Things missing vs other platforms that keeps me from coming back

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
You know, there's a comment that drives me more nuts than anything I've read on this forum, it goes something like this:

"I have all the apps I want and I'm happy. Don't see what the fuss is all about"

I'm OK with the first part, but the second part is too "me focused/self-centered/n=1". If it read "I have all the apps I want and I'm happy. But I understand that some people are missing apps they consider critical." I'd be a lot more understanding.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I just jumped from W10M to an iPhone 6s Plus a few hours ago. This is my take on the app gap. If you haven't experienced the App Store on a brand new iPhone in 2016 you don't know what you're talking about. It's easy to dismiss the lack of apps when you've been on WP or W10M for a while. You don't realize what you're missing. Whether you use a few apps or like to explore and try many, the iOS App store is so far ahead of the Windows App Store it's a cryin' shame. A cryin' shame I tell ya!!!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Ok, so I just jumped from W10M to an iPhone 6s Plus a few hours ago. This is my take on the app gap. If you haven't experienced the App Store on a brand new iPhone in 2016 you don't know what you're talking about. It's easy to dismiss the lack of apps when you've been on WP or W10M for a while. You don't realize what you're missing. Whether you use a few apps or like to explore and try many, the iOS App store is so far ahead of the Windows App Store it's a cryin' shame. A cryin' shame I tell ya!!!

It's kind of overwhelming actually but I agree with you on a number of apps, especially ones that I use daily.

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Exactly! You're just like me. I use my phone for work. I need my client/teammates apps and services to be available in my phone. I don't want to have to keep saying "Oh I'm sorry I'm on a Windows Phone we'll have to find another way to go".

Same here. I didn't abandon my Lumia 640, but I did need to start bringing my old Android phone with me to work because of a missing app (GeoJot+ in case anyone's wondering). It's kind of a hassle actually. It's funny. I thought I was going to be able to store my old Android phone away, but because of the limitations of Windows Phone, I think I've been using it just as much. Not having Google Services on it is killing it for me, to be honest.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

I wouldn't generalize as some do come from other platforms. But that's pretty much how I felt when I came back to Android. It felt like "Ahh finally I have all the apps I need and then some!" What I'm going to say may sound intense since it's only a phone, but I felt free. Free from having to settle and compromise.

Same here. I didn't abandon my Lumia 640, but I did need to start bringing my old Android phone with me to work because of a missing app (GeoJot+ in case anyone's wondering). It's kind of a hassle actually. It's funny. I thought I was going to be able to store my old Android phone away, but because of the limitations of Windows Phone, I think I've been using it just as much. Not having Google Services on it is killing it for me, to be honest.

For me it wasn't a big deal but one cannot ignore that for a whole lot of people it's a problem. Google is everywhere in a lot of people's live, sometimes by choices, sometimes not. But the fact that Google is ignoring WM10 is a problem. That's the biggest "egg or chicken" example. Google would get on board if there was money to be made. The general belief is that they don't care for WM users and their war with MS is why they don't make apps. But truth be told Google doesn't care for WM users any less than iOS or Android users. Their heart is with the money. If they knew that it was financially profitable to make apps for WM, no matter their gripes with Microsoft, they would make apps for the platform, no doubt about that. But unless people get on board they won't. And until they make those apps, people won't get on board.

The solution I think is for MS to try to get companies on board and show that they'll make it without Google. If that's seems logical, Google will jump in. With their converter for iOS apps, it's a great start (case in point: Instagram). So I'm hoping for the best.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm a big Google Now fan and it seems to work well on iOS. I'm not a big Google+ user but I do have a fairly well developed account and it's nice to have a very good app if I do want to use it. I'm not using it but from what I've read the outlook app for iOS is pretty awesome. Bottom line, there are so many options and choices on iOS and Android and very few on W10M. Life it too short to settle. Ain't nobody got time for that!!!

cjslman

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure that there are WP/W10M users that don't feel the app gap (for whatever reason you like) and I'm sure that there are users that feel that they do need more apps on the WP/W10M platform. I have both Android and WP and I do feel the app gap. I hope that the recent participation of 3rd party smartphone makers (like HP) will encourage sw makers to take a deeper look/interest at the MS mobile platform.

GF Wong

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Coming from Symbian, when I first transitioned to WP8 on my Lumia 920, there was certainly a lot of shortcomings on WP then. There was no USB OTG which Symbian has, there was not file explorer, and the list goes on. But somehow I got used to it and come up with other turnarounds. We humans adapt fast. And four years since then I get to see some features coming back in W10M. From here, it seems to me that WP/W10M development in basic functionality is rather slow. Sure it may other niche features but basic features that user like me used to have on Symbian came back rather slow. And during this period, Android and iOS had started to catch up by giving basic features that many users are crying for. But MS has been rather slow. That could be why users left after trying WP and not many from other platform wants to try out WP after hearing so many shortcomings from others and also from some biased tech review websites.

This could have made the user growth slow or stagnant. With that, apps developers are reluctant to build apps for WP8. And with not many apps, many more users jumped ship. It's the whole chicken and egg cycle. People do not want to use WP because of the app gap. Developers do not want to build apps because there is not enough users. Then come W10. Universal app platform is a good idea. Creating more user base because apps can be used on W10 and W10M. But does that mean developers have to rewrite the app? If user base has been low for all this while, it's hard to get them to re-write, I guess. Yes, MS can promise the whole W10 will have a lot of users thing but, are developers keen? Project Islandwood is a good idea but what would be the motivation factor for an iOS app developer to create app for W10M. Yes, it might be easier because of Islandwood but what would they get other than that? How is MS attracting them?

As a user myself, I will promote W10 to families and friends but how much can a small fry like me do to bring up the market share? And with a majority if tech websites labeling WP/W10M a dying platform.... Are they just being biased, or are they not familiar enough with the whole WP/W10M as they themselves haven't used WP? Or are they speaking the truth?

I like WP/W10M. Having a secondary Android phone (Asus), WP is cleaner than Android. Widgets could not compare to live tiles. Also, when using Android, I always have this fear that there could be spyware, viruses or hackers targeting my credit cards, banking information when I am performing online transactions, yes even through banking apps. But I feel secure when WP web version. It could just be me being paranoid but I feel that Android and iOS are major targets for the scammers and hackers because of their large user base.

The thing I love the most about my Lumias are the camera. I don't have fancy a DSLR and my current 950XL is my primary camera for taking pictures and videos of my kids. Actually my Nokia N8, 808, Lumi 920, 1520 used to be my trusted primary cameras. They created wonderful memories for me.

Okay. Enough of the long writings. I like WP/W10M. There are app gaps that I wished to be filled but by saying "I can live with it" it's me adapting or bending myself to use WP/W10M because of the clean, somewhat secure platform and to be able to get the best camera. So it all depends on our priorities I guess. :). If those missing apps are really important/cruial/mission-critical to you for personal or work reasons, then it might be wiser to switch to Android or iOS.

Haha, i really miss a local shopping app that I have on my Android but not on W10M. Thru the app I can get discounts but using the web version on W10M, I don't get discount :-(

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
You know, there's a comment that drives me more nuts than anything I've read on this forum, it goes something like this:

"I have all the apps I want and I'm happy. Don't see what the fuss is all about"

This irritates me more than anything. That's not the point. I'm glad 'you're happy' but I don't really care. Call it personal opinion if you want but you're being happy isn't brining more people the platform nor helping the situation. If W10M is going to go anywhere it needs to be liked by more than some small group going 'we're happy like this'.

Let's face it, W10M users are a small group comparatively, which is why there's an app issue in the first place. Regardless of the image problem that MS has. Let's ignore the W10 universal thing at the moment as that hasn't been proven to be a successful project yet.

What I agree totally with the OP is this. Regardless how nice W10M is looks, it doesn't make up for it with the lack of things. Ever since I've been using Android I haven't been bothered by the idea of not having an app available or functionality available. There's no inconvenience. This is what people don't seem to get on W10M for some reason.

Sure I know there's mobile sites but some are not that good and others can be limited so apps are better for the most part until everyone catches up on the idea of good mobile sites.

It's about choice, for some reason, choice seems to be a problem for some people on W10M. I like choice. I like options. This is what is lacking and keeps me from coming back to W10M. Until that changes I'm quite happy to stay on Android.

If I have to summarize your post in a word, it would be CONVENIENCE. That feeling that you don't need to worry about "Oh is it compatible with my device?" is amazing. I was really close to getting an Iphone 6s+ and trade in my 950XL but the Iphone was just too expensive for me.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If I have to summarize your post in a word, it would be CONVENIENCE. That feeling that you don't need to worry about "Oh is it compatible with my device?" is amazing. I was really close to getting an Iphone 6s+ and trade in my 950XL but the Iphone was just too expensive for me.
Convenience really is a thing once one has it.

I had no idea how convenient Android Pay was until I actually used it. That is something I would miss if I were to get a 950XL.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

This irritates me more than anything. That's not the point. I'm glad 'you're happy' but I don't really care. Call it personal opinion if you want but you're being happy isn't brining more people the platform nor helping the situation. If W10M is going to go anywhere it needs to be liked by more than some small group going 'we're happy like this'.

You do realize this is no different than whines or complaints. In fact, people who are so miserable with windows 10 but refuse to switch or have switch but still bash the OS, are the very same ones who usually are attacking users who say the app gap doesn't bother them.

In this case of the app gap, at the moment there is nothing to be done. I'm glad Astoria was cancelled.

What Microsoft should be focusing on is less of the app gap, since that is on developers and more of refining the OS and hardware experience. Control what they can, fix what they should. It does seem like Microsoft handling of windows 10 and Lumia is precisely what sped up it's present state. The app gap itself has always been an issue but the state of the OS seemed to accelerate things.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Well what does saying "I am not happy aswell" contribute to the discussion and to the person's question?

Never said I was unhappy either. It should be fine for people to say they're unhappy though. This forum is littered with that statement however.

Discussion is what is important. Not whether you're happy or not. To add value or ideas to discussions you need to be able to see things from various points of view. Just making statements either way, happy or unhappy doesn't add value to a discussion.

Suggesting things are missing and this could be a block to someone either coming to W10M or returning is not 'unhappy' just someone not prepared to sacrifice their current convenience they have with the ecosystem they're used to. For some people it's not a big deal to move as they're not a full smartphone user, in other words, their life is not fully linked to their phones, for others the idea of losing something they have is simply not worth it.

What that 'something' is can be anything from apps, to compatibility, to functionality. There's many things that can prevent someone from wanting to join/return to the W10M ecosystem.

What W10M has going for it and has had going for it from the beginning is the promise of something great. However, the promise is taking far longer than some people want to wait for. That's the issue at the moment.

I'd be happy to return to W10M when I feel I won't be missing anything. At this point in time, that's unlikely to happen within the next year or so.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You do realize this is no different than whines or complaints. In fact, people who are so miserable with windows 10 but refuse to switch or have switch but still bash the OS, are the very same ones who usually are attacking users who say the app gap doesn't bother them.

In this case of the app gap, at the moment there is nothing to be done. I'm glad Astoria was cancelled.

What Microsoft should be focusing on is less of the app gap, since that is on developers and more of refining the OS and hardware experience. Control what they can, fix what they should. It does seem like Microsoft handling of windows 10 and Lumia is precisely what sped up it's present state. The app gap itself has always been an issue but the state of the OS seemed to accelerate things.

I have no bone to pick with W10M. I'm not using nor am I bashing it. It's simply not for me currently.

I know you're a big fan of W10M so I'm not keen to get into any arguments with you or anyone else for that matter.

My point was and I'll say this simply, is about discussion. To have a discussion you need to look beyond your point of view. Just making statements saying 'I'm happy' which I've seen on many many threads, is not a point of discussion. Just a personal statement. That's all my beef was about.

Nothing more.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Okay, the thing about apps is some need a lot while others need a few. Some do not mind missing a feature while others feel really stressed when certain features are missing.
Some don't know there is an app while others don't care an app exists for a certain function. Others absolutely need it and will move platform to get that particular app.

I recently asked my friend who's been using a lumia 620 why she moved to HTC and android. Her phone got stolen so she got a new one and she wanted a new experience, fresh and simple. Apps weren't the reason why she moved, but just trying something new. Do I expect her to come back to windows? Not in the next 3 years since that's the average time it takes for the average person to get a new phone.

When I say I'm satisfied with the apps I have, I meant there aren't any that I need that I don't have. I am a big fan of the lumia camera and will not consider any other OS just because of this one app. Manual controls are the best feature coupled with the 41MP camera. I really don't care if apps for paying fees or bills is there or not, apps for baking, shopping etc are there or not. I rarely do any of that and it is always in cash in a store. I have bought one thing only online in the last 5 years.

I avoid apps that depend on internet connectivity since that is always lacking

If I knew that for example, word flow wasn't available anymore on windows but available on android, I might consider a possibility of moving, But thankfully word flow is for windows, lumia camera is for windows, nokia creative studio, lumia creative studio, proshot, 6tag are for windows and I have no reason a present to move. Even if my phone gets stolen, I'll track it down and get it back because it's a one in a kind

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Okay, the thing about apps is some need a lot while others need a few. Some do not mind missing a feature while others feel really stressed when certain features are missing.
Some don't know there is an app while others don't care an app exists for a certain function. Others absolutely need it and will move platform to get that particular app.

I recently asked my friend who's been using a lumia 620 why she moved to HTC and android. Her phone got stolen so she got a new one and she wanted a new experience, fresh and simple. Apps weren't the reason why she moved, but just trying something new. Do I expect her to come back to windows? Not in the next 3 years since that's the average time it takes for the average person to get a new phone.

When I say I'm satisfied with the apps I have, I meant there aren't any that I need that I don't have. I am a big fan of the lumia camera and will not consider any other OS just because of this one app. Manual controls are the best feature coupled with the 41MP camera. I really don't care if apps for paying fees or bills is there or not, apps for baking, shopping etc are there or not. I rarely do any of that and it is always in cash in a store. I have bought one thing only online in the last 5 years.

I avoid apps that depend on internet connectivity since that is always lacking

If I knew that for example, word flow wasn't available anymore on windows but available on android, I might consider a possibility of moving, But thankfully word flow is for windows, lumia camera is for windows, nokia creative studio, lumia creative studio, proshot, 6tag are for windows and I have no reason a present to move. Even if my phone gets stolen, I'll track it down and get it back because it's a one in a kind

As you point out, everyone is different. :)

Change is good though. Helps you realise what you like, what you don't like and what you feel may be missing. That's one of the reasons I changed platform as well. It wasn't about dislike or being unhappy. It was just to see what else there was.

I did have a bit of a lemon of a WP however but I still used it for two years but I still enjoyed my experience regardless of the pain.

Last edited:

Zebbie

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
There use to be good apps on WP but they're all gone and don't understand way because it where Nokia alias Lumia apps and MS did buy that part.

Most i miss Movie trailers,Lumia Camera and Lumia Panorama...and now the Here suit is gone also and no maps is not as good.

A few years ago the lumia apps and Here suit was a selling point now it's gone for WP and IOS and Android still have it...that's right in the face.

Hell, i did buy a 950 with a great camera but i have no panorama...can you imagine that anno 2016 and MS keeps very quiet about the promised panorama function.

I'm an Insider and big WP fan but i have my limits...i give it 6 months and if MS doesn't fix this all i'm gone too like many others.

celticmagick

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I just don't get this obsession with regular updates. Is it a thrill for the younger generations to see that notification? There's a huge difference between an app that needs attention and one that gets updated constantly. Not all updates are good - signifies that there were a lot of loose ends that needed to be addressed before being released. Keeping the app up to date (new features) is another issue all together.

Anyway... Facebook is working on an official universal app for Windows 10 - currently in closed beta. I would suspect that this app would be maintained with current features (they've already added the new mood options from what I've seen posted) and should be more on par with the other OS versions.

I feel that Twitter on Windows 10 needs a universal app to bring both mobile and desktop apps on the same page.

Instagram recently ported their iOS app over to Windows 10 and is currently available while in beta.

As Windows 10 gains momentum you will see more development for the OS. Developers will hopefully take advantage of the universal aspect and make these apps available on mobile as well. I believe that you will see more and more major companies and developers making apps for Windows 10 in the very near future.

EDIT: Twitter just updated their app today for mobile, making it more like the desktop. It's also interesting how the apps the OP inquired about are coming out as official apps but he doesn't seem to care..

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I just don't get this obsession with regular updates. Is it a thrill for the younger generations to see that notification? There's a huge difference between an app that needs attention and one that gets updated constantly. Not all updates are good - signifies that there were a lot of loose ends that needed to be addressed before being released. Keeping the app up to date (new features) is another issue all together.

I guess you must not use any apps that would be great with an update. Keeping the app up to date is the same thing as actually updating the app. An example is what Twitter added with Moments. In time, updates came out with Android, and iOS. That was a new feature so it was added.

Also, if there's an issue of crashing or having things break in the app, why would I not want an update? A book app I use everyday crashes on Windows Phone. It also fails to sync with other devices. On iOS, the same app was updated 2 times in the same month, to address issues with saving information. As far as I am concerned, updates are good.

I can agree that sometimes updates aren't as needed, but it's a LOT better to have a choice over not having one at all. The Waze app that everyone seems to talk about, used to be updated. Now that it isn't, I hear so many varied reports but only for the WM/WP version.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Adding to what libra mentions above:

App updates mean the developer is holding up their end of the deal also.
Updates in good faith are nurturing for the OS they support.

Regular updates are important for solidarity as I see it.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
If your life revolves around Google and its services you are better off with Android. If you live and work where people are mostly on iPhones you might be better off with an iPhone (for example at a college). If you are a person who instead uses a phone mainly as a communication tool and likes to pay less, get a great camera at the price point, and likes simple and smooth operation Windows might be for you. Some people seem to think that a phone OS must be all things to all people. Sure, Microsoft probably would like that to be the case, but it simply isn't. At this point Windows on phones is a niche product and set of services that is appealing to some, but is not in the mainstream. Comparing Android and iOS is like comparing mainstream cars like Ford and Toyota to a niche specialty brand like Mini Cooper. Yes, most people are better off with a Ford or Toyota and you can purchase spare parts everywhere and get them repaired everywhere, but some people will prefer something different like the Cooper even if they will never be mainstream.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea