Things missing vs other platforms that keeps me from coming back

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm a former WP enthusiast. I was very active here from March 2013 to February 2015 when I left WP for Android. I tried to come back last July but left again 4 months later.

I had grown extremely tired of the app situation. Everytime a new app comes out, it's not available for us on WP/WM10. That becomes quite frustrating. And I'm not even talking about the whole Google situation as when I'm on WP I don't use Google services. I'm not talking either about the awesome 3rd party apps that exist sometimes. I'm talking about basic stuff like a proper LinkedIn app, regularly updated Facebook/Twitter apps. Banking and newspaper apps.

Furthermore, how many popular services are dropping the platform? Even if I don't use those services (like Spotify for example) that makes me afraid to invest $300+ on a phone that risks either becoming irrelevant or simply frustrating because I can't get the things I want. There's just too many concessions to be made.

I'm sure I'm not the only one. So I thought I'd make this thread knowing that some people from Microsoft roam around here sometimes. I know some of my list do not concern MS directly. But they know how to pull strings. Also, I know some of the things I list are coming (like Instagram and Facebook). But it's a complete list.

To me, this is what would be necessary to go back to WM10

- Regularly updated Facebook app
- Regularly update Twitter app
- Proper Instagram app
- Proper LinkedIn app (the one we have dates of WP8)
- Sending emails from aliases in the Outlook app

Anyone else want to add to this?

Oh and I've been a member of this forum for 3 years. I know how some will want to react and treat me like a spoilt brat that should just remain with Android and shut up. I would ask those people to please refrain from answering. I want constructive comments. The point of this is just to create a list of things that keeps non-WP/WM10 users from coming to the platform in order to maybe make MS do something about it. Because I feel like they're passive and have been in the last 2 years.

I miss WP... I want back in... but I'm done making all the efforts...

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
So far I'm not aware of any app that I want that is missing from windows 10 mobile. 6tag works great for me and I've never used any facebook app as that is a huge data hog (think 40-50MB per day compared with 2-4MB using UC browser and images disabled when necessary)

I do have a gripe about panorama and photosynth apps as they don't utilise the great imaging capabilities of my lumia 1020. Case in point: a panorama image would be 4MB while a normal image from my phone would be 12MB. Does that make sense?

As long as word flow still works, lumia camera still works, 6tag, UC browser then I have no issues whatsoever

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I understand you on this. Like you, I believe that it is playing with fire to drop a lot of money for a phone that doesn't even have good enough apps that I use on a regular basis.

The quality of some apps I use on a regular enough basis, and of course what is lacking altogether. For me, the OverDrive and Kindle apps both need an update because they both suck, especially OverDrive. Hoopla needs to get on the platform, and MLB At Bat needs to return. Out of those four, Kindle probably isn't as important for me but the others are. I dealt with never having Hoopla on Windows Phone, but I can't deal with no At Bat app and a subpar OverDrive app.

Cruachan 11

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Spotify aren't dropping WM apparently.

Spotify confirms it's not ditching Windows Phone after all- The Inquirer

Agree that the LinkedIn and Kindle apps need updating though. As for banking, almost all of the major UK banks have apps of some sort, including mine, so not an issue for me.

The app gap isn't really there for me, as it's not really how I use my phone. Nonetheless I have emailed a few companies or filled out surveys and suggested a universal app and some have responded saying it's in the works, or if they get enough requests they'll do it.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm happy I'm not alone. I was a bit afraid to get rocks thrown with this thread.

I'm also happy for Spotify!

Last year, I asked a major newspaper that I read a lot if I could make an app for WP. I said that, unless they wanted me to, I would make it free and ad-free and would not make a profit from it and would write clearly that it's not affiliated with them. They declined and they refuse to make one themselves. They don't even have a responsive or mobile friendly website.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
You can pin any Page to your start screen and most of them work better than the APP, Facebook is one of them, you might not get a live tile but I can live with that. I just cant do Android on my phone it bogs down after a while and just feels cluttered and all that bloatware you can't get rid of. I'm more diapointed in the choice of Windows phones.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I never noticed LinkedIn had a mobile website. That's interesting. The Live Tile is not that important (I'm on Android right now so I don't even have that luxury) but notifications are a bit more important.

My Android phone has no bloatware. Most OEM do that but not Nexus' or Moto. I have the latter. But I prefer a whoooooooooooooooooole lot the WP interface.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else want to add to this?
Great thread!

As a staffer here I always appreciate understanding and intelligence when discussions about competing platforms arise.
I have never understood the blind attitude toward the choices people have made.
To me as an old timer it's simply a choice.

Windows phone is what it is :(
Its an OS with great potential yet it's feet are covered in concrete.
I use it for fun and to keep abreast as an older geek with time on my hands.

Windows is fun to play with because it's always an adventure to find a workaround or hope for an update.
When a need for a certain function becomes important there's just no avoiding the fact that WP may not be there for the user.
I somewhat was forced to Android for meat and potatoes because a need for home automation/security was vital for us.

We've given Windows phones away (or handed down) as gifts to older people around us that needed a smartphone mainly because of the low cost.
I know of a number of other users on here that have done this also (i.e; Hoosierdaddy and Scienceguylabs and a cast of thousands we know who you are)
It would never do damage to propel the OS with an act of kindness would it?

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Great thread!

As a staffer here I always appreciate understanding and intelligence when discussions about competing platforms arise.
I have never understood the blind attitude toward the choices people have made.
To me as an old timer it's simply a choice.

Thanks! :wink:

I've been wanting to do a thread like this for a while but I couldn't figure out where. My tweets about these issues to MS people have never been answered. But I know I'm not the only one here that has love for the platform whilst having needs it cannot fulfill. I do like Android and even iOS but I prefer WM10. If I had a real choice, I'd go with WM without a doubt.

Windows phone is what it is :(
Its an OS with great potential yet it's feet are covered in concrete.
I use it for fun and to keep abreast as an older geek with time on my hands.

Windows is fun to play with because it's always an adventure to find a workaround or hope for an update.
When a need for a certain function becomes important there's just no avoiding the fact that WP may not be there for the user.
I somewhat was forced to Android for meat and potatoes because a need for home automation/security was vital for us.

We've given Windows phones away (or handed down) as gifts to older people around us that needed a smartphone mainly because of the low cost.
I know of a number of other users on here that have done this also (i.e; Hoosierdaddy and Scienceguylabs and a cast of thousands we know who you are)
It would never do damage to propel the OS with an act of kindness would it?

That's exactly what I mean. The OS itself is, in my eye, the best out there and the most entertaining (with the design and live tiles). But when you use it for work for example, you need it as a tool. You can have a great swiss knife with a saw on it and all, but when it's a power saw you need, it won't get you anywhere.

I work in web and technologies. I need to have tools that are the most popular so I can relate to my clients. If only these tools would be available on WP, then I'd be on board.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You know, there's a comment that drives me more nuts than anything I've read on this forum, it goes something like this:

"I have all the apps I want and I'm happy. Don't see what the fuss is all about"

This irritates me more than anything. That's not the point. I'm glad 'you're happy' but I don't really care. Call it personal opinion if you want but you're being happy isn't brining more people the platform nor helping the situation. If W10M is going to go anywhere it needs to be liked by more than some small group going 'we're happy like this'.

Let's face it, W10M users are a small group comparatively, which is why there's an app issue in the first place. Regardless of the image problem that MS has. Let's ignore the W10 universal thing at the moment as that hasn't been proven to be a successful project yet.

What I agree totally with the OP is this. Regardless how nice W10M is looks, it doesn't make up for it with the lack of things. Ever since I've been using Android I haven't been bothered by the idea of not having an app available or functionality available. There's no inconvenience. This is what people don't seem to get on W10M for some reason.

Sure I know there's mobile sites but some are not that good and others can be limited so apps are better for the most part until everyone catches up on the idea of good mobile sites.

It's about choice, for some reason, choice seems to be a problem for some people on W10M. I like choice. I like options. This is what is lacking and keeps me from coming back to W10M. Until that changes I'm quite happy to stay on Android.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
You are definitely not alone. I bought a Lumia 900 on launch day and stayed with WP until it became obvious that there wouldn't be any WP flagships for a while. I spent a year with a Note 4 and iPhone 6+ and then got a Note 5 when it was released. About 6 weeks ago I decided to give W10M a try so I bought a 950, then a 1520 and also a M8. Today I am buying a iPhone 6s Plus and selling the 1520 and M8 (the 950 is already gone). Windows 10 Mobile and the available hardware to run it just isn't as good as iOS or Android. It's just as simple as that.

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I use a phone at a more basic level, so the app shortage isn't an issue for me. But I do hope that once universal apps become more common, the shortage won't be an issue. The apps will be there for the PC due to market share, and should be easily ported from there to the WM10 phones.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
One statement on the app gap. I am not denying it is real, but I bet 95% of people only use basic apps 95% of the time: calendar, alarm, phone, messaging, email, browser, maps, weather, news, and camera would cover most of what I see being done on phones every day. Heck, if we had to most of us could exist just fine with nothing on a phone but the ability to make calls, texts, and emails--I bet that covers at least 75% of all smartphone usage I see.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
If you're having a discussion (re OP) where they left WP/W10M because of an app gap or other reason. Where does someone coming along in the discussion saying 'well I'm happy I have all I want', bring to the discussion? In what way does that add anything? That was my point from the first post and something I'm trying to get across. I'm not saying people can't say this or shouldn't be happy, what I'm asking is what does that mean for the person asking the question? What value does it bring? In what way does that statement help them in anyway? A lot of time that's all I see in discussion similar to this one, just that statement. Really useful isn't it?
Well what does saying "I am not happy aswell" contribute to the discussion and to the person's question?

emperor_skull

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Well for me wp lacks better smartwatch support, not everyone likes bands or is even a fitness person, like me am not in that fitness stuff, and another thing the band isn't even available here in my country, to start with, the other smartwatches that I see and can buy( not that pricey) don't support wp, but they support android and iOS, so it will really really go a long way if wp supported more smartwatches

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
So I was living with the "app gap" and it didn't bother me too much. I never considered myself an app guy. I was able to generally find a work around. I just wanted to surf the web and take pics of my kids so it worked for me.

What started my disenchantment with Windows Mobile wasn't the OS. I LOVE the OS. What was getting to me was the lack of Google Services(especially Chrome), poor build quality of the Lumias(I had 3 crater on me), Lack of phone choice, and not so much the app gap but the gap in quality. Even MS' apps, I'm looking at you Onedrive, weren't/aren't comparable to other OS counterparts.

I was still willing to stick it out but I was finally forced to jump platforms because I got a new job and now I get absolutely zero reception so I needed wifi calling.

I flirted with iOS and Android and eventually settled on Android. Now I'm starting to see how nice it can be to have apps. For some people it doesn't matter and to each there own, but man, it's rather convenient to set my house alarm from my phone when I'm already in bed and don't want to roll my lazy bones half a foot to set the alarm. It's also nice to be able to check my bank account, or to sync Chrome tabs. Plus I think the overall app quality is better.

So for now I'm on Android, waiting, neh, hoping for the day when MS gets serious about the platform so I can come back like the Prodigal Son.

Truth be told, I'd go out right now and buy a 950xl if Tmobile were to put wifi calling on the 950's.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
My wife had a pop up scare on her new android phone while on Facebook last week. She jumped back to an iphone so quick it made my head spin. When the bad arse hackers come charging in, I'm pretty sure they will be going hard at the 2 big players. I think I will just hang out with a Windows phone and just see how it all shakes out.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
One statement on the app gap. I am not denying it is real, but I bet 95% of people only use basic apps 95% of the time: calendar, alarm, phone, messaging, email, browser, maps, weather, news, and camera would cover most of what I see being done on phones every day. Heck, if we had to most of us could exist just fine with nothing on a phone but the ability to make calls, texts, and emails--I bet that covers at least 75% of all smartphone usage I see.

Although I find your estimation a bit high, that may be true but it's not the point. The point of it is to have availablity. The ones who are not using WM10 because of the app gap are not the ones who use basic stuff. We're talking about the people who use Twitter and Facebook and are used to having the apps behave at least like the website does. Snapchatters who are more and more present, individuals or companies, but can't get an app on WM10. People who want to do live streaming but can't use either Periscope or Meerkat. People who are users, not even power users, of Google apps. People who don't want to pay for a proper app for YouTube, Instagram or Vine. People who use their bank apps to deposit checks with a picture that cannot be done on a web app. And so on. That's what's missing. That's the gap that keeps them at bay. That's why keeps users like me who love the platform from using it. Seeing a new app coming out and knowing that you can get it vs having to wait for it to eventually be made for the platform we use or have to rely on a third party. That's what needs to be solved. :smile:

So I was living with the "app gap" and it didn't bother me too much. I never considered myself an app guy. I was able to generally find a work around. I just wanted to surf the web and take pics of my kids so it worked for me.

What started my disenchantment with Windows Mobile wasn't the OS. I LOVE the OS. What was getting to me was the lack of Google Services(especially Chrome), poor build quality of the Lumias(I had 3 crater on me), Lack of phone choice, and not so much the app gap but the gap in quality. Even MS' apps, I'm looking at you Onedrive, weren't/aren't comparable to other OS counterparts.

I was still willing to stick it out but I was finally forced to jump platforms because I got a new job and now I get absolutely zero reception so I needed wifi calling.

I flirted with iOS and Android and eventually settled on Android. Now I'm starting to see how nice it can be to have apps. For some people it doesn't matter and to each there own, but man, it's rather convenient to set my house alarm from my phone when I'm already in bed and don't want to roll my lazy bones half a foot to set the alarm. It's also nice to be able to check my bank account, or to sync Chrome tabs. Plus I think the overall app quality is better.

So for now I'm on Android, waiting, neh, hoping for the day when MS gets serious about the platform so I can come back like the Prodigal Son.

Truth be told, I'd go out right now and buy a 950xl if Tmobile were to put wifi calling on the 950's.

Exactly! You're just like me. I use my phone for work. I need my client/teammates apps and services to be available in my phone. I don't want to have to keep saying "Oh I'm sorry I'm on a Windows Phone we'll have to find another way to go".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99