Things missing vs other platforms that keeps me from coming back

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to make it a day using my friends LG v10.

Camera is nice I Wilk say that and this hardware isn't bad.

But i swear to god android still sucks even on higher end flagship type devices. Goodness. Stutter here, stutter there. I hate play store layout and this notification overload is annoying.

I can't wait to get my Lumia back later today. Though I am glad to see he is enjoying my Lumia.

I feel like I am in the 90s with these icons. Even using windows phone launchers, it feels bad.

Florin_Anghel

Banned
Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I am trying to make it a day using my friends LG v10.

Camera is nice I Wilk say that and this hardware isn't bad.

But i swear to god android still sucks even on higher end flagship type devices. Goodness. Stutter here, stutter there. I hate play store layout and this notification overload is annoying.

I can't wait to get my Lumia back later today. Though I am glad to see he is enjoying my Lumia.

I feel like I am in the 90s with these icons. Even using windows phone launchers, it feels bad.
Maybe that's true for v10 but I played with a LG G4, my god that thing was snappy, all apps ran heavenly. while my lumia 930 having hard times updating live tiles (I don't mean to mock the W10M but the tiles aren't updating).

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Lots of people get into accidents too! Lots. To help keep that ageing brain working use it--seriously--use it or lose it. Personally, I like to memorize a driving route for at least a couple of hours, and I can usually go all day without either looking at a map or a GPS. But, if I get confused and need a refresher it is far, far safer to take a rest stop and check things out properly rather than do like "lots" of people do and poke at a tiny screen. Even if it does nothing else, it forces your eyes to refocus away from where they should be focused down the road. Point being that just because you can do something with technology it doesn't mean that is inherently the best way to do it.

Of course I remember my usual routes and new places I like to go. I've moved countries several times so having a GPS is rather handy. I work in engineering so having a good memory is a necessary but life is busy and sometimes people forget things without meaning to and the older you get the more likely you'll forget things. It's a fact of life.

As for accidents, if you want to get technical, just having a radio or someone else in the car (probably a bigger cause of accidents) is a chance of accident. Also there are many many people who shouldn't be technically driving but some feel it's their 'right' to drive not realising it's a 'privilege'.

Self driving cars can't come soon enough if you ask me.

Last edited:

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
This "revolution" you speak of is mostly wasting time doing things harder. Turn on the security when you leave home--what else do you need? Set a programmable thermostate. Done. I would argue banking on your phone is asking for security problems, but even so what does it give you that you don't have in a browser on your PC? Payroll and HR again should not be done on the phone for security reasons, and at my place of work we all do it on our PCs. Using phones in cars is just plain stupid! Many studies have shown that just talking on your phone is dangerous. Don't do it! When driving, drive. The list goes on and on. We are born with brains, and for many of us they work better than our phones.

For home Security, it is a whole lot more than just turning it on. If you are outside, and someone breaks in, you would be notified right away. You would also be able to access the security camera from outside too.

For bank apps, it is needed if you want to deposit a check by taking a picture of it. I have yet to see a bank website that lets me edeposit a check. Huge deal and a time saver if you have to deposit checks often as you probably know how the line ups are in banks.

As for the cars, gps is useful for many people, not necessarily because of the direction but it shows your real time location on a map. The technology is also improving to make sure that it is safer. A modern smartphone needs to have a full car integration.

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry 10

Xaxxus

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I never really had much of an issue wtih missing apps other than snapchat (i dont really use it, but alot of my friends do and I got sick and tired of hearing them say "get snapchat").

For basically every app I could need there is a third party alternative. I personally, could care less if an app is third party or first party. However, not having proper first party apps is going to be the death of the platform. I have to give props to Rudy for keeping the platform afloat with his 6apps, but unfortunately, nobody knows what 6sec, or 6tin is.

A perfect example of this: I was on 6tin and a friend came by and said "what the hell is 6tin?". Its an exact UI replica of tinder, and my average Joe non techy friend (who is an avid tinder user) couldnt figure it out.
The sad thing is, this is the reaction a few people have had when they stumbled upon me using tinder on my phone. They are going to open the app store looking for tinder, they will see 6tin thinking its a knockoff or a ****ty scam app.

Windows NEEDS official apps if its going to survive. And they need to be updated at the same time as the other platforms. Third party apps are only going to keep the enthusiasts happy. Also Microsoft needs to ensure that the APIs available allow developers to keep their apps on par with the android and iOS counterparts.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Maybe that's true for v10 but I played with a LG G4, my god that thing was snappy, all apps ran heavenly. while my lumia 930 having hard times updating live tiles (I don't mean to mock the W10M but the tiles aren't updating).

I've never seen that happen with live tiles but that's unfortunate. The v10 is newer hardware so no reason it should be this pathetic.

jmerwin

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Don't hold your breath just yet on the s7 Edge, I work in a carrier, so far I see daily S7 Edge problems. I love the phone, I have one actually. But 'smooth' 100% of the time it is not, in fact our phone has 0 user installed apps and it has 'lagged' a few times. Is it fast? It better, be its freaking a week old kind of thing. App gap, cant argue there. But it is pretty crazy that my 1520 with beta software is just as 'smooth' as the S7 with finished software. However, with all that said, have fun with the camera, that thing focus so freaking fast...I wont say anything about its 'picture quality' because so far my 1520 imo and pulling the dng's has matched it. I do recommend the S7 Edge especially to android upgraders, it is a sweet phone, imo a better leap than their last 2 phones when talking about generational leaps.

Thanks for the heads up! I haven't personally experienced any lagging but ive only had it for two weeks. Time will tell. Loving the camera thus far .... crazy fast. A pleasant change over my 950. I so wish Microsoft would figure that out in the future.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

hamza_micro

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
i am satisfied with a few regular apps like UC browser, facebook, skype etc. and more than satisfied with the microsoft developed apps like office lens. but i admit the amount of apps as compare to android and apple are far less. one of the major app missing that i am very fond of is the pintreset, which is sad bcoz it previously existed and was dropped by the developers. the windows phone uses pining feature very similar to pinterest and the app could actually be incorporated very nicely within the windows phone. another problem is that the games are not up to date like temple run.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I can edeposit a check from my PC to my Credit Union through its website. ;-)
Consider yourself one of the few!

I think it's a bit annoying when people knock down other people's needs in a phone. I don't know about some people, but if I travel a lot, I would love to know what is going on at my home, as someone that lives alone.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Consider yourself one of the few!

I think it's a bit annoying when people knock down other people's needs in a phone. I don't know about some people, but if I travel a lot, I would love to know what is going on at my home, as someone that lives alone.
Yep as has been said before, the phone should serve you not the other way around :)

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to be foolishly led into trying to keep up with the Jones'.

Think about it for a second. This is why most people have nothing (in the bank), eating out everyday just to say i have, buying the expensive phone to post on Facebook, driving a nice car. I am guilty too sometimes, but not with my phone no more, not with social media. Lets use social media and computing to improve the world, not boast about what i am doing, or being indecent to make money from the masses.

sekellogg

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I was the opposite. Dropped my Icon last September and switched to the Galaxy Note. The first week wasn't bad, had lots of apps, and realized I had no need for most of them. I also found that every where I turned, there were ads. Last weekend I got rid of it and bought the 950. Going with an Android for about 6 months showed me that I much prefer the interface and functionality of WP. So far I am really enjoying WM10. The only app I really miss is Quicken mobile.

GMC262

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I don't want to be foolishly led into trying to keep up with the Jones'.

Think about it for a second. This is why most people have nothing (in the bank), eating out everyday just to say i have, buying the expensive phone to post on Facebook, driving a nice car. I am guilty too sometimes, but not with my phone no more, not with social media. Lets use social media and computing to improve the world, not boast about what i am doing, or being indecent to make money from the masses.

You don't need an expensive phone to post on Facebook. Budget phones will do that pretty well. What has that or driving expensive cars or the other items you mentioned have to do with choosing not to return to Windows mobile for phones?

The Werewolf

May 4, 2014
Visit site
There's a sense of being between a rock and a hard place when it comes to Windows 10 Mobile.

I have one of each - iPhone 5, Nexus 6 and Lumia 550. For me it's not simply apps, it's also that the phone (or tablet) do what I want the way I want it to, which leaves out the iPhone, which I don't really use anymore except for development. I like Windows 10 Mobile a lot - and UWP has me excited about it. BUT... while many of my regular apps are on W10M, a lot aren't or aren't as good.

I have a Seek thermal camera - no W10M support. Here audio buds - no W10M support. Sony QX10 camera - third party support, but none from Sony. Hue and Lux lights... same. And the list goes on.

I think the situation will get better, and I'm willing to either write some of these apps or wait for the original app owners to bring them to W10M because I can tell you - UWP is the easiest platform for which to develop and if Microsoft's acquisition of Xamarin goes as we expect - soon UWP will be for all platforms, not just Windows... and hopefully more developers will move to it.

Right now, my Nexus 6 is my primary phone, mostly out of familiarity - but also because there are some apps I can't give up just yet and there are no good equivalents. The iPhone is to fill in when an app is iOS only (which still happens a lot), But the W10M phone is for me, the one for the future.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I was the opposite. Dropped my Icon last September and switched to the Galaxy Note. The first week wasn't bad, had lots of apps, and realized I had no need for most of them. I also found that every where I turned, there were ads. Last weekend I got rid of it and bought the 950. Going with an Android for about 6 months showed me that I much prefer the interface and functionality of WP. So far I am really enjoying WM10. The only app I really miss is Quicken mobile.
Yeah using android for me has shown me that windows 10 is the better os for me. The interface just makes it.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
There's a sense of being between a rock and a hard place when it comes to Windows 10 Mobile.

I have one of each - iPhone 5, Nexus 6 and Lumia 550. For me it's not simply apps, it's also that the phone (or tablet) do what I want the way I want it to, which leaves out the iPhone, which I don't really use anymore except for development. I like Windows 10 Mobile a lot - and UWP has me excited about it. BUT... while many of my regular apps are on W10M, a lot aren't or aren't as good.

I have a Seek thermal camera - no W10M support. Here audio buds - no W10M support. Sony QX10 camera - third party support, but none from Sony. Hue and Lux lights... same. And the list goes on.

I think the situation will get better, and I'm willing to either write some of these apps or wait for the original app owners to bring them to W10M because I can tell you - UWP is the easiest platform for which to develop and if Microsoft's acquisition of Xamarin goes as we expect - soon UWP will be for all platforms, not just Windows... and hopefully more developers will move to it.

Right now, my Nexus 6 is my primary phone, mostly out of familiarity - but also because there are some apps I can't give up just yet and there are no good equivalents. The iPhone is to fill in when an app is iOS only (which still happens a lot), But the W10M phone is for me, the one for the future.

Well even though you use android, good to see you are at least against the norm and willing to help develop apps for the windows 10 platform.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss