What is the best non-lumia Windows Phone?

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
The OP had mentioned his budget around 400$ (not sure it's USD or C$). I just checked ebay and new, unlocked HTC W8 is around 200~250USD - which sit comfortably inside OP's shooting range.

--
I do agree ATIV S was a good phone - I also have one testing the newest w10m now. However it already shown it's age....the SoC and I/O performance is not seamlessly fast anymore. Plus the ATIV S was EOL long ago, there's almost impossible to get a new set and quite a chance there will be no future support - you are on your own (hack the way to get preview build) and Samsung seems not caring much.

However Samsung did leave a good base of this phone's camera - It reads out the most accurate (compared to me DSLR) auto exposure value through light meter app than my iPhone 6 plus (what an amazing result!) and the old 8mp camera kills the new 13mp camera from infocus M535.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I'm not about to buy it anyway, not before Microsoft adds the ability to write and reply with another email than our outlook.com email on their mail client. I put all my personnal and pro emails in my email service (currently Gmail) and if I'm to move to MS I want to have that functionnality so I can answer clients from my phone. I'll see what's coming in the next few months but the BLU Win HD is pretty interesting.

Urm, that functionality is already there bro. I've synced two of my e-mails on my phone, sending and receiving emails as the email service themselves and not as outlook.

The two e-mails I use are Gmail based. My main personal email is of course, a regular Gmail account, and my university e-mail is based off of Gmail service. I've sent and receive emails using both just fine. In fact, this functionality had existed back in WP8.1.

Also, you can add your company's own email service to your phone. I'm not sure how to set that up though since I've yet to use one, but from what I heard from other users, you need only to know the server of your company's email services, or so they say. Again, I'm no expert in that, so yeah.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Urm, that functionality is already there bro. I've synced two of my e-mails on my phone, sending and receiving emails as the email service themselves and not as outlook.

The two e-mails I use are Gmail based. My main personal email is of course, a regular Gmail account, and my university e-mail is based off of Gmail service. I've sent and receive emails using both just fine. In fact, this functionality had existed back in WP8.1.

Also, you can add your company's own email service to your phone. I'm not sure how to set that up though since I've yet to use one, but from what I heard from other users, you need only to know the server of your company's email services, or so they say. Again, I'm no expert in that, so yeah.

I don't think you understand what I mean. I want to be able to add my accounts to my outlook.com account and for those to be synced with the Outlook app so that I only add one email address, which would be my outlook.com address, and have access to sending from all the email addresses that are linked in my outlook.com account. That function was indeed there on Windows Phone 8.1 but was removed on the new version of the Outlook app on Windows 10 Mobile and PC. I've checked a couple of days ago on my PC and there a plethora of people asking for this feature on the Web.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
That's just what happens when OEMs are lazy and release android rehashes :)

The two statements aren't contradictory. Just actually proof that the statement is true. And a rehash isn't always a bad thing - just depends on the hardware.

Just once I'd love to see a phone (with new, elegant hardware) released on Android and Windows mobile at the same time. Sure 1% would get the windows version, but it'd still be nice.

bucfan11

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Not sure what you're looking for in a phone. Me, I was looking for a larger screen and felt like the Moly X1 was a better value than the 640 XL. I've had my X1 a couple of months now and have been extremely pleased. Plus it comes with Windows 10. Check out the reviews of it on this forum.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what you're looking for in a phone. Me, I was looking for a larger screen and felt like the Moly X1 was a better value than the 640 XL. I've had my X1 a couple of months now and have been extremely pleased. Plus it comes with Windows 10. Check out the reviews of it on this forum.

I didn't know that one! I'll look into it! Thanks :)

Surely the Xiaomi Mi4 is the best Windows Phone on the market right now. (Yes you can flash it from MiUi to WP)

How do you Flash WP on an Android device?

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
I don't think you understand what I mean. I want to be able to add my accounts to my outlook.com account and for those to be synced with the Outlook app so that I only add one email address, which would be my outlook.com address, and have access to sending from all the email addresses that are linked in my outlook.com account. That function was indeed there on Windows Phone 8.1 but was removed on the new version of the Outlook app on Windows 10 Mobile and PC. I've checked a couple of days ago on my PC and there a plethora of people asking for this feature on the Web.

Ah I see. That function is not there yet, I suppose. But isn't having your different email accounts linked to one outlook account the same as setting up your different emails on your phone, then view all of it in one inbox (linked-inboxes, a new feature for Outlook on mobile, though I hardly use it)?

And sorry for asking out of topic questions. Just curious about other user's opinion :)

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Ah I see. That function is not there yet, I suppose. But isn't having your different email accounts linked to one outlook account the same as setting up your different emails on your phone, then view all of it in one inbox (linked-inboxes, a new feature for Outlook on mobile, though I hardly use it)?

And sorry for asking out of topic questions. Just curious about other user's opinion :)

Oh no problem :)

It's the same on the phone but not quite. For example, sending an email will save it in the Sent folder of the email account and not my outlook.com account so follow-ups will be a bit harder to do. Maybe though I could just get used to using the apps. But I prefer the way things are. See that's the thing with WM, the things that dre away, twice, is the amount of compromise one has to make to use the platform. I want as little compromise to do as possible.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The two statements aren't contradictory. Just actually proof that the statement is true. And a rehash isn't always a bad thing - just depends on the hardware.

Just once I'd love to see a phone (with new, elegant hardware) released on Android and Windows mobile at the same time. Sure 1% would get the windows version, but it'd still be nice.

You spoke my words better :)

Arend Soetemans

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
How do you Flash WP on an Android device?

microsoft and xiaomi worked together to make it possible to install the w10 mobile insiders preview on their phone, the flashing process can be found on their miui forum.

if they would release their new mi5 phone in Europe with w10 mobile then i would likely buy it from them over all the other windows phones out here

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
microsoft and xiaomi worked together to make it possible to install the w10 mobile insiders preview on their phone, the flashing process can be found on their miui forum.

if they would release their new mi5 phone in Europe with w10 mobile then i would likely buy it from them over all the other windows phones out here
I don't like china products ....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise