03-25-2016 03:25 PM
754 ... 2122232425 ...
tools
    My history with Windows Phone/Mobile goes back to it's beginning. I think WM 5.0. I have had Samsung Focus, HTC Touch Pro, Cingular 8125 and 8525, Lumia 900 and 1020. I was royally screwed on the flagship 900 when I found out within months it would not be upgraded to 8.0. Now, the flagship 1020. No, none of us who pay good money for these "flagships" expect to be unable to upgrade within 7 months (Lumia 900) or 2 years (Lumia 1020). For those whose brilliant contribution is "Get over it and buy a new phone", there is no getting over it when it has happened twice and you have been loyal for almost a decade. Buying another phone every two years is not an option when you are retired on a fixed income.
    I will continue to run on the threshold Insiders branch until a phone is available that equals or betters the 1020 camera. Just have to save my money. I have setup my PC and phone to install Redstone using the latest hack. I have Windows Phone SDK 8.0 on my PC and jailbroke my 1020 and installed a registry editor on the phone. Don't know if I will go that route and risk bricking my daily driver, but it is an option.
    I find this latest situation from MS amateurish at best. Certainly disappointing but not unexpected given the Lumia 900 fiasco. I am now feeling badly watching MS embarrass itself yet again, more so than angry and bitter.
    03-21-2016 08:54 AM
    What you said makes perfectly sense for most people.

The problem is that Microsoft had the stupid idea to say once that even older phones would be updated so all the haters are now here to complain :) They would have probably changed their old phone soon but they love complaining so much :D
    Did Microsoft say that "All" older phones will be updated or just "older phones would be updated? Because if it's the latter than technically Microsoft is keeping to their word as the L640 is an older phone. People just assumed. But if they said "All" then they definitely need to stop overpromising because all they're doing is giving more ammo to the haters.
    03-21-2016 08:54 AM
    Exactly my thoughts. People who bought the 950s could get stuck with a dead OS in a year or so. WP seems to be very likely to fail now, some even call it dead already. I say let's wait a few months and we'll see but I'm not giving them much chances, given the number of mad customers leaving for other platforms and dwindling market share.
    Windows 10 isn't going anywhere. Since Windows 10 on phones is picking up steam, and costs so little for MS to support (since they support Windows 10 for desktop anyway), it will not be going anywhere. It's getting more app support than Windows 8/8.1 was with more developers coming on all the time, and new app bridge tools will help with that trend. Honestly, I understand the frustration 520 owners feel, but the alternative is Android, and low end or mid-range Android phones never get updates to the next version. WP users got an upgrade from 8 to 8.1, assuming their carrier was cooperative.
    03-21-2016 09:01 AM
    New phones are not cheap, and for a lot of people their current phone works for most things they need. When Microsoft announced older phones would be moved to Windows 10 free, the people looked forward to it. Now the techs seem to be only concentrating on new phones, getting them updated, leaving the people with the older phones on hold. The new build needs to be tweaked for the older phones, so they can work too. My Nokia 520 is working with the current build, except when I upgraded my BLU WIN HD LTE to the same build, I found that the Nokia couldn't do a few things, that the BLU phone does.
    EJMDC likes this.
    03-21-2016 09:04 AM
    I completely disagree you ;)
    If your unique opinion is Windows 10 Mobile will closed, you 're completely wrong .
    Let's talking after final Redstone release
    PS: 650 it's a mid-end
    650 by the specs is low end. how can you call mid range a SD212??
    theefman likes this.
    03-21-2016 09:09 AM
    Does it really worth the update to final version? .. i have 1520 and do not have interest trying the final one because i cant straightly do it from insider preview (which means HR). Been using .164 for days, feeling good and still no intention updating to final. So, cheers guys! as long as MS support the insider preview it means that it is fine!

PS: been using inside preview since it is very very very sucks (almost the earliest build).. so i know how it feels.
    03-21-2016 09:14 AM
    My history with Windows Phone/Mobile goes back to it's beginning. I think WM 5.0. I have had Samsung Focus, HTC Touch Pro, Cingular 8125 and 8525, Lumia 900 and 1020. I was royally screwed on the flagship 900 when I found out within months it would not be upgraded to 8.0. Now, the flagship 1020. No, none of us who pay good money for these "flagships" expect to be unable to upgrade within 7 months (Lumia 900) or 2 years (Lumia 1020). For those whose brilliant contribution is "Get over it and buy a new phone", there is no getting over it when it has happened twice and you have been loyal for almost a decade. Buying another phone every two years is not an option when you are retired on a fixed income.
    I will continue to run on the threshold Insiders branch until a phone is available that equals or betters the 1020 camera. Just have to save my money. I have setup my PC and phone to install Redstone using the latest hack. I have Windows Phone SDK 8.0 on my PC and jailbroke my 1020 and installed a registry editor on the phone. Don't know if I will go that route and risk bricking my daily driver, but it is an option.
    I find this latest situation from MS amateurish at best. Certainly disappointing but not unexpected given the Lumia 900 fiasco. I am now feeling badly watching MS embarrass itself yet again, more so than angry and bitter.
    Another one here that got burned with the Lumia 900. I bought that phone only after 4 months to find out that it won't be updated to WP8. Ok, lucky for me I have managed to sell it quickly, while losing only about 30 EUR. Bought a Lumia 920, then a 925,then a 1020,930,1520,950. I've had no complaints over WP8 or WP8.1, everytime someone asked me, I used to recommend it. Not the same for 950 which was the worst I've had ever! Not because of the phone, but because of the buggy OS.
    So after being tricked with the L900, another nail in the head for me with the Surface 2 RT, so twice for me. I completely understand your point.MS cannot be trusted anymore in anything they say. They seriously lack the sense of respect for users, leadership and proper management in many departments!
    And for the ones rushing to tell me I'm wrong: feel free to say anything, the truth is the truth, and the reality is here whether you like it or not. It's pointless to start comparing with either Apple or Google as it does not matter which does what. It's about MS here that managed to embarrass themselves again and threaten the already weak user base.
    03-21-2016 09:20 AM
    650 by the specs is low end. how can you call mid range a SD212??
    Never seen a low end with amoled, 16 GB, NFC still.
    If you stop to cpu numbers, youll be better to study a little of IT fundamnetal IMHO

It's like saying the new Audi A6 2.0 TDI is worst then previous A6 2.8
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-21-2016 09:23 AM
    Never seen a low end with amoled, 16 GB, NFC still
    does not matter. what is the use of those 16gbs and NFC when your CPU is the very lowest? and the phone runs slowly? In the end it does not matter if it is called low range or midrange. I personally like the phone as it looks and the specs despite the awful CPU, but I've played with one for a few days and by all means, the OS needs a lot of work! it's buggy as it can be, lags, lots of resuming...things not seen on WP8.1 with 1GB RAM phones. This phone with WP8.1 would be a massive hit! but unfortunately it is running a buggy OS instead, which seems that MS was not able to fix for so long.
    03-21-2016 09:25 AM
    Very sad!!!
    03-21-2016 09:29 AM
    does not matter. what is the use of those 16gbs and NFC when your CPU is the very lowest? and the phone runs slowly? In the end it does not matter if it is called low range or midrange. I personally like the phone as it looks and the specs despite the awful CPU, but I've played with one for a few days and by all means, the OS needs a lot of work! it's buggy as it can be, lags, lots of resuming...things not seen on WP8.1 with 1GB RAM phones. This phone with WP8.1 would be a massive hit! but unfortunately it is running a buggy OS instead, which seems that MS was not able to fix for so long.

It very smooth and reactive, battery last one whole day (2000 mah). not a single crash and lag till now
    Ranielsyn_Sand likes this.
    03-21-2016 09:32 AM

It very smooth and reactive, battery last one whole day (2000 mah). not a single crash and lag till now
    maybe with the latest update yes, however still I find it too pricey for what it offers. Here in RO it is 177 EUR SIM free which seems too much for what it has. a price of max 150 EUR would be ok.
    Maurizio Troso likes this.
    03-21-2016 09:40 AM
    maybe with the latest update yes, however still I find it too pricey for what it offers. Here in RO it is 177 EUR SIM free which seems too much for what it has. a price of max 150 EUR would be ok.
    You're right, here in ITA Wind give it monthly fee with a grand total of 150 € in 30 months (new is 230), with a phone change option later (in Italy we got a lot of taxes on devices)
    03-21-2016 09:45 AM
    You're right, here in ITA Wind give it monthly fee with a grand total of 150 € in 30 months (new is 230), with a phone change option later (in Italy we got a lot of taxes on devices)
    Same taxes in RO...damn these EU laws :|
    03-21-2016 09:50 AM
    Naaa, here we got the storage tax (some € / GigaByte) plus 23% VAT
    03-21-2016 09:54 AM
    Scathing ZDNet article on this whole debacle. It summarizes most of the criticisms here into one article. Not kind to MS. Sometimes we get into a position something like a group of ugly girls at a sleepover party telling each other how pretty they are. The rest of the world knows better. This is ugly, no matter how hard you try to excuse it, justify it rationalize it. It is just plain ugly.
    03-21-2016 10:00 AM
    Does it really worth the update to final version? .. i have 1520 and do not have interest trying the final one because i cant straightly do it from insider preview (which means HR). Been using .164 for days, feeling good and still no intention updating to final. So, cheers guys! as long as MS support the insider preview it means that it is fine!

PS: been using inside preview since it is very very very sucks (almost the earliest build).. so i know how it feels.
    What are you talking about? You have .164, and talking about updating to final. You are already there!
    03-21-2016 10:02 AM
    Scathing article over at ZDNet. Summarizes things said here very well. We can rationalize and excuse and justify and shoot the messenger all we want to each other, the truth is that this mess is ugly and the outside world knows it.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-win...tag=TRE17cfd61
    03-21-2016 10:08 AM
    Windows 10 isn't going anywhere. Since Windows 10 on phones is picking up steam, and costs so little for MS to support (since they support Windows 10 for desktop anyway), it will not be going anywhere. It's getting more app support than Windows 8/8.1 was with more developers coming on all the time, and new app bridge tools will help with that trend.
    The only real measure of whether W10M is "picking up steam" is looking at sales numbers of new handsets; obviously marketshare numbers of the current install base are about to go down due to the upgrade not being available to about 50% of current WP users. And with regards to apps, how many really new apps are being released over WP8.1? Seems most of the apps are just W10 versions of their WP8.1 app so I don't yet see any real tangible uptick in app numbers that would indicate greater app support. And its almost a year since the app porting bridges were announced and there's been no great influx of apps there either. Plus when you consider that MS has effectively halved the target audience for developers on mobile, will we start to see some hesitation on their part going forward?

Personally, when it comes to Microsoft I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them, so I don't see any guarantee that W10M will still be around in the future, especially when the messaging from Microsoft is seemingly already starting to change regarding mobile. Microsoft's new rallying cry: Cloud first, Windows second? | ZDNet
    03-21-2016 10:11 AM
    Who cares about that buggy excuse of an OS it will take another year to be finally usable as an daily driver by which time i may consider getting a new phone, I find 8.1 to be the best Mobile OS till date, ican just use it with my thumb, the speed the intuitiveness of the ui is unmatched by any other os including ios, android and winmobile10 !
    So basically i dont care what M$ does with Win10, im just glad they wont bug my mobile to upgrade to their latest beta OS as they did on desktop!

Just to add an extra info and comparison

Compare this to Apple. The company is preparing to release iOS 9.3 to a whole raft of devices, and some of those devices are getting seriously long in the tooth. For example, take the iPhone 4S, which was released back in October 2011 and has supported five major iOS releases so far (iOS 5.0 to iOS 9.3).

Or what about the iPad 2, which was released in March 2011 and has seen six major iOS releases (iOS 4.2.1 to iOS 9.3).

also get that most of the user base is made up of fiercely loyal supporters who are in denial about the state of the platform. But what I don't understand is why Microsoft feels that it's OK to continue to disappoint those users, doubly so when promises were made.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-win...s-it-look-bad/
    03-21-2016 10:16 AM
    Hi again!

I've been reading your comments and for those (like me) thinking in changing to another platform, the main question its not the operating system per se but the app compatibility!
    That is what, in my opinion, can turn things in favor or against Microsoft! And for me, its against them!

Let me put things in perspective, if you buy an Android, midrange, will probably have Android 4.4 or 5, in some cases, but most 4.4 or inferior right? Microsoft launches updates to their Android apps, this phones will run it!
    Now, for us users of 8.1, we are unable to run Universal Apps. They have made improvements to Microsoft Maps in response to Here leaving the boat, will WP 8.1 see also that updates??
    I think that's here that resides our major grunt!
    If there was a mode that somehow allowed running Universal Apps there weren't so many disappointment in people, but in a short period, we are going to have what I call "brick phones" that will allow us to make phone calls and text message and take some fine pictures but all goodies will be inaccessible to us...

Buy a new phone. The 640 is only $30. Problem solved

Sent from mTalk
    03-21-2016 10:37 AM
    lets not forget that lumia 1020 came out in 2013, and last update was 8.1.1 denim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so, not long period of updates, and it was really expensive flagship
    rkrams and Varun Rajan like this.
    03-21-2016 11:04 AM
    So It's WP 7.8 again
    Actually worse, with windows phone 7 we at least got one last version 7.8 to help make it look like 8.0. I'd be very happy if they would release a 8.2 with the settings area cleaned up and improved action panel for my L635. Everything else in 10 they can keep.
    Varun Rajan and Vodyan like this.
    03-21-2016 11:18 AM
    I would appreciate compatibility with W10m apps for W8 at least for some time ... because If not W8.1 will be dead in 6 months or less ... :(
    Last edited by kubiaxk; 03-21-2016 at 12:13 PM.
    03-21-2016 11:55 AM
    It's very typical of Mictosoft. It reaches to 99% before giving a critical error and quits. No one understands whats that but every one says what the heck. It's there since DOS. Why should WP not follow? He he he
    theefman likes this.
    03-21-2016 12:13 PM
754 ... 2122232425 ...