Things missing vs other platforms that keeps me from coming back

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
With UConnect on Jeeps and Dodges you can control your car from your phone. I'm sure all the other car companies have similar systems, I know Ford does. How many of those apps are on W10M??

p4l0m0

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
As a 1520 and 930 owner this is not just about app gap. It is also about app quality. Due to some problems with the 930 i have gone back to my previous iphone4 and love the design of iOS app. Tapatalk, Spotify, tuneIn... Apps in w10 are useful but they're not as mature as they are in others platforms. I continue with loadings screens even in W10 mobile... Time is up?

god_forbids

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I am an enthusiast since WP7. Involved in the scene and promoting, getting most of my family on them. Now I am seriously considering jumping ship. Death by 1,000 cuts, I guess. No mobile deposit app for my bank, of course, but also 999 times out of 1000 seeing "available for both Android and iPhone!" has done me in. There may have been space for a third player in the US market but Microsoft has not made one for themselves.

halflifecrysis

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
You're pulling those numbers out of your rear. Just because you "bet" it doesn't make it true.

The reality is that technology is becoming a larger part of our everyday lives. Smart home security systems, smart thermostats, banking apps, payroll and hr apps, car systems with apps on your phone and the list goes on and on and gets longer all the time. If you want to be a part of the technological revolution you need at least an Android but preferably an iPhone.

This is true. There have been so many things I didn't buy because the companion apps are iOS and Android only. It's hard to stay loyal when its hindering moving forward technology wise.

Doing things in browser has been a terrible crutch for Windows phone and allowed too much skating around making real apps for some manufactures AND as you said when we get them (companion apps) they are stripped and not fully functional.

Chase pulled their app and told me to just use the browser and when I asked about scanning checks for deposit they said I could always drive to branch. This was an app that was already built and they yanked it.

The only reason I've stuck around this long is the glorious screen on my 1520,but the Note 6 is going to be mighty tempting this September.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
For me the biggest missing feature keeping me from buying a new W10M device is MirrorLink. Not being able to use my phone in the car on long business trips is the most frustrating thing about the platform. Bluetooth barely even works as it won't read messages sent via Skype in the messaging app. Really the only thing I can do with my phone in the car is play music.

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Wow, amazingly civil thread. Can't really add much to what has already been said. I haven't left WP, have a 950 daily driver and a 950XL for insider builds. Been on Windows mobile platform since my HP Jornada PPC. Things I'm missing are a real Starbucks app. There are numerous ways you can pay for SB with a WP or a Band for that matter. What I can't do is reload my card with the tap of a button. You'd think Starbucks would want to make that easy for me. I would like a Smart WATCH. I have a Band 2, it's fine. Does what I need, but I don't need fitness (well I do, but I don't want it). I have an Apple Watch and a Moto 360, and the iPhone 6S and Nexus 5x to go with them, but I prefer WP, hence I'm wearing my Band. MS makes every darn thing for iOS and Android, how about making WP talk to my Android wear devices. I would like A (singular) decent home control system. Insteon sucks. Probably fine on Android and iOS, but on WP, and Windows, the app is dismal. Other options are spotty on what is supported. It would be nice if MS pretended to care about WP. I understand that the cloud customers are on iOS and Android, but don't make stuff for them and not for WP. Don't make theirs first and better. Help us believe that you believe in the platform. Show developers that it actually is possible to make apps for WP.

My optimism thought for the day is for developers. I apologize for MS throwing you under the bus in the past. WM6.x, oops dead, WP7 is the new thing. Oh wait, WP8 is much better....until W10Mobile. I think the good news is that is unlikely to happen again. With the core of the OS, mobile, desktop, Xbox, IoT, HoloLens, all being the same, I can't imagine the mobile track being scrapped for a different direction. (scrapped entirely, maybe) So the good news is if you follow along, yet again, or get into it for the first time, you are probably safe from the biannual slash and burn concept of progress.

In closing let me provide some wisdom to WP users from eastern philosophy: To increase contentment, decrease desire.
Or in my own philosophy of life I call pessimistic optimism. If you don't expect too much, you'll never be disappointed.

GMC262

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
In closing let me provide some wisdom to WP users from eastern philosophy: To increase contentment, decrease desire.
Or in my own philosophy of life I call pessimistic optimism. If you don't expect too much, you'll never be disappointed.
That approach provides no incentive for Microsoft to do any better-though iOS is not my preference, I appreciate Jobs taking the opposite tack with the iPhone and helping to push all smartphones to where they are today.

edoug

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Though I have an iPhone for most things, I also have a 950 that I believe in strongly enough to use on a weekly if not daily basis and keep active.

I want...
contactless payment
more reliable Cortana control for things like music playback
to be able to use my People data from inside maps to get directions

On the App front...
Chase
an app that lets me see the schedule of my coworkers (Exchange/Office365...on iOS I can use the OWA app for this)
Freshdesk
Starbucks

on the app side, I could get by without most of them, but the OS features are what I'm holding out for. I believe in the next 2-3 years that I will probably have moved to WP because they are evolving all the missing features and the strategy to get apps through the Windows 10 strategy seems to be making progress.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Of course but I'm talking about the functionnalities that were present and are gone like the People Hub. I know why they removed it and made the platform what it is now, it's just a shame.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
The reality is that technology is becoming a larger part of our everyday lives. Smart home security systems, smart thermostats, banking apps, payroll and hr apps, car systems with apps on your phone and the list goes on and on and gets longer all the time. If you want to be a part of the technological revolution you need at least an Android but preferably an iPhone.
This "revolution" you speak of is mostly wasting time doing things harder. Turn on the security when you leave home--what else do you need? Set a programmable thermostate. Done. I would argue banking on your phone is asking for security problems, but even so what does it give you that you don't have in a browser on your PC? Payroll and HR again should not be done on the phone for security reasons, and at my place of work we all do it on our PCs. Using phones in cars is just plain stupid! Many studies have shown that just talking on your phone is dangerous. Don't do it! When driving, drive. The list goes on and on. We are born with brains, and for many of us they work better than our phones.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
This "revolution" you speak of is mostly wasting time doing things harder. Turn on the security when you leave home--what else do you need? Set a programmable thermostate. Done. I would argue banking on your phone is asking for security problems, but even so what does it give you that you don't have in a browser on your PC? Payroll and HR again should not be done on the phone for security reasons, and at my place of work we all do it on our PCs. Using phones in cars is just plain stupid! Many studies have shown that just talking on your phone is dangerous. Don't do it! When driving, drive. The list goes on and on. We are born with brains, and for many of us they work better than our phones.

Not sure how old you are but I've noticed as I've gotten older I sometimes forget things. So having the ability to do things from my phone is helpful in case I forget.

As for banking, why not go to the bank instead of using a PC? That's about the same level of statement you just made if security is your concern. Having a banking app is handy, especially when you need access to the data and there's no bank or ATM around.

Mobility is a big aspect of life these days. People working from home and on the go. That's the whole point of Continuum and why MS is targeting it. If it wasn't big MS wouldn't be interested, along with pretty much every other IT service out there.

Also, I believe the car system they're referring to is the Android Car system which can connect to your phone. These are becoming standard. Also, how many people use the GPS and the music app on their phones when they drive? Lots.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Also, how many people use the GPS and the music app on their phones when they drive? Lots.
Lots of people get into accidents too! Lots. To help keep that ageing brain working use it--seriously--use it or lose it. Personally, I like to memorize a driving route for at least a couple of hours, and I can usually go all day without either looking at a map or a GPS. But, if I get confused and need a refresher it is far, far safer to take a rest stop and check things out properly rather than do like "lots" of people do and poke at a tiny screen. Even if it does nothing else, it forces your eyes to refocus away from where they should be focused down the road. Point being that just because you can do something with technology it doesn't mean that is inherently the best way to do it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05