Sell me W10M! What does it do better than WP8.1?

OrangeBerry02

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
So I've moved from a 640 to a 650 ... what are the giant leaps forward in the design of the os (that warrant skipping a WP9) that I can look forward to enjoying?

OrangeBerry02

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Well, having set up the 650 yesterday, I tend to agree with the stony silence which met my cheerful request.

With a phone at the (admittedly) low level of a 650 the W10M experience is spectacularly unspectacular! (What on earth have Microsoft been up to?! Continuum, I guess. That's it?!))

I did find a few backwards steps ... eg the inability of Outlook to provide for auto bccing oneself is pretty pathetic on a so-called "business phone". Also the machine is painfully slow at times.

Overall, totally underwhelmed with one exception ... the screen on the 650 is gorgeous ... but that's nothing to do with the new os.

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
You bought a 650? LOL

Let me save the ******'s some trouble:
Shut up ! The OS is in its early stages! It's only been like a year since they started developing it. Of course it's gonna have problems. Don't buy a phone with a beta OS!

halflifecrysis

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
The OS is far from Beta at this point. I had just as many hiccups on 8.1 or for that matter my last Android as W10 has given me on these last couple of builds.

In short to answer the OP the difference isn't much unless you use a device with Continuum. 90% of America wouldn't notice 10 vs. 8.1, especially a slightly tweaked 8.1 with some top apps. However more and more apps won't be available on 8.1 and there is your selling point on 10. The platform is app soft and softer on 8.1 than 10.

That's my 2 cents...

PChem

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
The ONLY reason for me to use W10M on my 640 is the universal support for voice-to-text in every app. Just couldn't live with having to type in whatsapp in WP8.1.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
If you can get cortana where you are do a comparison with the 8.1 version and bask in all its web page glory on W10.....
Sent From my SP3i3

OrangeBerry02

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
The ONLY reason for me to use W10M on my 640 is the universal support for voice-to-text in every app. Just couldn't live with having to type in whatsapp in WP8.1.

Useful comment for the uninitiated ... thank you ... I must try it.

EDIT: For a clot like me this is the advantage of asking the question. I had missed this completely ... and it is v good. Thanks again.

Last edited:

OrangeBerry02

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
If you can get cortana where you are do a comparison with the 8.1 version and bask in all its web page glory on W10.....
Sent From my SP3i3

I have found Cortana a bit of a disappointment to date (nevertheless great for reminders), but I will try and get more adventurous. Thanks for the input.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I tend to agree with the stony silence which met my cheerful request.

Ummm...
I fell for a virgin WM10 phone (Alcatel)
Runs OK on .107 not extremely excited actually.
Some of the changes are great.
Overall WM10 isn't the end all be all.

I think 10 is more of an adventure for the geek more than anything.
Gives us a lot to talk about.
Fans who have moved away due to disappointment keep checking in from what I see.

psyhound

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
W10m was a complete disaster on my 640. I was using it from .29 to .107, with HR after every update, but it was failing miserably. Constant app crashes, restarts, inability to start any app after longer usage (fixes after restart), bad camera quality, mixing up contacts with one number difference in phone number... and the list goes on and on and on and on and on and on...

OrangeBerry02

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Well..i just got bored as fk with win8 desing.
Can't blame me

Guess you mean design? In that regard I don't find W10M much of an improvement.

Windows mobile design has imho always been ahead of IOS and Android because of its "clean" and innovative appearance. I find IOS a bit twee and Android dull which is why I have stuck with WP despite the lack of apps.

W10M seems to me to be running the risk of vulgarising the original concept rather than improving it ... that said it does look great on my humble 650's excellent screen.

And, no, we wouldn't blame you!!

OrangeBerry02

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
W10m was a complete disaster on my 640. I was using it from .29 to .107, with HR after every update, but it was failing miserably. Constant app crashes, restarts, inability to start any app after longer usage (fixes after restart), bad camera quality, mixing up contacts with one number difference in phone number... and the list goes on and on and on and on and on and on...

I'm not surprised ... despite Microsoft's boundless optimism when it comes to backward compatibility the practical reality for the poor b****y user can often pretty grim.

montera

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
Everything, except Battery Life consumption.

Quite a bold statement, in a state the OS is, even the developer company seems to be more than bewildered what to do. From a user's perspective this whole circus is just smoke and mirrors. You either develop a product and sell it when it's ready or just keep quiet, this kind of hanging between is nonsense. Oh, wait it's coming, oh no, it was just the garbage collecting guy.

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Quite a bold statement, in a state the OS is, even the developer company seems to be more than bewildered what to do. From a user's perspective this whole circus is just smoke and mirrors. You either develop a product and sell it when it's ready or just keep quiet, this kind of hanging between is nonsense. Oh, wait it's coming, oh no, it was just the garbage collecting guy.
Yours and Others opinions vary.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I've only been running W10 for about four days, so still a lot to learn. First, battery life on my 640 is great--no problems there. Hitting no major bugs so far. Every MS app has lots of little tweaks that make things nicer in most cases. The clock has a nice world time tab, which I find very useful. The weather app has a new interface that is very nice if the accuracy of the weather gets improved--not sure why, but the temperature is often way off at my location. I didn't think I would like the look of the tiles with their fine-lined font, but I really do--looks very crisp and modern. I like the round images in contacts and they make the Speed Dial section very easy to use. Same with messaging. I like the option of linking Skype with messaging and contacts for making Skype calls or texts. Outlook interface is very slick and easy to use. Good dark themes on most apps. The news app is much easier to read. Camera is very easy to use, and I like the little round image that instantly gets you to the last shot taken. Camera is working fast and never fails to take a shot as it did for me on WP8.1 The settings section is still a bit of a mess, but better than on WP8.1. Calendar interface and readability is much better. It goes on and on. Tons of little tweaks and enhancements everywhere. Frankly, I would rate W10 as a 100% improvement so far. There is nothing from WP8.1 that I miss yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss