Disadvantage of not upgrading to Window 10 mobile?

ampipe100

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Disadvantage of not upgrading to Window 10 mobile

I am one of those people who don't like change. I currently own a Microsoft Lumia 640 running 8.1 and I love it.

My questions are:

1) Can I keep running 8.1, even after windows 10 is available?

2) What are the disadvantages of not upgrading to windows 10?

3) How long will 8.1 continue to be supported?

The main reason I do not want to upgrade is that I absolutely hate the circles on the contacts. I hate the polka dot effect of the rolling contacts as opposed to the current squares and I hate having the face in a circle when receiving or making a call. This is one of the biggest reasons I left the iphone when they switched from squares to circles.

If we had the option of keeping the squares I would update as soon as possible, but right now I'd like to keep 8.1 as long as I can so I don't have to change the look of my phone.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
1) If it is your phone as opposed to Microsoft's phone, then you should be able to keep running 8.1.
2) Developers aren't likely going to create new 8.1 apps or maintain the old ones. Web pages may not render as well going forward as authors further optimize for the latest version of chrome.
3) 2017-07-11

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I have a Lumia 900 that is still running. Granted, it's going to be limited to the current OS and eventually apps may stop working properly or at all. If I could, I would be using a Palm Centro right now because it pretty much offered me everything I wanted in a phone at the time.

ampipe100

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Thank you both for answering.

I'm not much on apps or anything else. I just use my phone to text, call, email, schedule and wake up.

I don't have facebook or twitter or instagram, ect and have no reason to add them. I just need a basic phone.

Like I said, I'd update in a heartbeat if the contacts weren't changing to round pictures. I absolutely despised that when the iphone changed to round contacts and left apple immediately. Hopefully Windows will rethink and give people an option of keeping the traditional square contact tiles.

js14873

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm not a fan of the round contact photos either, but for me it is outweighed by the ridiculous layout of the settings menu in 8.1. I switched phones a couple of weeks ago and was going to stay with 8.1 until the OTA update but switched after 3 days after my memory was refreshed on how much better the menus are in 10.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Disadvantage of not upgrading to Window 10 mobile

If you're holding off the upgrade only because of the round vs square display pictures then you're seriously missing a lot. Besides Microsoft would end support for WP8.1 at some point before they end support for WM10.

ampipe100

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the input.

I'm just OCD enough to let the new look keep me from upgrading.

In all honesty, if they would just do what apple ended up doing and allow users an option of full screen caller ID instead of the round picture I'd be perfectly fine.

I find it hard to believe they can't accommodate those of us who prefer the full screen caller image on our incoming call screen. Seems it would be an easy update. Maybe if they come up with 10.1 they can include it. Wishful thinking I guess.

Also, I'm almost 50 and fighting the inevitable battle with presbyopia. 8.1 seemed to have bigger numbers on the call pad and bigger font on the settings page. I'd miss those things as well.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
The disadvantages were stated above... I think the only thing worse than those circles on contacts are the circles on album artworks. Sorry, but they look horrible and wrong. But I also think that all the new features and improvements make up for this, but in the end it's up to you.

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
1) If it is your phone as opposed to Microsoft's phone, then you should be able to keep running 8.1.
2) Developers aren't likely going to create new 8.1 apps or maintain the old ones. Web pages may not render as well going forward as authors further optimize for the latest version of chrome.
3) 2017-07-11
Well maybe the support will be extended for WP8.1 with a future update. At the end not ALL phone can get upgraded to W10M as well

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Well maybe the support will be extended for WP8.1 with a future update. At the end not ALL phone can get upgraded to W10M as well

I can't really see that happening - GDR2, (which existed and was given to devices on the Insider program) never made it to mass release. The phones that can't be upgraded are, unfortunately for some, already old devices that will have lasted quite a while already.

It'd be the expectation that those would be upgraded by 2017, or that the users wouldn't care enough about their phones to really need further support - after all, their phones will still run, just nothing new will head their way. Microsoft will just be looking at Windows 10 from now on.

muvig

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site

Lot of changes were done that were never requested by users leaving out the real complained issues, in a way I see 8.1 better designed features that were made worse on w10m

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Well yes he is...missing on a ton of improvements.

There are also a couple of major downgrades, like Cortana being nerfed to basically a web page, inability to set your default nav program. There's nothing really in W10M that couldn't be done in WP, Microsoft just couldn't be bothered. And yes, those circles are just ridiculously out of place and is an example of change just for the sake of it. W10M may have a few better built-in apps but overall its not that much better than WP 8.1 IMO and if your phone still works I see no reason why anyone would rush to upgrade especially seeing the state the OS is in today. I'd give it another year at least to see what its final state is before moving to W10M.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Real world example, by not upgrading to WM10 you don't get access to tools like Wifi Analyzer on your phone.

So if you're not tech savy (most people aren't) and live in area with highly congested WiFi traffic i.e block of flats; the most common channels utilised by isp routers are 1, 6, 11, 13 and two others I can't recall of hand.

Channel 6 is by far the most common on and with everyone still on 2.4 ghz you will get a lot of interference.

With tools like the WiFi analyzer you can identify which channel is the best one for you.

Or you could use InSSider however it is not free or cheap.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb