Has the OS improved since I switched?

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Im in a similar situation, such a shame, as i hate Android and iOS...why cant Microsoft pull its thumb out its posterior and sort it out, its big and ugly enough...shakes head

Prince Pusey

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
In December, I got fed up with running W10 mobile on my Icon and decided to go with a Nexus and over to the Google ecosystem. And it HAS been a nice experience.

Stay bro, some of us is still here (MS) cause we already invested a lot. As soon as i get the time, i am getting an reasonable android phone.

CapoFantasma97

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
So does your 1020 still have double tap? 10 pretty much burned me trying to use the XL, had to go back to my 1020 with 8.1. I cannot find a good reason to go 10 on the 1020.

Double tap works for me. I use it often.
The only real issue is that my soft touch Search button doesn't work, can't say if it's software or hardware related (my phone last year fell from 6 meters and broke only the external glass, but then during transport the shards ruined the display, and I changed it with one on ebay that has one of the soft touch buttons lights defective, so it may not be the only thing that doesn't work lol)

The19thD0CT0R

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Speaking of calendars, are you a heavy user of Google Calendars after using the Nexus? Yesterday I found out that Outlook Calendar (desktop and mobile) has this problem where it won't display any of your Google Calendar appointments/birthdays/holidays six months into the future. Because of that, I have to use One Calendar to view my Google Calendars. I'm sure the issue will be resolved eventually, but it's a problem for me right now because people share their calendars with me via my Google account. Just something to consider if you're going from Android to Windows Phone.

It doesn't really apply in my situation; when I switched to the Nexus, I switched all my services and my desktop usage to Google as well. I ceased using an outlook email address, and the software on mobile and desktop. Moved all my calendar stuff to G-Calendar too. So I really don't know.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like NEXT lock screen.

Yes, Next lock screen and the launcher Arrow are both Microsoft products. From what I have seen Arrow looks a bit more like the generic android UI but adds a usage based home screen, a history screen, widget screen and a people screen with communication history. The irony is that last thing is something they removed from Windows 10.

tohoshinki

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
My next phone will definitely be an Android device unless MWC yields some impressive third party hardware. Windows 10 mobile still isn't ready, and I can guarantee we will still be on 8.1 by the time Build 2016 rolls around. Maybe they will announce the next version before they've even finished the current one! Ha!

8.1 still works fine, and app wise its probably still a better investment than w10 given the sheer number of older apps that do not work on the new OS. Cortana also works better on 8.1. W10 Cortana is a huge let down.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Yes, Next lock screen and the launcher Arrow are both Microsoft products. From what I have seen Arrow looks a bit more like the generic android UI but adds a usage based home screen, a history screen, widget screen and a people screen with communication history. The irony is that last thing is something they removed from Windows 10.

Thanks to both of you, I tried it. They both look great and worked great but the inconsistency between launchers bugged me to no end. Not the fault of the launcher, I just mean like opening the phone app, and having it show the old launcher.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
nothing for you here OP, guess you could try the ms apps on android so you don't have to lose that win10 pc for a chromebook, that later part is likely to be regrettable at some point, just as going from android to wp for most people, and who knows, they say the ms experience is better on android

The19thD0CT0R

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
nothing for you here OP, guess you could try the ms apps on android so you don't have to lose that win10 pc for a chromebook, that later part is likely to be regrettable at some point, just as going from android to wp for most people, and who knows, they say the ms experience is better on android

Well, I don't think I'd ditch a PC for Chromebook. I need to continue being able run my ancient copy of MS money, haha! I would consider a Chromebook as a secondary, though.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to both of you, I tried it. They both look great and worked great but the inconsistency between launchers bugged me to no end. Not the fault of the launcher, I just mean like opening the phone app, and having it show the old launcher.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean? It should only just show the one launcher unless it wasn't set as the default. I much prefer Arrow over TouchWiz. :)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm not exactly sure what you mean? It should only just show the one launcher unless it wasn't set as the default. I much prefer Arrow over TouchWiz. :)

Interesting, maybe I did it wrong. When I loaded the launcher, clicking the message app, for example, takes me to the Google Now Launcher. Same for the lockscreen. To be fair, I have a 5x.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It could be an android version issue. The lock screen will double up but you're supposed to disable the default one. I haven't done that myself yet. Once the launcher is set as the default you shouldn't see the other one.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It could be an android version issue. The lock screen will double up but you're supposed to disable the default one. I haven't done that myself yet. Once the launcher is set as the default you shouldn't see the other one.

