Maps Turn by Turn Directions over car's Bluetooth?

bellyer

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know how to get GPS turn-by-turn navigation to work effectively over Bluetooth in their car? I am mostly asking this on behalf of a friend of mine who just bought a Lumia 550, but in trying to help her out, I noticed that I also have similar issues using my Lumia 950.

So, here is the problem... My friend with the Lumia 550 has a 2014 Honda Accord. She relies on her phone for GPS navigation, but she is unable to use her Lumia 550 to give her turn-by-turn directions over Bluetooth. Calls and text messages come through just fine over Bluetooth, as does music, with this phone, but the navigation is not providing any audio over Bluetooth or even through the phone. She had similar problems with her HTC 8X on Windows Phone 8.1.

I don't use my phone for navigation, as I have it built in to my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee; however, I decided to do some testing. I use my phone heavily for phone calls, text messages and Groove Music in my Jeep, but had never tried navigation, until today. So, the turn-by-turn directions using the Windows 10 Maps app seem to be treated as incoming calls/text messages by my Jeep's UConnect system. The Bluetooth connects, then reads the direction (cutting off the first part of the direction though while the phone is connecting) and then at the end of the direction being read, I get the same "phone call completed" message that I get at the end of a call or text when the Bluetooth disconnects.

Does anyone know if there is a way to seamlessly receive the audio directions from a Windows 10 Mobile GPS navigation app?

joshcsmith13

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I would REALLY like to get this figured out. I use Bluetooth for music all the time, but I can't get simultaneous Driving directions. It actually cuts out the music for a few seconds, but doesn't say anything. :(

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Go into your Bluetooth settings, click on the Advanced button at the bottom, and make sure "Use an alternate Bluetooth audio connection for Speech" is checked.

If that doesn't fix it right away, delete and repair your phone with your car.

AndrewMBaines

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I've been talking to Alpine about a similar problem I had with my Lumia 1020 and now how have with a 950XL.
Turn by turn works until something else happens - could be a notification noise or an incoming phone call. Then maps goes silent unless I turn off bluetooth and use the phone's speakers. Then, I've lost hands-free, so no solution!

Works in my wife's car (BMW standard radio setup)

Alpine say that the standards for connecting don't really exist for satnav applications, so can be a problem. I've sent my radio to them for an update (self-update is not supported). It's been done, now waiting for the radio to be returned.

Not sure if any of this applies to you, but may be best to find a forum for either your brand of radio or car to see if anyone else is having a similar problem.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I've been talking to Alpine about a similar problem I had with my Lumia 1020 and now how have with a 950XL.
Turn by turn works until something else happens - could be a notification noise or an incoming phone call. Then maps goes silent unless I turn off bluetooth and use the phone's speakers. Then, I've lost hands-free, so no solution!

Works in my wife's car (BMW standard radio setup)

Alpine say that the standards for connecting don't really exist for satnav applications, so can be a problem. I've sent my radio to them for an update (self-update is not supported). It's been done, now waiting for the radio to be returned.

Not sure if any of this applies to you, but may be best to find a forum for either your brand of radio or car to see if anyone else is having a similar problem.

In phone bluetooth settings, try enabling alternative bluetooth channel option

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon