The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-25-2016 03:25 PM
754 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    Call me a liar if you want but Lumia 1320 INDEED has a SD400. My source: https://www.qualcomm.com/products/sn...processors/400
    cmon man...its L1320...realeased in 2012...no SD400.... dual core @1.7Ghz.
    here you can see, open ur eyes
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=9mmhR77r
    03-18-2016 03:12 PM
    This move by Microsoft means I need to ignore UWP and use the obsolete development environment if I want to get more the 50% of the Microsoft phones. So why even start?

Starting over in 2016 after the smartphone golden age has likely peaked is not likely a wise move in my opinion. I will be watching build, but I suspect there will be more focus on xarmin and developing for the more stable leading platforms.
    Exactly my thinking. My pet theory is that this is, in effect, Microsoft pulling the plug on phones, without them having to come out and state it.
    What else can it be, when you hard break with over half of the installed user base of your mobile platform?
    03-18-2016 03:13 PM
    I believe everyone has read, none has understood, because they do not want to understand!
    03-18-2016 03:14 PM
    cmon man...its L1320...realeased in 2012...no SD400.... dual core @1.7Ghz.
    here you can see, open ur eyes
    Nokia Lumia 1320 - Microsoft - India
    Lumia 1320 does have a snapdragon 400 cpu. I own the lumia 1320 and i know what i'm talking about. Lumia 1320 was released on october 2013.But your talking doesn't really help the device to get the windows 10 update!
    KRDROIDD likes this.
    03-18-2016 03:20 PM
    Don't bother. Nadella has a history of sacking "testers." So good job for the feedback so far. Our duty is done.
    03-18-2016 03:20 PM
    GIVE US AT LEAST GDR2! There was a suggestion page; may we can start something there? Or maybe someone can ask Gabe Aul via Twitter? I dont have twitter. GDR2 would be compromis
    Tom Snyder and Ranielsyn_Sand like this.
    03-18-2016 03:29 PM
    C'mon, stop the lies. Window Phone fans have championed underpowered devices just like iPhone users, commonly stating, "The OS doesn't need the extra horsepower". Windows Phones are no more likely to be updated than Android devices (I take it you don't own an Icon or 1320). Unless you are sideloading pirated apps or using a third party app store, you aren't going to get a virus on your Android device.

Everyone is free to stay or leave, and while there are legitimate drawbacks to moving to iOS or Android, like the lack of WPs start screen, you do gain things like app support and frequent flagship device upgradability.
    Stagefright: Millions of Android devices at risk from new exploit (Wired UK)
    New Android exploit can hack any handset in one shot
    Latest Android phones hijacked with tidy one-stop-Chrome-pop ? The Register
    https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabi...e-Android.html
    I could go on but I think you get my point
    03-18-2016 03:35 PM
    "I shouldn't have send them this detailed bad feedback about my device -.-"
    these were my thoughts exactly ;)
    OmniusOne likes this.
    03-18-2016 03:52 PM
    "I shouldn't have send them this detailed bad feedback about my device -.-"
    these were my thoughts exactly ;)
    I think that, generally, more people tend to go on and give negative feedback, and going by what we see here, a lot is a bit lame. I didn't but, now, I'm stuck with the result.
    03-18-2016 03:58 PM
    I am running the insider preview on the 520, 630 and 1320 in my house, so this news makes no difference to me.
    Tom Snyder and PepperdotNet like this.
    03-18-2016 03:58 PM
    No argument there. Major developers are likely going to do what Microsoft did and build the apps optimized for desktop or large tablets and convert them to mobile as an afterthought or if at all.
    The result is what you see in Microsoft's own apps in Windows 10 Mobile. Navigation isn't as good as before; identical apps are more resource intensive and harder to code; long delays in the development cycle to test all screens. Similar versions of Microsoft own apps are running better on competing platforms partly because the multi-screen complexity isn't there.
    It sounds negative, but that is what I observed to be true so far. BTW, I don't own one of the above phones. I'm a developer specializing in line of business apps using xaml who is interested in mobile apps. This move by Microsoft means I need to ignore UWP and use the obsolete development environment if I want to get more the 50% of the Microsoft phones. So why even start?
    Most of the popular apps are basically photo or thought sharing apps, news readers, video playback apps, or web site conversions. All of which a 520 can easily handle. You shouldn't need to buy a new phone unless you expect to use a new feature that requires it or you crack the screen.
    Starting over in 2016 after the smartphone golden age has likely peaked is not likely a wise move in my opinion. I will be watching build, but I suspect there will be more focus on xarmin and developing for the more stable leading platforms.
    In terms of development as an afterthought. I believe interfaces are what will dictate how well apps work on all devices. There will be savings in development resources but then more resources need to be put into the UI. You can have a very well thought out UI that works on everything perfectly. Or you can create separate UI elements for each device. So really that's a big focus for Microsoft as well. But continuum is the big motivator to put the effort in. Why? Because Microsoft has revealed their plans to a lot of big companies. And if continuum can actually pull it off, we are talking the next big wave of not phones but computers. And here's the brilliance behind it. First it will be all PC OEMs selling these things in possibly the PC section like current 2-in-1's. So you put these in Best buy, Walmart, whoever sells pc's. So if they do gain some traction, phone companies will start eyeing them. And possibly you now get exposure from phone companies and phone kiosks. So you're really putting your device in both markets.

This is a huge thing really. And MS really needs to push it fast and get in there quickly. And they have to do it right as well. The insider program is a big part of it. And insiders with continuum are likely getting priority. These are the people that want both experiences. The target audience.

So that's why I think there's some motivation to do your apps right. But that's my 2 cents.
    03-18-2016 04:03 PM
    Actually I think this one is MUCH different.

You have already gotten the expected lifetime out of the phones.
    I agree it's different and I think it's understandable why three year old phones won't be ugpraded. I think that some of the justified anger, though, is their original statement that all Windows 8 phones would be upgradable to 10. They backtracked that some after the fact, but that initial promise was made.
    03-18-2016 04:09 PM
    Nop, it has a SD400, not a S4. Google it.
    Seems you guys are right https://www.qualcomm.com/products/sn...kia-lumia-1320, and on the surface the differentiator seems to be that the 1320 has a dual core SD400 @ 1.7GHz while the other SD400 powered W10M approved devices have the quad core @ 1.2GHz, Guess only Microsoft themselves can give the definitive answer on this.
    03-18-2016 04:18 PM
    In terms of development as an afterthought. I believe interfaces are what will dictate how well apps work on all devices. There will be savings in development resources but then more resources need to be put into the UI. You can have a very well thought out UI that works on everything perfectly. Or you can create separate UI elements for each device. So really that's a big focus for Microsoft as well. But continuum is the big motivator to put the effort in. Why? Because Microsoft has revealed their plans to a lot of big companies. And if continuum can actually pull it off, we are talking the next big wave of not phones but computers. And here's the brilliance behind it. First it will be all PC OEMs selling these things in possibly the PC section like current 2-in-1's. So you put these in Best buy, Walmart, whoever sells pc's. So if they do gain some traction, phone companies will start eyeing them. And possibly you now get exposure from phone companies and phone kiosks. So you're really putting your device in both markets.

This is a huge thing really. And MS really needs to push it fast and get in there quickly. And they have to do it right as well. The insider program is a big part of it. And insiders with continuum are likely getting priority. These are the people that want both experiences. The target audience.

So that's why I think there's some motivation to do your apps right. But that's my 2 cents.
    Continuum sounds cool on paper, but you need the apps written for it - the one killer app I would actually use under continuum I doubt would never get ported to it .. Scrivener.

I lost track ... did they ever port the RDP app to be continuum? I know it wasn't to begin with.
    03-18-2016 04:23 PM
    I agree it's different and I think it's understandable why three year old phones won't be ugpraded. I think that some of the justified anger, though, is their original statement that all Windows 8 phones would be upgradable to 10. They backtracked that some after the fact, but that initial promise was made.
    Yup - it's like windows phone 7 again .. shame on me for getting burned .. again!! .. not going to happen a third though..
    03-18-2016 04:25 PM
    What they should have said is "We will TRY to get all phones on windows 10".
    03-18-2016 04:38 PM
    Yup - it's like windows phone 7 again .. shame on me for getting burned .. again!! .. not going to happen a third though..
    Look at some of the Android phones
    some are still getting released now with 4.4
    never to be updated let alone 3 year old phones
    window phones.
    I also have a HTC 8X will will probably never get W10
    but fully understand the situation
    have a L830 as my main phone though
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-18-2016 04:43 PM
    Continuum sounds cool on paper, but you need the apps written for it - the one killer app I would actually use under continuum I doubt would never get ported to it .. Scrivener.

I lost track ... did they ever port the RDP app to be continuum? I know it wasn't to begin with.
    Of course you need apps. And like I said this is the big motivator for developers. That's why you are seeing apps coming out recently that actually support it. They don't have to add the support. But there's a reason they are. A lot of big developers also want to get early data from users on making their apps better. These are the guys that know of the long term plans. And that's why you are seeing them. The 950/XL is the first iteration as well. They know the limitations they know what improvements hardware needs. There's also going to be some big news regarding project centennial as they have been working with some big developers on it apparently. This has a huge potential. And it can also trigger a lot more innovation. Your phone doesn't necessarily have to look like a typical phone. OEMs could test different designs that work well. It's a big market.

Oh yes RDP app works on continuum. You can see continuum thread as people add apps they come across that support it. It probably needs the update for latest twitter and some others that came out.
    03-18-2016 04:53 PM
    window phones.
    I also have a HTC 8X will will probably never get W10
    but fully understand the situation
    have a L830 as my main phone though
    Except that, most new Android apps are built to work on older devices even earlier than 4.4.
    Not so with Windows phones, where you'll be stuck only with the apps built for W8.1
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-18-2016 04:56 PM
    Except that, most new Android apps are built to work on older devices even earlier than 4.4.
    Not so with Windows phones, where you'll be stuck only with the apps built for W8.1
    Yah but at least if this happens on windows phone 8.1 (link) So little users will be affected that no one will care.

275 million Android phones imperiled by new code-execution exploit | Ars Technica
    03-18-2016 05:08 PM
    L1320 has SD400
    gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_1320-5791.php
    03-18-2016 05:24 PM
    window phones.
    but on an android 4.4 device u can use latest Microsoft services and apps...you cant do this today on a windows phone 8.1 device....the missing update on windows is far more a problem than on android
    Last edited by Wurstsalat; 03-18-2016 at 06:29 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-18-2016 05:25 PM
    L1320 has a SD400 and you can check on gsmarena . com/nokia_lumia_1320-5791.php
    03-18-2016 05:25 PM
    Many well known apps support Android 4.0 and iOS 7, so users of iPhone 4 or never updated Samsung Galaxy SIII still have the exact same apps as those using iPhone 6s or Samsung Galaxy S7.
    Tien-Lin Chang likes this.
    03-18-2016 05:42 PM
    I thought the same thing...I own a 925 with the Insider Preview and it runs fine, except for the bugs. You'd think with more work and updates it could be made to run just as well, if not better, than WP8.1.

This smacks of getting us to buy newer phones. Understandable in a way (the 925 was released nearly 3 years ago), but quite frankly unless the HP Elite X3 turns out to be a miraculous bargain then the Samsung S7 is beckoning :S
    03-18-2016 05:54 PM
754 ... 7891011 ...