Has the OS improved since I switched?

damonator98

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I kept my faith until a few weeks ago and then finally had enough and bought an iPhone 6S Plus.

I am sorry to say that I feel liberated. It is as if a great burden has been lifted and I no longer have to lie to myself and pretend that Windows Phone is fine.
I feel quite the same. Wp's design language is simply the best I've ever seen, but the main problems are apps, costumization and microsoft's inability to progress while implementing basic features (notification center in 2014 was cool, but a bit too late). My first smartphone was running Windows phone, so I wasn't really aware of Android news for many years (iphone just isn't my type of phone) and only recently I got fed up waiting for WM to change and seeing it slowly go android (except apps :D ) way, so I tried my friend's broken nexus 4. And I simply loved it. Android has changed a lot from 2.1 - 4.4 days. Now it looks acctually good and somewhat minimalistic, if you invest time in cleaning up the os. Gone are the days of clumsy ugly os with lag at every corner, dull launchers (I liked the HTC Sense, but others not so much). Whenever I feel lack of any functuonality there's an app for that. Want to change your clock ? You can ! Wan to add that particular feature ? Possible ! Wanna change your os ? Pick one of thousands of roms! Want to play that game your friend is playing ? No worries it surely is in the app store ! This is what I'am living through in past weeks. Wm has to improve A LOT to make me even consider going back. Moving to andoid was well worth the sacrifice I had to make while leaving wp. I've sold my 920 and now hoping to buy used xperia z2 in comming weeks. :)

Panos Athanasiou

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
for me actually its been a great experience. as i use notes a lot they sync fast on the one drive. now so does my calendar and i love live tiles they help so much see things without clicking or pinning something for a second time like i used on my android. got great battery life on my 535 phone and it never lags , freezes or resumes :p(been there once hated it). i can't talk about cortana through since i am in greece i am not pretty much using her even having her active :p but reading through the insider hub cortana has fixes in the redstone branch :D so w8 a bit longer before you try it again and at the redstone update i believe w10 will please everyone!.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I kept my faith until a few weeks ago and then finally had enough and bought an iPhone 6S Plus.

I am sorry to say that I feel liberated. It is as if a great burden has been lifted and I no longer have to lie to myself and pretend that Windows Phone is fine.

The iPhone with Microsofts apps and services works fantastically. The system itself is not as intuitive and easy to use but the hardware, features and the apps are a world apart. .

Agreed except I'm going for the Galaxy S7 Edge!!
Saying Win10 was not quite ready OS being released is one thing but damn this is still a work in progress 3 months later!! It's like pay $650 for a 950XL and be a beta tester!! Windows Mobile has gone and done it again, lost me and a whole bunch of other consumers..

Hoangboy

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Wait until Dec 2016 to think abt returning, it's now very messy the way MS market their device, very confusing upgrade path. In general, I think if MS can not simplify their strategy (who need a new ring just to update firmware, is it OTA inside setting menu not enough) W10m will just die this year, then you dont even need to think abt it again

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Agreed except I'm going for the Galaxy S7 Edge!!
Saying Win10 was not quite ready OS being released is one thing but damn this is still a work in progress 3 months later!! It's like pay $650 for a 950XL and be a beta tester!! Windows Mobile has gone and done it again, lost me and a whole bunch of other consumers..

I was one of the guys that bought into MS's theory and got a 950 back in December. Lucky for me, I've managed to sell it quickly before the resale price dropped. The phone was ok, the missing metal in design did not bother me, the camera was ok, the display was ok, but the OS...a total nightmare.my dad with his 535 was getting higher wifi speeds than I was...not to mention the poor microSD performance with any card, bluetooth slow transfers, phone forgetting about the alarm, quiet hours not working in auto mode, pressing three times on the power button to wake it up etc etc...and all these after a firmware update and latest OS update, no backups.
I won't buy into MS's crap again...and as someone here said, Ms's apps and services work like charm on other platforms. Anyone wanting a device to work and enjoy? Get an android or iphone and be done with the headches.

Timm Zahn

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP. I wanted to love W10M. I was willing to live with little bugs here and there. I just couldn't take it any longer either and moved to a Nexus 5x. If I win that 950XL, I'll give it another go, but I don't think I will pay for a W10M phone any time soon.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I have come to realize that android is really terrible. Lagdroid is very much an earned nick name. It is real despite people saying otherwise.

Many of the issues with WM10 appear to be MS copying android, lol. But it is really nice to have apps at least. There are apps I didn't have access to before and much better versions of other apps I use.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
On the contrary, most Androids I have handled do not deserve the name. Microstutter is something I think TouchWiz Samsung phones can but don't paint the ridiculously saturated market with such a broad brush. Calling Android laggy is the same as calling WP the platform with literally zero apps. Not true.

Many issues with W10M is simply MS not caring as much, working hard to catch up after throwing all their prior work away, and removing features without bothering to replace them.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
On the contrary, most Androids I have handled do not deserve the name. Microstutter is something I think TouchWiz Samsung phones can but don't paint the ridiculously saturated market with such a broad brush. Calling Android laggy is the same as calling WP the platform with literally zero apps. Not true.

Many issues with W10M is simply MS not caring as much, working hard to catch up after throwing all their prior work away, and removing features without bothering to replace them.

This is so well said...except the missing punctuation.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP. I wanted to love W10M. I was willing to live with little bugs here and there. I just couldn't take it any longer either and moved to a Nexus 5x. If I win that 950XL, I'll give it another go, but I don't think I will pay for a W10M phone any time soon.

I have paid....for a 950, only to find out what a buggy mess it is because of the mediocre OS! besides my main phone, an iphone 6, I still use a 1020 received from my office, but with 8.1. I'll never update it to 10. The phone is too nice to infect it with such a disease.

mmTL

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site

The iPhone with Microsofts apps and services works fantastically. The system itself is not as intuitive and easy to use but the hardware, features and the apps are a world apart.

I feel ripped off for having stood by Microsoft for all these years and I also know that it is likely that it has cost me seriously professionally. I don't really blame Microsoft but mainly myself but I am disappointed in their inability to get mobile right since I have been through WM6, WP7, WP8, WP8.1 and finally W10M. For a supposedly intelligent person that is many years of being too stupid.

Anyway, my take on it is that I prefer the bare bones Windows OS but it is not enough. I would not switch back yet but perhaps in a couple of years. My wife will stay on WIndows for the foreseeable future so I will keep an eye on it and hope for the best.

Awesome post, you totally nailed my thoughts exactly.

damonator98

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I have come to realize that android is really terrible. Lagdroid is very much an earned nick name. It is real despite people saying otherwise.

Many of the issues with WM10 appear to be MS copying android, lol. But it is really nice to have apps at least. There are apps I didn't have access to before and much better versions of other apps I use.
I have moved to xperia z2 (from lumia 920) and I strongly disagree with you. Over last weeks my phone has lagged zero times, no waiting, no stuttering, no '...loading..', no nothing that could be at least a bit similar to performance issue, and thats on a 2 year old phone... My mum's 640xl while being relatively 'new' has already been hard reseted once, because of performance issues, not event talking about 920... So my offer to you is: stop using cheap samsung (not The galaxy s line) or other cheap android phones and invest in better phone... Also if the lagging becomes unbearable try thinking about how bad wm10 would if at all work in your phone. :D

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I have moved to xperia z2 (from lumia 920) and I strongly disagree with you. Over last weeks my phone has lagged zero times, no waiting, no stuttering, no '...loading..', no nothing that could be at least a bit similar to performance issue, and thats on a 2 year old phone... My mum's 640xl while being relatively 'new' has already been hard reseted once, because of performance issues, not event talking about 920... So my offer to you is: stop using cheap samsung (not The galaxy s line) or other cheap android phones and invest in better phone... Also if the lagging becomes unbearable try thinking about how bad wm10 would if at all work in your phone. :D

I have a Note 4. I keep hearing a Nexus is the way to go. I wouldn't mind trying an xperia as well.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I keep hearing a Nexus is the way to go.

I've used Nexus devices almost exclusively for the last 3 years or so, and I'm a big fan. But at the same time I do not agree with those who say to go Nexus only. The other manufacturers certainly have compelling products. My wife switched to Samsung for a single reason: Samsung Pay. I'm half tempted to do it myself.

The biggest advantage of Nexus devices is prompt updates, but even that is overrated in my opinion. Don't get me wrong; I anticipate the updates as much as the next guy, but I do not see them as absolutely necessary. Functionality? Sure it is nice, but Android is already in the lead. There is no "suffering" in this department. Security? This is a valid concern, but in the real world this is not a fraction of the problem the media (and haters!) make it out to be. Bug fixes? Bugs are seldom a huge issue for the masses. I do not recall ever seeing an item in a bug fix list that I've actually experienced.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb