Now Paul Thurrott is saying Windows Phone (Mobile) isn't dead. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I don't give links (click bate) so if you're interested you can go to his website and read. But, he is now claiming that Windows Mobile isn't dead, its just going to be another version of Windows 10. He concluded by saying that Microsoft will keep the platform alive.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
The thing that is confusing is, he is now saying nothing different than Microsoft has been saying since they released the Windows 10 concept. But, for some reason, over the last few months he has been hammering the "windows phone is dead" drum hard. Lol.

Sent from my Surface 3

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Paul can be interesting but he likes too moan a bit too much.

Maybe so, but sadly, he gets quoted a lot by bloggers, so someone is paying attention to what he says. I found a Windows Phone Podcast today that appears to be based in the UK and the first episode I listened too they quoted him. Lol.

Sent from my Surface 3

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
There's an argument to be made that Windows Phone was never really alive. In 2013, when Nokia sold a record 9 million Lumias in a quarter, Android was activating over one million devices A DAY! Does that sound alive to anyone? The gap between the Xbox One and PS4 isn't even that bad. So even when Windows Phone was doing "good" it was still getting absolutely destroyed.

True, sales were on a very small uptick during the Ballmer era.
Also true, sales were still embarrassingly bad during the Ballmer era.

The way the current demise of Windows Phone is framed is as though this was a legitimate three horse race until Nadella purposely kneecapped its own product. Selling less than 1/10 of your competitor isn't a race. You've already lost.

And let's not forget that Nokia was hemorrhaging money for most of their Windows Phone venture. So Windows Phone wasn't selling enough and it was losing massive amounts of money. Nadella didn't kill Windows Phone. He was handed a zombie OS. This idea that Windows Phone was doing fine until Nadella arrived is a myth.

I understand, selling 9 million in a quarter is better than the 4.5 million Microsoft sold last quarter. Neither is good, though. Both are laughable when compared to the competition. A shift in strategy was absolutely necessary.

We could argue all day about what that strategy should be, but we must stop this misconception that selling less than 1/10 your competitor and losing hundreds of millions of dollars every quarter was sustainable.

Last edited:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Paul has been taking a lot of hits from people lately.

That's just how it goes for the tech writers.
The gut punching will continue no matter what side you pick.
He probably needs a break from followers wiping their feet on him.

mxyztplk

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Paul simply wrote himself a long memo on what "One Windows" means.

Presumably, he didn't get it a few weeks ago, but has now had a revelation.

(Or perhaps someone decided to reveal it to him somewhat bluntly.)

So it goes...

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't believe him, next time he would say MS w10m is gonna beat the crap out of iOS and Android and finally closing the app gap and gobble up the market share thereby taking the #1 Position.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
And let's not forget that Nokia was hemorrhaging money for most of their Windows Phone venture. Windows Phone wasn't selling enough and it was losing massive amounts of money. Nadella didn't kill Windows Phone. He was handed a zombie OS. This idea that Windows Phone was doing fine until Nadella arrived is a myth.

It wasn't doing fine but it was certainly in a better position than it is now. A zombie that's walking around is a lot more promising than one that's missing it's legs (and banking apps).

Who cares what Thurrott or any of these "experts" thinks.

stuartbritt

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes and no. In terms of whether something is "sustainable", "alive", "dead", or even "a good idea", market share is irrelevant. If they have 1% market share, but turn a good profit on their investment, then they would be idiots not to carry on.

The real point is when you say "losing hundreds of millions of dollars". If they are losing money, then sooner or later they have to stop, regardless of market share.

I accept that there is often an amount of correlation between market share and whether a product makes a profit, but let's not forget that it's perfectly possible to make a good profit on a very small market share, or make a massive loss on a large market share.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
he said windows phone dead not windows mobile

What's the difference?

The title of his article is "A Way Forward For Windows Phone". (Not Windows mobile)

"Microsoft is keeping the Windows phone platform that I care about alive and is delivering new handsets.". (Windows Phone, not mobile)

Sent from my Surface 3

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
It wasn't doing fine but it was certainly in a better position than it is now. A zombie that's walking around is a lot more promising than one that's missing it's legs (and banking apps).
Depends upon your definition of "better position". Ultimately it is a distinction without a difference.

Who cares what Thurrott or any of these "experts" thinks.
Many do. You cared enough to comment on what he said. If Thurrott and these other "experts" were so inconsequential to the discussion people would flat-out ignore them. If someone saw a homeless man on the street shouting out that iPhone sales will tank in 2016 you wouldn't give that statement a 2nd thought. And you certainly wouldn't respond to a thread that was discussing his comment. :winktongue:

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I think this goes hand in hand with Brad Sams hearing about a new approach. Add that to Evan Blass' tweet about things happening in Windows Mobile that will "blow your mind".

I believe they all heard something massive last week that caused the pessimism to make a u-turn.

I don't know what it is, but it sounds like Microsoft may have found a way forward AND partners to come along for the ride.

I have no info, but I've got a feeling that a phone like the HP Elite X3 will be on Verizon. Next week should be fun.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Thurrott, Rubino, Warren, Foley are just awful. The good analysts and reporters are following Apple or Google.

You do realize that these are just people doing their jobs, don't you? They are reporters covering a beat. The guy on the TV news covering a flood isn't responsible for the flood, he's just the reporter.

Maybe Apple and Google are a more sexy, more successful beat these days, but in some cases, they don't have a choice. They are told what to cover by their bosses. Even if they were freelancers who could cover what want, it's not as easy as just determining that they want to switch to covering Google.

What makes them experts (not "experts") is that they have developed contacts within Microsoft. They know many people that work within the company, in different capacities in different divisions. This is how they are able to develop news stories without waiting for press releases from the company, how they are able to confirm or deny rumors with any degree of success. To switch to a different company, and build up trusted contacts would take a long time. And then, when Google would start to falter, should they switch to whatever the new dominant platform would be? It would be a constant chase. That is why for better or worse, these reporters will probably continue to follow Microsoft.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb