unlimited lifetime!
    A Lithium battery, will become bad after 1000 or so charges.
    Yup, it's pretty much the battery. I was facing the exact same problem on my 1520 before moving to 950XL. My 1520 was running Windows Phone 8.1. Strangely, my 920 battery doesn't show this of strange behavior. I guess 1520 battery is of a poorer quality.
    02-14-2016 06:11 PM
    Had exactly the same problem with my L1520. Devide started to shut off suddenly when there was 60% or even more charge left. Changed battery (from ebay) about a month ago and everything has been working fine since that. The phone is about 20 months old and has been charged every night. There was no evidence that the problem was related to any installed builds. Now running the latest, which seems to be excellent.
    02-15-2016 01:58 AM
80 1234