02-28-2016 12:43 PM
80 123 ...
tools
    I have been reflecting this problem to microsoft for quite a long period of time that, the battery level of my 1520 will drop suddenly from a high level, say 90%, to a critical level that the phone shuts itself down when I was doing some light work on the phone like typing documents or browsing on wifi.
    The problem has been strange because if I charge the battery immediately after it shuts itself down, it can charge up to a point that it will become fully charged suddenly. However, if I leave it for roughly an hour or so, its battery capacity returned to 80-90% without charging. Therefore, I think it is less likely to be a hardware problem but rather a software one.
    I have been reporting this to them when I get I new cumulative update for 10586 and it seems that the problem is still not fixed with the latest 10586.107.
    I would like to ask if anyone had experienced similar situation? I can hardly use the phone on a day to day basis without a power bank.
    02-11-2016 01:45 PM
    It can be your battery you know, they don't have unlimited lifetime!
    A Lithium battery, will become bad after 1000 or so charges.
    gpobernardo likes this.
    02-11-2016 02:43 PM
    It can be your battery you know, they don't have unlimited lifetime!
    A Lithium battery, will become bad after 1000 or so charges.
    Yes, I know there is a recharge cycle for li-ion batteries. However, I have an app counting the charger cycle and it is only 200+ cycles.
    The problem is its inconsistences. It sometimes drop normally to roughly 60% then shut down. It sometimes shut down from 90% even with similar workload.
    02-11-2016 09:43 PM
    Does it shutdown or hard off?

And I would suggest it is a faulty battery, the battery reports it's status to the os, and if it's reporting the wrong thing then the os will try to mitigate.

There are quite slot of things that could break a battery, such as sudden temperature changes, shorts, chemical imbalance etc.

And there are quite a few reasons mitigation could be taken, such as trying to stop thermal overrun.
    02-12-2016 03:45 AM

And I would suggest it is a faulty battery, the battery reports it's status to the os, and if it's reporting the wrong thing then the os will try to mitigate.

There are quite slot of things that could break a battery, such as sudden temperature changes, shorts, chemical imbalance etc.

And there are quite a few reasons mitigation could be taken, such as trying to stop thermal overrun.
    It is a hard off. Just pop suddenly. But it only happened when I am on 10586. No problem regarding batteries before except apps hanging in previous builds...
    02-12-2016 08:48 AM
    I've a 1520 and never had that issue on any OS version. It could be that the previous firmware install might have issues that's causing this to happen? You could try restoring back to 8.1 stock using WDRT and then perform a clean install to WM10 followed by another hard reset. Do not restore your backup and setup for device. Hopefully it would solve your issue. The important notes here are:

1) clean install
    2) firmware flash
    3) no restore from backup
    02-12-2016 08:55 AM
    I'm going to pop in and say it isn't software, you might also want to try and put your phone into a plastic bag the next time it shuts itself off and toss it into a freezer for an hour or two, but either way, it screams a battery issue, especially since I haven't heard of anyone else having the same issue as you on these forums (and I stalk these forums a lot...).
    windobuddies625 likes this.
    02-12-2016 09:22 AM
    Definitely sounds battery related. Li-ion batteries, when tired, can have a severely depleted chemical reaction resulting in less Mah. This can cause issues of 'rapid discharge' and 'rapid charge'. The thought's of Zulfigar and the freezer, is quite an old trick, but in the past it has worked for me. I never let my battery get critically low as this can also damage the battery. Also, how the battery was conditioned, when new, also has an effect with regards to lifespan. They have a finite lifespan. In my e-cig I can kill a battery in no time if it isn't conditioned correctly when new, or if I keep running it critically low. Go for a new batt if possible.
    02-12-2016 09:34 AM
    I have been reflecting this problem to microsoft for quite a long period of time that, the battery level of my 1520 will drop suddenly from a high level, say 90%, to a critical level that the phone shuts itself down when I was doing some light work on the phone like typing documents or browsing on wifi.
    The problem has been strange because if I charge the battery immediately after it shuts itself down, it can charge up to a point that it will become fully charged suddenly. However, if I leave it for roughly an hour or so, its battery capacity returned to 80-90% without charging. Therefore, I think it is less likely to be a hardware problem but rather a software one.
    I have been reporting this to them when I get I new cumulative update for 10586 and it seems that the problem is still not fixed with the latest 10586.107.
    I would like to ask if anyone had experienced similar situation? I can hardly use the phone on a day to day basis without a power bank.
    I have the same issue with my 1320. But it happened to me even without downloading and installing the build .29. I just enrolled and the phone restarted in win 8.1 and i started to face this issue. Been living with this for two months
    02-12-2016 09:37 AM

Good call! As mentioned in my post, charging, conditioning etc AND temp all have influences on battery life. My wife always run her 640 critically low, and battery didn't last long! They need charge in them to keep the chemical reactions viable and as you say, balanced
    02-12-2016 09:40 AM
    Is the freezer thing a real thing ??? XD
    02-12-2016 09:41 AM
    Those are the exact signs of a battery that has become faulty and worn out.
    02-12-2016 09:42 AM
    Is the freezer thing a real thing ??? XD
    Yes actually, there's a whole science behind it, but it does actually work.
    02-12-2016 09:45 AM
    Yes actually, there's a whole science behind it, but it does actually work.
    So what exactly does it do?
    02-12-2016 09:47 AM
    Those are the exact signs of a battery that has become faulty and worn out.
    Hey but is it possible the software ruined the battery? Coz before my phone restarted for the build .29 update i used to get 30hours on my 1320.
    02-12-2016 09:48 AM
    Hey but is it possible the software ruined the battery? Coz before my phone restarted for the build .29 update i used to get 30hours on my 1320.
    Who said software ruined your battery? It's most likely that the battery just happen to hit the fan when you installed .29 on your phone, not because you had .29 on your phone.
    02-12-2016 09:54 AM
    Who said software ruined your battery? It's most likely that the battery just happen to hit the fan when you installed .29 on your phone, not because you had .29 on your phone.
    I dint say software ruined. I asked of it cud. But i dint download or install . 29 after I enrolled , my phone restarted and there was the .29 update. But i dint download or install it back then. But battery probs started from then
    02-12-2016 10:12 AM
    I dint say software ruined. I asked of it cud. But i dint download or install . 29 after I enrolled , my phone restarted and there was the .29 update. But i dint download or install it back then. But battery probs started from then
    Sorry, I misread your question...sure, it's possible. But, like the others have said, batteries don't last forever and it's most likely it has become faulty.

Now, the whole "I didn't download and install but restarted my phone and appears .29 update with battery problems starting 'back then' "...
    Are saying that you encountered battery problems when you received a notification to install .29?
    02-12-2016 10:30 AM
    A little update to the situation.
    I just encountered a force shut down when reading some pdf documents. I then plug in the charger and the phone starts. The battery % was roughly 50% when the phone shuts itself down and it was 2% when it restart with the charger plugged in.
    I then remove the charger once the phone is unlocked (phone wont even start without a power source) and I have been using it at 2% for 2 hours with web browsing and some light gaming.
    Seems weird and definitely not related to old battery in my opinion but I still appreciate all your inputs and opinions.
    Madam ImAdam likes this.
    02-12-2016 11:13 AM
    Sorry, I misread your question...sure, it's possible. But, like the others have said, batteries don't last forever and it's most likely it has become faulty.

Now, the whole "I didn't download and install but restarted my phone and appears .29 update with battery problems starting 'back then' "...
    Are saying that you encountered battery problems when you received a notification to install .29?
    Yes that's exactly what I'm saying.

1.battery was tip top condition
    2.enrolled for insiders...
    3.phone restarted
    4.notification to download build .29
    ... Battery problems ever since.. I hard reset and stuck with 8.1.. For two months. But past three weeks im on build . 29
    02-12-2016 11:28 AM

P.s the phone is almost 2 years.. May end would make it two.
    02-12-2016 11:29 AM
    A little update to the situation.
    I just encountered a force shut down when reading some pdf documents. I then plug in the charger and the phone starts. The battery % was roughly 50% when the phone shuts itself down and it was 2% when it restart with the charger plugged in.
    I then remove the charger once the phone is unlocked (phone wont even start without a power source) and I have been using it at 2% for 2 hours with web browsing and some light gaming.
    Seems weird and definitely not related to old battery in my opinion but I still appreciate all your inputs and opinions.
    I would also say faulty battery I guess like mine.
    02-12-2016 11:30 AM
    It is very very strange. The battery is clearly discharging... Otherwise, I don't know what the phone is running on.
    P.s. I am still on 2%.
    02-12-2016 11:32 AM
    It is very very strange. The battery is clearly discharging... Otherwise, I don't know what the phone is running on.
    P.s. I am still on 2%.
    1) You can argue the fact about the OS being at fault but an old and worn out battery will make your phone act in the exact way as you described.
    2) You can roll back to 8.1 and gauge it yourself. You will most likely encounter the same erratic battery usage as well.
    3) Battery apps to monitor charge cycles and such are useless. They would need to read that info from the battery itself which they don't. You could be well beyond the charge cycle that the app is reporting. Even then, batteries can wear out long before the estimated life expectancy.

I'm not sure what anybody else can tell you beyond what has already been stated from others.
    02-12-2016 11:53 AM
    Ok. Thanks for all your input and suggestions. Here is what I have done.
    First, I backed up all files and do a hard reset without restoring and restoring points back to wp 8.1.
    I then installed gfx bench from the store and stress test it on battery. It ran through all the test without any problem and it consumed roughly 15% of the juice from the battery.
    Next, I upgraded to w10m on the fast ring then do a hard reset to its clean w10m installation and completely recharge the phone.
    I then again run all the stress test and the phone pop off after running only two of the sub-tests. Similarly, it wont turn on on battery and so I plug the charger in and the battery dropped to 10% from 100% before benchmark. It then takes roughly 10mins to charge from 10% to 100%.
    And finally, I reset the phone once more and returned to my previously backed up restore point.
    So........ Suggestions?
    02-12-2016 04:40 PM
80 123 ...