Ah okay, I'll look into trying that, thank you. I don't know how to disable the default one (new to Android after years on WP, still learning things, lol). That is good to know though.

Warren Leggatt

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
I have gone the other way. Long time Android user but go sick of the security issues and no fixes/OS updates unless you were running a Nexus. I has a MOTO, closest to stock, and even they lagged to hell rolling updates.

I grabbed a 950 in January, my first experience of Win 10 Phone. Love it and would never go back to android now.

I have some issues. I live in New Zealand and currently I have to pretend I am in Australia to get Cortana so I can use quiet hours and also the calendar does not display national holidays on the correct day.

I live with this as I really like the OS look and feel. It has more consistency than Android :)

VHMP01

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have gone the other way. Long time Android user but go sick of the security issues and no fixes/OS updates unless you were running a Nexus. I has a MOTO, closest to stock, and even they lagged to hell rolling updates.

I grabbed a 950 in January, my first experience of Win 10 Phone. Love it and would never go back to android now.

I have some issues. I live in New Zealand and currently I have to pretend I am in Australia to get Cortana so I can use quiet hours and also the calendar does not display national holidays on the correct day.

I live with this as I really like the OS look and feel. It has more consistency than Android :)

Exactly the same with me, years ago I had a Win Mobile HP iPAQ hw6945, for its time it had everything; GPS, Cellphone, apps, and so on. From there I got a Galaxy (1), then I used Android on a Galaxy S III, S4, ZTE, up to a Sony Aqua, and usually got an OS update once a year! A couple of months I got an unlocked double SIM L950XL, and in just 2 months I have gotten today the third OS update, a couple of firmware updates and I just love being carrier free on both SIMs. My filosofy since ever and still, is to install the least possible programs (laptop) or apps (Smartphone) in order to avoid bloatware, crapware, etc. I even format and clean install everything on my laptops when I get them, I wouldn't mind doing the same on a Smartphone. Point being, I got all the apps that I need in my L950XL, even banking ones, but if there is really something that it's not in the store, I visit their mobile web page and set a tile to it. Won't get me wrong, I like the Galaxies Ss and Notes very much, after so many years I was thinking about a Note 5, but I am the tipe of person that does not get bothered by change, in fact I see it as a way to always learn more, so I am happy with W10M (and today's update), or with my families Androids, I can go back whenever I want and if Android offers better device. But for now my L950XL has best specs, great & often update, and almost no bloatware! I mean; from 700,000 to 1.6 millions apps sounds rediculous to me!

VHMP01

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Me too, more OS updates in 2 months than 6 years on Android!

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
In December, I got fed up with running W10 mobile on my Icon and decided to go with a Nexus and over to the Google ecosystem. And it HAS been a nice experience. I am a heavy desktop user, so my challenge has been making these two experiences close as possible. However, I am tempted by this new ATT $650 switch offer and the idea of a new 950. I did enjoy the Windows mobile experience very much, but several ridiculous things made me leave, and it was NOT about apps. So I am wondering;

Has Cortana improved in her ability to know your calendar? I was constantly being told I had something happening today/tomorrow that had been deleted or rescheduled days before. It should be instant.

Has Edge bookmark/reading list syncing improved? Things I saved would maybe show up on the other device days later, if at all.

Email rendering in outlook. I heard it was fixed, then not, then sorta....

These were my biggest gripes, actually. I want my **** to be synced immediately across devices, and have it all read each other correctly. Cortana is a joke when she doesn't actually know your calendar in real time.

Thanks!
I would not switch if I were you and throw away my money on a 950...Win10mobile is still a buggy mess and the 950 despite it's a nice phone, the OS on it is a disgrace! Save you cash for another phone on Android...maybe the S7 which is close to release. Do yourself a favor and avoid any headaches. WP8.1 was ok...but 10 is a different crappy,buggy useless story.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
W10M isn't that bad or crappy or buggy... It has some but everything is getting right with time as we are seeing.

When I look at a 1520 running 8.1 and another one running 10, and a 950 besides running 10 I cannot say anything else that Win10M is the worst I've seen, totally mediocre compared to 8.1. Low wifi speeds, broken BT, broken microSD handling, apps crashing, high battery usage, low graphics performance etc. WP8.1 was a joy to use day by day...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss