03-21-2016 09:06 PM
31 12
tools
    I prefer the tiles hands down. But it isn't just about the simple grid of icons vs grid of tiles (live or not), you can get downright creative in creating your homescreen. From information overload tiles covering the entire screen to minimalist homescreens. Check out some of these BEAUTIFUL homescreens from the "Share Your WM10 Startscreens" thread, for example:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win.../340515-43.htm

WP is just so much more customizable and fun to look at. You're not stuck. You can always change things up. With iOS, your'e pretty much stuck with a grid.
    03-17-2016 12:11 PM
    Personally I absolutely love the Windows 10 Live Tiles. I'd like to see the transition animation be the same at the animations on Windows 10 PC's. However, you can't argue with the stability of iOS and the performance of it. I'm just hoping that Windows Mobile turns a corner and continues to mature before the world writes it off.
    03-17-2016 03:29 PM
    Which one, besides of support of Apple Cloud Services, has the iPhone in Advance?
    03-18-2016 08:28 AM
    I much prefer live tiles. The whole "old school" 90's style of desktop icons that iOS and Android use just seems so outdated and visually dull to me.

I'm a huge fan of the "picture in tile" look and remain convinced that had it been a customization feature when WP8 launched, it would have made a difference in the adoption rate of WP8. I loved solid colour tiles, but I remember when the Lumia 920 launched, many people complained that they loved the phone but didn't like the solid colour live tiles.

Part of the beauty of the Windows Phone start screen is the customization that we now enjoy. The accent colours, backgrounds, and arrangement of tiles can make a world of difference in the aesthetic appeal of Windows Phone / Win10 Mobile from one phone to another.

Photo attached of my Lumia 1520 from a few months ago.

Attachment 123777
    Again, yes, I love the look of that, but I still have a problem
    Or am I misunderstanding something?

To get it "LOOKING" like that, you are either installing Apps based on the design of their Icons (which would be a bit of a silly thing I'm sure we'd all agree)
    Or you are not putting any of the apps that do have colourful tiles on your home screen, just leaving them under "app apps" and so making it more long winded to get to programs you wish to use all the time.

(That's my issue)

Unless I'm not understanding something?
    03-18-2016 12:57 PM
    Again, yes, I love the look of that, but I still have a problem
    Or am I misunderstanding something?

To get it "LOOKING" like that, you are either installing Apps based on the design of their Icons (which would be a bit of a silly thing I'm sure we'd all agree)
    Or you are not putting any of the apps that do have colourful tiles on your home screen, just leaving them under "app apps" and so making it more long winded to get to programs you wish to use all the time.

(That's my issue)

Unless I'm not understanding something?
    I'm not disputing your issue. I agree that every app should have the option of a transparent tile.

In my case, my layout works perfectly for me. Everything transparent happens to be a core phone related thing or a tool of some sort - the kind of things that I want to be able to launch quickly if needed.

I do like scrolling the home screen to get the parallax effect with the background image, so it just works out that solid or photo tiles are below and I have to scroll to see them. Stuff like windows central, social media, photos, people, me tile, news, finance, etc.

I'm well pleased with the layout and transparent vs not transparent. I do like having some non-transparent tiles in the mix. It adds some variety and colour.
    Laura Knotek and Kram Sacul like this.
    03-21-2016 08:16 PM
    Me, I just like pining my favorite contacts on my start screen and watch the heads move about...

I want to see faces on my phone, not just icons
    03-21-2016 09:06 PM
31 12