Sell me W10M! What does it do better than WP8.1?

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I hate post that start with " Sell me" , "Convince me" , "Stop me from leaving" or any variation of these. They assume that strangers care what phone or what OS the poster uses.

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Thing with all these "better" features is that very few if any are due to any inherent deficiency in WP 8.1, its just Microsoft's incompetence and laziness in actually making WP better.

But honestly its true to form for them, they tend not to fix issues in a current OS but rather defer to the next version and then everyone calls it better and bash the previous version.

Case in point, why did it take Nokia to release their Storage Check beta to allow storing maps on SD cards even though users had begged for it on Microsoft uservoice sites for such a long time and been ignored? That's not a failing of the OS but the company supposedly developing it. That's the whole crux of WP 8.1 vs W10M, one OS was ignored while the other is the golden child and getting all the attention.....

I've always felt this way. I'll wait until 10 is officially released and find a way to get it onto my 635. In the interim 8.1 is not the worst thing in the world. I'll actually miss it once it goes away.

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
They need a reason for when they will kill the mobile platform, so, they push a horrible new OS, new devices with dozens of problems just for the users to drive off the platform. with no users left, there's no reason to keep a platform. I feel your pain in your wallet. I did the same mistake too, buying into MS's new 950, but managed to sell it while the price was still high. Lucky for me I managed to find another fool, like I was, to buy it.
Well that's typical Microsoft. Not sure what, if anything, has changed there over the years, on mobile or on the desktop.

ampipe100

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I'm not switching to WM10.

1) I don't like the loss of the full picture caller ID on WM10.
2) I'm not a fan of the circle caller ID or circles in the people hub.
3) On WM10, the numbers on the dial pad look smaller. With my aging eyes, I prefer the larger dial pad on 8.1
4) Same thing with the settings menu. Words look bigger on 8.1. That's important to me.
5) I'm not a fan of the Hamburger at all.

I use my phone for texts, calls, emails and calendar appointments. That's it.

I don't use apps or care to use apps.
I don't have facebook, twitter, instagram or all the other things.
I rarely if ever use the internet on my phone.

I chose the 640 because it was cheap, the tiles, keypad, caller ID Pictures and words were big and easy to read on use. Now it seems with WM10 they are making everything smaller and more compact. That's not good for me.

I'll stick with 8.1 for as long as I possibly can. Someone said it would get support until July 2017. Hopefully by that time Windows has come out with a 10.1 that addresses some if not all of those issues.

vezycash

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I chose the 640 because it was cheap, the tiles, keypad, caller ID Pictures and words were big and easy to read on use. Now it seems with WM10 they are making everything smaller and more compact. That's not good for me.

Increase the font size in settings. It's the first thing I did when I installed mine.

polychromenz

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
hamburger menus make life easier for devs. When we develop with tools like Cordova we can write once and publish to WM,iOS and Android with less work. less work for devs should = more apps. It might not but i personally think it was worth the compromise

slooksterpsv

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
* Crash - It's unstable yes, but you can experience first hand what people mean by their phone crashed. It's an unforgettable experience. =D

Honestly though:
--Start Screen
--Outlook - a lot sleeker and nicer, plus both emails accounts are under 1 app, not separate instances.
--Store - the store just seems a lot more uniform instead of scattered (see 8.1 store).
--Theme/Customization - it looks like Windows 10 and not a dump over of 7.1 or 8/8.1. It feels personal. 7.1, 8, 8.1, none of those felt personal. They felt very... static.

bluechrism

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Some features that I think are improved:
Settings menu
Increased quick actions, including flashlight
Start screen personalization options
Various apps -> Alarms, Groove music, Maps (except for driving), the office apps, Outlook mail (with a couple of exceptions), Calendar, Photos
Reply to message from the notification
A general feeling that battery life has improved and is better than WP8.1

Things that have got worse
Not sold of circular people images
Until recently no history in people app, but that's back now. However, the badge on a person's tile doesn't reflect unread emails for that person

Mixed bag:
The store
Messaging - I actually like the skype integration but it's the number one most frequent app to get stuck "resuming"
Cortana - more features, worse display
Search - missing the locals section
Rooms - if you used chat there is equivalent, but it you used it for photos, one note and other things, there isn't an easy replacement.
Camera

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Contrary to those who like to grasp on to the "it's still in its early stages" excuse, the fact is MY complaints about W10M stem from the very DESIGN of it. It is nothing like WP8.1, by DESIGN. Some of the issues are subtle, some are dramatic. My wife and I STUPIDLY bought the LUMIA 950. I went back to my 1020. The camera on the 1020 is STILL the best one, with the exception of speed. I will choose quality over speed any day. I'm also a fan of judicious use of "white space", which Microsoft completely threw out the window in W10M. Example: The Start Screen now has all the tiles crammed together, where they had a nicer-to-look-at spacing on WP8.1. Pivots almost completely gone in W10M, as is the nicer look OF the pivot--Microsoft has really turned it into more of an Android clone. I hate the stupid hamburger menus. There was absolutely no reason they had to go that route with the design. Cortana doesn't work NEARLY as well on W10M as it does on WP8.1. Live tiles are much harder to read, no matter what you change your font and other settings to. The People life tile is especially horrible. There's no Me tile anymore, which was my central place for following the most important people to me AND my way to connect to social networks -- I tend to post to all my social networks simultaneously, which is easy w/the Me tile. Now that's gone. The Store looks and works MUCH better in WP8.1 than W10M. Bing Vision is GONE in W10M--I use this a LOT. I just generally despise the design of Universal apps altogether, compared to the unique and beautiful design of real Metro apps in WP8.1. Also, you cannot delete a number of Microsoft's apps. For example, I MUCH prefer HERE Maps and Drive+ compared to the horrible Microsoft Maps app. You can't uninstall their Maps app and you can't make HERE the default. And then there's Continuum. Most useless feature ever. First, Continuum only gives you the WinRT experience. And WHO has a spare monitor, keyboard and mouse just sitting around NOT connected to a computer already? I have a tablet -- an SP3 -- which is much more capable than the 950 and I need no extra accessories to use it. And even WP8.1 supports DLNA, so on the rare occasions I need to send pictures, etc. to a TV I can do that effortlessly. Oh, and the iris scanner on the 950 is a horrible joke. They should have gone with the fingerprint scanner instead. I gave up trying to get any sort of consistent--and quick--response from the stupid thing and turned it off. Also, I like having the Glance background on my 1020. You can't do that with the 950. I loved Zune. I tolerated Microsoft Music. I can't stand Groove. Basically, they are going backward with Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile. And don't get me started on Xbox One.

A big part of the reason I came to the WP platform was because of how stylish and well designed it was. Hubs, pivots, animations, etc. You could tell the designers had a vision and thought about things like user friendliness and the placement of buttons and other UI elements. A total departure from Android which at the time was about as user friendly as... Android. Flash forward to now and W10M is a sad joke compared to 8.1. It's like if you took 8.1, hit it with a shovel, rearranged the UI and added the worst elements from Android and iOS. It really feels like something slapped together by someone that never used a Windows Phone before. I honestly feel embarrassed whenever my friends and family ask about W10M and whether I would recommend it. It's like if your beautiful girlfriend morphed into your ex-wife.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Windows 10 mobile is nothing more than a visual upgrade from wp8.1 with a few tweaks here and there.

I mean.. the dial pad lags for christ sakes!
Edge is a mess
I can't close all my apps in the mulit tasking screen with one click
Random Crashes and reboots.
Swiping to the "app list" there is a delay and i have to wait while app icons load. (really?)
I have to wait for a mail to load.. while staring at a white screen. When it does load it does not even render propaly

I could go on and on...

Can't sell you. There ain't nothing to sell.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 mobile is nothing more than a visual upgrade from wp8.1 with a few tweaks here and there.

I mean.. the dial pad lags for christ sakes!
Edge is a mess
I can't close all my apps in the mulit tasking screen with one click
Random Crashes and reboots.
Swiping to the "app list" there is a delay and i have to wait while app icons load. (really?)
I have to wait for a mail to load.. while staring at a white screen. When it does load it does not even render propaly

I could go on and on...

Can't sell you. There ain't nothing to sell.

I agree about the visual upgrade from wp 8.1 part even though there is plenty more going on under the hood. But I'm not experiencing any of the other symptoms you are having. Looks like you might need to do a hard reset and then start fresh. Don't restore a backup. My Lumia 830 is running great with good as 8.1 battery life and I'm not running into any of these issues.

However, the keyboard and Cortana could use some major improvement!!

Ambrosiana

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi Orange,

I've been using WM10 for months, and I there are some features get me addicted on it:

1. Integration between SMS and Skype. As translator, Skype is a must-app for me since various agencies and project managers contacting me through the app. The integration made messaging experience lighter (you know it takes forever to open and sync the Skype app). Cons: Sometimes the notification didn't do its job well, so have to open messaging app to see new messages.

2. Outlook mail makes me possible to attach any file easily. I can also search my email contacts easier than in 8.1.

3. Keyboard prediction is actually better in 8.1, but word-flow feature is available for all languages. So, I can use my language to type better and faster.

4. Photo app integrated well with OneDrive, so I can view my images collection in OneDrive (which are not in my local storage) easily from it without sacrificing more storage.

5. Actionable notification makes me able to reply message faster.

Those are some features which makes me tied more to this device than in 8.1.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi Orange,

I've been using WM10 for months, and I there are some features get me addicted on it:

1. Integration between SMS and Skype. As translator, Skype is a must-app for me since various agencies and project managers contacting me through the app. The integration made messaging experience lighter (you know it takes forever to open and sync the Skype app). Cons: Sometimes the notification didn't do its job well, so have to open messaging app to see new messages.

2. Outlook mail makes me possible to attach any file easily. I can also search my email contacts easier than in 8.1.

3. Keyboard prediction is actually better in 8.1, but word-flow feature is available for all languages. So, I can use my language to type better and faster.

4. Photo app integrated well with OneDrive, so I can view my images collection in OneDrive (which are not in my local storage) easily from it without sacrificing more storage.

5. Actionable notification makes me able to reply message faster.

Those are some features which makes me tied more to this device than in 8.1.

I have to agree that the Photo app is better in 10.

Galway 77

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it wasn't officially supported. It might've been for an old version of WP maybe. I remember needing to download this Lumia storage check app (which you can't download from the store anymore btw) to get offline maps onto the SD card in 8.1, but otherwise the maps went into the internal storage. W10m gives you the option to save the offline maps onto an SD card without needing to do any tricks.

I tried downloading maps to sd card and it was really slow, so I left it over night. Started at around 9 and I get up at 4,and after all that time it probably wasn't 1/3 of the way complete, so I just canceled it and gave up. The phone is a 640 that I got at Walmart for 30 dollars and updated to windows 10.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb