Lumia 520, 720, 820, 920, 1020, 1320 (x20 series) Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520, 720, 920, 1020, 1320 Owners

This move by Microsoft means I need to ignore UWP and use the obsolete development environment if I want to get more the 50% of the Microsoft phones. So why even start?

Starting over in 2016 after the smartphone golden age has likely peaked is not likely a wise move in my opinion. I will be watching build, but I suspect there will be more focus on xarmin and developing for the more stable leading platforms.

Exactly my thinking. My pet theory is that this is, in effect, Microsoft pulling the plug on phones, without them having to come out and state it.
What else can it be, when you hard break with over half of the installed user base of your mobile platform?

Emanuel Manole

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520, 720, 920, 1020 owners

cmon man...its L1320...realeased in 2012...no SD400.... dual core @1.7Ghz.
here you can see, open ur eyes
Nokia Lumia 1320 - Microsoft - India

Lumia 1320 does have a snapdragon 400 cpu. I own the lumia 1320 and i know what i'm talking about. Lumia 1320 was released on october 2013.But your talking doesn't really help the device to get the windows 10 update!

vezycash

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site

Don't bother. Nadella has a history of sacking "testers." So good job for the feedback so far. Our duty is done.

Genc85

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site

GIVE US AT LEAST GDR2! There was a suggestion page; may we can start something there? Or maybe someone can ask Gabe Aul via Twitter? I dont have twitter. GDR2 would be compromis

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

C'mon, stop the lies. Window Phone fans have championed underpowered devices just like iPhone users, commonly stating, "The OS doesn't need the extra horsepower". Windows Phones are no more likely to be updated than Android devices (I take it you don't own an Icon or 1320). Unless you are sideloading pirated apps or using a third party app store, you aren't going to get a virus on your Android device.

Everyone is free to stay or leave, and while there are legitimate drawbacks to moving to iOS or Android, like the lack of WPs start screen, you do gain things like app support and frequent flagship device upgradability.

Stagefright: Millions of Android devices at risk from new exploit (Wired UK)
New Android exploit can hack any handset in one shot
Latest Android phones hijacked with tidy one-stop-Chrome-pop ? The Register
https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-1224/product_id-19997/Google-Android.html
I could go on but I think you get my point

mkKozak

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site

"I shouldn't have send them this detailed bad feedback about my device -.-"
these were my thoughts exactly ;)

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

"I shouldn't have send them this detailed bad feedback about my device -.-"
these were my thoughts exactly ;)

I think that, generally, more people tend to go on and give negative feedback, and going by what we see here, a lot is a bit lame. I didn't but, now, I'm stuck with the result.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I am running the insider preview on the 520, 630 and 1320 in my house, so this news makes no difference to me.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

No argument there. Major developers are likely going to do what Microsoft did and build the apps optimized for desktop or large tablets and convert them to mobile as an afterthought or if at all.
The result is what you see in Microsoft's own apps in Windows 10 Mobile. Navigation isn't as good as before; identical apps are more resource intensive and harder to code; long delays in the development cycle to test all screens. Similar versions of Microsoft own apps are running better on competing platforms partly because the multi-screen complexity isn't there.
It sounds negative, but that is what I observed to be true so far. BTW, I don't own one of the above phones. I'm a developer specializing in line of business apps using xaml who is interested in mobile apps. This move by Microsoft means I need to ignore UWP and use the obsolete development environment if I want to get more the 50% of the Microsoft phones. So why even start?
Most of the popular apps are basically photo or thought sharing apps, news readers, video playback apps, or web site conversions. All of which a 520 can easily handle. You shouldn't need to buy a new phone unless you expect to use a new feature that requires it or you crack the screen.
Starting over in 2016 after the smartphone golden age has likely peaked is not likely a wise move in my opinion. I will be watching build, but I suspect there will be more focus on xarmin and developing for the more stable leading platforms.

In terms of development as an afterthought. I believe interfaces are what will dictate how well apps work on all devices. There will be savings in development resources but then more resources need to be put into the UI. You can have a very well thought out UI that works on everything perfectly. Or you can create separate UI elements for each device. So really that's a big focus for Microsoft as well. But continuum is the big motivator to put the effort in. Why? Because Microsoft has revealed their plans to a lot of big companies. And if continuum can actually pull it off, we are talking the next big wave of not phones but computers. And here's the brilliance behind it. First it will be all PC OEMs selling these things in possibly the PC section like current 2-in-1's. So you put these in Best buy, Walmart, whoever sells pc's. So if they do gain some traction, phone companies will start eyeing them. And possibly you now get exposure from phone companies and phone kiosks. So you're really putting your device in both markets.

This is a huge thing really. And MS really needs to push it fast and get in there quickly. And they have to do it right as well. The insider program is a big part of it. And insiders with continuum are likely getting priority. These are the people that want both experiences. The target audience.

So that's why I think there's some motivation to do your apps right. But that's my 2 cents.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

Actually I think this one is MUCH different.

You have already gotten the expected lifetime out of the phones.

I agree it's different and I think it's understandable why three year old phones won't be ugpraded. I think that some of the justified anger, though, is their original statement that all Windows 8 phones would be upgradable to 10. They backtracked that some after the fact, but that initial promise was made.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site

In terms of development as an afterthought. I believe interfaces are what will dictate how well apps work on all devices. There will be savings in development resources but then more resources need to be put into the UI. You can have a very well thought out UI that works on everything perfectly. Or you can create separate UI elements for each device. So really that's a big focus for Microsoft as well. But continuum is the big motivator to put the effort in. Why? Because Microsoft has revealed their plans to a lot of big companies. And if continuum can actually pull it off, we are talking the next big wave of not phones but computers. And here's the brilliance behind it. First it will be all PC OEMs selling these things in possibly the PC section like current 2-in-1's. So you put these in Best buy, Walmart, whoever sells pc's. So if they do gain some traction, phone companies will start eyeing them. And possibly you now get exposure from phone companies and phone kiosks. So you're really putting your device in both markets.

This is a huge thing really. And MS really needs to push it fast and get in there quickly. And they have to do it right as well. The insider program is a big part of it. And insiders with continuum are likely getting priority. These are the people that want both experiences. The target audience.

So that's why I think there's some motivation to do your apps right. But that's my 2 cents.

Continuum sounds cool on paper, but you need the apps written for it - the one killer app I would actually use under continuum I doubt would never get ported to it .. Scrivener.

I lost track ... did they ever port the RDP app to be continuum? I know it wasn't to begin with.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site

I agree it's different and I think it's understandable why three year old phones won't be ugpraded. I think that some of the justified anger, though, is their original statement that all Windows 8 phones would be upgradable to 10. They backtracked that some after the fact, but that initial promise was made.

Yup - it's like windows phone 7 again .. shame on me for getting burned .. again!! .. not going to happen a third though..

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

What they should have said is "We will TRY to get all phones on windows 10".

costas60

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site

Yup - it's like windows phone 7 again .. shame on me for getting burned .. again!! .. not going to happen a third though..
Look at some of the Android phones
some are still getting released now with 4.4
never to be updated let alone 3 year old phones
window phones.
I also have a HTC 8X will will probably never get W10
but fully understand the situation
have a L830 as my main phone though

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

Continuum sounds cool on paper, but you need the apps written for it - the one killer app I would actually use under continuum I doubt would never get ported to it .. Scrivener.

I lost track ... did they ever port the RDP app to be continuum? I know it wasn't to begin with.

Of course you need apps. And like I said this is the big motivator for developers. That's why you are seeing apps coming out recently that actually support it. They don't have to add the support. But there's a reason they are. A lot of big developers also want to get early data from users on making their apps better. These are the guys that know of the long term plans. And that's why you are seeing them. The 950/XL is the first iteration as well. They know the limitations they know what improvements hardware needs. There's also going to be some big news regarding project centennial as they have been working with some big developers on it apparently. This has a huge potential. And it can also trigger a lot more innovation. Your phone doesn't necessarily have to look like a typical phone. OEMs could test different designs that work well. It's a big market.

Oh yes RDP app works on continuum. You can see continuum thread as people add apps they come across that support it. It probably needs the update for latest twitter and some others that came out.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site

Look at some of the Android phones
some are still getting released now with 4.4
never to be updated let alone 3 year old phones
window phones.
I also have a HTC 8X will will probably never get W10
but fully understand the situation
have a L830 as my main phone though

Except that, most new Android apps are built to work on older devices even earlier than 4.4.
Not so with Windows phones, where you'll be stuck only with the apps built for W8.1

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte