Things missing vs other platforms that keeps me from coming back

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
We can admire being stoic in the sense of taking a firm stand yet why deprive yourself?
I would say that you not buying something because of no app has negligible impact realistically.

Why does it need to be a deprivation? I should stop using an OS I enjoy because some company refuses to make an app? Either way you are depriving yourself. I guess since they walked away from it for Windows phone, it is a deprivation then.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Using Android and you would think with all these apps we have on Android, a quality Reddit app would exist.

YouTube is largely bloated.

Microsoft apps are overhyped as being better.

The usability of doing this or that on Android vs Windows 10 is annoying with Android. It's not intuitive at all.

I seriously find myself slightly confused, aside from apps, how Android is remotely popular. Absolutely a mess. Of course this is a world who woreships the kardashians, so an Android preference really shouldn't surprise me.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Why does it need to be a deprivation? I should stop using an OS I enjoy because some company refuses to make an app? Either way you are depriving yourself. I guess since they walked away from it for Windows phone, it is a deprivation then.

Not sure what you're trying to say here.

Shaz2012

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
On the other end of the spectrum, a little back story first, I've owned or used windows pda/mobile devices since the compaq Ipaq days and my first windows phone was the dell venue pro.
Then moved onto lumia 920, 925, lumia 1520 but had problems with phantom touches and ended up selling it. Downgraded to lumia 635 and then have been using lumia 640 since. Wanted to upgrade to lumia 950xl but decided to wait for the surface phone.
My wife has been a iphone user since it's inception because everyone has an iphone. About 4 months ago, she decided to try out the galaxy s6 edge, so i got one for her,(upgrade time) now the galaxy s7 edge came out and she wanted it too. So i bought it for her, it turned out to be too big, and she asked me to take it. LOL
First day of using it today and about finishing setting it up and what do you know, back to the other end of the spectrum.

I can't import facebook birthdays into google calendar and friends into contacts.
Why is this important? events on facebook used to alert me on my calendar. Didn't need to have fb open.
And by showing contacts on a windows phone and then merging them, i was able to get their pictures, now on google, the pictures are gone because they can't be brought in from facebook. They had an app LOL for that, but facebook made some changes and it stopped working. Android needed an app that stopped working but that feature is built into windows mobile.
i've been using my ms email for as long as i can remember and have been using my gmail for newsletters and stuff, so Ii'm going to use the outlook app instead of gmail and then switch the contacts to show from outlook and keep them in one place. Once the surface phone arrives, I'm going to be the first one in line.

Maybe we should start a thread about what's missing on android and that you need to download an untrusted 3rd party app to do something built into windows. LOL

BTW. The facebook app on android appears to be similar to the facebook app on windows mobile than it is on IOS.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
As for the apps tied to physical products, I would wager that if even 10 people were to write a company and say, "Hello, I was thinking of buying your cool product which comes with an app, but decided not to because it doesn't have an app for my Windows10 phone," that the company would provide one quickly.

Businesses know that for every letter they receive it is worth thousands of others who felt the same way but who didn't bother to write.

As an example, I was looking at a sound console at Costco, and there was one which I could have purchased which included wifi streaming, but the included app is only in the Google and IOS stores, so I walked away from it.

You just make it up as you go along.

panda_mode

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yep. Upgraded from the 1020 to the iPhone 6s back in January. I'll be back when Windows 10 and above feels more complete. The quality of apps are like night and day.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It just feels slownto use. Comparing it to mytube or tube cast on Windows.... Not to mention tubecsast a?d mytube alson have better ui and I like the offline features
If Google wanted to, it could issue cease-and-desist orders to mytube or tubecast. Watching YouTube videos offline is a violation of YouTube terms of service if one does not have a YouTube Red subscription.

"Content is provided to you AS IS. You may access Content for your information and personal use solely as intended through the provided functionality of the Service and as permitted under these Terms of Service. You shall not download any Content unless you see a “download” or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content. You shall not copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise exploit any Content for any other purposes without the prior written consent of YouTube or the respective licensors of the Content. YouTube and its licensors reserve all rights not expressly granted in and to the Service and the Content." Source: https://www.youtube.com/static?gl=CA&template=terms

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
If Google wanted to, it could issue cease-and-desist orders to mytube or tubecast. Watching YouTube videos offline is a violation of YouTube terms of service if one does not have a YouTube Red subscription.

"Content is provided to you AS IS. You may access Content for your information and personal use solely as intended through the provided functionality of the Service and as permitted under these Terms of Service. You shall not download any Content unless you see a ?download? or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content. You shall not copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise exploit any Content for any other purposes without the prior written consent of YouTube or the respective licensors of the Content. YouTube and its licensors reserve all rights not expressly granted in and to the Service and the Content." Source: https://www.youtube.com/static?gl=CA&template=terms

And I am not sure what the relevance is to my post? In the time that both have been around, google doesn't seem to care much. They cared more about the YouTube apo Microsoft created than these apps. So its highly unlikely they would

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
As for the apps tied to physical products, I would wager that if even 10 people were to write a company and say, "Hello, I was thinking of buying your cool product which comes with an app, but decided not to because it doesn't have an app for my Windows10 phone," that the company would provide one quickly.

Businesses know that for every letter they receive it is worth thousands of others who felt the same way but who didn't bother to write.

As an example, I was looking at a sound console at Costco, and there was one which I could have purchased which included wifi streaming, but the included app is only in the Google and IOS stores, so I walked away from it.

I'll explain part of the issue with the scenario here. Keep in mind I'm not bagging WM or anything but looking from a business perspective.

Personally I can see speaker companies like Bose or Sonos or others eventually bringing out W10 apps simply because the PC market is still fairly large so will benefit W10M eventually but just looking from a market perspective of wearables and other tech we have to look at the market share of the Windows Mobile platform, specifically the users base.

Now, if your biggest selling mobile was a low end handset what does that mean to a product company? How likely is a person buying a low end handset to buy a wearable or other mobile connected tech? Answer, not very.

This is the issue. Not necessarily the platform. I'm pretty confident that if their largest selling handset was a mid to high end phone then we probably would be in a better position from a hardware perspective.

This is more likely the reason why wearables and other mobile enabled tech has bypassed Windows Mobile. It's a small market within a small market. Not very appealing to a product company.

That also goes for apps as well. App developers want some form of ROI (return on investment). What specifically will they get with W10M? At this point even with universal apps we still have to consider this because we simply don't know how interested W10 users are of apps on PC. So it's a gamble. We've seen many apps leave because making an app and keeping it up to date is not cheap.

When MS can prove their model is good then things will change. Then people like myself will start to consider returning to W10M again. But until that happens I'm keeping my distance. I own W10 laptops and I have a Surface Pro 3 which I haven't updated yet. So I'm only out on the mobile front.

Last edited:

elitewolverine21

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up! I haven't personally experienced any lagging but ive only had it for two weeks. Time will tell. Loving the camera thus far .... crazy fast. A pleasant change over my 950. I so wish Microsoft would figure that out in the future.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Oddly the one im getting the most of, is screens going out.

However, I do like it a lot, I don't like android, but I love comparisons and always doing side by sides etc. I have the edge variant. So far though, despite issues that I see, I would recommend it to an android user right away, that or the g4 (price). But it still so hard to let go of my 1520, I want the 950, but may be holding out for the X3

elitewolverine21

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
Gotta check it out! ^^ But does it have that feature where you can use phone for typing when using youtube on console?

It will play in background anywhere. Even allow you to search youtube and have it play in a small window as you keep searching. You click on the window and your back to the video. You can keep it on in the background, do everything else, from webbrowse to 9gag, then click on the music bar andit sends you back to the app and it picks up the video where you left off. This is not automatic, you have to go into settings and choose run in background and in lockscreen. In the TubeCast settings.

elitewolverine21

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't think it's that crazy, considering the length of time MS has been working towards an official build of Windows 10 mobile for phones; meanwhile, there is discussion of Android N arriving this summer. None of the platforms (iOS Android or Windows) is perfect but as others have observed, Windows could definitely be more timely in delivering new software and hardware.

I couldn't agree more. If anything release a stripped version, have a whats coming app, so that ms can have like a direct feed app to the phone to announce new features in the works so users don't think its 'finished'. And get them on board. I don't like having to tell people 'soon'. However once I put them on the insider its crazy how much they love it. I have about 8 phones on insider in the household

osurickbee

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Using my Icon (paid off!) on WP8.1: Contacts/Tasks/Calendar, Work & personal emai, GPS, Set security alarm, Sonos music system, Set thermostat, Awesome camera, FB & Twitte, Banking, Phone Calls & Texts (work and personal #''s), Parking Meter App, Podcasts, Uber. I have more, but you get the point! :)

In fairness to this discussion, there are a couple of things that I can't get or have stopped working: I can't take a pic of a check and make a deposit which is a cool trick. I can't use my phone for entry to the local MLB team, so I have to carry physical tickets.

All in all, I understand the "app gap", but fortunately it doesn't impact me greatly and I'm a pretty happy camper!

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
It's not even necessarily apps, but core OS functionality. I drive a lot for work. I am driving from south of Seattle to BC and back tomorrow, will spend 8 or 9 hours in the car. Guess what I can't do? I cannot display my navigation on the car screen. I cannot have my phone read my messages and respond to them. All I can do is play music via Bluetooth. Windows 10 Mobile is an absolutely terrible experience in the car.

Until Windows 10 Mobile has MirrorLink and can read ALL messages in the Messaging app, it's worthless for people who drive a lot. iOS and Android both have very deep car integration that works. This is my biggest reason I will not be buying another Microsoft phone.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
It's not even necessarily apps, but core OS functionality. I drive a lot for work. I am driving from south of Seattle to BC and back tomorrow, will spend 8 or 9 hours in the car. Guess what I can't do? I cannot display my navigation on the car screen. I cannot have my phone read my messages and respond to them. All I can do is play music via Bluetooth. Windows 10 Mobile is an absolutely terrible experience in the car.

Until Windows 10 Mobile has MirrorLink and can read ALL messages in the Messaging app, it's worthless for people who drive a lot. iOS and Android both have very deep car integration that works. This is my biggest reason I will not be buying another Microsoft phone.

I'm calling bullhockey on this post.

Cortana bluetooth reads and allows you to respond to messages all hand free. Been doing this for several years now.

This is a feature that cannot be done (native) with iOS.

Also since Cortana speaks turn by turn directions to me there is absolutely no need to look at a screen on navigation, its a distraction that forces me to take my eyes off the road.

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Can I reply your question with another question?

What do you miss the most on android? Because I am seriously thinking of jumping, but I live in Brazil and cellphones here are REALLY expensive. Right now, I have a 640 XL, looking forward for the 950 XL which still doesn't sell around here. I'm also a carrier client for a very long time, which usually means huge discounts. Right now I could upgrade to a G4 (which I'm inclined not to because I'm a large screen guy) or a Note Edge (which I'm inclined not to because it's very dated and probably won't get 6.0 or 7.0 features) which price around the same with my carrier discount.

When I studied the possibility of a switch, there were a few major holdbacks:
-I really like the jumplist feautre in W10M. Makes thing easier to track down on just about any app. I find Android quite messy whenever I'm trying to find anything. Nothings is alfabetically organized, settings change name every other phone and I usually have the hardest of times trying to find just about anything in an android phone. I know that I'll get used to it, but having a steep learning curve makes a platform unapealling for me.
-I'm really into the skype+messaging integration. I love interactive notifications and I know they don't work like that on Android
-I have an 50GB+ music collection on my OneDrive I stream via Groove. Streaming services don't have all the music I listen to (Yes, I'm that alternative), so having my music collection in Onedrive is kind of a major deal and I know Groove on android is one of the few apps that is significantly worse.
-I'm a productivity guy and I'm all in on MS services. I have three Office 365 accounts (personal, office and college) and not being able to manage my e-mail, calendar and using office apps is totally a deal breaker, bc I usually complement powerpoints or edit spreadsheets on the go on my W10M
-I'm in love with Cortana. I like the fact she has personality, unlike Google Now. I also like how she truly learns from me, such has understanding when and where I work, the kind of news I like to read and most of all location based reminders, which are amazing for me since I have irregular schedueles and a really crappy memory

I know that sounds like settling, but the app gap really isn't major for me. Instagram and Twitter were just about the only two daily apps that I wanted updated. Well, that and WhatsApp and Messenger, but I've all but replaced them with Skype+Messaging (since most of the people I talk to mostly are on W10 too). I ditched all news apps for the amazing RSS Reader NewsFlow, so I don't miss news reading apps either. That kinda sums up my use of an smartphone: News Reading, Listening to music, exchanging message and being productive (Wunderlist+Outlook+Slack = <3).

That said, what do you see in W10M that you haven't found on android? Do you think I can get all of those things done in android?

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm calling bullhockey on this post.

Cortana bluetooth reads and allows you to respond to messages all hand free. Been doing this for several years now.

This is a feature that cannot be done (native) with iOS.

Also since Cortana speaks turn by turn directions to me there is absolutely no need to look at a screen on navigation, its a distraction that forces me to take my eyes off the road.

It will only read messages received via SMS. If you received a Skype messages in the messaging app, it will not read it. Everyone I text with use Skype so they are synced between phone and PC. So in my case, it reads no messages via Bluetooth.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
It will only read messages received via SMS. If you received a Skype messages in the messaging app, it will not read it. Everyone I text with use Skype so they are synced between phone and PC. So in my case, it reads no messages via Bluetooth.

Hmmm does iOS or Android do this? If not then why are you upset at Windows for not doing so?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo