Critical phone experience breaking battery level bug on builds of 10586

henry-c-n

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
First day after switching to the Insider Release Preview with .107. After a a full charge last night I am getting excellent battery life on my 1520, down about 1/3 after about 9 hours of light use today. Maybe they have turned the corner with the Insider Release Preview settings for telemetry?

tropolite

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Terence,
There are a couple reasons this could happen but I would say it is purely a battery issue.

My 1520 had brilliant battery life. From 10586.11 I installed this build on my daily device (1520), and a couple days after I was at a concert and tried to take vid, and pictures and the device just died 'critically low on battery'.

I did quite a bit of checking, and suggestions were posed that there is a different algorithm that comes with W10 that can affect battery cycles and life. Others (and my own assessment), believed it was battery failure.

I had the battery replaced and it's been fine ever since (now running on 10586.71).

Battery life is not the same as it used to be with W8.1, but I would say that is due to firmware incompatibilities with the 1520 and W10. With W8.1 I used to get around 36 hrs of medium to light use. With W10 and the same usage I get around 20hrs.

A number of apps on W10 are resource devouring scumbags... esp the social media ones like Facebook - it is horrible on W10M sucking battery life very quickly. There clearly needs optimisation with updating and data use etc.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
My 11My 1520 seemed to always have the best battery life out of any phone that I had.
My new 950XL seems to be about the same for battery life.
My daughter is using my 1520 as a tablet right now and is still using one of the more recently insider Builds and it is fine.

I?d think you either have a hardware/battery issue or just a defunct install of the OS somehow.
The only thing to do now is a clean install of Win 8.1 with the Windows Phone Recovery tool then install the preview app again.

I generally do clean installs without allowing a backup during the install just in case but so far with the 950XL I have just let it update normally without any wipe and fresh install.

sa56g

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
My wife's 1520 has exactly the same issue as you described in the post at the beginning of this thread! It happened after one of the 10586 builds, I think. Phone reboots on slightly provocation. I think it's a software issue. Resetting to W8.1 will be very painful though.

terence chan

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
My 11My 1520 seemed to always have the best battery life out of any phone that I had.
My new 950XL seems to be about the same for battery life.
My daughter is using my 1520 as a tablet right now and is still using one of the more recently insider Builds and it is fine.

I?d think you either have a hardware/battery issue or just a defunct install of the OS somehow.
The only thing to do now is a clean install of Win 8.1 with the Windows Phone Recovery tool then install the preview app again.

I generally do clean installs without allowing a backup during the install just in case but so far with the 950XL I have just let it update normally without any wipe and fresh install.

I have already done clean installs as mentioned earlier. I even tested on clean install of wp8.1 and w10m and only w10m behave like this. Battery usage under high load in wp8.1 was normal.

phxchristian

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I had this same issue with my 1520. Thought it was the battery going bad and ordered a new one on eBay. But the original battery was from 2014, so I wasn't too sure. But after installing the new battery, it won't charge above 82% (keep in mind I reset the phone to factory windows 10 10586.107, but not using the recovery software to return to 8.1 first. Do you think this is related?

terence chan

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
I had this same issue with my 1520. Thought it was the battery going bad and ordered a new one on eBay. But the original battery was from 2014, so I wasn't too sure. But after installing the new battery, it won't charge above 82% (keep in mind I reset the phone to factory windows 10 10586.107, but not using the recovery software to return to 8.1 first. Do you think this is related?

I guess this is some what related to the interplay of the hardware and the os. It is weird that you cannot fully charge it provided that the replacement is genuine. I guess that's a related problem as the battery agent may not be reporting a correct charge level.

GF Wong

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
It can be your battery you know, they don't have unlimited lifetime!
A Lithium battery, will become bad after 1000 or so charges.

Yup, it's pretty much the battery. I was facing the exact same problem on my 1520 before moving to 950XL. My 1520 was running Windows Phone 8.1. Strangely, my 920 battery doesn't show this of strange behavior. I guess 1520 battery is of a poorer quality.

rph2

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Had exactly the same problem with my L1520. Devide started to shut off suddenly when there was 60% or even more charge left. Changed battery (from ebay) about a month ago and everything has been working fine since that. The phone is about 20 months old and has been charged every night. There was no evidence that the problem was related to any installed builds. Now running the latest, which seems to be excellent.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I have been reflecting this problem to microsoft for quite a long period of time that, the battery level of my 1520 will drop suddenly from a high level, say 90%, to a critical level that the phone shuts itself down when I was doing some light work on the phone like typing documents or browsing on wifi.
The problem has been strange because if I charge the battery immediately after it shuts itself down, it can charge up to a point that it will become fully charged suddenly. However, if I leave it for roughly an hour or so, its battery capacity returned to 80-90% without charging. Therefore, I think it is less likely to be a hardware problem but rather a software one.
I have been reporting this to them when I get I new cumulative update for 10586 and it seems that the problem is still not fixed with the latest 10586.107.
I would like to ask if anyone had experienced similar situation? I can hardly use the phone on a day to day basis without a power bank.

Been there, done that. You have a bad battery. Just replace it and you're gold again. Cost less than 20 bucks. I replaced the one in my 1520 and I can get 2 days and some change per charge light to medium use. 3 days with light use meaning just phone, texting and some web. Don't know what to tell you about other phones but this is what resolved my issue.

bburgarelli

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I can confirm the same behaviour on the L1320. Battery drops to critical suddenly and the phone turns off a little after.

It's not the battery. Roll back to 8.1 and everything is normal. I had this issue with .29, it was "solved" on .36, returned on .63 and still present on .107.
If you wait a few minutes before turning the phone back on, you can use it for hours at 0% battery level.

Spindlebox

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I experienced a catastrophic failure of the battery on my L1520 yesterday evening, running 10586.107. The battery which is barely 6 months old, the original having been replaced after I suspect Denim wrecked it, showed over 50% remaining in the evening and simply refused to charge when I plugged it in. Thinking it was a fault which required a soft reset, I did one and the phone wouldn't come back on. In panic I tried hard resetting, nothing. I tried leaving it charged for an hour or so, nothing. Finally I decided to use the Windows Recovery Tool and the phone came back on. Having going through the process of flashing the phone and re-installing Windows Mobile 8 (or 8.1), the phone did not go to the "set-up" screen, as it should do. I was left staring at a black blank screen. I re-run the process a couple of times, same. Now seriously suspecting the battery, I decided to replace it with my old original battery, which the Nokia shop gave me when they replaced it, and which I had thoughtfully decided to keep. Guess what? The phone came on and I went through the set-up sequence, right through to the 10586.107 update. I then did a hard reset and set up my phone from scratch (no restore). I left my phone on charge all night (due to the faulty original battery).

While I was restoring my phone, I decided to put my "dead" battery in a ziplock bag and put it in the freezer. This morning, satisfied with the recovery on my phone, I took the phone off charge and within 15 mins, it died - the old battery's problem struck again! So with very little choice, I took the "dead" battery out of the freezer, waited an hour, and then popped it back into my L1520. Guess what? It's still DEAD! Even when on a charger.

Without knowing for certain whether or not 10586.107, in itself, killed my battery, the only thing to do now is to replace my battery once more, and see what happens. Since I cannot vouch for the Denim update (after what happened to my original battery), using 10586.107 does not seem a risky proposal, battery-wise. The funny thing is, I have been on .107 for a few days now and things have been generally okay, except for the People app which has been misbehaving since .71, and the battery seemed to be showing signs of durability, so for this to happen, I just hope it is because I failed to do a hard reset after installing .107. I thought we were pass all that "hard reset" nonsense by now!

There we go folks, my story. I cannot say I am bitter because after all, I am messing around with preview software and these things, while painful, we cannot say we weren't warned! I don't imagine a test-pilot of an experimental aircraft believes he has a 100% chance of returning to terra ferma when he climbs into the cockpit.

Brett Sites

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I have had the same issue with all of the Windows 10 iterations. When on Windows 8.1, the phone works phenomenally well and I don't have any battery issues. On Windows 10, I could be simply trying to do a check-in with the Facebook app and have 49% battery when the phone shuts down. (Mine doesn't do the loud pop thing. It simply shuts down.) When I turn the phone back on, the battery level is significantly lower. I carry a portable charger with me because I like the features of Windows 10, but I do occasionally roll it back to 8.1 if I have a busy weekend ahead and need the battery life without interruption when taking photos.

terence chan

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
I have had the same issue with all of the Windows 10 iterations. When on Windows 8.1, the phone works phenomenally well and I don't have any battery issues. On Windows 10, I could be simply trying to do a check-in with the Facebook app and have 49% battery when the phone shuts down. (Mine doesn't do the loud pop thing. It simply shuts down.) When I turn the phone back on, the battery level is significantly lower. I carry a portable charger with me because I like the features of Windows 10, but I do occasionally roll it back to 8.1 if I have a busy weekend ahead and need the battery life without interruption when taking photos.

I guess we need to wait for an official firmware for the 1520 on w10m then.

Phillip Tshabalala1

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
My wife's Lumia 1520 and my 640 Dual SIM LTE don't charge at all with the standard 1A chargers after updating to 10586.71. They both only charge with my tablets 2,5A charger. It's a nightmare currently as I travel often and can't recharge on the road. I'm obviously worried about the damage to battery too. Urgent patch needed

Last edited:

terence chan

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
My wife's Lumia 1520 and my 640 Dual SIM LTE don't charge at all with the standard 1A chargers after updating to 10586.71. They both only charge with my tablets 2,5A charger. It's a nightmare currently as I travel often and can't recharge on the road. I'm obviously worried about the damage to battery too. Urgent patch needed

More and more problems surfaced 😑

phxchristian

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
It looked about the same as the existing battery, the only difference is that the screen printed text on the battery wasn't as sharp as the old one. It discharges at about the same rate as the old one prior to the update (on 10586.107, which is the build I'm on with the new battery). It gets me through a couple days even at 83% (100%) max charge. It seems like it was the battery to me, but who knows, it may just be that the phone was old enough that the original battery was more than ready to be replaced. The phone had lived on the charger periodically for up to a whole day (I work from home so sometimes I don't unplug it).

harlemyin

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
i have the same problem, after some test, i think my battery is fine, it cause by OS or charge software.
updated from 8.1 to wp 10 few weeks ago, then i faced this problem, it was not seen by wp 8.1.
this week i use aida64 to watch the process of charge, according the basic knowledge of li-on battery, if charging Amps lower than 100ma, the charge-chip will shut the charge process off, and think the battery is now fully charged.
aida64 can show charge rate of battery, shows it as mw, mw=ma*v, fully charged li-on battery has voltage of 3.8v, it means when charge rate lower than 400mw lumia 1520 will shut the charge off, and shows 100% fully charge of battery.
but during the observation i found, in wp 10, it the charge rate can be lower than 400 mw by 80% charge, and than suddenly shows 100% fully charged.
that cause the problem, actually it is only 80% charged, but shows 100%.
if the battery is defect, we will see the same problem, but i test it another way:
when charge rate is below 1000mw, i stop charge, and use phone for 5 to 10 minutes to waste 2% battery, then charge it again, it will start from 3500mw charge and slowly down to 1000mw, Continued for half hour, in this half hour it will charged from 78% to 85%, i repeat this method, finally get my 1520 really fully charged.
before i get 100% to 80% for about 10 minutes using, because it is not really 100% charged, only the charge Amps lower than 100ma,and just 80% been charged.
after this method, i get very normal Experience just like by wp8.1, no more suddenly turned off by 20%, or very quickly from 100% down to 80%.
but it will not fix the problem, i must use this method by every charge, otherwise, using normal charge, it will just be charged for 80% or 70%, and shows 100%.

the perfect charge process for li-on battery is: first high Amps about 1.5a or 2a for a little while, then lower about 1a for a long time untill it be charged for 85%, in the end from 85% to 100% using very small Amps under 500ma to protect battery, when it is lower than 100ma, the chip will shut off charge.

the problem by wp10, it reachs 100ma too soon, but it is not really fully charged, when you use your phone for minutes, and charge it again, it will be charged again from 1a down to 100ma for a while

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12