Lumia 520, 720, 820, 920, 1020, 1320 (x20 series) Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520, 720, 920, 1020, 1320 Owners

You're buying into the marketing.

Well, OEMs already produce laptops, 2-in-1's etc. 2-in-1 sales are growing like crazy. These OEMs already have license deals with MS for windows 10. This could include any type of hardware. Heck Windows 10 could run on Tv's, in car systems, everywhere. MS is pushing for this. The desktop user base is going to grow even if people don't convert from Windows 7 because new hardware will come with windows 10.

Windows 10 features for both developers and hardware producers allows for all kinds of different hardware to be released allowing for more innovation. All this different hardware will still have a common platform with similar apps. Developers can add features easily to take advantage of newer hardware. There's a lot MS is betting on. It's not just marketing, it is happening whether we like it or not.

Delaying windows 10 further to optimize a small market share that has been called "dying" doesn't make sense when the end result is to power new hardware and get Redstone out. Windows phone is dead, windows 10 is not. OEMs aren't interested in competing with Apple/Samsung for phone shares. But getting into the 2-in-1 "pocket pc" market makes more sense. A lot of these OEMs already produce 2-in-1 laptops which sell great. Lenovo has been making quite a lot from this venture. This is even something Samsung could get into as it deals with the hybrid pc market as well.

Also if you think about all the companies coming out with VR/AR solutions or anything like that, they usually have to build their own software with the hardware. Now OEMs can jump in and do things that they couldn't before because Windows 10 allows them to. So it's not really marketing but a fact. Marketing will be done by the OEMs with their products. And that will really determine success. MS is working with everyone these days too. Their new motto is to put partnerships before competition. This is why office 365 is integrating solutions from competing companies, you wouldn't see something like that with the old MS. Many CEOs have opened up about loving the new MS. Satya is a charmer no doubt, hehe. And he has humility which is great.

I feel bad for a lot of users who have been anticipating windows 10, but unfortunately sometimes things don't work out. MS knows about this more than anyone. I mean they have been behind for so long, they don't want to be behind anymore, so they make these decisions.

But in the end this will be great for the consumers. More innovation, more choices and again it will fuel the competitors to also develop better solutions. So you may not even be using windows 10 2 years from now but some new Google platform or Apple platform. Apple isn't going to make the same mistake MS did, sit and enjoy the ride until they realize they messed up. Apple will be trying to compete too. Tech companies are all looking for the next big thing and they want to be a part of it. Even getting into cars. Anything that will give them the edge and won't leave them behind like MS with phones.

DoDeH1

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

A couple of weeks ago I was considering buying the L950XL even if it's expensive. I said, well my L920 is 3 years old, maybe it's time to buy a new phone.
I think I made a very good decision in not buying it after I've seen the whole lie MS sold us. The point is I don't have any guarantee that the new L950 will ever get a newer OS then the actual one W10.
Sorry but on Android every phone had a chance to upgrade to a newer OS version atleast once.

laserfloyd

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site

Phones on WP7 is not updated to 8. Phones on WP8 not updated to W10. Phones at W10 never upgrade to the next version. Or do you still believe Microsoft ?!

Well ZERO phones went from WP7 to WP8. None. Nada. Zip. At least half the WP8 users can upgrade. I'd rather upgrade to new hardware than bonk my phone with something that runs like crap and isn't supported. I'm due for an upgrade this year. The x20 series phones are aging. I personally see no issue with not supporting 2+ year old phones. Anyway, I'd rather save up for the surface phone, ya know, if it ever comes to fruition.

UrhoRtl

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site

I have a Lumia 1020. After the installing OS 10.0.10586.164 Lumia Camera does not work properly. Image is blurred. Hard reset done twice.Someone has the same problem? The solution?

laserfloyd

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site

Microsoft a.k.a liars
Lies? Or just overly optimistic/ambitious. I don't think they realized how badly some of the x20 devices would run WM10. A better way to state it would be "We hope to make it available but need feedback on how devices perform." Still, that's not enough for some because that creates a crapstorm of "HERE WE GO AGAIN WITH WP7!1!!" So, they're in an unwinnable situation. Maybe after this time they'll get it right. Hey, at least half of the WP8 devices are upgradable to 10 vs zero WP7 devices moving to WP8. Now that was a fiasco. ;)

Peribanu

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site

Because someone asked, here's my own translation for a way to get redstone builds on unsupported phones like 920. I haven't tried it yet, because the current build has sync problems with the Band. But a friend of mine tried it on a Lumia 920 and he said it works like a charm. The german original article can be found here:

Thank you very much, Vasrias, that's really helpful!

veerabadhra

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site

Had pathetic experience running 10 on Lumia 1020. Poor battery life, hanging apps, sluggish response etc. Moved back to 8.1 and eventually moved to iphone 6s. As much as I love the camera on 1020 and have good memories with it, I couldn't handle the mediocre windows ecosystem any longer. Maybe I will move back to WP a couple of years down the line once it matures ( I'm sure it does with the WP10) but for now, I'm tired of being the guinea pig.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

The Verge headline says all w8 phones will be upgraded to w10. The tweet states "we plan....."

There is a huge difference between we plan and we will. Ok, I only have a 925 and it has worked on w10 from day 1, and I am sorry that it will not be upgraded any further, but it has had w10 for over a year.

Moving on.

Look above your post. See the tweet that does not say "plan".

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

I watched that 13:50 mark several times. The presenter stated "we will make AVILABLE a free upgrade to Windows 10", not we will make absolutely sure Win10M works and installs on all devices running Windows 7/8 and Win Phone 8.1 without problems and it'll runs blazing faster besterest thing since sliced bread. That's just peeps assuming and hear and understanding what they want to be told.

"Available" certainly implies "supported". What we are being told is that we can have it but they won't support it.

Saini Mukund

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site

it works good on 920 m using it but jst a bit lag and app prob not all
itd be good if nokia was in micro is tryin to increase the sell of new products which runs wp10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss