Things missing vs other platforms that keeps me from coming back

Ixolite

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
App WILL be obsolete. There's no question about that. I'm a web programmer and the way things are going, apps are going to be useless soon enough. Until then it's an important factor to a lot of people. But Web Apps are becoming so powerful that it will definitely happen. For a lot of apps currently on the market, the only advantage to having a proper app is push notifications and even that is coming (go to Facebook or the Web version of Skype on Chrome, it's already happening there). Companies are working for apps to become useless. Imaging the advantages! Just one product to maintain versus 3-4, one place for stats and all their other telemetrics. It's the way of the future. It's just not coming fast enough.

Apps that are just a front for a web-service - probably. Then again, there are advantages to have native apps even for those services - like reduced data transfer or tighter integration with the system and hardware or offline modes.

Also, running and OS (browser) inside of an OS (actual OS) to use an app brings another layer of complexity, that is not always beneficial.

And of course, there are still apps that do not need internet for anything and it would make no sense to have them web only.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
But everyone has different app needs. Just as you feel it's unfair for people to say "I have the apps I need," it's also unfair for people to steer people away from WP because of a particular app they want. It's just like people who keep trying to keep others away from Windows 8. The first thing you have to do is find out what a person's needs are. There will always be some app or another that's missing or not the same from another platform. It's not fair to just make the blanket statement "Windows Phone doesn't have any apps." WP has a lot of apps, and more are being added every day. It's up to an individual to see if it's missing some "must have" app

I was never saying that there was something wrong with being happy with what a person has. But this thread topic is not about someone being happy it's about thoughts on why people don't come to WM. I've seen the statement on other threads which in which it is totally irrelevant to the thread topic. Like this thread for example.

Thing is people feel the need to express this on threads all the time. Doesn't add anything to the discussion. Doesn't provide any insight. Does nothing for the person who started the OP.

That was the point of my post. If you took the time read the rest of the thread you may have realised that.

You'd also realise that, had you read this thread, I've also said pretty much what you have just said. Everyone is different. Everyone has different needs. This is true.

elitewolverine21

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
I was never saying that there was something wrong with being happy with what a person has. But this thread topic is not about someone being happy it's about thoughts on why people don't come to WM. I've seen the statement on other threads which in which it is totally irrelevant to the thread topic. Like this thread for example.

Thing is people feel the need to express this on threads all the time. Doesn't add anything to the discussion. Doesn't provide any insight. Does nothing for the person who started the OP.

That was the point of my post. If you took the time read the rest of the thread you may have realised that.

You'd also realise that, had you read this thread, I've also said pretty much what you have just said. Everyone is different. Everyone has different needs. This is true.

The biggest thing I see, as working in the cell industry, is that the sales people simply don't push it. Plus its hard tocompete whenthere is no tantalizing offers...we offer a buy one get one free S7/Edge...

Plus pushing their own wants on others. I would say half the people walking into my store can get by with a WP, without a single glitch. But no one pushes it but me.

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
But everyone has different app needs. Just as you feel it's unfair for people to say "I have the apps I need," it's also unfair for people to steer people away from WP because of a particular app they want. It's just like people who keep trying to keep others away from Windows 8. The first thing you have to do is find out what a person's needs are. There will always be some app or another that's missing or not the same from another platform. It's not fair to just make the blanket statement "Windows Phone doesn't have any apps." WP has a lot of apps, and more are being added every day. It's up to an individual to see if it's missing some "must have" app

Whenever I give anyone advice on buying any computer or phone I always tell them to first consider what programs or aps they plan to use before they buy any hardware. I think this is just so obvious. What good is any piece of hardware if it wont run the software you want or need. What makes Windows the #1 computer OS? It runs more programs than everything else and you can always find a PC in your price range. Also, it was adopted by businesses and people are used to windows. After speaking to most people, my recommendation is for them to get a PC. For me to stay consistent, I cant say the same for windows phone. If people only want the basic apps then Windows phone may be a good choice. For people that want all their devices to work together and they already have a PC, windows phone may be a good choice. For tech junkies, windows phone may be a good choice. But for most people, just like more programs makes a Windows PC a better choice, more phone aps usually makes iPhone or Android a better choice.

Of course this is a logical argument which totally leaves out the sexy/snobby/status needs of people. I know a lot of people who bought an iPhone just to say they have an iPhone. For them its a fashion statement or a matter of status. I think we can all agree MS Windows Phone isn't "fashionable" for most people.

ckeledjian

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Okay, here I go. I've been a Windows Phone fan since the beginning. I understand technology and I could even appreciate the great effort to deliver Windows Mobile 2003. Considering the limitations and high cost of the hardware, Windows Mobile was a great UI for stylus which had a zero learning curve from someone used to Windows. With Windows 7, Microsoft wanted a complete fresh approach, and I understood Metro, it was beautiful and clean, almost like a designer magazine. But people resisted to the new and wanted their menus and more traditional interface back, so we compromised with Windows 10. With the exception of the positioning of the hamburger menu on the place farther to reach with your thumb, I think Windows 10 is a great compromise that maintains the elegance of metro and brings a perfect consistency with the desktop OS. Both IOS and Android also have very often used menus and actions positioned in the top left corner of the phone, so this is not MS fault, is the fault of user criticism and their inability to accept a menu at the bottom right, where it should be in a phone. IOS is elegant and consistent within the phone, but no with its desktop counterpart. Android is neither elegant nor consistent in any way: there are too many colors, there isn't only one accent color, the themes are a disaster with inconsistent background and accent colors, inconsistent structure and positioning of elements. I've tried dozens of themes in Android marshmallow and I like none, they are all just play ugly. One website called the Android UI 'cartoonish' and that's exactly what it is. I can never leave the elegance and consistency of Windows 10. And don't get me started with Live Tiles vs. static icons.
As for the features, once you try other phones you realize that Siri is probably the worst assistant. Search for the 'best Chinese restaurant near me' and Siri will pump to the top 5 star restaurants with only 1 or 2 Yelp reviews. We know that a 5 star with 1 review is suspiciously fraudulent. Any good restaurant will get many reviews. Both Cortana and Google Now understand this and will more to the top a balance of number stars with many reviews. When you ask a math question, or a conversion, both Google and Cortana respond with a calculator to further do more calculation, Siri just gives a text answer. But Google now has no personality, it can't tell a joke, and is not really an assistant like Cortana who can track your packages, flights, get an Uber, track reservations, etc.

Other apps are surprising as well. The Maps application for instance. The IOS version is nice, with 3D cities, smooth scrolling when in driving mode. But the traffic info and UI is lacking and there is no transit info for many cities. Google Maps is more complete with better traffic and transit info, but it has no streetside or 3D maps included, which is surprising since I believe it was Google the first one to have these features. WM10 Maps is very good, with 3D cities, good transit info, traffic info which includes traffic cameras too (!), streetside and works with continuum. But they say is not that good outside the US, and unnervingly, they removed the in-mall maps we enjoyed in previous versions, which would be another feature the competitors lack.
The last issue I'm going to talk is camera. I have the Lumia 950, with 20Mp camera and it is hands down the best camera out there and I have evidence of it in every event where friends take pics with their latest iPhones and Android phones, and when they see my pictures they are wowed at the great color balance, the professional look, and it is my pictures that make it into their Facebook posts. But what happened with the software features? Samsung Galaxy's S7 12MP camera has panorama, 3D and other features that are absent in the 'after Nokia' Lumia phones, and this is just a matter of putting the software in. Even MS's own Photosynth is not available for WM10. WTF?
So, the frustrating part of WM is that it is a great OS, in many ways more brilliantly designed than the others, with an UI consistent with their desktop counterpart, capable of running quicker in lower specs hardware, but it hasn't grabbed attraction from software developers, from hardware manufacturers and it is in many ways ignored by some of MS's own divisions. There is nothing wrong with the OS itself, and what it has been done is in the right direction, but it needs everybody on-board to be complete and take off. Some people are not willing to wait until that happens, but MS doesn't seem to be concerned because MS is MS, they will pour money into the project until it succeeds (aka. Bing, Zune/Groove) and phone users will change their phones in 1 or two years, so they can come back later.
But MS should not act that confident and should cherish more WM10. It is in WM10 where we should get the best of MS and their close partners such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Yelp. Negotiate back that FB integration into People and Pictures apps. Reach out to your former child Expedia to integrate with Cortana to get the best detailed and personalized searches for flights and hotels and even have Cortana book them like a real assistant. Leverage the power of the solid MS APIs to integrate with more partners to bring back the Windows Phone 7 original concept that a phone should NOT be a collection of apps, with users having to open many apps to perform a task, but a phone should be an integrated UI with the purpose of serving you better and quickly while you're on the go. That's the right direction and MS is the only company that works well with others and doesn't try to do it all themselves.

Last edited:

bitfidler57

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to drop Windows Mobile. When I got the 1020 it was clear that we would receive the update to WM10. This is like WMx where x is 7 and below. You can only be told over and over again that there is an upgrade path only to be told NOT THIS TIME so many times it's time to say goodbye.

Sorry Microsoft you've disappointed me far too many times. So when the Band 2 or the phone goes I'll go elsewhere, most likely to Apple.

Their timing was perfect though. I had my daughter getting a 950 today ... only with this news we went out to get an iPhone 6s instead. She's pretty happy.

I'll scrap doing UWA and move onto iOS and Android. Microsoft you lost a developer too today and a staunch advocate. Apps were not the reason I went with the platform.

humanhowever

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to drop Windows Mobile. When I got the 1020 it was clear that we would receive the update to WM10. This is like WMx where x is 7 and below. You can only be told over and over again that there is an upgrade path only to be told NOT THIS TIME so many times it's time to say goodbye.

Sorry Microsoft you've disappointed me far too many times. So when the Band 2 or the phone goes I'll go elsewhere, most likely to Apple.

Their timing was perfect though. I had my daughter getting a 950 today ... only with this news we went out to get an iPhone 6s instead. She's pretty happy.

I'll scrap doing UWA and move onto iOS and Android. Microsoft you lost a developer too today and a staunch advocate. Apps were not the reason I went with the platform.

I have a 1020 too, and passed my upgrade this year so that I could get a windows 10 flagship later this year / next year. Yes, the 950/XL may be good, but I wanted a phone made for Windows, i.e. when Windows 10 was officially released (today). But after hearing Microsoft once again go back on their word, after saying all Windows Phone 8.1 devices would get the Windows 10 update, I'm once again disappointed. I love Windows 10, and the direction it is taking. But like many of my family and friends who I convinced to get Windows Phones, I too don't want to wait.

I don't want to wait to get a phone where I can't join in with what they're doing. And yes, I've never been an app person, but there have been so many instances when out and out with people a need arises, and I have to answer, "Sorry my phone doesn't have that app."

The promise Windows 10 brings is great, but what is a promise? No more than a cloud. It's fulfilment, rain. Microsoft is good at making clouds (no puns intended), but all it does it block out the sun.

giganotosaurus

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site

The reason why 1020 wasn't upgraded is because the drivers were not being delivered by the now defunct Nokia and Qualcomm combo.. Apple has got it easy!!! Anyways go with your choice.. Not wrong at all

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
  • Amazon
  • Comixology - we had it - they cancelled it
  • Here Maps - incredible this gets added to the list really - it's the best turn-by-turn navigation i've used. the fact that it's going says a lot
  • Tap to pay - I've really become hooked on this and try to use it anywhere I can so I don't need to pull out my purse.
  • Google Drive / Google Docs
  • Starbucks
  • Slice
  • Numerous social apps - Pinterest etc.
  • Numerous fashion/shopping apps

anon(8145610)

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Anyone who has not explored Google Play and the iOS app store to comparison shop doesn't know what they're talking about. I've got a half dozen WP devices but an iPhone 6 is my daily driver - WP just doesn't have the apps. And frankly, I depend on my Chase app to notify me everytime there's activity on my account. WP can't do it. I get coffee from Starbucks every day; can't pay for it (and get credit for it ) with WP. And it goes on... Love WP, but the app deficit is killing them.

antremaine

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
I totally agree. I want to keep coming back to windows but the inconvenience of everything android does keeps me in google's camp. The simple task of listening to music with my phone synced to my radio via Bluetooth with my nexus 6p is a seamless, pleasant experience. When my windows phone is synced the same way and i get out of my car to do a run, come back and unpause the music half the time it will disconnect from my radio and take a min or two to reconnect. It's the simple things like that that keep me from committing to windows mobile for my daily driver.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
But Google now <snip> is not really an assistant like Cortana who can track your packages, flights, get an Uber, track reservations, etc.

I more or less agree with your post, except for this. You got them switched! Google Now handles these tasks almost flawlessly. Cortana, while it has these features in theory, often (usually) doesn't actually do it.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I also have to add that I hate when people criticize others who say something works just fine for me. Of course they shouldn't be attacking people who it doesn't work for, but on a lot of Microsoft-related sites, I notice that its almost like a cardinal sin to say something works fine for you. You have this entire collection of I would assume trolls, who label anyone as a Microsoft ****** who isn't constantly complaining about one Microsoft product or another.

And the fact moderation let's it go on is hilarious to me personally lol. But if you 'attack' someone who is not speaking positively of Microsoft, you are in the wrong. Hmm...

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I remember fondly when android was first on the scene and people had to do this or that work around, they felt empowered. Then apps became king. I still remember trying to explain to a pc user why they couldn't use the web to visit a website and why they needed an app instead. Quite the comedy explaining they had to build an entire new system to do something they did online, like say...a bank app.

Of course apps have come a long way, from games, to features that html cant do etc. Working for a carrier about only 30% of the people I deal with absolutely need one ecosystem over another. And even then that would be a maybe. Reading this whole thread, I find that it comes down to one thing, convenience, hit it right on the head. Local store apps etc, those are the little things that make going to WP a work around.

As for your list. Lets think about what your wanting and what is offered. Again Android lovers always talk about the tinkering the 50 apps for one task to choose from. So if WP has this, like 6tag instead of instagram, this is all of a sudden a bad thing in WP, it was 3rd party apps on Android that forced first party apps to step up its game. So I don't see how android gets a pass here and WP doesn't. MS cannot make a dev support a feature, MS cannot make Instagram do anything. So this entire app thing while is in MS court, it is only partially them.

Facebook the beta is great, barely if at all crashes, again just like on Android 'options'
Instagram - 6tag
Twitter - other apps as well just like android
LinkedIn - Website or app
Emails...website allows this

Does WP need work? of course, it needs apps, it needs lots of things. But I am on the side of the only way it gets that is by user input. I rather walk around with 2 phones than rely on android as being my only device, my wife is in information security job number one target device for this is android, and its a billion dollar business, this alone will always delegate android as a second tier device for me no matter how neat the OS gets. I have never gotten a virus on my android, but it is what it is. I rather deal with oddities than dive in for convenience sake, and yes my job requires android for certain tasks.

I don't use Clash of Clans, but damn right I want it, not for me but others. I don't use our local grocer app, but I want it. I want the stores that do make a WP app to advertise it, my mother had no idea walgreens had an app for WP, because they didn't advertise it here.

Such a well-written point. Microsoft has always been the target of double standards. Notice the whole windows 10 security bs and yet google makes it's profit, not off android but off marketing and their user data. Microsoft can do something and be vilified for it. Google and apple will get a slap on the wrist lol. Apple has continoualy insulted their userbase (this is a company who told people they were holding their phone wrong and had to issue out a free bumper because of a hardware issue during attenagate). Microsoft releases a buggy software admittedly and suddenly it's the worse thing ever.

I don't champion windows phone the way android and ios users do.for their platform but the fact That people are happy with two options and nothing more, wanting Microsoft or windows phone to be more like android (they were actually mad that Microsoft abandoned Astoria in favor of the better islandwood which further supports the platforms uwa)....this shows Microsoft problem isn't software, hardware or app gate. Microsoft could very well be doing things perfectly and people will always have something to say or complain about. Because it isn't android or iOS. And frankly I find that ideology more pathetic than users clinging to a 'dead' platform that works for them.

I just need Microsoft to pick a direction and rediscover a focus for their own mobile platform. Windows 10 mobile and PC should have always been an evolved windows phone 8.1/windows 8.1. Not an attempt to appeal to a userbase who in my opinion are the main reason windows 10 mobile is so badly received. Because guess what? Those users abandoned the platform. They wanted Microsoft to be more android like and this is precisely how android was during 1.x-2.x generation. Just saying.

WinCoffee

Banned
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I was little frustrated about twitter app because that one I use a lot! but now they updated it and made it W10 version! it is amazing!!! ^^ I myself don't use Instragram. All I want is official Youtube app! ^^ I will still stay with W10M because it is so amazing OS! I love #Tileart app it makes my start screen more fun! ^^

btw if you want to follow me on twitter: @TripaProducer

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
We are at the point where if MS REALLY wants to support WP they need to open the check book and literally pay off devs to put apps on WP. Every attempt MS has made to make it easier for devs has not worked. This is not going to happen in an organic way. MS needs to jumpstart it.

If MS wants WP to succeed open the check book, each month go through the top 50 apps on IOS and Android and pay off the developers to port the app to WP. After a year or so of doing this the APP library should be big enough to sustain itself

MS also need to actually Speak up and talk about WP like they actually want it to succeed. They are way to quite about a platform teetering on failure.

I love the WP interface, features and hardware I have a Lumia 950 now after having a Lumia 920 for 3 years that replaced an LG WP7 phone so I've been using WP since it was released.

MS just needs to pony up and pay up to build the app library.

Last edited:

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
anyone who has not explored google play and the ios app store to comparison shop doesn't know what they're talking about. I've got a half dozen wp devices but an iphone 6 is my daily driver - wp just doesn't have the apps. And frankly, i depend on my chase app to notify me everytime there's activity on my account. Wp can't do it. I get coffee from starbucks every day; can't pay for it (and get credit for it ) with wp. And it goes on... Love wp, but the app deficit is killing them.

truth!!!

LewisDale

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
It is not just one thing, for me it is a combination of many things that keeps me off WP.
  1. Lack of good hardware
  2. WP is not very customizable
  3. Lack of apps
  4. MS left me before when the market dried up and I am not convinced they won't do it again
The old Windows Mobile used to be more like android in that you could change the interface any way to suit you and now you can't change anything. Just like iPhone which is reason I am also not an iPhone fan.
I use Facebook on mobile browser because every version of their app sucks no matter what the platform BUT try using Southwest's mobile website versus their app or my bank's or my credit card and you soon see the truth of why people get bummed about the app gap.
I am still gun shy after MS deserted me and many of my fellow Windows Mobile/Windows Phone when the economics looked tough. The are still a business and I am not sure they won't do it again. Comments like the recent ones about the WP market share not being sustainable keeps me away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb