640XL vs 950XL

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
If you have a tendency to flip between a lot of apps you will notice the difference there. On the 950xl you go to task switcher and select an app and bam it's there.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I was in the market for the 950Xl when it was announced and I had pretty much made up my mind on it. However, I have been using the 640XL (DS/ LTE) for sometime now and I made an assessment. In terms of specs, as mentioned in a number of posts above, the 950XL blows away the 640XL. But this warrants a second and closer look.

I am a basic user of smart phones - by this I mean, aside from the "normal" uses (calling, texting, Telegram, Whatsapp, YouTube, Readit, News streams Office etc.), I don't push my device.

However, my requirements are (1) a large screen (2) comfortable to hold and handle (3) robust. I found that the 640XL gives me all that - especially the robust part - I have dropped the phone a number of times now and there is not a single scratch on it!!!

So, I asked myself, what will the 950XL get me - specific to my needs as mentioned above - that the 640XL does not do? Leaving aside the specs, nothing much really - particularly because I don't play any games on my phone. Moreover, the 950XL is very expensive as of now.

So, I opted to remain with the 640XL (which is performing brilliantly with W10M .122) for the time being and see what MS brings to the table in and around Fall this year.

Weaknesses of the 640XL? Well, on-board storage (8GB, really, MS?????), the 1GB RAM (but here I must say that W10M is brilliant because I have not yet felt the lack of RAM - though I am sure I will soon enough). One could argue about the camera button and I would agree that it would be more convenient.

Despite all of this, I think - based on my personal experience - that the 640XL is a brilliant device!!!

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I agree with what most people are saying. I think the 640XL is an amazing phone for the price. 5.7" screen, with a simple yet smooth design. The 720 display isn't as bad as it might suggest. Simple gaming doesn't have any lag, and most of the basic apps like Groove, and the Office suite run pretty smooth. The 950XL is to this new generation of Windows phones, that the 1520 was a few years ago. It's the memory, display, and camera that really set it apart. The camera on the 640XL is admirable for moderate users, but for those looking for detailed photos and 4K capabilities, then the 950XL will satisfy you until your hearts content. The screen like the 1520 is amazing without the sensitivity issues the 1520 had. If you want to experience continuum then you have no choice but to go with the 950XL. I will say one of the features I miss and would like them to make standard on all windows phones is the glance screen, and tap to wake feature. Granted the iris scanner is neat, but after experiencing the glance screen with touch to wake, it just seems far more convenient. The one issue I did have with the 640XL is no shutter button. I"m glad they brought that back, and again, another feature that should come standard with all windows phones. Its those features that give the windows mobile platform some uniqueness. So if you haven't made a decision yet, here is something you want to keep in mind: If you're not loyal to a certain OEM, I'd take a look at the HP Elite, and remember the surface phone is due to be released in October, so if you can wait out until then, I'd suggest doing so. If you feel you can't wait, you'll be pleased with the 950XL. I picked one up because the screen on my 640 shattered, and I always wait a few months at least for reviews and updates before grabbing the next phone though I have my sights on the surface phone.

Snaffie

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Weaknesses of the 640XL? Well, on-board storage (8GB, really, MS?????), the 1GB RAM (but here I must say that W10M is brilliant because I have not yet felt the lack of RAM - though I am sure I will soon enough). One could argue about the camera button and I would agree that it would be more convenient.

Well this kind of, again prompts one of my questions/concerns.
In reality, we are a year on from the 640XL, so, we can assume that there will be a 2016 version of this phone.
Same size, but with little improvements here and there, as tech moves on, for the same cost year upon year.

That's IMHO what SHOULD happen, but I fear it won't. The 640XL will stagnate.
I will admit, it's one of the things I have always been confused with when it comes to Windows phones even up to this day.

It's like Microsoft have a Dart Board in their office, and across this dart board are things like Good camera, Good Screen, Good Battery, Screen size, RAM amount etc.

They close their eyes, throw the dart and whatever it lands of they think "We will just make ONE model like that"
Then a few months later then throw another dart and made a model that has different mix of parts.

There seems, unlike Apple, to be no logical progression year upon year so that users and devs have a clear understanding of what's what. Where to aim purchases and where devs should aim their apps requirements.

Un Focussed/Random, call it what you will.
Now and again, thru sheer luck the darts fall on some good things and they make a 640XL, the rest of the time they hit other targets and you can almost say "why did you make that?"

Perhaps it's just me that feels this way? I don't feel this helps Microsoft at all in the publics mindset, as it's just a mash of various models and numbers at different price points with a mix of specs.
It's only the very top model that seems to have clarity.

Just me ?

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
It's like Microsoft have a Dart Board in their office, and across this dart board are things like Good camera, Good Screen, Good Battery, Screen size, RAM amount etc.
Perhaps it's just me that feels this way

Not just you!! Most companies who make a good product do it by progression...making the existing product better. I love your analogy, that sums it up perfectly.
Trouble is that it's not just phone hardware, it's software too!!

I think the whole of MS should be run by the Surface division as they seem to take a product and continually improve it. :smile:

Snaffie

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
So, by ANY logic one could care to use.
The 640 and 640XL should be phased out this year to be replaced by the "same screen size but better specced" 650 and 650XL
That would be logical and understandable.

npoe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
One of my friends has the Lumia 640 XL running WP8.1 Update 2 and if I put it against my Lumia 950 XL the speed difference is not big.

I guess that as time pass the hardware difference is going to show.

Snaffie

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Thanks.

If I'm honest (and I'm only guessing) I'd not expect the UI to be much different as once it's smooth, it's smooth :)

I would expect, or at least hope to see a BIG difference when it comes to the smoothness of say a 3D game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos