Lumia 520, 720, 820, 920, 1020, 1320 (x20 series) Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520, 720, 920, 1020, 1320 Owners

For those of you who think that your 3 year old device not getting the next version of Windows is reason to go to Android... fine, go. But remember that many Android phones are released within MONTHS of a new version of Android, and NEVER get the upgrade. Usually only the flagships get upgrades, it's dependent on carrier, and it takes months after the version is released by Google. Most of them only get the next year's upgrade, then within 2 years of buying your flagship phone (500+ dollars) you're on an old version.

Again, you're missing the point: it isn't about OS upgrades per se.
It's about app compatibility.

Android apps are built to be backwards compatible to earlier versions of Android, unlike Windows mobile apps, which aren't. Can you point out any Windows 10 Universal phone apps that can run on Windows Phone 8 and even 7?

No. But most Android apps can run on devices running on Gingerbread and even Cupcake, which is almost four-five years ago.

And Apple even keeps the iPhone 4S updated enough so that most modern iOS applications run fine on those devices.

omerfbingol

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I have a Lumia 920. By the time I first purchased it, it was a display unit on a store and was unused for years so I got a good deal on that. It had the Windows Phone 8.0 installed and was preloaded with Nokia's old ringtones like the Kick.
The phone was shipped with a primitive OS which displayed only one wide tile per row. The icons and displayed elements were too big so the hardware could bear it without failing.
It was a flagship, but in the year 2012.
Maybe if Microsoft were to focus on downscaling the Windows 10 Mobile for these flagships of yesteryear, that would be nice. But they didn't, and I don't care too much about it at this point. I also don't think that this move by Microsoft was a trade trick to get people to buy newer phones. Because Microsoft doesn't intend to make profit from the devices they offer now. Look at how little they advertise them and make partnerships with carriers. They just want to improve the software by keeping it restricted to capable and new devices and showcase how Windows' Mobile performs better. They couldn't leave a decent enough impression about the platform by rolling it out to older devices. They need to keep it running fluent so more people would be interested and more OEMs would choose the platform.

madgunner

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site

my lumia 720 works just fine to qualify for the use as daily driver. the only problem i faced was that mobile hotspot doesn't work under lock screen else everthing is working good. without problem in build .164. bahut dukh hua ki official update nahi mil rahi hai iss phone ko.

Saikat Halder

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site

I do not feel betrayed, I feel sorry for MS, MS is pioneer in many fields, MS office...PC operating system...XBOX, so many good products...but how can such a big company screw up with their future??? future of business is smart phone..future of consumer phone is smart phone...and MS screwd their future, they had their money they have their engineers still they lost the ground and even after 4,5 years they are not able to build an ecosystem...Xiaomi all ready has developed their ecosystem...xiaomi, Le, one plus huawei, lenovo,oppo all companies can make phones at a cheaper price...but MS cant...in 2016, who will buy lumia 650 with OUTDATE SPECIFICATION AND 1 GB RAM? in that range any one buy xiaomi or one plus x....so why will i stay loyal??is MS appreciating my loyality??is MS giving me a 950 at 250$ because I am using lumia 720 for 3 years??no..MS strategy is something else...i cant afford i phone, i cant afford 950 either...but i need a phone with good camera, battery, apps...so what is my option??Xiaomi mi 5 is my option..n i think i will buy it...if MS next month releases some new lumia with 300$ price tag in india with mi 5 specification, then i promise i will buy that...

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site

Anecdotal evidence is not reflective of a wider picture :) and there are plenty who are pretty upset.
In the context of the original post, I thought it was clear that I was specifically referring to my family not being upset. Since you quoted only half the statement and removed that context, I've edited my original post for clarity.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

It's sad for the devices that only have 512MB RAM, the W10 upgrade path is over. However, the story for x20 devices with 1GB RAM is not over yet. We've only had the first wave of eligible devices announced, there's still some hope and we're forgetting that there's also quite a number of non-Lumias still in the mix. I had forgotten how many other native WP8.1 phones there are out there. Check out this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Windows_Phone_8.1_devices

Anyway, for now, there is still a path. Get the Insider Program installed before they withdraw it from non-eligible 8.1 devices altogether. You can have the latest W10 build but unsupported going forward. It's not perfect but it's something.

If you're not keen on spending big sums on a new W10 device, then consider buying a pre-owned device that is now confirmed on the upgrade list.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site

It's sad for the devices that only have 512MB RAM, the W10 upgrade path is over. However, the story for x20 devices with 1GB RAM is not over yet. We've only had the first wave of eligible devices announced, there's still some hope and we're forgetting that there's also quite a number of non-Lumias still in the mix. I had forgotten how many other native WP8.1 phones there are out there. Check out this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Windows_Phone_8.1_devices

Anyway, for now, there is still a path. Get the Insider Program installed before they withdraw it from non-eligible 8.1 devices altogether. You can have the latest W10 build but unsupported going forward. It's not perfect but it's something.

If you're not keen on spending big sums on a new W10 device, then consider buying a pre-owned device that is now confirmed on the upgrade list.

(Shrug) I'm assuming, with this move, that Microsoft is probably fully aware that they're going to lose a big part of the Windows phone installed user base. Let's be generous, and assume that half of all current WP8.1 device owners upgrade to a W10 mobile device, that downshifts the worldwide market share to just under 1% of all smartphone users.

App development is probably going to suffer, even more than it has already.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

(Shrug) I'm assuming, with this move, that Microsoft is probably fully aware that they're going to lose a big part of the Windows phone installed user base. Let's be generous, and assume that half of all current WP8.1 device owners upgrade to a W10 mobile device, that downshifts the worldwide market share to just under 1% of all smartphone users.

App development is probably going to suffer, even more than it has already.

It remains to be seen whether the app development community will care a jot over this move. I seriously doubt that they were waiting for all these devices to be upgraded before investing in UWP. The advantages of UWP go far beyond users upgrading from WP8.1. But Microsoft will likely not be impacted since most of their services are now fully provided for on the other platforms anyway.

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site

It's sad for the devices that only have 512MB RAM, the W10 upgrade path is over.
What is even more sad is that except for maybe the contunumim feature that is currently unique to the 950, there is no new feature in W10 that I know of that requires more memory or better hardware to support.

sulistyarso

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

Windows phone 8.1+large background = windows 10 mobile XD. What i miss from windows 10 mobile is one hand mode, expandable notif, and background maybe. Otheers, windows phone 8.1 better than windows 10 mobile on my720.

sulistyarso

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

I still remember ms bring notif center to windows phone 8.1. But i dont see it to be continue.

Schnarky

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site

I'll stay with my Lumia 1020 running 10586.164 until a WM10 phone is released with a camera as good or better than the 1020. Wife loves her 1020 on 8.1 and will not update to 10. 1020 works fine on 10586. Thinking late Summer to early Fall for such a phone.

Camera comparisons show that the 950's camera takes photos that are just as good as the 1020, and videos are even better due to the newer stabilization.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site

It remains to be seen whether the app development community will care a jot over this move. I seriously doubt that they were waiting for all these devices to be upgraded before investing in UWP. The advantages of UWP go far beyond users upgrading from WP8.1. But Microsoft will likely not be impacted since most of their services are now fully provided for on the other platforms anyway.

Well, that's what I was trying to say: it looks like Microsoft, going forward is going all in with app development on all platforms, and looking to break with WP8.1 users.
The amount of users on W10 mobile is so negligible, it's probably on par with the Symbian/Firefox OS and Blackberry user base.

The way forward, it seems, is with Microsoft apps on Android and iOS, since their own phone community is going to shrink to under 1% of all mobile users.

Emanuel Manole

May 29, 2014
Visit site

What phone do you have? Can you get the latest Insider build on it? Does it work good? If YES, then you have Windows 10 on it. Stop ranting/bashing/whining for a NON-existing problem.

10586.164 will NOT be the last Insider update available for unsupported phones. ALL 10586 future builds will be available to ALL Insider devices.

So you have Windows 10 on your Lumia 1020/1320/920/928/whatever....

Where is the problem you all are complaining about?

will it be any 10586? How do you know ?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

In the context of the original post, I thought it was clear that I was specifically referring to my family not being upset. Since you quoted only half the statement and removed that context, I've edited my original post for clarity.

To me it was however in the wider picture it wasn't as it read as general statement - you can see the difference from "anyone in my family upset" when compared to "anyone upset". <- The latter is a broad brush :) whereas the former is not as it is confined to within your personal sphere :winktongue:.

Furthermore, some people who do not speak English as their first language particularly the older generation sometimes have a little difficulty when it comes to understanding the context of a phrase of words.

Some background:
I teach basic IT for free in my neighbourhood and it is more than evident that those who are deemed not going to do well in school are better visual and kinesthetic learners as opposed just auditory (lecture + white board copy and paste learning).

In regards to removing the context, I didn't as your post was only broken into (parsed into) two sections and no words were replaced or your sentence structure altered - for instance the comma you put in wasn't replaced by a full stop - if I was to alter your words or sentence structure - then that would be taking things out of context :winktongue:).

eryvile

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site

You can repeat it thousend times, but....Show me a quote where they said this.
@Lumia on Twitter on November 11th 2014 at 12:10pm (sorry, don't have enough posts to post the link):
"@_Y06_ There will be Windows 10 upgrades for all Lumia Windows Phone 8 devices :) And we will release new Windows 10 models in the future!"

I don't mind using WP8.1 on my Lumia 925, it runs fine (ok, mail is crap, skype notifications is a hit and miss, WhatsApp not the best experience, ...), my main concern is the apps. As an app developer, I have two choices: stay WP 8 compatible, therefore have a larger user base but miss all the cool stuff of Win 10 universal apps (and become outdated). Or move to Win 10 and lose what, 50%? of my userbase and potential revenue? With the single digit market share of Windows Phone/Windows Mobile, either is not very attractive...

If Microsoft would at least start to roll out GDR2 to all devices that won't get W10M, that would alleviate the pain.

slooksterpsv

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

The 920, 1020 and 1320 shocks me. They have more than ample specs to run Windows 10 it seems like. Granted they are approx 3-4 years old, but still. =( The Alcatel is a wonderful phone you guys. Look into it ($150 off contract on T-Mobile, otherwise its like $8 a month I think on top of your bill).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire