iOS vs Windows 10 Home Screen

Loreto 10

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Now imagine you have the same hardware/phone..in this case an iPhone 6..which of these 2 home screens do you prefer? For me its just a no-brainer its the Windows 10 Live-Tile Interface..would like to hear your thoughts..:winktongue:

Attachments

• iOS.jpg
    iOS.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Windows 10.PNG
    Windows 10.PNG
    970.9 KB · Views: 26

R3mis

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Now imagine you have the same hardware/phone..in this case an iPhone 6..which of these 2 home screens do you prefer? For me its just a no-brainer its the Windows 10 Live-Tile Interface..would like to hear your thoughts..:winktongue:

Live tiles all the way. However, that's probably the only thing in which WP is better than iOS, unfortunately.

Loreto 10

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
I don't quite agree on Live Tiles alone being the stand alone feature for WP..and this is from an iPhone user..
my first iPhone was the iPhone 4..I am not quite sure if MS had decent hardware at that time..I fell in love with WP's unique interface when the Lumia 900 was announced..so switched over to WP from the iPhone 4..later upgraded to the Lumia 920..but the lacks of apps on WP was killing me..they didn't even have an official Dropbox app at that time..so, got frustrated went back to Apple..got myself an iPhone 6..but missed the WP UI a lot..then I liked what MS did with the desktop version of Windows 10..so got myself a cheap Lumia 730 and downloaded Windows 10 mobile from the Insider program..Windows 10 mobile was a huge upgrade from windows 8.1..the UI was so much better..MS did a great job on the UI..there were some stability issues..but they kept getting better with each build..I am happy..Windows 10 mobile also has a lot of additional apps when compared to Lumia 920 times..the lack of banking apps was a letdown though..I have heard this is going to change soon..MS keep up the good work..please keep WP going..I currently use a Lumia 950XL and do not miss using my iPhone 6..its just sittin there in my cupboard..

Snaffie

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
I love Live tiles, but, visually and style wise I do have a problem.
The Dramatic, slap you round the face with a plank of wood clash between the very subtle monochrome Tile/Icons, and the bright colourful ones.
They REALLY clash and can make it all so messy.

for me there is one simple answer. Require all apps to have 2 tile icons. A colour one and a plain 2 tone one.

You have these ones that can look oh so neat, esp with transparency and a nice background:
http://img.wpxbox.com/Windows-Phone-8-1-cortana-livesino.png

Then you mess is all up by throwing colour ones in the mix:
http://www.windowscentral.com/sites...14/02/Lumia_Icon_Front_Lede.jpg?itok=6vVDsYYs

Loreto 10

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Totally agree with Snaffie on the rather messy look of the bright color icons for some apps..
MS should have an option to show the app maker's unique color tile or choose a shade from the windows theme..Some of the new universal windows 10 apps have this feature..MS should make this ability a compulsory option for all app makers..they should begin by implementing this in their own apps..I find the colors of word, excel and powerpoint very distracting on the live tile home screen..MS should follow on what they did for Outlook Mail and Calendar..just allow tiles to take up the shade of the system theme setting..

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, that's the only thing I don't really like about iOS, now that I am on it. Windows 10 Mobile wins since it is able to have the background pop through. iOS, you have three options for actual backgrounds:
-Don't care that you can't really see the background
-Put all of the icons in folders to have the background go through
-Arrange icons in a way that some of the background will show through

Option one will drive me crazy, Option two means extra work to open stuff I open all the time, so option three works best but it isn't as nice as W10M. I like the calendar icon blending with the background, so my home screen will probably always be simple as ever.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I would like to see three options on tiles: Live, Transparent, and Colored. You can choose any combination. I discovered that I don't like all the flipping tiles most of the time, but I do like the option for larger tiles showing static information like my calendar or upcoming alarms. Maybe a cool option would be some sort of gesture that would get the tile to update and scroll through information, like headlines or the upcoming weather by hour, and then on the next start up it would revert to static.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I just like the tile interface regardless of if they are live. I like customizing my own look and my interface to work with me in an efficient and optimized manner. So yah that's why I love windows 10. You can stick with a default or you can make your phone usage easier for yourself.

I actually find the newest ios to be confusing at times. Android is pretty ok as you can do some more customization for your needs, but it doesn't sit that well for me. It's all about what the user deems important. Individual preferences.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
As a longtime WP user I would have agreed with you had I not given up on Windows mobile and switched to iPhone. As a user of both platforms, the first thing you notice is that you spend less time gazing at your homescreen on an iPhone because you are in apps. iPhone is all about the apps. The iPhone OS is just that: an app launcher, and the experience is flawless. It was never meant, nor designed for you to spend hours admiring it. You get in, get productive, get out and then get on with life. The concept of live tiles is brilliant -- when they work. And that's the problem: they don't always work. After you've been burned a few times, you no longer trust the information. If you have to open the app to refresh the live tile, it defeats the purpose. I still think Windows Phone's live tiles are pretty, but that's not the reason I own a smartphone.

Snaffie

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Just to say again.

I Love the whole live tile concept, how great to just look and see any important info without going around launching separate apps.

I just wish more programs made the very best use of this.

And I still think it looks very messy, the neat and modern app tiles and the more typical full colour ones.
Hell even the Lumia/Microsoft ones, some are monochrome, clean and modern whilst others (Office etc) are full colour.

Like in Windows, there should be an option to pick, perhaps between Full colour design and modern monochrome design.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I much prefer live tiles. The whole "old school" 90's style of desktop icons that iOS and Android use just seems so outdated and visually dull to me.

I'm a huge fan of the "picture in tile" look and remain convinced that had it been a customization feature when WP8 launched, it would have made a difference in the adoption rate of WP8. I loved solid colour tiles, but I remember when the Lumia 920 launched, many people complained that they loved the phone but didn't like the solid colour live tiles.

Part of the beauty of the Windows Phone start screen is the customization that we now enjoy. The accent colours, backgrounds, and arrangement of tiles can make a world of difference in the aesthetic appeal of Windows Phone / Win10 Mobile from one phone to another.

Photo attached of my Lumia 1520 from a few months ago.

DSC00005-crop.jpg

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I love Live tiles, but, visually and style wise I do have a problem.
The Dramatic, slap you round the face with a plank of wood clash between the very subtle monochrome Tile/Icons, and the bright colourful ones.
They REALLY clash and can make it all so messy.

for me there is one simple answer. Require all apps to have 2 tile icons. A colour one and a plain 2 tone one.

You have these ones that can look oh so neat, esp with transparency and a nice background:
http://img.wpxbox.com/Windows-Phone-8-1-cortana-livesino.png

Then you mess is all up by throwing colour ones in the mix:
http://www.windowscentral.com/sites...14/02/Lumia_Icon_Front_Lede.jpg?itok=6vVDsYYs

That's why people love WP because of how unordinary it is. It's like looking at a carefully crafted landscape unlike the static ones found on android and ios. take away their background and what's left?

That's why I could NEVER go ios or android unless WP DIED!!! Wouldn't know what to do with static tiles with numbers on them. I could scroll over my start screen as much as I want looking at what new info is listed on Cortana, news, twitter, wp central, facebook, 6tag, flipboard, etc. Can any ios or android user do that without touching their phone to open an app?:wink:

groady-ho baluzy

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
That's why people love WP because of how unordinary it is. It's like looking at a carefully crafted landscape unlike the static ones found on android and ios. take away their background and what's left?

That's why I could NEVER go ios or android unless WP DIED!!! Wouldn't know what to do with static tiles with numbers on them. I could scroll over my start screen as much as I want looking at what new info is listed on Cortana, news, twitter, wp central, facebook, 6tag, flipboard, etc. Can any ios or android user do that without touching their phone to open an app?:wink:
Well said!, exactly. I personally love the full transparency look on win10.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I much prefer live tiles. The whole "old school" 90's style of desktop icons that iOS and Android use just seems so outdated and visually dull to me.

I'm a huge fan of the "picture in tile" look and remain convinced that had it been a customization feature when WP8 launched, it would have made a difference in the adoption rate of WP8. I loved solid colour tiles, but I remember when the Lumia 920 launched, many people complained that they loved the phone but didn't like the solid colour live tiles.

Part of the beauty of the Windows Phone start screen is the customization that we now enjoy. The accent colours, backgrounds, and arrangement of tiles can make a world of difference in the aesthetic appeal of Windows Phone / Win10 Mobile from one phone to another.

Photo attached of my Lumia 1520 from a few months ago.

View attachment 123777

Windows Phone 8.1 for the win. Just as elegant today as it was when it was released.

The W10M start screen to me is a downgrade though. The thinner borders make everything look cramped. The icons aren't as well designed. The selection of accent colors is weak (no yellow, crimson, lime, indigo, etc). The transparency is a nice effect but I'm not a fan of the obvious attempt to make it look more like Android and iOS.

The iOS home screen is a glorified app drawer. I do get jealous of the clock arm that moves though.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time finding the right app on cluttered Android and iOS home screens, and I have noticed others do too. Once you get a lot of apps the tendency is to have them all on the home screen. When I use Android I constantly cull my home screen back to just the essentials I use all the time, leaving plenty of space open. That allows me to instantly choose what I need for 90% of what I do, then I can swipe to another screen for the second tier of apps, etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz