The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
08-03-2017 05:35 PM
246 1234 ...
tools
    I'm a big Google Now fan and it seems to work well on iOS. I'm not a big Google+ user but I do have a fairly well developed account and it's nice to have a very good app if I do want to use it. I'm not using it but from what I've read the outlook app for iOS is pretty awesome. Bottom line, there are so many options and choices on iOS and Android and very few on W10M. Life it too short to settle. Ain't nobody got time for that!!!
    03-15-2016 07:24 PM
    I'm sure that there are WP/W10M users that don't feel the app gap (for whatever reason you like) and I'm sure that there are users that feel that they do need more apps on the WP/W10M platform. I have both Android and WP and I do feel the app gap. I hope that the recent participation of 3rd party smartphone makers (like HP) will encourage sw makers to take a deeper look/interest at the MS mobile platform.
    GMC262 and Tien-Lin Chang like this.
    03-15-2016 08:36 PM
    Coming from Symbian, when I first transitioned to WP8 on my Lumia 920, there was certainly a lot of shortcomings on WP then. There was no USB OTG which Symbian has, there was not file explorer, and the list goes on. But somehow I got used to it and come up with other turnarounds. We humans adapt fast. And four years since then I get to see some features coming back in W10M. From here, it seems to me that WP/W10M development in basic functionality is rather slow. Sure it may other niche features but basic features that user like me used to have on Symbian came back rather slow. And during this period, Android and iOS had started to catch up by giving basic features that many users are crying for. But MS has been rather slow. That could be why users left after trying WP and not many from other platform wants to try out WP after hearing so many shortcomings from others and also from some biased tech review websites.

This could have made the user growth slow or stagnant. With that, apps developers are reluctant to build apps for WP8. And with not many apps, many more users jumped ship. It's the whole chicken and egg cycle. People do not want to use WP because of the app gap. Developers do not want to build apps because there is not enough users. Then come W10. Universal app platform is a good idea. Creating more user base because apps can be used on W10 and W10M. But does that mean developers have to rewrite the app? If user base has been low for all this while, it's hard to get them to re-write, I guess. Yes, MS can promise the whole W10 will have a lot of users thing but, are developers keen? Project Islandwood is a good idea but what would be the motivation factor for an iOS app developer to create app for W10M. Yes, it might be easier because of Islandwood but what would they get other than that? How is MS attracting them?

As a user myself, I will promote W10 to families and friends but how much can a small fry like me do to bring up the market share? And with a majority if tech websites labeling WP/W10M a dying platform.... Are they just being biased, or are they not familiar enough with the whole WP/W10M as they themselves haven't used WP? Or are they speaking the truth?

I like WP/W10M. Having a secondary Android phone (Asus), WP is cleaner than Android. Widgets could not compare to live tiles. Also, when using Android, I always have this fear that there could be spyware, viruses or hackers targeting my credit cards, banking information when I am performing online transactions, yes even through banking apps. But I feel secure when WP web version. It could just be me being paranoid but I feel that Android and iOS are major targets for the scammers and hackers because of their large user base.

The thing I love the most about my Lumias are the camera. I don't have fancy a DSLR and my current 950XL is my primary camera for taking pictures and videos of my kids. Actually my Nokia N8, 808, Lumi 920, 1520 used to be my trusted primary cameras. They created wonderful memories for me.

Okay. Enough of the long writings. I like WP/W10M. There are app gaps that I wished to be filled but by saying "I can live with it" it's me adapting or bending myself to use WP/W10M because of the clean, somewhat secure platform and to be able to get the best camera. So it all depends on our priorities I guess. :-). If those missing apps are really important/cruial/mission-critical to you for personal or work reasons, then it might be wiser to switch to Android or iOS.

Haha, i really miss a local shopping app that I have on my Android but not on W10M. Thru the app I can get discounts but using the web version on W10M, I don't get discount :-(
    Laura Knotek, libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    03-15-2016 09:11 PM
    You know, there's a comment that drives me more nuts than anything I've read on this forum, it goes something like this:

"I have all the apps I want and I'm happy. Don't see what the fuss is all about"

This irritates me more than anything. That's not the point. I'm glad 'you're happy' but I don't really care. Call it personal opinion if you want but you're being happy isn't brining more people the platform nor helping the situation. If W10M is going to go anywhere it needs to be liked by more than some small group going 'we're happy like this'.

Let's face it, W10M users are a small group comparatively, which is why there's an app issue in the first place. Regardless of the image problem that MS has. Let's ignore the W10 universal thing at the moment as that hasn't been proven to be a successful project yet.

What I agree totally with the OP is this. Regardless how nice W10M is looks, it doesn't make up for it with the lack of things. Ever since I've been using Android I haven't been bothered by the idea of not having an app available or functionality available. There's no inconvenience. This is what people don't seem to get on W10M for some reason.

Sure I know there's mobile sites but some are not that good and others can be limited so apps are better for the most part until everyone catches up on the idea of good mobile sites.

It's about choice, for some reason, choice seems to be a problem for some people on W10M. I like choice. I like options. This is what is lacking and keeps me from coming back to W10M. Until that changes I'm quite happy to stay on Android.
    If I have to summarize your post in a word, it would be CONVENIENCE. That feeling that you don't need to worry about "Oh is it compatible with my device?" is amazing. I was really close to getting an Iphone 6s+ and trade in my 950XL but the Iphone was just too expensive for me.
    03-16-2016 01:21 AM
    If I have to summarize your post in a word, it would be CONVENIENCE. That feeling that you don't need to worry about "Oh is it compatible with my device?" is amazing. I was really close to getting an Iphone 6s+ and trade in my 950XL but the Iphone was just too expensive for me.
    Convenience really is a thing once one has it.

I had no idea how convenient Android Pay was until I actually used it. That is something I would miss if I were to get a 950XL.
    Guytronic, tgp, N_LaRUE and 5 others like this.
    03-16-2016 01:41 AM
    You know, there's a comment that drives me more nuts than anything I've read on this forum, it goes something like this:

"I have all the apps I want and I'm happy. Don't see what the fuss is all about"

This irritates me more than anything. That's not the point. I'm glad 'you're happy' but I don't really care. Call it personal opinion if you want but you're being happy isn't brining more people the platform nor helping the situation. If W10M is going to go anywhere it needs to be liked by more than some small group going 'we're happy like this'.
    You do realize this is no different than whines or complaints. In fact, people who are so miserable with windows 10 but refuse to switch or have switch but still bash the OS, are the very same ones who usually are attacking users who say the app gap doesn't bother them.

In this case of the app gap, at the moment there is nothing to be done. I'm glad Astoria was cancelled.

What Microsoft should be focusing on is less of the app gap, since that is on developers and more of refining the OS and hardware experience. Control what they can, fix what they should. It does seem like Microsoft handling of windows 10 and Lumia is precisely what sped up it's present state. The app gap itself has always been an issue but the state of the OS seemed to accelerate things.
    aximtreo and mandong like this.
    03-16-2016 02:33 AM
    Well what does saying "I am not happy aswell" contribute to the discussion and to the person's question?
    Never said I was unhappy either. It should be fine for people to say they're unhappy though. This forum is littered with that statement however.

Discussion is what is important. Not whether you're happy or not. To add value or ideas to discussions you need to be able to see things from various points of view. Just making statements either way, happy or unhappy doesn't add value to a discussion.

Suggesting things are missing and this could be a block to someone either coming to W10M or returning is not 'unhappy' just someone not prepared to sacrifice their current convenience they have with the ecosystem they're used to. For some people it's not a big deal to move as they're not a full smartphone user, in other words, their life is not fully linked to their phones, for others the idea of losing something they have is simply not worth it.

What that 'something' is can be anything from apps, to compatibility, to functionality. There's many things that can prevent someone from wanting to join/return to the W10M ecosystem.

What W10M has going for it and has had going for it from the beginning is the promise of something great. However, the promise is taking far longer than some people want to wait for. That's the issue at the moment.

I'd be happy to return to W10M when I feel I won't be missing anything. At this point in time, that's unlikely to happen within the next year or so.
    03-16-2016 02:34 AM
    You do realize this is no different than whines or complaints. In fact, people who are so miserable with windows 10 but refuse to switch or have switch but still bash the OS, are the very same ones who usually are attacking users who say the app gap doesn't bother them.

In this case of the app gap, at the moment there is nothing to be done. I'm glad Astoria was cancelled.

What Microsoft should be focusing on is less of the app gap, since that is on developers and more of refining the OS and hardware experience. Control what they can, fix what they should. It does seem like Microsoft handling of windows 10 and Lumia is precisely what sped up it's present state. The app gap itself has always been an issue but the state of the OS seemed to accelerate things.
    I have no bone to pick with W10M. I'm not using nor am I bashing it. It's simply not for me currently.

I know you're a big fan of W10M so I'm not keen to get into any arguments with you or anyone else for that matter.

My point was and I'll say this simply, is about discussion. To have a discussion you need to look beyond your point of view. Just making statements saying 'I'm happy' which I've seen on many many threads, is not a point of discussion. Just a personal statement. That's all my beef was about.

Nothing more.
    03-16-2016 02:41 AM
    Okay, the thing about apps is some need a lot while others need a few. Some do not mind missing a feature while others feel really stressed when certain features are missing.
    Some don't know there is an app while others don't care an app exists for a certain function. Others absolutely need it and will move platform to get that particular app.

I recently asked my friend who's been using a lumia 620 why she moved to HTC and android. Her phone got stolen so she got a new one and she wanted a new experience, fresh and simple. Apps weren't the reason why she moved, but just trying something new. Do I expect her to come back to windows? Not in the next 3 years since that's the average time it takes for the average person to get a new phone.

When I say I'm satisfied with the apps I have, I meant there aren't any that I need that I don't have. I am a big fan of the lumia camera and will not consider any other OS just because of this one app. Manual controls are the best feature coupled with the 41MP camera. I really don't care if apps for paying fees or bills is there or not, apps for baking, shopping etc are there or not. I rarely do any of that and it is always in cash in a store. I have bought one thing only online in the last 5 years.

I avoid apps that depend on internet connectivity since that is always lacking

If I knew that for example, word flow wasn't available anymore on windows but available on android, I might consider a possibility of moving, But thankfully word flow is for windows, lumia camera is for windows, nokia creative studio, lumia creative studio, proshot, 6tag are for windows and I have no reason a present to move. Even if my phone gets stolen, I'll track it down and get it back because it's a one in a kind
    Laura Knotek, aximtreo and GF Wong like this.
    03-16-2016 02:46 AM
    Okay, the thing about apps is some need a lot while others need a few. Some do not mind missing a feature while others feel really stressed when certain features are missing.
    Some don't know there is an app while others don't care an app exists for a certain function. Others absolutely need it and will move platform to get that particular app.

I recently asked my friend who's been using a lumia 620 why she moved to HTC and android. Her phone got stolen so she got a new one and she wanted a new experience, fresh and simple. Apps weren't the reason why she moved, but just trying something new. Do I expect her to come back to windows? Not in the next 3 years since that's the average time it takes for the average person to get a new phone.

When I say I'm satisfied with the apps I have, I meant there aren't any that I need that I don't have. I am a big fan of the lumia camera and will not consider any other OS just because of this one app. Manual controls are the best feature coupled with the 41MP camera. I really don't care if apps for paying fees or bills is there or not, apps for baking, shopping etc are there or not. I rarely do any of that and it is always in cash in a store. I have bought one thing only online in the last 5 years.

I avoid apps that depend on internet connectivity since that is always lacking

If I knew that for example, word flow wasn't available anymore on windows but available on android, I might consider a possibility of moving, But thankfully word flow is for windows, lumia camera is for windows, nokia creative studio, lumia creative studio, proshot, 6tag are for windows and I have no reason a present to move. Even if my phone gets stolen, I'll track it down and get it back because it's a one in a kind
    As you point out, everyone is different. :)

Change is good though. Helps you realise what you like, what you don't like and what you feel may be missing. That's one of the reasons I changed platform as well. It wasn't about dislike or being unhappy. It was just to see what else there was.

I did have a bit of a lemon of a WP however but I still used it for two years but I still enjoyed my experience regardless of the pain.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 03-16-2016 at 03:59 AM.
    03-16-2016 02:52 AM
    There use to be good apps on WP but they're all gone and don't understand way because it where Nokia alias Lumia apps and MS did buy that part.

Most i miss Movie trailers,Lumia Camera and Lumia Panorama...and now the Here suit is gone also and no maps is not as good.

A few years ago the lumia apps and Here suit was a selling point now it's gone for WP and IOS and Android still have it...that's right in the face.

Hell, i did buy a 950 with a great camera but i have no panorama...can you imagine that anno 2016 and MS keeps very quiet about the promised panorama function.

I'm an Insider and big WP fan but i have my limits...i give it 6 months and if MS doesn't fix this all i'm gone too like many others.
    wgrs likes this.
    03-16-2016 05:06 AM
    I just don't get this obsession with regular updates. Is it a thrill for the younger generations to see that notification? There's a huge difference between an app that needs attention and one that gets updated constantly. Not all updates are good - signifies that there were a lot of loose ends that needed to be addressed before being released. Keeping the app up to date (new features) is another issue all together.

Anyway... Facebook is working on an official universal app for Windows 10 - currently in closed beta. I would suspect that this app would be maintained with current features (they've already added the new mood options from what I've seen posted) and should be more on par with the other OS versions.

I feel that Twitter on Windows 10 needs a universal app to bring both mobile and desktop apps on the same page.

Instagram recently ported their iOS app over to Windows 10 and is currently available while in beta.

As Windows 10 gains momentum you will see more development for the OS. Developers will hopefully take advantage of the universal aspect and make these apps available on mobile as well. I believe that you will see more and more major companies and developers making apps for Windows 10 in the very near future.

EDIT: Twitter just updated their app today for mobile, making it more like the desktop. It's also interesting how the apps the OP inquired about are coming out as official apps but he doesn't seem to care..
    Last edited by celticmagick; 03-16-2016 at 02:35 PM.
    03-16-2016 08:20 AM
    I just don't get this obsession with regular updates. Is it a thrill for the younger generations to see that notification? There's a huge difference between an app that needs attention and one that gets updated constantly. Not all updates are good - signifies that there were a lot of loose ends that needed to be addressed before being released. Keeping the app up to date (new features) is another issue all together.
    I guess you must not use any apps that would be great with an update. Keeping the app up to date is the same thing as actually updating the app. An example is what Twitter added with Moments. In time, updates came out with Android, and iOS. That was a new feature so it was added.

Also, if there's an issue of crashing or having things break in the app, why would I not want an update? A book app I use everyday crashes on Windows Phone. It also fails to sync with other devices. On iOS, the same app was updated 2 times in the same month, to address issues with saving information. As far as I am concerned, updates are good.

I can agree that sometimes updates aren't as needed, but it's a LOT better to have a choice over not having one at all. The Waze app that everyone seems to talk about, used to be updated. Now that it isn't, I hear so many varied reports but only for the WM/WP version.
    03-16-2016 08:34 AM
    Adding to what libra mentions above:

App updates mean the developer is holding up their end of the deal also.
    Updates in good faith are nurturing for the OS they support.

Regular updates are important for solidarity as I see it.
    libra89, dlalonde, N_LaRUE and 4 others like this.
    03-16-2016 09:09 AM
    If your life revolves around Google and its services you are better off with Android. If you live and work where people are mostly on iPhones you might be better off with an iPhone (for example at a college). If you are a person who instead uses a phone mainly as a communication tool and likes to pay less, get a great camera at the price point, and likes simple and smooth operation Windows might be for you. Some people seem to think that a phone OS must be all things to all people. Sure, Microsoft probably would like that to be the case, but it simply isn't. At this point Windows on phones is a niche product and set of services that is appealing to some, but is not in the mainstream. Comparing Android and iOS is like comparing mainstream cars like Ford and Toyota to a niche specialty brand like Mini Cooper. Yes, most people are better off with a Ford or Toyota and you can purchase spare parts everywhere and get them repaired everywhere, but some people will prefer something different like the Cooper even if they will never be mainstream.
    libra89, Laura Knotek and GF Wong like this.
    03-16-2016 09:11 AM
    Exactly! You're just like me. I use my phone for work. I need my client/teammates apps and services to be available in my phone. I don't want to have to keep saying "Oh I'm sorry I'm on a Windows Phone we'll have to find another way to go".
    I'm in the same camp. My company uses GuideBook for meetings. While everyone is posting pictures and voting in GuideBook, I have to use the mobile version. Hundreds of coworkers keep asking, why aren't you voting. "Well, I have a Windows phone..."

Also there is no app for:
    LA Fitness
    Strava
    Chase Bank
    Bank of America (yet)
    Southwest Airlines
    American Airlines
    SportNgin (team sports organizational app)
    TeamAp (other popular team app)
    03-16-2016 09:15 AM
    I guess you must not use any apps that would be great with an update. Keeping the app up to date is the same thing as actually updating the app. An example is what Twitter added with Moments. In time, updates came out with Android, and iOS. That was a new feature so it was added.

Also, if there's an issue of crashing or having things break in the app, why would I not want an update? A book app I use everyday crashes on Windows Phone. It also fails to sync with other devices. On iOS, the same app was updated 2 times in the same month, to address issues with saving information. As far as I am concerned, updates are good.

I can agree that sometimes updates aren't as needed, but it's a LOT better to have a choice over not having one at all. The Waze app that everyone seems to talk about, used to be updated. Now that it isn't, I hear so many varied reports but only for the WM/WP version.
    I don't have any major issues with my apps, they work for me and perform the tasks I expect them to. The updates that I have seen so far have not changed my experience whatsoever. Again, minor little tweaks here and there are hardly ever noticed and most are for slight improvements in efficiency under the hood.

I knew someone would jump my case and go overboard. I never said updates were not needed. If something is broken then it should be fixed. If a new feature is added to the service then update the app to include that. I said that. I also feel that apps should have a level of quality when released to the public as an official/stable version and when they are constantly updated after that release it shows the contrary. It looks sloppy and careless. That's all I was saying. It's just my opinion and I don't expect others to agree.
    Guytronic and libra89 like this.
    03-16-2016 09:21 AM

Anyway... Facebook is working on an official universal app for Windows 10 - currently in closed beta. I would suspect that this app would be maintained with current features (they've already added the new mood options from what I've seen posted) and should be more on par with the other OS versions.

I feel that Twitter on Windows 10 needs a universal app to bring both mobile and desktop apps on the same page.

Instagram recently ported their iOS app over to Windows 10 and is currently available while in beta.

As Windows 10 gains momentum you will see more development for the OS. Developers will hopefully take advantage of the universal aspect and make these apps available on mobile as well. I believe that you will see more and more major companies and developers making apps for Windows 10 in the very near future.
    When I talk about updates, I'm talking about apps that are not equal to their iOS/Android counterparts. For example, when a new feature arrives on Facebook that isn't added to the FB apps months later, that becomes a problem if you need or even just enjoy the feature.
    03-16-2016 10:17 AM
    When I talk about updates, I'm talking about apps that are not equal to their iOS/Android counterparts. For example, when a new feature arrives on Facebook that isn't added to the FB apps months later, that becomes a problem if you need or even just enjoy the feature.
    I.e. Spotify, and Discover Weekly. Nowhere to be found on the mobile app for WP, but it's there's on iOS and Android. I happen to find songs that I like and are new to me from it.
    03-16-2016 10:28 AM
    In the current internet environment, I do see regular updates as important from a security point of view. Regardless of WM's distant third place status in the mobile market, security is important to build and maintain trust, particularly as WM has a large business presence, at least in the UK. Apps which deal with credentials, bank details or personal info need to be able to be patched in the event of an issue.
    03-16-2016 10:29 AM
    One statement on the app gap. I am not denying it is real, but I bet 95% of people only use basic apps 95% of the time: calendar, alarm, phone, messaging, email, browser, maps, weather, news, and camera would cover most of what I see being done on phones every day. Heck, if we had to most of us could exist just fine with nothing on a phone but the ability to make calls, texts, and emails--I bet that covers at least 75% of all smartphone usage I see.
    Might be, but when it is time to choose a phone, people are not gonna choose 75% when they can get 100% of the apps available on iOS or Android. and that is the point. As long as all the services and apps are leaving instead of coming to WP, it isn't going to grow.
    It doesn't matter what people need, what matters is what people think they want. This is exactly the mistake that Nokia made when Apple turned up with iPhone.
    libra89 and dlalonde like this.
    03-16-2016 10:43 AM
    Might be, but when it is time to choose a phone, people are not gonna choose 75% when they can get 100% of the apps available on iOS or Android. and that is the point. As long as all the services and apps are leaving instead of coming to WP, it isn't going to grow.
    It doesn't matter what people need, what matters is what people think they want. This is exactly the mistake that Nokia made when Apple turned up with iPhone.
    The other thing to point out it's not about how many apps people use, it's the potential to have the opportunity to use them.

To put it another way, there's millions of programs (x86) for Windows PC, but not many people have all them and most don't even know they exist. Most people use just email and internet. Doesn't mean that those other programs shouldn't be available for those who do use them.

That's probably the one thing most people don't understand about the 'app gap'. I may not use the millions of apps on Android but it's nice to know I have the choice and the opportunity to try them out for myself to see if I will use them or not.
    03-16-2016 10:59 AM
    The other thing to point out it's not about how many apps people use, it's the potential to have the opportunity to use them.

To put it another way, there's millions of programs (x86) for Windows PC, but not many people have all them and most don't even know they exist. Most people use just email and internet. Doesn't mean that those other programs shouldn't be available for those who do use them.

That's probably the one thing most people don't understand about the 'app gap'. I may not use the millions of apps on Android but it's nice to know I have the choice and the opportunity to try them out for myself to see if I will use them or not.
    You're right. I am not a heavy app user myself but you know that if you come into a situation that does need an app ie a new smartwatch, fitness tracker etc or simply trying to print a photo at your local walmart etc. it's almost guaranteed there will be one for iOS and Android, but not your Windows Phone. Then the ones that are available will either lack functionality at best or simply not work at worst.

A phone is about convenience as you said. With Windows Phone it sometimes feels like you are denying yourself this. Of course the hardcore fans will say "well just go then" but many of us are hanging around because we do like the platform and are simply hoping that UWP does take off.

The trouble is, I am not seeing much resurgence in this respect. Some say well Windows 10 mobile hasn't been out long enough, but then again wasn't the idea that the much larger Windows 10 Desktop supposed to drive this? It already has over 200 million installations. How much larger does it have to get before this happens? If it depends on Windows 10 mobile, then doesn't that put us back where we started?

I agree with the OP, we should be able to discuss this. I think in the 'war' between the so called 'haters' and the hardcore fans, those in the middle ie us get caught in the crossfire.
    03-16-2016 11:52 AM
    I agree with the OP, we should be able to discuss this. I think in the 'war' between the so called 'haters' and the hardcore fans, those in the middle ie us get caught in the crossfire.
    Oh soooo true!
    Guytronic and N_LaRUE like this.
    03-16-2016 12:22 PM
    I am reminded of a study I read that indicated why people were dissatisfied with various car brands. Those purchasing Hummers were most unhappy with the gas mileage they were getting--well, Duh! It's like someone purchasing a compact car and then complaining about the size of the trunk. Same thing around phones--buy the phone that performs best for what you want and need, not what any of us are telling you. I have used Android pretty extensively and I could be fairly happy with that OS, but I found Windows benefits outweighed the negatives--for me! iPhones probably have the best app ecosystem hands down, so if apps are very important to you head over there. For the stuff I do nearly every day Windows works better so I like what we have. Could it be better? Sure!
    Guytronic, aximtreo and CSJr1 like this.
    03-16-2016 12:28 PM
246 1234 ...