Android apps are better?...Not...!

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't know who started the rumor that the Microsoft apps on Android are better than WP10, because they absolutely are not. Groove sucks, Outlook is limited, especially the calendar, and Office are nearly identical. Cortana, give me a break, she's useless unless fully integrated. Anyway, the grass is almost never greener, certainly in this instance.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Francis Amar Singh

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
I don't know who started the rumor that the Microsoft apps on Android are better than WP10, because they absolutely are not. Groove sucks, Outlook is limited, especially the calendar, and Office are nearly identical. Cortana, give me a break, she's useless unless fully integrated. Anyway, the grass is almost never greener, certainly in this instance.

MS health is better, Skype used to be better, Outlook is better as mail, calender and contacts are all in one app. I dont have groove and cortana in Japan so can't say...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Skype and GroupMe was/is better, Outlook on Android has been better to me, I can set alarms and send text messages from my PC with Cortana on my Android.

OneNote is inferior, in that it is missing password protected sections. it does have some extra functionality unique to Android though.

MS Account let's me authenticate with the push of a button on my phone instead of having to punch in the six digit code all the time on WP.

I will say it's greener, but not without its own set of yellow patches.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, but that sucks, the calendar doesn't display no time appointments correctly etc. Terrible.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Skype and GroupMe was/is better, Outlook on Android has been better to me, I can set alarms and send text messages from my PC with Cortana on my Android.

OneNote is inferior, in that it is missing password protected sections. it does have some extra functionality unique to Android though.

MS Account let's me authenticate with the push of a button on my phone instead of having to punch in the six digit code all the time on WP.

I will say it's greener, but not without its own set of yellow patches.

LOL I like that, but the reports are it's SOOO much better, and it's a lie. And I don't think it's better at all.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I suspect it is in the eye of the beholder. For example, I prefer having the calendar separate in instead of within Outlook and my calendar displays appointments correctly--very easy to use. In general, I was underwhelmed with the quality of Android apps when I went over to the "other side" for over a month. I downloaded a bunch to try and many didn't even work. In some cases apps I liked weren't available. Some of the Windows versions are better. I have to admit I haven't used iOS a lot so I can't confirm that the app quality there is the best, like everyone says.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I suspect it is in the eye of the beholder. For example, I prefer having the calendar separate in instead of within Outlook and my calendar displays appointments correctly--very easy to use. In general, I was underwhelmed with the quality of Android apps when I went over to the "other side" for over a month. I downloaded a bunch to try and many didn't even work. In some cases apps I liked weren't available. Some of the Windows versions are better. I have to admit I haven't used iOS a lot so I can't confirm that the app quality there is the best, like everyone says.

Yes, I'm not impressed at all. I do love the device I'm using though, the. OnePlus 2. Hopefully they release a ROM for it!

Last edited:

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Oh, another thing sucks about outlook on Android is that subfolders within an account to are not included in notifications, and seem to have problems even syncing on incoming emails. Can't pin individual subfolders and get direct notifications etc. Even with the Gmail app you can't do that. Sure you can pin accounts, but no notification. Bad.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Not that they are OMG better but, there are more choices. The biggest problem for ME and a lot of other WM/WP users is, any EXCLUSEIVE apps/features of Windows Phone is gone.

Think about it, if you got a Android phone, you can access all the apps that are available on Windows Phone, PLUS more apps hands down that Windows Phone.

I have a Nokia ICON and a LG G3, although I love the choices of apps on Android, I do PREFER the feel of a true Windows Phone app....

If we could have the choice of apps like Android, Windows Phone would not have any issues...

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Not that they are OMG better but, there are more choices. The biggest problem for ME and a lot of other WM/WP users is, any EXCLUSEIVE apps/features of Windows Phone is gone.

Think about it, if you got a Android phone, you can access all the apps that are available on Windows Phone, PLUS more apps hands down that Windows Phone.

I have a Nokia ICON and a LG G3, although I love the choices of apps on Android, I do PREFER the feel of a true Windows Phone app....

If we could have the choice of apps like Android, Windows Phone would not have any issues...

Like what apps, for example....

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Agreed! And for some apps, better quality too. The Kindle app leaves a lot to be desired.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
True perhaps if the clock were turned back to 2005 and MS had held it's course for mobile.
I'm not sure the platform would take off today if the store were suddenly filled with the amount of successful apps that Android has seen.
It would be a very long road anyway...

Would most existing Nokia\Microsoft phones even be able to run apps and games built for the likes of Android with success?
I've thought over the last year or so that WM phones were stingy in the hardware department to say the truth.
Windows phone hardware seemed to fill the bill for a long time.
Maybe hardware is the key to the app problems...your app has to fit in this box or else it's a no go.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I think this will deviate the topic pretty far. These are just apps I frequently use;

Ones that kind of exist on Windows Phone, but suck
Instagram
Kindle
Facebook
Twitter
Amazon Shopping
Ebay
Roku
Waze
Wordpress
Yelp

Apps I use that don't exist on Windows
Google Music
Amazon Music
AMC
Android Pay (i would count it if there was a windows pay)
AO Surgery Reference
Chase
Comedy Central
Synology suite of apps (downloads, files, music, videos, etc)
Dragon Medical Dictation
Fandango
FXNow
Netgear Genie
GPB Georgia
NCCN Guidelines
HBO Go
Kroger
Lowe's
Medscape
Facebook Moments
Slick Deals
Snap Chat
Starbucks
Taco Bell
Xfinity TV Go
Xfinity TV Remote
Twitch
Uptodate

Hardware Specific Stuff
Quick Remote (IR BLASTER)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Makes me wonder what they complain about on Android and Apple forums because they so perfect.:smile:

Well from what I can see...

iPhone software and hardware problems, no escaping that.
General forum stuff. (how do I do X? Help me do Y)
When jailbreak iOS 9.1?
When jailbreak iOS 9.2?
Should I upgrade to iOS 9.2?
Should I upgrade to iOS 9.2.1?
Latest jailbreak news?

Why is Hangouts better on iOS?
Help me root X model.
basically "marshmallow when in india?" (but less India and more specific model)
-advanced stuff-

etc etc

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I think this will deviate the topic pretty far. These are just apps I frequently use;

Instagram
Kindle
Facebook
Twitter
Amazon Shopping
Ebay
Roku
Waze
Wordpress
Yelp

Google Music
Amazon Music
AMC
AO Surgery Reference
Chase
Comedy Central
Dragon Medical Dictation
Fandango
FXNow
Netgear Genie
GPB Georgia
NCCN Guidelines
HBO Go
Kroger
Lowe's
Medscape
Facebook Moments
Slick Deals
Snap Chat
Starbucks
Taco Bell
Xfinity TV Go
Xfinity TV Remote
Twitch
Uptodate

Hardware Specific Stuff

WAZE??? Are you joking? That's my only navi app since I bought my 520 , the best on the road with realtime updates

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Instagram
Kindle
Facebook
Twitter
Amazon Shopping
Ebay
Roku
Waze
Wordpress
Yelp

Google Music
Amazon Music
AMC
AO Surgery Reference
Chase
Comedy Central
Dragon Medical Dictation
Fandango
FXNow
Netgear Genie
GPB Georgia
NCCN Guidelines
HBO Go
Kroger
Lowe's
Medscape
Facebook Moments
Slick Deals
Snap Chat
Starbucks
Taco Bell
Xfinity TV Go
Xfinity TV Remote
Twitch
Uptodate

Hardware Specific Stuff

Some of those do exist in windows phone that are in your do not exist list. But I get it, there are also apps on windows phone that are much better than android, Huetro is a hue app that's much better than anything in android, myTube, there are many others.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
WAZE??? Are you joking? That's my only navi app since I bought my 520 , the best on the road with realtime updates

Waze is much better in android. That is why I listed it.

Some of those do exist in windows phone that are in your do not exist list. But I get it, there are also apps on windows phone that are much better than android, Huetro is a hue app that's much better than anything in android, myTube, there are many others.

Correction: UpToDate is on Windows Phone (I don't know if it is good or bad) and Medscape should be moved to better on Android category.

I would still count YouTube on android as better than MyTube because it is free. Granted, MyTube has a lot of promotions to get it free. Even so, I like some things in the official app better (portrait mode shows the list of suggested videos while playing the video). Even though I like the ability to download videos on MyTube, I could do that with a 3rd party app in android, which is what you have to do in Windows Mobile. Rather than get into this debate about preference, I just left Youtube off my list. Same thing with Google Hangouts vs Skype, Chrome Browser vs Edge Browser, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

Instagram
Kindle
Facebook
Twitter
Amazon Shopping
Ebay
Roku
Waze
Wordpress
Yelp

Google Music
Amazon Music
AMC
AO Surgery Reference
Chase
Comedy Central
Dragon Medical Dictation
Fandango
FXNow
Netgear Genie
GPB Georgia
NCCN Guidelines
HBO Go
Kroger
Lowe's
Medscape
Facebook Moments
Slick Deals
Snap Chat
Starbucks
Taco Bell
Xfinity TV Go
Xfinity TV Remote
Twitch
Uptodate

Hardware Specific Stuff

Gems of Windows platform
1. Bookviser reader - 3D page rotation, multiple formats including Epub, Universal and FREE.
2. myTube - Universal, lets us save video/music directly to SD card, beautiful UI
3. Magnify Reader - UI will literally blow your mind. It's amazing!
4. Saavn / Gaana - Awesome universal app for music streaming and downloading in India
5. Flipkart - Online shopping (India) - Supports voice search and friends recommendation, can pin your favourite products to start screen. Live tiles shows the latest price and offers if any.
6. Readiy - Awesome feed reader for PC
7. AppRaisin
8. Adobe photoshop express
7. HERE suit of apps (City Lens, maps, drive, transit)
8. Office suite of apps(many win 10 machines/smartphones get free 1 year office 2016 subscription)
9. Action Note - Integrates note taking into action centre and synchronizes that across Win 10 PC and smartphones with a common login. Cannot live without this app.
10. wpTorrent - The best torrent client on a smartphone available exclusively on Windows smartphones(WP8.1). Saves files directly on SD card.
11. Advanced English Dictionary - This is the best dictionary app available on Win 10 PC and smartphones. Live tiles displays the word of the day and its meaning!
12. Audible
13. BookMyShow - Universal app - exists on PC and smartphones (India)
14. IRCTC - Official Indian railway ticket booking app arrived first on Windows smartphones and PC!
15. Ouga - An awesome 3rd party app for Tumblr - PC & smartphones
16. Squid - An awesome note taking app
17. Fresh Paint - An awesome painting and sketching app
18. WhosDown - WhatsApp client for Windows 10 PC - better than nothing!
19. Lumia camera suite of apps - Creative studio, cinemagraph, Lumia camera, Panorama, Selfie
I can go on and on. But my point was to highlight the fact that some developers are really working hard to make awesome apps exclusively for Windows platform. Android may have more number of apps but thanks to these developers, Windows platform today is giving a tough fight to Android and iOS. Let us appreciate the efforts of those Windows developers.

lamminium

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Correction: UpToDate is on Windows Phone (I don't know if it is good or bad) and Medscape should be moved to better on Android category.

UTD on WP is almost identical to the android app, sans the calculators.

On topic: I agree MS apps on android aren't always better. I really don't know were the myth came from. For example, I don't like the UI of Outlook on android (folders under each email account). W10M Outlook UI is better (cleaner and more accessible, quick glance at all accounts at the top, then folders at the bottom).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)