Seriously where is w10m

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel cooper2

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to start by saying I'm not trying to be funny, sarcastic or mean. What it's going on with windows 10 mobile? Where is the final product? How come they cant give a official date on the release? Why this late in the game I can still easily find bugs in windows 10 mobile? This list of questions goes on and on. These are the same questions developers ask. Why would they bring their app to w10m? Is there a reason why a powerful company like Microsoft can't put out a phone? Gabe and his windows 10 phone team has alot of resources. This a software company!! Why do they not have the best people working on this? If I was the CEO people would be fired but I guess he too busy on his iPhone 6s. Hell he probably got the iPhone 7 by now.

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Considering that this is not just any ordinary, run-of-the-mill software update, but rather a merging of all platforms into one unified code base, it isn't surprising that the development cycle will take longer. Getting the code to work across all kinds of computers, 2-in-1 touchpads, phones, and other devices is not a simple thing.

So the short and not intentionally sarcastic answer is: Windows 10 Mobile will be released to the general public when Microsoft is confident that:
1. The installation process will work on as many devices as possible with a negligible chance to brick any of them.
2. The software itself will work on as many devices as possible with as few bugs as possible.
3. Any carriers that are still standing in the way of the OTA push of the software release have been appeased or circumvented.

Right now, this looks like the 10586.107 release is a good candidate, since the native W10M phones are now getting Redstone builds. This is a guess, but I think items 1 and 2 that I listed are probably completed, and it's just item 3 that is holding things up. Once the carriers have signed off (and they should since at least the 950's are running on AT&T's network already) then we should likely see something from Microsoft regarding a release date.

All that in mind, I'd rather they don't announce a date that they can't meet. I think there would be more complaints if they actually announced and missed their specific target date than if they just released a general time frame and had to push it back (as they already have) for whatever reason. Until then, I've been very pleased running the Insider preview release, so for all practical purposes it has already been released to my phone. This just means I'm not having to wait for an official release to start using W10M.

And firing people from the development team would likely cause even further delays in getting the software released, which in turn would probably cause the customers to start calling for your job as CEO. Just something to think about...

This thread will likely get closed and get redirected to: W10M release dates answers inside

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You're asking questions that have already been asked by many people, and continue to be asked every single day.

It's ready when it's ready.

daniel cooper2

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
You're asking questions that have already been asked by many people, and continue to be asked every single day.

It's ready when it's ready.
True so when Microsoft going to answer up. I went from w10m to android and back to w10m and w10m is still on the same page. Smh people still defending them.

zazonion

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
True so when Microsoft going to answer up. I went from w10m to android and back to w10m and w10m is still on the same page. Smh people still defending them.
I'm pretty sure if google and apple were going to merge iOS and android with chromeos and osx it would take a very long time.

If you're that impatient just install the insider program. Its actually pretty stable for daily use. Im using it on my lumia 640 right now.

daniel cooper2

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure if google and apple were going to merge iOS and android with chromeos and osx it would take a very long time.

If you're that impatient just install the insider program. Its actually pretty stable for daily use. Im using it on my lumia 640 right now.
don't even bring up apple it's a different world. Plus they wouldn't take that long. Apple knows what they are doing over there.

daniel cooper2

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Nobody reminds months of battery drainin and slowin s.o. in the first builds of last i-Os? Check HWUp, Tom's, or other magazine's forums in the past
ios update their prelease software every 2 weeks fixing alot of bugs with each build. Please stop talking about Apple. You embarrassing yourself and Microsoft. It's a reason why their on top.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
As mentioned previously in this 'yet another teddy throwing exercise' thread, it will come when it is ready. There are a plethora of posts asking the same question, blaming MSFT for not realising on Feb 29 despite the MS Mexico site removing the post from their Facebook account.

Also, as mentioned, this is a complete overhaul. PC's, Mobiles, tablets, surface and the book range all running on the same basic code. On top of this, there has to be testing by the, unexpected, take up by OEM's. These guys aren't going to spend a shed load of cash on R&D only for a poor OS to sully their reputations.

What about those early adopters to the 950/xl, the 550 and the new 650. We've spent a fair wedge of cash on these, and yet we are subject to the same issues as everyone else. I'm not saying we have anymore right to question what MS are doing, but we should be shouting loudest.

They NEED to get it right, they WILL get it right and IMHO, it isn't to far away. And remember, it will be available for a magnitude of devices released when MS went mad! Can you see android support for some 2 or so years old, like the 930 or 1520?? The answer would have to be no. I've had two 'flagship' android devices and they never got support after a year or so. Perhaps I'm cynical, but it did seem to coincide with new device releases!

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Fragmentation

A phenomenon associated with Android-based devices due to the extreme modifications made to the interface as a means to differentiate one device from the other, add additional features and conveniences, and add additional revenue streams for mobile carriers and manufacturers alike. While you could have two phones with the same version of Android, one would have HTC Sense, and the other device would have TouchWiz. Early on these interfaces were bloated, and when combined with carrier-dependant testing caused intolerable delays.

One way to combat this was purchasing a Nexus device, which would usher in the newest iteration of the mobile operating system and be guaranteed timely updates. To this day, there are still faithful users of the earlier Nexus phones because they have managed to shoehorn an unofficial build of CyanogenMod. While official Google support will wane after the two-year mark, many consumers are taking advantage of financing options to swap phones annually. It is nothing short of a miracle to see devices with support over a year now.

Android devices also suffer from poor hardware below the $200 price point. These devices are unlocked, contract-free or prepaid devices that come with an OS that is behind the current build. The chances of these devices upgrading are slim, but the consumers targeted for these devices do not worry about software updates. A $70 prepaid phone you get at Walmart is not going to win design awards or last for years. It is not meant to. Until recently that has been the case with phones that go for double or even triple that amount. Advances in design and manufacturing paved the way for more capable mid-range devices. Will these devices receive regular software updates? Depends. Support on Android is only good for the manufacturer of the product, and whatever regulatory and contractual obligations need satisfied.
Microsoft has done a commendable job of taking lower-grade hardware and providing a relatively consistent user experience. Windows Phone runs remarkably well even if the internal storage is only 8GB and the RAM a paltry 1GB. You might not have the blazing fast speed or high resolution, graphic intensive gaming, but the phone will work well for its core functions. Android cannot make the same claims. Once you start using a device, longer than the regular week that is used to review a new phone, it begins to chug along at a slower pace. You will not experience this on a Windows Phone device. Alternatively, for that matter, an iPhone.

For all its faults Android is a decent operating system that has opened the floodgates when it comes to app development and smartphone adoption rates. I believe that it has also led to a complacency when it comes to what qualifies as good enough. I will not ever again buy an unlocked phone that is running Android with just above the bare minimum specifications for a smooth experience. I have decided that I will remain on Windows Phone, but I will be building my reserves to afford a new iPhone should the bottom drop out and Windows 10 Mobile does not materialize as a solid contender in the marketplace.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to start by saying I'm not trying to be funny, sarcastic or mean. What it's going on with windows 10 mobile? Where is the final product? How come they cant give a official date on the release? Why this late in the game I can still easily find bugs in windows 10 mobile? This list of questions goes on and on. These are the same questions developers ask. Why would they bring their app to w10m? Is there a reason why a powerful company like Microsoft can't put out a phone? Gabe and his windows 10 phone team has alot of resources. This a software company!! Why do they not have the best people working on this? If I was the CEO people would be fired but I guess he too busy on his iPhone 6s. Hell he probably got the iPhone 7 by now.
if my understanding is correct, windows 10 (including the mobile version) will never get to the state of complete. windows is a service and will continue to update forever. besides, no OS is bug-free. even windows xp have bugs.

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft have to optimise Windows 10 Mobile for thousands of device variants and check them all. They've also apparently got device-specific firmware to organise as well. Plus, they need to ensure it all works and is absolutely watertight - W10M has shown itself to be inconsistent in how well it runs for different people; my 950XL runs perfectly, others run terribly. The update system itself might need a bit of reworking, because it's never done something as big as W10M on such a large scale.

We also don't know how they're playing this update; it could very well be that Microsoft are 'accumulating' all of the carrier-approved updates for a large initial release for their first wave of phones, so the rollout can be smooth and regularly staggered across devices.

slooksterpsv

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
...The update system itself might need a bit of reworking, because it's never done something as big as W10M on such a large scale.

Yes they have.... Windows 10 is a prime example. The mobile servers that communicate the update are the same ones as Windows Update. The carrier could even point traffic to download from Microsoft and not host it themselves. They could even split it down and do region where they specify devices in area X, when they check, can redirect to Microsoft to get updates. So I can't the update system would be a problem. Now in the context you're probably considering, all the different devices, how they access, go through the carriers, get specific versions (RM1032 vs RM1032-E vs RM1032-U, you get my point), yes I could see that.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
W10 mobile is available for Windows Insiders and is working really well for me on a Lumia 640. Try it out and maybe you'll like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720