08-03-2017 05:35 PM
246 12345 ...
tools
    While I appreciate the myriad of ways I can use my phone, at the end of the day, I need my phone to be a phone first and foremost, and WP has not let me down. I actually followed Nokia, and I liked what they did with Symbian. I've tried Android and I hate the words force close with a passion! And too many sheeple have iPhone, I'm not the following type.
    dlalonde likes this.
    03-16-2016 12:43 PM
    Convenience really is a thing once one has it.

I had no idea how convenient Android Pay was until I actually used it. That is something I would miss if I were to get a 950XL.

You could always use the new MS "Someday Pay" app. LOL
    03-16-2016 01:55 PM
    You could always use the new MS "Someday Pay" app. LOL
    At your local store: "And did you find everything you need?" "Er... not yet, I still can't find my payment app"
    03-16-2016 02:13 PM
    At your local store: "And did you find everything you need?" "Er... not yet, I still can't find my payment app"
    Ha ha ha ha!!!
    03-16-2016 02:16 PM
    You are definitely not alone. I bought a Lumia 900 on launch day and stayed with WP until it became obvious that there wouldn't be any WP flagships for a while. I spent a year with a Note 4 and iPhone 6+ and then got a Note 5 when it was released. About 6 weeks ago I decided to give W10M a try so I bought a 950, then a 1520 and also a M8. Today I am buying a iPhone 6s Plus and selling the 1520 and M8 (the 950 is already gone). Windows 10 Mobile and the available hardware to run it just isn't as good as iOS or Android. It's just as simple as that.
    phlamethrower -- You will enjoy your new iPhone...I do. I don't know how many times I've said to myself, I'm glad I purchased the 6s Plus. My last Windows phone was 1520, nice phone. When I'm investing several hundreds dollars in a phone, I consider it a long-term investment into the whole ecosystem. I don't buy based purely on the phone, but everything together.

I was a long time supporter of Microsoft.

Well, I was willing to stick it out for awhile. My wife & I both had 920's & 1520's. App quality many times was lacking. And the amount of apps that WM didn't have started to get me concerned. Then, MS not really updating very often or very well, it got me more concerned. A company that has to keep telling it's users we will continue to support the ecosystem doesn't make you comfortable either - Why do they need to? Does Apple need to do that? Does Google have to do that? Also, accessories, like a good watch not being available & other devices is a problem. I use apps way more than the browser, you may not.

I love the specialized experience in apps rather than on the web. I enjoy that I don't usually have to find a work around because I don't have an app or the app that is available is clunky. The idea of having your phone also be your computer is awesome in concept...But it's really only going to valuable for a select view, maybe mostly business users. I'd rather have the experience of the Surface Pro 3, than my phone. I had both. Plus, the chances of a phone being damaged, lost, or stolen is much higher with my phone than my Surface...Because I bring it more places. I lost a lot of confidence in MS even on the PC OS side of things & their services.

I switched back to what I enjoyed before. Great support, hardware is reliable, apps almost always available, plenty of hardware to go with it...etc. Even, as we know, MS apps are generally better on the iPhone (and I've heard Andriod also).

Was it a Good overall business decision for Microsoft to provide their services & better apps on other platforms, Yes, I would say it is. Going to another OS; Andriod or iOS will allow you to enjoy a lot of the work Microsoft has put into in the last couple years. Enjoying the fruit of their labor is mostly found on other platforms.

I do see that WM is picking up more OEM's and that's a good sign for the future. I've always thought, choose what works for you, not because others say it's better. My wife missed the live tiles & I indeed do also. Once she started seeing more apps, even local stores were available for the iPhone, you then see it's reaffirming we made the right decision. I like the GUI on WM, but not enough to go back. Especially when you don't know if it will drastically change in the future. I will say iOS has a fairly fliud and consistent experience.
    Last edited by roystreet; 03-16-2016 at 03:14 PM.
    03-16-2016 02:46 PM
    I have been on WM since HP iPaq,Dell Axim, HTC TyTN days. So I have seen functionality come and go 2-3 times over. Not sure many people will know what a Compact Flash Type II card is. Can't say I am missing any apps; my bank app is there, I have a voice app to control lights/security, I have my NAS app, and my occasional games are there to pass down time. So I have what I need. I can say that I support the products that support my platform, so kudos to Synology and the Isy994i/pro. That's just the way it is.

But to answer the question, I am not that big into TV but guess DIRECTV can afford to put some mustard on their app.
    03-16-2016 03:59 PM
    They're app deniers.
    It doesn't matter what apps aren't available, they're fine using whatever is.
    Or they're just as happy using some third party app because it essentially does the same thing. That's not the point! As though I'm going to put credit card info into a third party Starbucks app? Not likely. I like WP and I definitely see the potential but am deeply disappointed by the missed opportunities. In contrast, my main driver is an iPhone 6. My work phone is an iPhone 5S. But I use a 640 as my burner and have a half dozen over WP's sitting around. If there were more media apps on WP it might make a difference but right now, I need the apps only available on iOS and Android - and to be blunt, I cannot stand Android.
    03-16-2016 06:12 PM
    I've been in the Windows Phone community since Lumia 800, then had the 8X and now 1520. I honestly kept thinking of buying an Android phone but when I weigh the apps that I want versus the apps that I need, it's always the wants that wins. That's the reason why I'm still on my Lumia 1520, besides it's a phone, I work in front of computer 5 days a week so maybe that's the reason why I don't bother the need banking apps, games, or whatsoever. I am not much of a user who plays a game on phone so not having CoC or whatsoever doesn't even bother me.

For me, the "app gap" is a two way problem, developers don't bother bringing apps to windows platform because there were only few windows phone users, and users don't want to go to windows (mobile) platform because the apps that they need were not available. But in my opinion, I think it's the MSFT that should make a move to bring developers first so they can keep current users from switching (or get more users), which they've already done with UWP. I agree that apps don't get updated as often as it gets in other platform. But I think this will change once W10M update for current WP8.1 becomes available. Besides, twitter is now available on W10M and instagram though still in beta gets updated since its public availability.

I would like to try 950XL as well since Continuum has the potential (because so far Office suite are the only apps I can see that I'd be using on it), Iris scanner is the one that I'd love to have on my phone. These two features are the most ignored by other users and heard some people saying it's not relevant at this moment. Maybe, because it's not the Apple that introduced it.

Let's just hope for the best and for continuum to improve in the next builds so we can fully say W10M is a PC in our Pockets.
    GF Wong, Guytronic and dlalonde like this.
    03-16-2016 08:07 PM
    As though I'm going to put credit card info into a third party Starbucks app?
    This is a very good point that is often glossed over. There is a reason these companies don't like third party apps. As much as we might think Starbucks etc are being asses, they have to protect their liability and they can only reasonably do that in house.
    03-16-2016 08:27 PM
    I have actually enjoyed reading this thread. A civil discussion is so refreshing compared to other threads. So... I'll toss my 2 cents on the pile.

First, I have never owned an iPhone or Android phone. My first smart phone was a Palm Pre. After that an HTC Trophy then all windows phones to my current 950XL. I bought the 950 XL for the hardware features, not the apps. The apps I need are all available and the hardware features are more important to me, like wireless charging, awesome camera, continuum, etc. But that's me and I know not everyone is like me. For most people, apps are the most important thing. Even though I'm satisfied with the app selection, I'm not satisfied with the lack of essential apps. True, I'll probably never use them but others want or need them so they should be available if Windows Mobile will survive. And since I love the interface and hardware, I have a vested interest in the platform surviving. So I'll push for apps whenever I can. I have written emails to encourage apps for windows. I even have downloaded a few apps and tried them just to support the app. Heck, I downloaded the Instagram app and created an account just to try it and haven't used it since.

I think MS is going in the right direction focusing more on enterprise. Continuum is cool and the potential of the HP Elite X3 is pretty amazing to think about. If businesses adopt the "one device for everything" philosophy it will increase the user base which should bring more app development which will bring more individual users to the table. isn't that how we wound up with a PC in every home? Time will tell but one thing is certain without a full selection of popular apps, windows phone will never be mainstream in places that are already dominated by Android and iPhone (which is pretty much everywhere isn't it?)
    03-16-2016 10:05 PM
    This is a very good point that is often glossed over. There is a reason these companies don't like third party apps. As much as we might think Starbucks etc are being asses, they have to protect their liability and they can only reasonably do that in house.
    I'd go with that logic and even understand if they weren't turning away developers I.e Rudy who offered to build the app for them. So no, it's hard to be understanding when you do whatever it takes so people can not use your app
    dlalonde likes this.
    03-17-2016 01:52 AM
    While I appreciate the myriad of ways I can use my phone, at the end of the day, I need my phone to be a phone first and foremost, and WP has not let me down. I actually followed Nokia, and I liked what they did with Symbian. I've tried Android and I hate the words force close with a passion! And too many sheeple have iPhone, I'm not the following type.
    Love this post :)
    dlalonde likes this.
    03-17-2016 01:54 AM
    Everyone keeps saying limited apps but i think it pretty much boils down to personal preference, but i am curious as to what apps are missing that seems to be a deal breaker.
    03-17-2016 02:07 AM
    I'd go with that logic and even understand if they weren't turning away developers I.e Rudy who offered to build the app for them. So no, it's hard to be understanding when you do whatever it takes so people can not use your app
    The problem is that they would need to support the app after introducing it. App support would not be something provided by a part-time developer if we're talking about a major global corporation.
    03-17-2016 02:07 AM
    Everyone keeps saying limited apps but i think it pretty much boils down to personal preference, but i am curious as to what apps are missing that seems to be a deal breaker.
    Usually snapchat(though adults over 25 saying they need this app, usually make me chuckle)

Certain high profile games such as clash of clans I think it's called and a few others.

Then there is bank apps or home automation apps.

And sadly, google apps. When I saw google screwed over windows users repeatedly I made sure to leave google apps alone personally.

In fact it seems that you would just use the native experience of the OS. I know not feasible for some fun but when I used android I used google services, got smart and moved to windows and now use Microsoft services and if I used apple I'd want to keep it first party and use their services.

The app gap doesn't bother me because one, windows phone serves my needs and if I feel the need to follow a trend I have this lame android tablet that I can sir in bed with and voila, it negates the need to change my OS experience. I just extended it by unfortunately being slightly more agnostic (or tainted it as I say) lol.
    dlalonde likes this.
    03-17-2016 02:24 AM
    It is personal preference as is everything. What phone you purchase to what apps you use to what ecosystem you get into. It's all personal preference mixed with a bit of peer pressure and wanting to have the 'latest' whatever.

For many there's a few 'big' apps that are missing and for others it's banking apps. Add in payment apps and smartwear devices to the mix of things.

So what app gap a person has usually boils down to what they're interested in and how much they link their everyday lives to their phone.

Then, as I've pointed out, it's the potential to try an app. Lots of businesses release apps and WM usually doesn't have an app made for it. Then there are services that make apps as well. The list goes on.

It really boils down to the user on how much they do with their phone and what they might want to do with their phone. Everyone is different and everyone has different needs and desires.

You can't really blanket the 'app gap' to anyone on thing. App gap means different things to different people. For many the gap is there and stops them from wanting to use WM.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 03-17-2016 at 04:30 AM.
    03-17-2016 03:49 AM
    The ugly truth is, we love this OS so much but in the end we have to leave it.

I love this OS, but the strategy of Nokia and MS are just chaos.

When Nokia became innovative with body design, the OS from MS was just **** (remember the 1020 with the underpower dualcore SoC).

When the OS were good enough (8.1), Nokia suffer their painful slow dead, camera look like **** from low to mid range (1320), upper mid range devices were over priced (830), and the shinning star suffer the pre and after-effect of the MS-Nokia merging.(1520)

After the merging, design are completely not beautiful enough to attract user, and the long awaited OS kill them all.
    dlalonde likes this.
    03-17-2016 03:58 AM
    My wife has an iPhone. She's in love with my 950xl but she doesn't want to switch platforms because there is no banking app for her bank or for the bank her office uses. Also, there is no shopping app for the grocery store we go to. It may seem silly but that's her preference. The point I'm trying to make is that what makes something a 'deal breaker' will always come down to personal preference.
    03-17-2016 04:13 AM
    I feel the same way. Ever since I bought the 920 and then 1020 and I'm in love with this phone. I was a BRAND ADVOCATE. I would go into argument with my friends on which is the best phone and I used to do it with passion.

But eventually I felt, like if I'm gonna defend the brand more than the brand itself, then we have a problem. I want proper facebook, Youtube, Instagram, twitter apps. I don't want to wait a couple of years for every flagship model phones to be launched and sure as hell I do not want to spend months waiting for the phone to reach the middle east.

And even when it reaches here, It is not available everywhere and I end up have to go from store to store to find it

I eventually caved and bought an iPhone which I hate but what other choice do I have? If Microsoft does not want to step up and finish what they started, then to hell with them.
    GMC262, dlalonde and libra89 like this.
    03-17-2016 04:59 AM
    You can pin any Page to your start screen and most of them work better than the APP, Facebook is one of them, you might not get a live tile but I can live with that. I just cant do Android on my phone it bogs down after a while and just feels cluttered and all that bloatware you can't get rid of. I'm more diapointed in the choice of Windows phones.
    Problem with web pages is you usually have to log in every time you go. And, the Edge browser is really bad.

I've had Windows Phones since WP 7. They really need to clean up w10m and get more big name apps, or I'm gone. Samsung, LG, Googles Nexus line and Motorola are making really good phones. That I would take over a w10m phone.
    Only reason I've stayed with MS is because no matter how long you own a WP, it never started to lag or needed reset (restarted). Android's usually always do, and I can't stand Apple.

w10m is turning into a crappy Android phone. laggy apps, Garbage browser, needs rebooted often, and sometimes just reboots by itself. Not to mention an all plastic flagship that cost over $600.
    03-17-2016 05:32 AM
    As some replied already, it all depends. At the end of the day, it all goes back to general availability. The fact is that everyone will want THEIR favorite app on the platform they use. We could name you a few like Snapchat, the Google apps, a proper Instagram app while it was still fashionable, newspapers, banking and so one. But no matter what people want, the one thing they have in common is that it's most likely they will not find what they want in the Windows Store. It all boils down to that, general availability on any app people could need.
    libra89 likes this.
    03-17-2016 07:10 AM
    I'm really happy of the way this thread is going! I will be so bold as to add a statement directed at Microsoft even if they're not going to read it. This is just what I would like to tell them.

Dear Microsoft,

Windows 10 Mobile is awesome. Your services are getting better and better and you have a great opportunity to beat Google Apps with your own genuine original Office Web Apps. You've been trying to get into the mobile game for the past 6 years and you were already late. Your competitors are way ahead of you. But Windows 10 Mobile, although it needs polishing off, has the potential to not only surpass your competition, but actually make people adopt your platform.

The key is apps. Get app devs on board. Deal with the companies that won't make apps for your platform. You're a multi-billion dollar company! You can do it.

You have a dedicated fanbase. Don't turn your back on us and make this fanbase grow!

Yes I know that it sounds a bit dramatic but I don't care
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-17-2016 07:16 AM
    MSFT can't even get Facebook to write an official app for W10M. They had to write there own since no mobile platform can exist in 2016 without a FB app.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    03-17-2016 07:24 AM
    Usually snapchat(though adults over 25 saying they need this app, usually make me chuckle)

Certain high profile games such as clash of clans I think it's called and a few others.

Then there is bank apps or home automation apps.

And sadly, google apps. When I saw google screwed over windows users repeatedly I made sure to leave google apps alone personally.

In fact it seems that you would just use the native experience of the OS. I know not feasible for some fun but when I used android I used google services, got smart and moved to windows and now use Microsoft services and if I used apple I'd want to keep it first party and use their services.

The app gap doesn't bother me because one, windows phone serves my needs and if I feel the need to follow a trend I have this lame android tablet that I can sir in bed with and voila, it negates the need to change my OS experience. I just extended it by unfortunately being slightly more agnostic (or tainted it as I say) lol.
    Having a separate tablet tablet certainly makes the app gap more bearable. In fact it's currently the only way I can use my Misfit activity tracker. I use it with my iPad. This works because it's not something I need to have continuously synced.

It would be different though if it was a smart watch which does due to notifications. Thankfully I don't currently see the need for a smart watch as it's overkill for my purposes, but who knows in the future? Plus, of course, it's not just my needs that I need to think about.
    03-17-2016 07:42 AM
    Having bought and jumped into android for the 1st time via nexus 6p I've found that having apps for banking, home, work and social invaluable. I still have a icon and 735 but honestly lately their not getting used much except to play with.
    I love WM but damn android has made my mobile experience so much easier through apps. MS really does need to address this and fast to draw a new user base and satisfy current users.
    N_LaRUE and libra89 like this.
    03-17-2016 07:59 AM
246 12345 ...