Lumia 520, 720, 820, 920, 1020, 1320 (x20 series) Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamminium

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520, 720, 920, 1020, 1320 Owners

Very melodramatic. Does the device still turn on? Can you text on it? Can you email on it? Can you browse on it? Can you call on it? A non update of an OS doesn't mean it will suddenly stop working. End of life means just that. Non replaceable Battery gone, screen gone, broken, bits falling off or hardware failing etc. Non of which is as a result of non updates.

The way some are going on, they'll need therapy! It's not the end of the world, there are far more important things to think about

You seem to be mistaken. I'm not even angry or mad. Read my post immediately before the one you quoted. All in all, MS took a brave move so the development can move forward. There's nothing wrong with that.
However, I waited 4 years for the app situation to improve, especially after the promising influx of ported apps. Unfortunately, my phone won't benefit from future updates and presently doesn't have the apps I want. So I merely remarked that it was time for me to move on.
Also, a quip is a quip. Figurative end of life is not the same as physical failure.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

Microsoft must be on crack. Their whole platform is a mess and on top of that they are excluding the bulk of their user base from receiving updates. Just like WP7 all over again, only this time they are blaming RAM ...

They should port WinRT (and Universal Apps) to Android. Better yet get out of mobile entirely. Just blows my mind that they did not learn from WP7!

No, this is completely different. Windows Phone 7 to Windows Phone 8 needed completely different hardware. Windows Phone 8 to Windows 10 Mobile, though, Microsoft was all in to give it to everyone. HOWEVER, Windows Insiders spoke truthfully, gave honest feedback, and said, "Look, Windows 10 Mobile just does NOT work on my phone as much as I want it to," and after months of trying, pushing the upgrade from the end of 2015 to a couple days ago, which is about 3-4 months of optimizations to get it working, the feedback didn't change. Insiders still gave the same feedback, "These upgrades aren't working well on our phones."

So after months of dedicated work, pushing the upgrade further and further back, Microsoft finally said, "Hey, look, we tried, and we're sorry, but there's no more time, we need to start on the next set of upgrades now. That'll do for all the feedback, thank you for the help, and with a sad goodbye, we applaud all of your feedback," which instead of making some normal, every day customers upset, decided to cancel the upgrade all together.

Time ran out, and the feedback didn't improve enough, even though the performance did. Sorry, everyone tried.

Birhang Limbu

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site

I've been a 1020 user for two years now I believe.
I can understand the hardware no longer being sufficient.

Here's the problem for me, and this forum was for us to share our opinions and thus.
Lumia 1020 is such a unique phone, there really isn't anything like it out there.
I guess I wanted Windows 10 Mobile to be available because I wanted it to still be relevant Software wise.
Let's face it, 8.1 is dead. Updates will cease.
8.1 is much too far from the competition in everything.

Now what's been said has been said, no updates. That's fine.
But they also cancelled the next gen 1020.

So my gripes are just as it is, at least, give us an OS to work with.

The final statement, I'm switching to Android.
Believe me, I genuinely loved Windows.:unhappy:

Last edited:

mageman17

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site

Some persons are reporting a workaround. If your Qualcomm S4-powered device is already on Windows 10, switching to Production gives them build 164.

Someone on mspoweruser comments had this happen to his 920, and someone from Pocketnow comments had it happen to his 512 MB 635. I have an Ativ SE, so I can't check.

Ben_NC

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

Time ran out, and the feedback didn't improve enough, even though the performance did. Sorry, everyone tried.

This is what I'm mainly thinking. Yes, some of the devices wouldn't get all the features, and some devices wouldn't perform as well.. but the build updates WHERE continually getting better; so much so, that they took the Insiders 'latest' build and flighted it out OTA.

But I guess the Feedback got to be too much, and they wanted to start focusing on Redstone and at least 1MB handsets.

Just a Note though: The Feedback app didn't have a 'What do you like' section. Only 'Suggestions' & 'Problems'. So really, what would they expect? They'd only get feedback about any problem found (and wm users can be quite picky, Lol) and a long wish list of suggestions.

Anyways, I'll probably drive whatever Threshold builds that 'may' be available until Christmas, then upgrade to a modest handset that can run Redstone. (or I might find me a workaround and shoehorn Redstone on my 521, ha ha).

leops1984

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

Not getting the official upgrade does not mean our phones will stop working. Nothing like that

It doesn't, but it does influence my decision-making on what my next phone will be. I've had my 920 for about two and a half years. (I bought my 920 VERY late into its lifespan, because at the time it was a bargain compared to other phones. I paid for it upfront in full.)

So I'm going to keep my phone for the immediate future. My app needs are relatively modest, so I'm fine for now. However, if we DO start getting W10M apps that require Redstone or later (which is going to happen eventually), or my phone breaks, I'm going to be looking for a replacement. And this fiasco will influence my decision. It won't be the ONLY factor, but it will be A factor.

But fundamentally I do not like this notion - approved on mobile - of simply accepting that the OEM knows best. My experiences with W10M Insider have been perfectly acceptable. I wouldn't be as upset if MS had said: "We think that these older phones are not suitable for W10M. We will not offer these devices an OTA upgrade for non-Insider users. However, Insider users will continue to receive updates for these devices." I want to make that decision. This whole "your device is old, har har, buy a new one" attitude I see in so many tech forums is ridiculous. As a person who's smart with their money - who uses things for as long as they can - I find that attitude wasteful.

omerfbingol

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Am I the only one thinking that Microsoft made this fateful decision by feedbacks they got which our phones have sent automatically? CPU and RAM usage information and other technical parameters would be more considerable data than user comments, if you ask me.

EJMDC

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site

Thank you, I really hope they will update list to accommodate 1020,925,920,525. My company runs on all these phones. We will be forced to move to another OS if W10M is not on these devises. We have been loyal to Windows Mobile for many years! It will be SAD to leave.

grantpwarren

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site

Thank you, I really hope they will update list to accommodate 1020,925,920,525. My company runs on all these phones. We will be forced to move to another OS if W10M is not on these devises. We have been loyal to Windows Mobile for many years! It will be SAD to leave.

http://www.windowscentral.com/verizons-lumia-icon-could-still-get-windows-10-mobile-update

Read this, they say that the list is final. Just upgrade your phones than leave...

Last edited:

Kishu1974

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Why don't Microsoft consider upgrading Lumia 1020, it has all suitable specification required for Windows 10.
Its really sad and disappointing they "Microsoft" have not considering Lumia 1020 for Windows 10 upgrade.

In case you Microsoft people have any plans of upgrading Lumia 1020 , please note the glance screen also works, because it seems in developer version it never used to, and include all Lumia app for the phone...

Last edited:

DoDeH1

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

I'm in the same boat as you all (I own a L920). I fell disappointed because MS used me to build W10 throw insider. At the beginning they said that every one will be able to get W10 so I said OK let's give them some help. Now when they are close to finish the product they say: You know, thanks for your help but we don't need you any more. Buy a new phone.
During the whole time when the insider is live more then 30% of the phones in this program where our phones. What would happened if we knew at the beginning that our phones won't be supported. We would never take part in this action which means they would never get where they are today. Period.
Hell if I knew what is going to happened then I would have started to save some money to buy the new model.
I remember that a couple of weeks ago they said they will update the firmware for our phones systematically and they even prepared a website where you can check the phone model. Guess what... there's only L950 there.
I don't say that I won't buy a new phone in the near future. I will but I don't want MS to decide when to do it.
They lied to us.
I'm also disappointed because some of folks here in windows central are sarcastic and they say if your not happy then buy a new phone. Ok I understand but not everyone has the budget to go immediately to the store and throw 500, 600, 700 $. I wish you can buy a phone every month, I can't do this. We can afford to buy every 3, 4 even 5 years.

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site

Hey guys, finally MS has told the truth, which I and many others were expecting long ago. MS never could update all Wp8.1 devices. There are lot many with diferent hardware combination which never could run the same OS flawlessly. MS does not have that intelligent programmers. If they had, there was no need to push W10 so soon when they could make WP8.1 with same features. My points are:

1: Why was W10 programmed when most devices had 8.1 running smoothly already. When shifting from WP8 to WP8.1, they could have made WP8.1 itself as W10 today. All the coming feature could have been added stepwise with service packs, similar to how PC W10 receives builds. Instead they just scrapped whole thing and started from a scratch. They should have first made WP8.1 feature rich and complete before even starting W10. I believe the base of WP8.1 and W10 are almost similar. What was the need to release 3 different OS in just 1-2 years of span?

2: Now after W10, WP8.1's development is abandoned. MS will never add features, bug fixes to WP8.1. It even has no smart dialing.(I doubt even W10 has it). If MS leaves, app developers will too, soon.

3: As per MS, "Higher % of reports of performance issues, lower % of votes of likely to recommend", then people had problem with WP right from version 7. They did not rectify those before shifting to WP8, to WP8.1 and now W10.

4: If there were those issues then why so much show for insider preview and keep so many guys involved(free of cost) for the development of W10 before ultimately revealing they can not do it? Did they not know it from the begining? Or now they understood they are not that intelligent and capable?
I feel MS used every single WP insider just to make W10 better for newer devices and they never intended to release it for older devices.

5: MS says the devices are 3 years old and at eol. This is when the devices was released by MS in US. It does not mean it is available in every corner of the world at the same moment. I purchased L925 just 1.5 years ago as it was not available in India before that. And MS believes it's 3 years old. For me it's still new. Others may have same situation.

This is the reason why developers never think of windows mobile for apps. MS is not trustworthy since WP7. HERE maps made a wise choice of not getting involved atall with W10. They have app for WP8.1 and they hopefully will keep it.

ZuLuuuuuu

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

I am a Lumia 820 user. Mine is 3 years old but most of the 2 year old phones have been left out, as well. I think this is too short for a lifespan. I think even 3 year old phones should still receive updates. A 2.5 year old flagship device (925) is not getting any updates anymore? The only explanation is that Microsoft couldn't optimize Windows 10 Mobile CPU/memory usage so far and does not want to spend any more money on doing so in the future which is a shame.

This is what separates Microsoft and Apple. There are a lot of Apple haters here, I know, but we should accept that Apple wouldn't do such a thing ever. Even 4 year old iPhone 4s got the latest iOS. Please don't tell me "go buy an iPhone then". I like having choice and want Microsoft to do better, and criticism is the only way.

This whole thing means: if I buy a Lumia 950 today, there is no guarantee that it will get updates 2 years later. Actually the track record of Microsoft tells that it is likely that it won't get updates.

They could at least do some kind of special offer like "bring your old Lumia and get 50$-100$ discount".

iJohnnyCash

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site

I am running the insider preview on the 520, 630 and 1320 in my house, so this news makes no difference to me.
You will not receive any more new updates :)

You have already gotten the expected lifetime out of the phones.
Too many peoples likes too much WP, me also. But all can see that WP have some disadvantages (app gap etc)

One advantage was the update policy. The Microsoft has destroy that twice (7.5 and 10).
Specific in Win10 case Microsoft said that ALL phones will updated. It was not an expectations, it was words from Microsoft.

It was a Microsoft mistake.-
For me its enough ok, but I don't know how much mistakes has the ability to do anymore.
The WP community is a small community, and is more easy to destroy it.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

got to admit i am a bit confused by all this

on my 1020 in the about page it says OS build: 10.0.10586.164 version 1511

i am on the preview programme and on slow ring. is this look about right? which build is this classed as?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99