Sell me W10M! What does it do better than WP8.1?

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I tried downloading maps to sd card and it was really slow, so I left it over night. Started at around 9 and I get up at 4,and after all that time it probably wasn't 1/3 of the way complete, so I just canceled it and gave up. The phone is a 640 that I got at Walmart for 30 dollars and updated to windows 10.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

I've tried the same on a 950. Downloading maps was very slow on both microSD and on internal storage...poor wifi performance...buggy OS. On WP8.1 the download speed is blazing fast.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Did you hard reset when you installed? I want to update my 640 but without a hard reset...

I just bought a 640 XL basically to try out a few things.

After setting it up and installing the insider app I upgraded to W10. I had a few strange issue with my account, nothing in the people app, email and calendar were empty even though when you checked Settings>Accounts everything was there.

Hard reset and everything was fine.

So there is a possibility you might want to hard reset. Not an issue but it takes ages!!

Galway 77

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Probably a slow SD card, or your network?
A class 10 card is recommended.

It's a 64 gb samsung class 10, and my wifi at home is good. I'm using the phone on wifi only with no Sim unless that has something to do with it?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree that the Photo app is better in 10.

If I open a photo in the photos app, then hit back, the "select" option s gone. Happened on different phones (both 640)with different os versions.

Fun fact. Its 2016 and I dont have a "reboot" option on my phone. Really?

arn6735

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
i thought only tmo had a wifi calling. i have an att running wm10 unlocked using Mpcs, but i can't find wifi calling. I'd read in the other thread to flash Tmo ROM to enable wifi calling if i'm right.

Joseph Avena

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Hamburger Menu....why. Just go to any site that has a corresponding Mobile interface a you will see that navigation is done by a Hamburger Menu. What does this mean....If Mobile website is working correctly then no need for separate apps hence less cost to those that want to be on mobile.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The #1 reason is Universal Apps. The framework for apps changed in Windows 10 and developers are focusing on the new W10 Universal Apps.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Hamburger Menu....why. Just go to any site that has a corresponding Mobile interface a you will see that navigation is done by a Hamburger Menu. What does this mean....If Mobile website is working correctly then no need for separate apps hence less cost to those that want to be on mobile.

Supposedly so lazy developers can just port their badly designed Android apps to W10M without changing the UI that much. Most of the apps on W10M are basically glorified web wrappers (News, Sports, Weather, etc)

Riopato

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Look forward to enjoying buggy apps constantly crashing due to Windows 10 mobile OS. I love the way my 950XL's screen constantly glitches every time I rotate the screen

Marius Edoardo

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Well, what I find in W10 is the background, better and faster than W8.1. For example, in 8.1 if I opened a music app like deezer or Spotify and want to go back there is the annoying "Resuming" screen but in 10 this screen is nearly dead, and I'm talking about a L535, not even a high end device. And this go to every single app.

Jarno Vihervaara

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
win10 has built-in intelligent camera filter that saves up disk space and uploads. If it doesnt like the image found in viewfinder, it'll close the app automatically. And alarm doesnt always wake you up if you're having awesome dream!

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
There are numerous things I prefer on 10.
Groove music is better than Music.
I prefer the text look of 10 in the UI
Scaling, more tiles on home
Improved notification center - ability to reply to text from the notification, etc...
Hello on my 950
I prefer the W10 version of most of the built-in apps

The biggest feature, as others have mentioned, is access to the new W10 universal apps. This is where all new app development will be going in the future. If you want access to the latest apps, you're going to have to be on 10.

Kieran Coghlan

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
* Crash - It's unstable yes, but you can experience first hand what people mean by their phone crashed. It's an unforgettable experience. =D
I have yet to have it crash on my Lumia 929 since build .107...
Honestly though:
--Start Screen
What is so much better about the start screen? Someone said customization? I don't see (yet) how it's more customizable than WMo8.1
--Outlook - a lot sleeker and nicer, plus both emails accounts are under 1 app, not separate instances.
Actually I liked the separate instances, as I had a tile pinned for each account (exchange, outlook, gmail, imap) on start. When I first tried W10Mobile several months ago, I couldn't do that. All were only accessible under the one app, and only one tile could be pinned. But with the more recent builds I can now pin the different accounts as different live tiles :D
--Store - the store just seems a lot more uniform instead of scattered (see 8.1 store).
--Theme/Customization - it looks like Windows 10 and not a dump over of 7.1 or 8/8.1. It feels personal. 7.1, 8, 8.1, none of those felt personal. They felt very... static.

Kieran Coghlan

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
You are sending emails to your self?
Ever heard of the abillity to save emails in the "sent" box?
bcc'ing yourself in Outlook is used as a trick to trigger certain things in Outlook. It's a trick taught by several work-efficiently gurus, like "Getting Things Done" author David Allen. For example, it allows you to automatically set up to-do tasks, like follow up on an email sent to someone by a certain date, etc. You don't want this triggered for every email, so you bcc yourself on individual emails for which you want to auto-setup a follow-up flag and create and categorize a task in Outlook.

I don't use this, and I don't remember how to set it up. But I did attend a GTD seminar once and heard about it. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel