The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
02-24-2016 05:30 PM
58 123
tools
    I don't give links (click bate) so if you're interested you can go to his website and read. But, he is now claiming that Windows Mobile isn't dead, its just going to be another version of Windows 10. He concluded by saying that Microsoft will keep the platform alive.
    02-15-2016 04:32 PM
    It's interesting that both him and Daniel are saying similar things.
    02-15-2016 04:35 PM
    The thing that is confusing is, he is now saying nothing different than Microsoft has been saying since they released the Windows 10 concept. But, for some reason, over the last few months he has been hammering the "windows phone is dead" drum hard. Lol.

Sent from my Surface 3
    v535 and Nicholas Maguire like this.
    02-15-2016 04:39 PM
    Paul can be interesting but he likes too moan a bit too much.
    02-15-2016 05:26 PM
    Paul can be interesting but he likes too moan a bit too much.

Maybe so, but sadly, he gets quoted a lot by bloggers, so someone is paying attention to what he says. I found a Windows Phone Podcast today that appears to be based in the UK and the first episode I listened too they quoted him. Lol.

Sent from my Surface 3
    02-15-2016 05:28 PM
    There's an argument to be made that Windows Phone was never really alive. In 2013, when Nokia sold a record 9 million Lumias in a quarter, Android was activating over one million devices A DAY! Does that sound alive to anyone? The gap between the Xbox One and PS4 isn't even that bad. So even when Windows Phone was doing "good" it was still getting absolutely destroyed.

True, sales were on a very small uptick during the Ballmer era.
    Also true, sales were still embarrassingly bad during the Ballmer era.

The way the current demise of Windows Phone is framed is as though this was a legitimate three horse race until Nadella purposely kneecapped its own product. Selling less than 1/10 of your competitor isn't a race. You've already lost.

And let's not forget that Nokia was hemorrhaging money for most of their Windows Phone venture. So Windows Phone wasn't selling enough and it was losing massive amounts of money. Nadella didn't kill Windows Phone. He was handed a zombie OS. This idea that Windows Phone was doing fine until Nadella arrived is a myth.

I understand, selling 9 million in a quarter is better than the 4.5 million Microsoft sold last quarter. Neither is good, though. Both are laughable when compared to the competition. A shift in strategy was absolutely necessary.

We could argue all day about what that strategy should be, but we must stop this misconception that selling less than 1/10 your competitor and losing hundreds of millions of dollars every quarter was sustainable.
    Last edited by HeyCori; 02-16-2016 at 11:00 PM.
    02-15-2016 05:36 PM
    Thurrott, Rubino, Warren, Foley are just awful. The good analysts and reporters are following Apple or Google.
    Kram Sacul and spazzmeister like this.
    02-15-2016 05:45 PM
    Paul has been taking a lot of hits from people lately.

That's just how it goes for the tech writers.
    The gut punching will continue no matter what side you pick.
    He probably needs a break from followers wiping their feet on him.
    Laura Knotek, libra89 and ven07 like this.
    02-15-2016 06:50 PM
    I remember back in the 90's, and he was a fly in the ointment.
    02-15-2016 07:00 PM
    Paul simply wrote himself a long memo on what "One Windows" means.

Presumably, he didn't get it a few weeks ago, but has now had a revelation.

(Or perhaps someone decided to reveal it to him somewhat bluntly.)

So it goes...
    02-15-2016 08:06 PM
    I wouldn't believe him, next time he would say MS w10m is gonna beat the crap out of iOS and Android and finally closing the app gap and gobble up the market share thereby taking the #1 Position.
    02-16-2016 12:47 AM
    And let's not forget that Nokia was hemorrhaging money for most of their Windows Phone venture. Windows Phone wasn't selling enough and it was losing massive amounts of money. Nadella didn't kill Windows Phone. He was handed a zombie OS. This idea that Windows Phone was doing fine until Nadella arrived is a myth.
    It wasn't doing fine but it was certainly in a better position than it is now. A zombie that's walking around is a lot more promising than one that's missing it's legs (and banking apps).

Who cares what Thurrott or any of these "experts" thinks.
    02-16-2016 02:53 AM
    Yes and no. In terms of whether something is "sustainable", "alive", "dead", or even "a good idea", market share is irrelevant. If they have 1% market share, but turn a good profit on their investment, then they would be idiots not to carry on.

The real point is when you say "losing hundreds of millions of dollars". If they are losing money, then sooner or later they have to stop, regardless of market share.

I accept that there is often an amount of correlation between market share and whether a product makes a profit, but let's not forget that it's perfectly possible to make a good profit on a very small market share, or make a massive loss on a large market share.
    02-16-2016 03:58 AM
    he said windows phone dead not windows mobile
    02-16-2016 04:52 AM
    he said windows phone dead not windows mobile

What's the difference?

The title of his article is "A Way Forward For Windows Phone". (Not Windows mobile)

"Microsoft is keeping the Windows phone platform that I care about alive and is delivering new handsets.". (Windows Phone, not mobile)

Sent from my Surface 3
    Nicholas Maguire likes this.
    02-16-2016 07:16 AM
    It wasn't doing fine but it was certainly in a better position than it is now. A zombie that's walking around is a lot more promising than one that's missing it's legs (and banking apps).
    Depends upon your definition of "better position". Ultimately it is a distinction without a difference.

Many do. You cared enough to comment on what he said. If Thurrott and these other "experts" were so inconsequential to the discussion people would flat-out ignore them. If someone saw a homeless man on the street shouting out that iPhone sales will tank in 2016 you wouldn't give that statement a 2nd thought. And you certainly wouldn't respond to a thread that was discussing his comment.
    02-16-2016 07:41 AM
    It's because he learned Kanye West will be designing a new windows phone.
    skt_diaz and HeyCori like this.
    02-16-2016 08:41 AM
    I think this goes hand in hand with Brad Sams hearing about a new approach. Add that to Evan Blass' tweet about things happening in Windows Mobile that will "blow your mind".

I believe they all heard something massive last week that caused the pessimism to make a u-turn.

I don't know what it is, but it sounds like Microsoft may have found a way forward AND partners to come along for the ride.

I have no info, but I've got a feeling that a phone like the HP Elite X3 will be on Verizon. Next week should be fun.
    02-16-2016 09:22 AM
    Thurrott, Rubino, Warren, Foley are just awful. The good analysts and reporters are following Apple or Google.
    You do realize that these are just people doing their jobs, don't you? They are reporters covering a beat. The guy on the TV news covering a flood isn't responsible for the flood, he's just the reporter.

Maybe Apple and Google are a more sexy, more successful beat these days, but in some cases, they don't have a choice. They are told what to cover by their bosses. Even if they were freelancers who could cover what want, it's not as easy as just determining that they want to switch to covering Google.

What makes them experts (not "experts") is that they have developed contacts within Microsoft. They know many people that work within the company, in different capacities in different divisions. This is how they are able to develop news stories without waiting for press releases from the company, how they are able to confirm or deny rumors with any degree of success. To switch to a different company, and build up trusted contacts would take a long time. And then, when Google would start to falter, should they switch to whatever the new dominant platform would be? It would be a constant chase. That is why for better or worse, these reporters will probably continue to follow Microsoft.
    Last edited by jmshub; 02-16-2016 at 09:55 AM. Reason: typo
    02-16-2016 09:27 AM
    Not sure what your point is - how good are those analysts at accurately reporting or analysing on Microsoft or Windows Phone specifically?
    02-16-2016 11:02 AM
    I think this goes hand in hand with Brad Sams hearing about a new approach. Add that to Evan Blass' tweet about things happening in Windows Mobile that will "blow your mind".

I believe they all heard something massive last week that caused the pessimism to make a u-turn.

I don't know what it is, but it sounds like Microsoft may have found a way forward AND partners to come along for the ride.

I have no info, but I've got a feeling that a phone like the HP Elite X3 will be on Verizon. Next week should be fun.

This ^

I'm sure it will be something he explains in detail during Windows Weekly this week.

Sent from my Surface 3
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-16-2016 11:16 AM
    This ^

I'm sure it will be something he explains in detail during Windows Weekly this week.

Sent from my Surface 3
    Not Paul. He won't be on Windows Weekly. He's taking a three day mini-vacation with his family. Brad Sams will be on Windows Weekly.

But I expect that's intentional. Sams avoided talking too much after dropping the "what if there is a Surface Phone BUT Microsoft doesn't make it" bomb on Friday. That's around when Blass tweeted about hearing something jaw dropping.

Paul will be there for Windows Weekly next week - and that's when Mobile World Congress is happening. Two things have already leaked. Alcatel is making a premium phone with Continuum and a Snapdragon 820. HP is making a Snapdragon 820 based phablet. Would not be surprised if there's more.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-16-2016 01:56 PM
    Really? You mean because they say it like it is? That's a bit of a broad biased statement to say that "The good analysts and reporters are following Apple or Google" Personally I like to hear the bad with the good. If anything they come across as more genuine than many tech reporters. Paul especially comes across to me as a human being. You can see he is a windows phone fan who is disappointed. Microsoft is his bread and butter. The fact that he is sometimes a bit pessimistic shows he is not just a front for Microsoft but covers it out of passion. I don't agree with everything he says but I don't blow him off because he thinks Windows Phone may be dead.
    02-16-2016 02:37 PM

Same can be said for the naysayers and those of us who are optimistic - as everyone has an opinion therefore they are not facts - unfortunately some act like they are.

Least, we the general public as a whole can be is civil when discussing or sharing opinions as opposed to acting like toddlers fighting over the last piece of candy.
    libra89, Laura Knotek and jmshub like this.
    02-16-2016 03:31 PM
    It's pretty clear that Microsoft is moving to make money or at least break even on the current x50 line. Thus bringing it's phone offerings in-line with it's other hardware offerings as "model" type devices for their software. With the end game encouraging OEMs to make the hardware and Microsoft licensing Windows software as they have traditionally done.

I have said for a long time, and I still believe, that the Qualcomm deal was a major reason mobile efforts failed. Google simply out "open"ed Microsoft by being both usable on any hardware and being open source. So despite Windows Phone being free or nearly it's still hobbled by the Qualcomm SoC requirement. This makes phones with windows still more expensive to produce in a world of very low margin phones.

So is "Windows Phone" dead because it has to be? If the mobile SKU of W10 is simply that, another SKU of windows 10, does the Qualcomm deal apply? Probably not. If this is true then the mobile version can now have any chip including x86/x64.

Now the value proposition changes. As an OEM I could now release a mobile device that is not just another android clone. I can use an expanding (see articles lately of who Microsoft is looking to hire) array of hardware, that will be updated by someone else (see articles on Samsung and others being sued because they do not update phones under two years) for years to come. This last point is very important because at these low margins OEMs cannot afford to support the lower end phones for the time it looks like they will soon be (by law) required. This is the same model as Windows PCs that they are used to and enjoy. As a cherry on top Microsoft is no longer trying to undercut them.

Could these devices be profitable? Yes!

Don't fool yourself on the "App-gap". If these mobile devices start being offered on a larger scale and are sold, those Universal apps will come. Software designers are many things but stupid isn't one of them (in most cases).

I'm not saying ANYTHING is going to be saved but I am saying Windows on your phone has a legitimate chance. Time will tell.
    Last edited by ScrubbyXD; 02-16-2016 at 05:06 PM. Reason: I'm tired and appearently worse at English when tired.
    02-16-2016 04:34 PM
58 123