05-13-2016 03:38 PM
75 123
tools
    Sounds like NEXT lock screen.
    Yes, Next lock screen and the launcher Arrow are both Microsoft products. From what I have seen Arrow looks a bit more like the generic android UI but adds a usage based home screen, a history screen, widget screen and a people screen with communication history. The irony is that last thing is something they removed from Windows 10.
    libra89, Guytronic and theefman like this.
    02-17-2016 10:29 AM
    My next phone will definitely be an Android device unless MWC yields some impressive third party hardware. Windows 10 mobile still isn't ready, and I can guarantee we will still be on 8.1 by the time Build 2016 rolls around. Maybe they will announce the next version before they've even finished the current one! Ha!

8.1 still works fine, and app wise its probably still a better investment than w10 given the sheer number of older apps that do not work on the new OS. Cortana also works better on 8.1. W10 Cortana is a huge let down.
    02-17-2016 10:39 AM
    Yes, Next lock screen and the launcher Arrow are both Microsoft products. From what I have seen Arrow looks a bit more like the generic android UI but adds a usage based home screen, a history screen, widget screen and a people screen with communication history. The irony is that last thing is something they removed from Windows 10.
    Thanks to both of you, I tried it. They both look great and worked great but the inconsistency between launchers bugged me to no end. Not the fault of the launcher, I just mean like opening the phone app, and having it show the old launcher.
    Guytronic likes this.
    02-17-2016 11:07 AM
    nothing for you here OP, guess you could try the ms apps on android so you don't have to lose that win10 pc for a chromebook, that later part is likely to be regrettable at some point, just as going from android to wp for most people, and who knows, they say the ms experience is better on android
    02-17-2016 11:28 AM
    nothing for you here OP, guess you could try the ms apps on android so you don't have to lose that win10 pc for a chromebook, that later part is likely to be regrettable at some point, just as going from android to wp for most people, and who knows, they say the ms experience is better on android
    Well, I don't think I'd ditch a PC for Chromebook. I need to continue being able run my ancient copy of MS money, haha! I would consider a Chromebook as a secondary, though.
    02-17-2016 11:30 AM
    Thanks to both of you, I tried it. They both look great and worked great but the inconsistency between launchers bugged me to no end. Not the fault of the launcher, I just mean like opening the phone app, and having it show the old launcher.
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean? It should only just show the one launcher unless it wasn't set as the default. I much prefer Arrow over TouchWiz. :)
    02-17-2016 01:34 PM
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean? It should only just show the one launcher unless it wasn't set as the default. I much prefer Arrow over TouchWiz. :)
    Interesting, maybe I did it wrong. When I loaded the launcher, clicking the message app, for example, takes me to the Google Now Launcher. Same for the lockscreen. To be fair, I have a 5x.
    02-17-2016 02:07 PM
    It could be an android version issue. The lock screen will double up but you're supposed to disable the default one. I haven't done that myself yet. Once the launcher is set as the default you shouldn't see the other one.
    02-17-2016 02:41 PM
    It could be an android version issue. The lock screen will double up but you're supposed to disable the default one. I haven't done that myself yet. Once the launcher is set as the default you shouldn't see the other one.
    Ah okay, I'll look into trying that, thank you. I don't know how to disable the default one (new to Android after years on WP, still learning things, lol). That is good to know though.
    02-17-2016 02:49 PM
    I have gone the other way. Long time Android user but go sick of the security issues and no fixes/OS updates unless you were running a Nexus. I has a MOTO, closest to stock, and even they lagged to hell rolling updates.

I grabbed a 950 in January, my first experience of Win 10 Phone. Love it and would never go back to android now.

I have some issues. I live in New Zealand and currently I have to pretend I am in Australia to get Cortana so I can use quiet hours and also the calendar does not display national holidays on the correct day.

I live with this as I really like the OS look and feel. It has more consistency than Android :)
    02-17-2016 04:07 PM
    I have gone the other way. Long time Android user but go sick of the security issues and no fixes/OS updates unless you were running a Nexus. I has a MOTO, closest to stock, and even they lagged to hell rolling updates.

I grabbed a 950 in January, my first experience of Win 10 Phone. Love it and would never go back to android now.

I have some issues. I live in New Zealand and currently I have to pretend I am in Australia to get Cortana so I can use quiet hours and also the calendar does not display national holidays on the correct day.

I live with this as I really like the OS look and feel. It has more consistency than Android :)
    Exactly the same with me, years ago I had a Win Mobile HP iPAQ hw6945, for its time it had everything; GPS, Cellphone, apps, and so on. From there I got a Galaxy (1), then I used Android on a Galaxy S III, S4, ZTE, up to a Sony Aqua, and usually got an OS update once a year! A couple of months I got an unlocked double SIM L950XL, and in just 2 months I have gotten today the third OS update, a couple of firmware updates and I just love being carrier free on both SIMs. My filosofy since ever and still, is to install the least possible programs (laptop) or apps (Smartphone) in order to avoid bloatware, crapware, etc. I even format and clean install everything on my laptops when I get them, I wouldn't mind doing the same on a Smartphone. Point being, I got all the apps that I need in my L950XL, even banking ones, but if there is really something that it's not in the store, I visit their mobile web page and set a tile to it. Won't get me wrong, I like the Galaxies Ss and Notes very much, after so many years I was thinking about a Note 5, but I am the tipe of person that does not get bothered by change, in fact I see it as a way to always learn more, so I am happy with W10M (and today's update), or with my families Androids, I can go back whenever I want and if Android offers better device. But for now my L950XL has best specs, great & often update, and almost no bloatware! I mean; from 700,000 to 1.6 millions apps sounds rediculous to me!
    anon(3463402) likes this.
    02-17-2016 10:34 PM

Me too, more OS updates in 2 months than 6 years on Android!
    ayngling and anon(3463402) like this.
    02-17-2016 10:37 PM
    In December, I got fed up with running W10 mobile on my Icon and decided to go with a Nexus and over to the Google ecosystem. And it HAS been a nice experience. I am a heavy desktop user, so my challenge has been making these two experiences close as possible. However, I am tempted by this new ATT $650 switch offer and the idea of a new 950. I did enjoy the Windows mobile experience very much, but several ridiculous things made me leave, and it was NOT about apps. So I am wondering;

Has Cortana improved in her ability to know your calendar? I was constantly being told I had something happening today/tomorrow that had been deleted or rescheduled days before. It should be instant.

Has Edge bookmark/reading list syncing improved? Things I saved would maybe show up on the other device days later, if at all.

Email rendering in outlook. I heard it was fixed, then not, then sorta....

These were my biggest gripes, actually. I want my **** to be synced immediately across devices, and have it all read each other correctly. Cortana is a joke when she doesn't actually know your calendar in real time.

Thanks!
    I would not switch if I were you and throw away my money on a 950...Win10mobile is still a buggy mess and the 950 despite it's a nice phone, the OS on it is a disgrace! Save you cash for another phone on Android...maybe the S7 which is close to release. Do yourself a favor and avoid any headaches. WP8.1 was ok...but 10 is a different crappy,buggy useless story.
    02-18-2016 04:25 AM
    W10M isn't that bad or crappy or buggy... It has some but everything is getting right with time as we are seeing.
    anon(3463402) likes this.
    02-18-2016 05:58 AM
    W10M isn't that bad or crappy or buggy... It has some but everything is getting right with time as we are seeing.
    When I look at a 1520 running 8.1 and another one running 10, and a 950 besides running 10 I cannot say anything else that Win10M is the worst I've seen, totally mediocre compared to 8.1. Low wifi speeds, broken BT, broken microSD handling, apps crashing, high battery usage, low graphics performance etc. WP8.1 was a joy to use day by day...
    02-18-2016 06:32 AM
    When I look at a 1520 running 8.1 and another one running 10, and a 950 besides running 10 I cannot say anything else that Win10M is the worst I've seen, totally mediocre compared to 8.1. Low wifi speeds, broken BT, broken microSD handling, apps crashing, high battery usage, low graphics performance etc. WP8.1 was a joy to use day by day...
    Neither of this happens on my XL. Sounds like you are either making things up or have serious problems with your particular handset.
    Maurizio Troso likes this.
    02-18-2016 06:42 AM
    I switched in december too but I'm really fed up with Android. Some time ago an ad popped up on my start screen and I got all the legit apps from app store and some kind weird japanese things but avast, word, myappfree, steam etc.
    I'll wait for some polishing, I'll jump back in the ship around august or so... I hope so...
    At first I was using all the apps that windows 10 didn't have - snapchat, chrome, google maps but I stopped using them quite fast. I got this phone only for 3 months and I already have stopped using them. Windows is really good platform.

Posted via Samsung Galaxy S6 but still love for Windows.
    davebwi likes this.
    02-18-2016 06:49 AM
    Neither of this happens on my XL. Sounds like you are either making things up or have serious problems with your particular handset.
    Get to a speedy wifi connection, meaning at least 75mbps and run a speed test on your XL and on the same network, same speed test server, run a test on a S6 for example or an iphone and check the results. you'll be amazed about how low the speed is on the XL compared to the other two. And also try and use a 5Ghz wifi too after the first test on a 2.4ghz...
    02-18-2016 06:52 AM
    Get to a speedy wifi connection, meaning at least 75mbps and run a speed test on your XL and on the same network, same speed test server, run a test on a S6 for example or an iphone and check the results. you'll be amazed about how low the speed is on the XL compared to the other two. And also try and use a 5Ghz wifi too after the first test on a 2.4ghz...
    Even with a difference I doesn't get low speeds on my 950/XL, always two digits (XXMbits) which is enough and it will improve over time, isn't slow I can stream 4K video without problems.
    02-18-2016 10:09 AM
    Well, I don't think I'd ditch a PC for Chromebook. I need to continue being able run my ancient copy of MS money, haha! I would consider a Chromebook as a secondary, though.
    I have never understood why a Chromebook is even remotely appealing besides price.
    02-18-2016 11:16 AM
    I have never understood why a Chromebook is even remotely appealing besides price.
    Same reason I have entirely de-emphasized and removed most if not all of MS's native W10 apps. Don't want them, don't use them. But I must have some desktop software that unfortunately a Chromebook can't do.
    02-18-2016 11:57 AM
    I will definitely not be switching. MS just does not seem to have the motivation to make their mobile OS viable. I think a lot of negative experience with Android people have seem to come from Samsung owners; when I decided to go Android, I insisted on the pure stuff and would only go with a Nexus. And it has been great, because that is how the OS is supposed to be. It's like getting a MS made device vs an OEM with all their bloatware.
    libra89 likes this.
    02-18-2016 11:59 AM
    There is no Big Official Release for all devices coming. Windows 10 as a Service is a continual improvement and feature add process. There will be no "Upgrades" to do, just newer versions of the windows 10 OS over time.

You can choose when you get the updates by using the Windows Insider Program or just wait until general user releases of each of the updates.
    02-18-2016 12:38 PM
    I will definitely not be switching. MS just does not seem to have the motivation to make their mobile OS viable. I think a lot of negative experience with Android people have seem to come from Samsung owners; when I decided to go Android, I insisted on the pure stuff and would only go with a Nexus. And it has been great, because that is how the OS is supposed to be. It's like getting a MS made device vs an OEM with all their bloatware.
    I strongly disagree. The latest insider Preview of Win10M is very, very good. Stable, fast and accurate. Cortana works well and all my needed apps are available. I only wish I had newer Hardware to run it on as I'm on VZW so the Lumia Icon is as new as I can get.

Tried an iPhone 6s+ and like it a lot but I keep going back to the Icon to try out new Win10M builds. If I had a 950XL I'd never go back to the iPhone but for now it's still a switch back and forth for me until a Flagship Win10M device on VZW is available!
    Maurizio Troso likes this.
    02-18-2016 12:43 PM
    I personally went from the Galaxy S3 (which I eventually rooted), to a Lumia Icon, to the Nexus 6, and finally to the 950 XL. I think both OSes have their pros and cons, but I always lean towards Windows though.

While my experience with the Nexus 6 was generally pretty good, it did have it's own annoyances. Like the 950 XL, a number of them were fixed with either OS or app updates. I ended up having one really annoying bug that locked the phone completely during calls. I could not wake the screen, increase the volume, end the call or anything. I basically had to hope the other person would hang up or hold the power button down until the phone restarted. I believe that was fixed after the Marshmallow update happened, but I had to wait almost two months for the "flagship" Nexus phone to get that update (even though it was still about 4 months sooner than any other phone).

Android has become less and less open source and much more like iOS seemingly. I really enjoy the general look and feel of notifications, the action center, and in general the material design of the newest versions of Android, but beyond that they have really lost me. There is less overall control over the device, the seemingly necessity of having the battery saver mode, the constant (yet generally slow) drain of the battery, the heavy handed forcing of Google Now on you (where as Cortana generally seems like a choice), etc.

I end up a little biased because I prefer Microsoft services like OneDrive and Office over Google Drive. Live Tiles are a huge plus for me. Android has always just seemed like putting a bunch of desktop icons on a phone screen. I've said it more than a few times on here, but the #1 feature I depend on from Windows Phone is the ability to have Cortana read out text messages through my car stereo. That is one hell of a feature and it's honestly shocking that Android and iOS don't have this feature. Lumia phones have also standardly had much better cameras and that keeps me with them too. And now, with the WaaS philosophy, the idea of not having to wait for OS updates is incredibly appealing.

Just my thoughts though!
    02-18-2016 03:55 PM
75 123