03-25-2016 03:25 PM
754 ... 45678 ...
tools
    i own a 1320 and it's sad that i won't get w10 firmware update :(
    03-18-2016 09:32 AM
    That support time ran out it's 2016...how was it a lie?
    It did not "ran out". It was manufactured by delaying the OS.
    WesleyBPeres likes this.
    03-18-2016 09:36 AM
    No. Because the Title of the Verge Article doesn't correspond to what MS said in their Twitter:

"We plan to upgrade all Windows Phone 8 devices to Windows 10 in the future :)"
    03-18-2016 09:37 AM
    you left out 620.. that makes me even more sad..
    03-18-2016 09:38 AM
    Glance and autofocus worked on mine after a hard reset.
    On 920 and 1020
    If these issues were non-issues, there was no reason at all to stop 920 from getting the update. It is poor decision from MS.
    03-18-2016 09:39 AM
    Anyone else want to add to this? No? Ok, good.
    Yes. see my post above.
    The journo made something up.

But I'm out here, the whining is just too much.
    Go and become insider, and update to .164 version. It runs OK according to many.
    03-18-2016 09:40 AM
    I'm a 925 owner, and I have been expecting the push for over half a year. Can't imagine how they just abandoned these models, as they are the most popular high-end models of WP8.1 era (at least in China). Really disappointed, don't know why MS is abandoning their loyal users over and over again.
    03-18-2016 09:40 AM
    No. Because the Title of the Verge Article doesn't correspond to what MS said in their Twitter:

"We plan to upgrade all Windows Phone 8 devices to Windows 10 in the future :)"
    Just Stop!!!

win10-upgrade-630.jpg

I get it. It's more than 1 year since the first preview, so they can do this
    pericle and theefman like this.
    03-18-2016 09:51 AM
    What really amazes me is when people say they gonna switch platform because MS won't upgrade their phone to Win10. If you want Win10 so bad on your phone why don't you buy a new phone with Win10 instead of a new android phone or iphone?
    Easy: the fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me argument.

Furthermore, Apple has a history of continuing to update, with cutdown versions of the OS, even their old iPhone 4S devices, so that modern apps still work on them. Ditto Android----most OEMs don't bother updating old Android devices, but Android app developers, the majority of them, build their applications to work on even some of the earliest versions of Android.
    03-18-2016 09:53 AM
    Same feelings with my 925
    Originally posted by Bagzton
    I feel really heart broken seriously. My 920 has very good specs than some of the devices listed for the upgrade. Not to mention that it's doing well on build .164 at the moment.
    03-18-2016 09:54 AM
    My two brothers and I have been Lumia 920 owners for a couple years. My dad and step-mom both use a 1020. My older brother only recently asked me about the possibility of getting Windows 10 on his phone because his fianc got him a Garmin Vivofit for Christmas, and the Garmin Connect app only runs on Windows 10, not WP8.1.

He started with build 10586.122 and upgraded to 10586.164 a few days later, but unfortunately, his Lumia 920 had terrible battery performance with Windows 10 Insider preview. I've been using a 640 XL on Windows 10 for 4 months, but I switched back to my Lumia 920 to see if I could duplicate the issues he was having, but mine ran just fine. After about a week of frustration, I got him a 640 and set it up on the Insider preview, and he is much happier with the performance of just the battery alone.

After resetting back to the official WP8.1 releases, I just sold both of these 920's on eBay this past weekend. My parents have no idea that they are missing out on a potential upgrade for their 1020's, and my younger brother won't care about making any changes to his phone until this one stops working and he's forced to get a new one. Out of four Lumia x20 devices in my family that were being used as daily drivers up until this week,
    Good to hear you and your family are having a good experience ;) bar a few hiccups.

I can honestly say that this decision by Microsoft has not left anyone upset.

Three just simply don't know or care about Windows 10, and the other got a better phone experience and sold a 3 year old phone for more than he paid for its replacement.
    Anecdotal evidence is not reflective of a wider picture :) and there are plenty who are pretty upset.
    03-18-2016 09:55 AM
    What phone do you have? Can you get the latest Insider build on it? Does it work good? If YES, then you have Windows 10 on it. Stop ranting/bashing/whining for a NON-existing problem.

10586.164 will NOT be the last Insider update available for unsupported phones. ALL 10586 future builds will be available to ALL Insider devices.

So you have Windows 10 on your Lumia 1020/1320/920/928/whatever....

Where is the problem you all are complaining about?
    03-18-2016 09:56 AM
    As far as phones from 2012 and 2013 go, the support lifespan does not mean that your phone will get any new software released in that time. If your phone is guaranteed support for 36 months, that means MS will continue to release updates to make sure your phone's software (that it was released with) works for 36 months. That doesn't mean that if they create a new software they will go to the trouble of making an official version and flight it to your device.

For those of you who think that your 3 year old device not getting the next version of Windows is reason to go to Android... fine, go. But remember that many Android phones are released within MONTHS of a new version of Android, and NEVER get the upgrade. Usually only the flagships get upgrades, it's dependent on carrier, and it takes months after the version is released by Google. Most of them only get the next year's upgrade, then within 2 years of buying your flagship phone (500+ dollars) you're on an old version.
    03-18-2016 09:57 AM
    It's not really about raw perfomance, it's because they saw way too much problems from the previews, and many of them coming because old (albeit partially powerful) hardware, esp. the chipsets. They would have been forced to solve the problems with the manufacturer of said hardware.
    So they pulled the plug, as they didn't see a chance to take these phones with them on the W10 journey.
    It's sad for many, mee too, but I can accept it and bet that it is a good decision for the future.
    Some insights here, in German:
    Kein Windows 10 Mobile fr ltere Lumias: Einige Grnde und Erklrungen - Dr. Windows
    Indeed. What I see people all around here failing to realize is that to get their older phones to work with the previews, they essentially *had* to do hard resets to get the performance and stability to be par. Even then, there are still people complaining about issues.

MS made a quality assurance decision: they likely couldn't get Windows 10 reliably working on most of the old phones on first try and couldn't insure they were close, either. QA was probably below tolerance.

Regardless, this doesn't preclude some of the older devices getting official Windows 10 updates in the future.
    03-18-2016 09:58 AM
    After reading the comments here, I'm baffled. Apple supports an iPhone for several years...forgetting to tell you how the latest version of iOS will run on your iPhone 4S. ;( If you buy an Android device, you're lucky to get ANY update whatsoever...certainly no more than one or two carrier-supported updates. Would you rather Microsoft release the update for your device regardless of how it performs just so you can say you have it?

There's a reason mobile technology is on a two-year upgrade cycle. This is not a PC. Whether you like it or not, agree with it or care at all, mobile technology changes so much over the course of two years that abandoning support for a two-year old device should be standard operating procedure.

Ask a iPhone 4S or 5 user how the latest version of iOS and all of it's advertised features are working for them. Then, please stop whining about how Microsoft should try to shoehorn the brand new version of Windows 10 Mobile onto your four- or five-year-old phone.
    03-18-2016 10:00 AM

For those of you who think that your 3 year old device not getting the next version of Windows is reason to go to Android... fine, go. But remember that many Android phones are released within MONTHS of a new version of Android, and NEVER get the upgrade. Usually only the flagships get upgrades, it's dependent on carrier, and it takes months after the version is released by Google. Most of them only get the next year's upgrade, then within 2 years of buying your flagship phone (500+ dollars) you're on an old version.
    Again, you're missing the point: it isn't about OS upgrades per se.
    It's about app compatibility.

Android apps are built to be backwards compatible to earlier versions of Android, unlike Windows mobile apps, which aren't. Can you point out any Windows 10 Universal phone apps that can run on Windows Phone 8 and even 7?

No. But most Android apps can run on devices running on Gingerbread and even Cupcake, which is almost four-five years ago.

And Apple even keeps the iPhone 4S updated enough so that most modern iOS applications run fine on those devices.
    OmniusOne likes this.
    03-18-2016 10:01 AM
    I have a Lumia 920. By the time I first purchased it, it was a display unit on a store and was unused for years so I got a good deal on that. It had the Windows Phone 8.0 installed and was preloaded with Nokia's old ringtones like the Kick.
    The phone was shipped with a primitive OS which displayed only one wide tile per row. The icons and displayed elements were too big so the hardware could bear it without failing.
    It was a flagship, but in the year 2012.
    Maybe if Microsoft were to focus on downscaling the Windows 10 Mobile for these flagships of yesteryear, that would be nice. But they didn't, and I don't care too much about it at this point. I also don't think that this move by Microsoft was a trade trick to get people to buy newer phones. Because Microsoft doesn't intend to make profit from the devices they offer now. Look at how little they advertise them and make partnerships with carriers. They just want to improve the software by keeping it restricted to capable and new devices and showcase how Windows' Mobile performs better. They couldn't leave a decent enough impression about the platform by rolling it out to older devices. They need to keep it running fluent so more people would be interested and more OEMs would choose the platform.
    03-18-2016 10:05 AM
    my lumia 720 works just fine to qualify for the use as daily driver. the only problem i faced was that mobile hotspot doesn't work under lock screen else everthing is working good. without problem in build .164. bahut dukh hua ki official update nahi mil rahi hai iss phone ko.
    03-18-2016 10:06 AM
    I do not feel betrayed, I feel sorry for MS, MS is pioneer in many fields, MS office...PC operating system...XBOX, so many good products...but how can such a big company screw up with their future??? future of business is smart phone..future of consumer phone is smart phone...and MS screwd their future, they had their money they have their engineers still they lost the ground and even after 4,5 years they are not able to build an ecosystem...Xiaomi all ready has developed their ecosystem...xiaomi, Le, one plus huawei, lenovo,oppo all companies can make phones at a cheaper price...but MS cant...in 2016, who will buy lumia 650 with OUTDATE SPECIFICATION AND 1 GB RAM? in that range any one buy xiaomi or one plus x....so why will i stay loyal??is MS appreciating my loyality??is MS giving me a 950 at 250$ because I am using lumia 720 for 3 years??no..MS strategy is something else...i cant afford i phone, i cant afford 950 either...but i need a phone with good camera, battery, apps...so what is my option??Xiaomi mi 5 is my option..n i think i will buy it...if MS next month releases some new lumia with 300$ price tag in india with mi 5 specification, then i promise i will buy that...
    03-18-2016 10:06 AM
    what is your OS? win 10 or win 8.1?
    03-18-2016 10:08 AM
    Anecdotal evidence is not reflective of a wider picture :) and there are plenty who are pretty upset.
    In the context of the original post, I thought it was clear that I was specifically referring to my family not being upset. Since you quoted only half the statement and removed that context, I've edited my original post for clarity.
    It's sad for the devices that only have 512MB RAM, the W10 upgrade path is over. However, the story for x20 devices with 1GB RAM is not over yet. We've only had the first wave of eligible devices announced, there's still some hope and we're forgetting that there's also quite a number of non-Lumias still in the mix. I had forgotten how many other native WP8.1 phones there are out there. Check out this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ne_8.1_devices

Anyway, for now, there is still a path. Get the Insider Program installed before they withdraw it from non-eligible 8.1 devices altogether. You can have the latest W10 build but unsupported going forward. It's not perfect but it's something.

If you're not keen on spending big sums on a new W10 device, then consider buying a pre-owned device that is now confirmed on the upgrade list.
    They should update Lumia 925 :(
    Raylz likes this.
    03-18-2016 10:10 AM
    It's sad for the devices that only have 512MB RAM, the W10 upgrade path is over. However, the story for x20 devices with 1GB RAM is not over yet. We've only had the first wave of eligible devices announced, there's still some hope and we're forgetting that there's also quite a number of non-Lumias still in the mix. I had forgotten how many other native WP8.1 phones there are out there. Check out this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ne_8.1_devices

Anyway, for now, there is still a path. Get the Insider Program installed before they withdraw it from non-eligible 8.1 devices altogether. You can have the latest W10 build but unsupported going forward. It's not perfect but it's something.

If you're not keen on spending big sums on a new W10 device, then consider buying a pre-owned device that is now confirmed on the upgrade list.
    (Shrug) I'm assuming, with this move, that Microsoft is probably fully aware that they're going to lose a big part of the Windows phone installed user base. Let's be generous, and assume that half of all current WP8.1 device owners upgrade to a W10 mobile device, that downshifts the worldwide market share to just under 1% of all smartphone users.

App development is probably going to suffer, even more than it has already.
    Jason Rosenthal and theefman like this.
    03-18-2016 10:15 AM
    (Shrug) I'm assuming, with this move, that Microsoft is probably fully aware that they're going to lose a big part of the Windows phone installed user base. Let's be generous, and assume that half of all current WP8.1 device owners upgrade to a W10 mobile device, that downshifts the worldwide market share to just under 1% of all smartphone users.

App development is probably going to suffer, even more than it has already.
    It remains to be seen whether the app development community will care a jot over this move. I seriously doubt that they were waiting for all these devices to be upgraded before investing in UWP. The advantages of UWP go far beyond users upgrading from WP8.1. But Microsoft will likely not be impacted since most of their services are now fully provided for on the other platforms anyway.
    03-18-2016 10:28 AM
754 ... 45678 ...