03-25-2016 03:25 PM
754 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    so microsoft just used us to build W10 mobile and after its compeletion the ditched us.
    03-19-2016 12:17 AM
    so microsoft just useed us to build W10 mobile and after its compeletion the ditched us.
    03-19-2016 12:19 AM
    So It's WP 7.8 again
    Joni Sin likes this.
    03-19-2016 12:48 AM
    I was an owner of a 625 (I gave it to my dad). Back then I was already leery that my 625 might not get the update because of the S4 processor. I would be thrilled if they reconsider but I won't be so down if they don't.

I do wonder about the non-ms/nokia phones eligible for the insider like the lancet and especially the m8 or even the ATIV SE. Maybe there MIGHT be a second wave, but only for other phones.
    03-19-2016 01:00 AM
    Why not install insider and get the .167 update
    it is the same as the OTA update
    I have been running insider on my L830 for months now
    the last 3 updates have been very stable
    Simple, I am now gun-shy LOL.

Tried some earlier builds on my 1020/830 and the outcomes were less than stellar, got tired of the constant resets, restores etc in hope of getting the combination that brought fourth stability, never did so we reverted back to W8.1 each and every time just for peace of mind.

Its my understanding many older phones need a FW update to resolve some issues that an OS update cant, waiting to see if such is the case with my 830 before again taking the plunge.

Glad to hear it is working for you but then that brings up another point, the past showed way too many inconsistencies in the OS in that the level of success/fail between same/similar devices varied greatly, what I experience on my 830 could be totally opposite from yours, maybe that has changed but the sour tastes from the past keeps me from being convinced.
    03-19-2016 01:09 AM
    Right. I too own 1320 and have tried every built they released.
    Sad they aren't providing the Upgrade.
    03-19-2016 01:10 AM
    Microsoft must be on crack. Their whole platform is a mess and on top of that they are excluding the bulk of their user base from receiving updates. Just like WP7 all over again, only this time they are blaming RAM ...

They should port WinRT (and Universal Apps) to Android. Better yet get out of mobile entirely. Just blows my mind that they did not learn from WP7!
    Spectrum90 and Joni Sin like this.
    03-19-2016 01:20 AM
    Yes, it's possible to get unofficial redstone upates for the phones left out, there is a thread on XDA about that.
    Keith White Jr likes this.
    03-19-2016 01:45 AM
    it is not bad
    wp8 was released 6 months after lumia 900
    03-19-2016 01:52 AM
    Here is my view which is similar to some other posters on this thread

Our devices are old, no denying that. Even if we bought them a year back, they are still old in terms of hardware.

Realistically, how long can we expect our hardware to run as expected? Haven't some of you replaced batteries or screens or motherboards?

I am really careful when using my phone, wrist strap is always there, never fallen onto the ground, have a protective hard cover.

Lets say for example that Microsoft does decide to offer W10M to our devices. What will be the next step? Redstone build which might not run as well since there will be more features. At some point the latest W10M version will not be able to run at all on our devices.

Right now we have the option to have W10M through insider program albeit only as far as 10586 builds go. We won't get redstone for sure. By the time redstone does arrive, it would be late 2016. So how many years will our devices have functioned? Mine is nearing 2 years now and it's still going strong.

So lets take what we can and continue with it. If W10M does indeed prove to unstable for our phones via insider, then we have a few choices

Get a new windows phone : 550, 650, 950, 950xl, nuans neo, elite x3, alcatel idol, fierce, surface?, sony, etc. There are so many that have released.
    Stay with our phones with the 10586 builds if they are stable and keep using until something conks out completely. Apps would still work on 10586, right?
    Get a phone that can be upgraded to W10M like the 640 or 930.
    Go back to 8.1 and continue using that until the phone hardware crashes or the apps become a pain to use

To be realistic, people still having their phones for 3 years know how to take care of it and will do so for a year or two more. Or you're like me and will only change phones when something better comes along, phone dies, saving money to buy a new phone or will replace if our phones get stolen

Not getting the official upgrade does not mean our phones will stop working. Nothing like that
    03-19-2016 01:56 AM
    Very melodramatic. Does the device still turn on? Can you text on it? Can you email on it? Can you browse on it? Can you call on it? A non update of an OS doesn't mean it will suddenly stop working. End of life means just that. Non replaceable Battery gone, screen gone, broken, bits falling off or hardware failing etc. Non of which is as a result of non updates.

The way some are going on, they'll need therapy! It's not the end of the world, there are far more important things to think about
    You seem to be mistaken. I'm not even angry or mad. Read my post immediately before the one you quoted. All in all, MS took a brave move so the development can move forward. There's nothing wrong with that.
    However, I waited 4 years for the app situation to improve, especially after the promising influx of ported apps. Unfortunately, my phone won't benefit from future updates and presently doesn't have the apps I want. So I merely remarked that it was time for me to move on.
    Also, a quip is a quip. Figurative end of life is not the same as physical failure.
    03-19-2016 01:57 AM
    Microsoft must be on crack. Their whole platform is a mess and on top of that they are excluding the bulk of their user base from receiving updates. Just like WP7 all over again, only this time they are blaming RAM ...

They should port WinRT (and Universal Apps) to Android. Better yet get out of mobile entirely. Just blows my mind that they did not learn from WP7!
    No, this is completely different. Windows Phone 7 to Windows Phone 8 needed completely different hardware. Windows Phone 8 to Windows 10 Mobile, though, Microsoft was all in to give it to everyone. HOWEVER, Windows Insiders spoke truthfully, gave honest feedback, and said, "Look, Windows 10 Mobile just does NOT work on my phone as much as I want it to," and after months of trying, pushing the upgrade from the end of 2015 to a couple days ago, which is about 3-4 months of optimizations to get it working, the feedback didn't change. Insiders still gave the same feedback, "These upgrades aren't working well on our phones."

So after months of dedicated work, pushing the upgrade further and further back, Microsoft finally said, "Hey, look, we tried, and we're sorry, but there's no more time, we need to start on the next set of upgrades now. That'll do for all the feedback, thank you for the help, and with a sad goodbye, we applaud all of your feedback," which instead of making some normal, every day customers upset, decided to cancel the upgrade all together.

Time ran out, and the feedback didn't improve enough, even though the performance did. Sorry, everyone tried.
    03-19-2016 01:59 AM
    I've been a 1020 user for two years now I believe.
    I can understand the hardware no longer being sufficient.

Here's the problem for me, and this forum was for us to share our opinions and thus.
    Lumia 1020 is such a unique phone, there really isn't anything like it out there.
    I guess I wanted Windows 10 Mobile to be available because I wanted it to still be relevant Software wise.
    Let's face it, 8.1 is dead. Updates will cease.
    8.1 is much too far from the competition in everything.

Now what's been said has been said, no updates. That's fine.
    But they also cancelled the next gen 1020.

So my gripes are just as it is, at least, give us an OS to work with.

The final statement, I'm switching to Android.
    Believe me, I genuinely loved Windows.
    Last edited by Birhang Limbu; 03-19-2016 at 02:35 AM.
    Aranya Tantu and KRDROIDD like this.
    03-19-2016 02:17 AM
    Some persons are reporting a workaround. If your Qualcomm S4-powered device is already on Windows 10, switching to Production gives them build 164.

Someone on mspoweruser comments had this happen to his 920, and someone from Pocketnow comments had it happen to his 512 MB 635. I have an Ativ SE, so I can't check.
    03-19-2016 02:22 AM
    If you read articles it was a decision made by the feedback of ALL windows insiders, they weighed the odds.
    Yes, I was insider in the 8.1 era and It was a nightmare... But now we consider 8.1 as a native OS. Just think.
    03-19-2016 02:23 AM
    Time ran out, and the feedback didn't improve enough, even though the performance did. Sorry, everyone tried.
    This is what I'm mainly thinking. Yes, some of the devices wouldn't get all the features, and some devices wouldn't perform as well.. but the build updates WHERE continually getting better; so much so, that they took the Insiders 'latest' build and flighted it out OTA.

But I guess the Feedback got to be too much, and they wanted to start focusing on Redstone and at least 1MB handsets.

Just a Note though: The Feedback app didn't have a 'What do you like' section. Only 'Suggestions' & 'Problems'. So really, what would they expect? They'd only get feedback about any problem found (and wm users can be quite picky, Lol) and a long wish list of suggestions.

Anyways, I'll probably drive whatever Threshold builds that 'may' be available until Christmas, then upgrade to a modest handset that can run Redstone. (or I might find me a workaround and shoehorn Redstone on my 521, ha ha).
    03-19-2016 02:27 AM
    Not getting the official upgrade does not mean our phones will stop working. Nothing like that
    It doesn't, but it does influence my decision-making on what my next phone will be. I've had my 920 for about two and a half years. (I bought my 920 VERY late into its lifespan, because at the time it was a bargain compared to other phones. I paid for it upfront in full.)

So I'm going to keep my phone for the immediate future. My app needs are relatively modest, so I'm fine for now. However, if we DO start getting W10M apps that require Redstone or later (which is going to happen eventually), or my phone breaks, I'm going to be looking for a replacement. And this fiasco will influence my decision. It won't be the ONLY factor, but it will be A factor.

But fundamentally I do not like this notion - approved on mobile - of simply accepting that the OEM knows best. My experiences with W10M Insider have been perfectly acceptable. I wouldn't be as upset if MS had said: "We think that these older phones are not suitable for W10M. We will not offer these devices an OTA upgrade for non-Insider users. However, Insider users will continue to receive updates for these devices." I want to make that decision. This whole "your device is old, har har, buy a new one" attitude I see in so many tech forums is ridiculous. As a person who's smart with their money - who uses things for as long as they can - I find that attitude wasteful.
    omerfbingol, Raylz and wshwe like this.
    03-19-2016 02:36 AM
    Am I the only one thinking that Microsoft made this fateful decision by feedbacks they got which our phones have sent automatically? CPU and RAM usage information and other technical parameters would be more considerable data than user comments, if you ask me.
    03-19-2016 02:47 AM
    I have 520 with w10 .164 and it works good!
    03-19-2016 02:53 AM
    Thank you, I really hope they will update list to accommodate 1020,925,920,525. My company runs on all these phones. We will be forced to move to another OS if W10M is not on these devises. We have been loyal to Windows Mobile for many years! It will be SAD to leave.
    03-19-2016 03:08 AM
    Thank you, I really hope they will update list to accommodate 1020,925,920,525. My company runs on all these phones. We will be forced to move to another OS if W10M is not on these devises. We have been loyal to Windows Mobile for many years! It will be SAD to leave.
    http://www.windowscentral.com/verizo...-mobile-update

Read this, they say that the list is final. Just upgrade your phones than leave...
    Last edited by grantpwarren; 03-19-2016 at 04:09 AM.
    03-19-2016 03:13 AM
    Why don't Microsoft consider upgrading Lumia 1020, it has all suitable specification required for Windows 10.
    Its really sad and disappointing they "Microsoft" have not considering Lumia 1020 for Windows 10 upgrade.

In case you Microsoft people have any plans of upgrading Lumia 1020 , please note the glance screen also works, because it seems in developer version it never used to, and include all Lumia app for the phone...
    Last edited by Kishu1974; 03-19-2016 at 03:56 AM.
    rotkod likes this.
    03-19-2016 03:37 AM
    i was waiting for whatsapp video calling feature
    03-19-2016 04:06 AM
    I'm in the same boat as you all (I own a L920). I fell disappointed because MS used me to build W10 throw insider. At the beginning they said that every one will be able to get W10 so I said OK let's give them some help. Now when they are close to finish the product they say: You know, thanks for your help but we don't need you any more. Buy a new phone.
    During the whole time when the insider is live more then 30% of the phones in this program where our phones. What would happened if we knew at the beginning that our phones won't be supported. We would never take part in this action which means they would never get where they are today. Period.
    Hell if I knew what is going to happened then I would have started to save some money to buy the new model.
    I remember that a couple of weeks ago they said they will update the firmware for our phones systematically and they even prepared a website where you can check the phone model. Guess what... there's only L950 there.
    I don't say that I won't buy a new phone in the near future. I will but I don't want MS to decide when to do it.
    They lied to us.
    I'm also disappointed because some of folks here in windows central are sarcastic and they say if your not happy then buy a new phone. Ok I understand but not everyone has the budget to go immediately to the store and throw 500, 600, 700 $. I wish you can buy a phone every month, I can't do this. We can afford to buy every 3, 4 even 5 years.
    Joni Sin likes this.
    03-19-2016 04:13 AM
    Has anyone tried to hack their phone and get the latest redstone build ?This is an option for us too
    03-19-2016 04:49 AM
754 ... 910111213 ...