The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    Hi,
    Just like to say a warm hello as a brand new Windows Phone User.
    And one who was able to update their new phone to Windows 10 Mobile before I did anything else, so I know nothing other than this :)

I naturally have many questions (found a lot of things out myself already)
    But would like to ask this one.

I have used Skype on my PC from time to time just to chat with friends. Not video call them, just typing as it can be a good way to chat when doing something else.

I see Windows 10 Mobile comes with a Skype app called "Skype Video" however as soon as I launch this, the camera turns on for video calling which I don't want.
    Is there any way to turn off the camera, or is there another official? Skype app to use?

Thank you.
    02-28-2016 04:22 AM
    There is an official Skype App (http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=TzGJTl_F). If you just want to send text based messages via skype you can use the Messaging app; it has skype built in. First log into your Skype account from the settings option then tap the top right hand corner where it says 'SMS' and select 'Skype'.
    02-28-2016 03:04 PM
    As agd87 says the Messaging app is the one you want, there are three apps to do with Skype without actually using Skype (You can swap any time you want).

Skype Video for doing video calls, phone and messaging. They are still early days beta's with an awful lot of potential when many more features are added, for example sending a text from a PC, or making a call using Skype or phone without it really mattering.

One of the many interesting projects with more to come with 10

Edit (About an hour later).

Yes you can download the Skype app as well, that way you can do most of what you can do with the Skype desktop app (Not all), and you can choose to use the Skype app or the much newer apps (That came with 10), and because Skype is now cloud based what you type in one shows up not only on the other but on every device).
    Last edited by Bobvfr; 02-28-2016 at 06:21 PM.
    02-28-2016 05:31 PM
    Thank you to you both for the suggestions.
    Most appreciated.
    02-29-2016 03:13 PM