Lumia 520, 720, 820, 920, 1020, 1320 (x20 series) Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

seed dede

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520, 720, 920, 1020, 1320 Owners

I don't own any of those phones (I have a 640 XL LTE & 535) but I think Lumia 520 users and similar antique lowperformance phones should be realist and buy a newer phone with W10M. On the other hand, 1020 users (and similar) could try to make a polite and organised petition to get w10 for their phones.

it makes a sense, just like blackberry does to whatsapp

Yogesh Choudhari

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site

Another broken promise & bad news for a mobile operating system that is practically dead, and once again Microsoft has angered its small but loyal base of Windows Phone users, waiting for nokia till next year..I will buy android phone next time..RIP Windows phone ( user of lumia 720 & 1020 )..I agree that all android phones are not updated at latest version but there old version is miles ahead of windows versions.. Bhaad me ja maicrosoft

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site

I don't get the hate for MS in this thread. Should we all just be happy that our phones were supported for 2-3 years? Not all phones have this privilege of being updated consistently. I think we should just move on and buy a new phone...

What phone would that be?

Oh, you don't mean this one, do you? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMNgfEVk8oo

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

That's reminds me usual behaviour of Huawuei. 2 years of Android updates, then stop, until you root them. MS entry level best seller 520 lasts 3 yrs and more, till December 2016 I guess (or till 10586 will be updated)

Mahesh Abnave

May 4, 2013
Visit site

hey guys let me put this in broader context. Someone have to speak this loud. Common.....
Lets say I am ok if my beloved Lumia 520 does not get update. But big question is this:

If I am ready to buy next biggest / baddest flagship at whatever cost, say $1500, will Microsoft promise me for at least 5 years of official updates? Or $1500 is just not enough for Microsoft for providing such promise?

Let me summarize this straight: These companies have grown a lot greedy. Apple and Androis OEMs startes this. Stating we will support phones for 2-3 years. Microsoft is following the pack. Technically, at least Microsoft should be able to provide updates for at least 5 years. I am able to upgrade my decade long PC machine to Windows 10 and with One Windows everywhere Microsoft must be able to replicate PC update experience to mobiles. But they just wont....they all are too greedy. They want us to buy new hardware for new software, not just for new hardware. Thats the reality. Surely $1500 worth will be worthy even after 5 years.

I wrote pretty big concerns about the same on WMPoweruser comments via Disqus. here

Here is what For information I am Microsoft ******. You may find my posts online in forums high lighting goods of Windows platform. Here I am neither talking about cost of phones nor comparing companies or platforms. I am talking about unfortunate de facto philosophy/belief followed in mobile industry.
These companies are perfectly capable of building devices which can be updated for at least 5+years, both technically and financially. After all that is how Windows was always. I am able to upgrade my decade old costly machine to Windows 10. Though I am here comparing PC platform with Mobile platform, we must not forget that that today Windows 10 run on Raspberry Pi too which does not have very high end specs. Also note that Phones are catching up with specs. Just look at those super cheap Xiomi phones having 4GB RAM and Quad core processors... My decade old machine even did not had such specs. (Though I understand that mobile and PC processors are not that straight comparable, but definitely it's not the case that there are no mobile processors which can perform better the decent PC processor capable of running Windows or Linux)
I feel we have started to associate happiness with buying new phone every 2-3 year. So we are very happy and excited when we know that our current phone is 2-3 year old. That's how precisely many industries benefit - by saling stuff exploiting the fact that people love to have new ones, even though it's not actually needed. Bad thing with Mobile industry is that they enforce this.
We should just stop saying "that's not how mobile industry work... Look none Android, Apple did it that way". But still we say that because we are just OK with it. We accept it because that's how it was always since birth of mobile industry. But we forget that it is made like that by Android manufacturers and Apple for their monetary benefit. They are now forcing us to have hardware upgrades that is buy a new phone to have software upgrades. Isn't that sounds incorrect. We should be able be able to software upgrade our devices as long as it is possible technically...but that is not happening.
Let me put it other way:
1. I am ready to shower double the money on phone than I would on a decent laptop. Know what? It is defacto that I will get Windows updates on laptop as long as it is technically possible (either OS patches, or update to full new OS like Windows 7 to 10 or even by buying new licenced retail OS DVD of new version). In fact it is so obvious that no seller will specify it explicitly. Even buyer will not think of it explicitly. **We all just know that this is how it works** But with Mobile stuff...we all know that no one will provide such phone that will update after 5+ years. Again **We all just know that this is how it works**. Its all about accepting how it works...and nothing else...sadfully
2. Tell me why not many manufacturers put efforts like project Ara and phoneblocks?
3. With Microsoft unifying Windows across mobile and PCs are they going to unify the upgrade experience too? Afterall they were providing updates to different PC/laptop models of different manufacturers. Now they should be able replicate the same for mobiles. Is it going to happen that way?

This is what I thoughts:

For information I am Microsoft ******. You may find my posts online in forums high lighting goods of Windows platform. Here I am neither talking about cost of phones nor comparing companies or platforms. I am talking about unfortunate de facto philosophy/belief followed in mobile industry.
These companies are perfectly capable of building devices which can be updated for at least 5+years, both technically and financially. After all that is how Windows was always. I am able to upgrade my decade old costly machine to Windows 10. Though I am here comparing PC platform with Mobile platform, we must not forget that that today Windows 10 run on Raspberry Pi too which does not have very high end specs. Also note that Phones are catching up with specs. Just look at those super cheap Xiomi phones having 4GB RAM and Quad core processors... My decade old machine even did not had such specs. (Though I understand that mobile and PC processors are not that straight comparable, but definitely it's not the case that there are no mobile processors which can perform better the decent PC processor capable of running Windows or Linux)
I feel we have started to associate happiness with buying new phone every 2-3 year. So we are very happy and excited when we know that our current phone is 2-3 year old. That's how precisely many industries benefit - by saling stuff exploiting the fact that people love to have new ones, even though it's not actually needed. Bad thing with Mobile industry is that they enforce this.
We should just stop saying "that's not how mobile industry work... Look none Android, Apple did it that way". But still we say that because we are just OK with it. We accept it because that's how it was always since birth of mobile industry. But we forget that it is made like that by Android manufacturers and Apple for their monetary benefit. They are now forcing us to have hardware upgrades that is buy a new phone to have software upgrades. Isn't that sounds incorrect. We should be able be able to software upgrade our devices as long as it is possible technically...but that is not happening.
Let me put it other way:
1. I am ready to shower double the money on phone than I would on a decent laptop. Know what? It is defacto that I will get Windows updates on laptop as long as it is technically possible (either OS patches, or update to full new OS like Windows 7 to 10 or even by buying new licenced retail OS DVD of new version). In fact it is so obvious that no seller will specify it explicitly. Even buyer will not think of it explicitly. **We all just know that this is how it works** But with Mobile stuff...we all know that no one will provide such phone that will update after 5+ years. Again **We all just know that this is how it works**. Its all about accepting how it works...and nothing else...sadfully
2. Tell me why not many manufacturers put efforts like project Ara and phoneblocks?
3. With Microsoft unifying Windows across mobile and PCs are they going to unify the upgrade experience too? Afterall they were providing updates to different PC/laptop models of different manufacturers. Now they should be able replicate the same for mobiles. Is it going to happen that way?

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site

I jumped the fence thanks to local carrier's agressive "phone included" option. I took a 650. Even a 550 could be perfect

Well, given this past week, the 550 and 650 are similarly low end devices that Microsoft is going to abandon in a year; that said, the future of the operating system is so risky, I wouldn't recommend anyone buy anything BUT a low end Windows phone.

If you really want a modern high end smartphone, you buy an iPhone or a Nexus or a Galaxy.

R3mis

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site

Well, given this past week, the 550 and 650 are similarly low end devices that Microsoft is going to abandon in a year; that said, the future of the operating system is so risky, I wouldn't recommend anyone buy anything BUT a low end Windows phone.

If you really want a modern high end smartphone, you buy an iPhone or a Nexus or a Galaxy.

Exactly my thoughts. People who bought the 950s could get stuck with a dead OS in a year or so. WP seems to be very likely to fail now, some even call it dead already. I say let's wait a few months and we'll see but I'm not giving them much chances, given the number of mad customers leaving for other platforms and dwindling market share.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site

Exactly my thoughts. People who bought the 950s could get stuck with a dead OS in a year or so. WP seems to be very likely to fail now, some even call it dead already. I say let's wait a few months and we'll see but I'm not giving them much chances, given the number of mad customers leaving for other platforms and dwindling market share.

Yeah, they just instantly halved their entire install base (inside of one weekend!), to just under 1% of worldwide smartphone share, so the future of the OS is cloudy at best. On a smartphone pie chart, it's strictly now in the 'Other' category along with Samsung's Tizen, Firefox OS and Symbian.

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site

What I see these days (maybe this does not apply directly to you) is a lot of people with old phones that were going to the competition anyway and just needed a reason to justify themselves. I mean, if you really enjoyed and wanted to stay you would probably upgrade 3 years old models anyway (you don't keep a phone longer than 3 years on other platforms either) so what is happening clearly is:

-people fed up with windows using this excuse to leave the platform and upgrade their old phones to a new platform
-people still interested in windows using this excuse to upgrade their old phones to a new windows phone

Seeing the customer retention policies of microsoft's mobile division who would wanna be fooled again. Obviously you own a new device fine by me. But its not just that. They sold like 2 year hardware then in the name sake that windows is the most efficient OS. Made a mess of the preview version which took forever to even to be considered a beta and for all the faithful users hardwork they ditched support. They failed to deliver and to keep their words( may be due to lay offs) admit it.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

I completely disagree you ;)
If your unique opinion is Windows 10 Mobile will closed, you 're completely wrong .
Let's talking after final Redstone release
PS: 650 it's a mid-end

anon(9679201)

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site

Good points from many forum members. If Microsoft reps are reading this, you seriously have tarnished not only the brand but all the hard work committed by numerous groups over the years. There's a difference in streamlining your bloated + fragmented device base and cutting ties with your (few) loyal users. Once again it seems no one at the company decided to think this from the communication perspective. How will the users react to negative changes (WP7->8 support, OneDrive storage mess, Skype for TV disaster, W10M release) to their existing devices and what can we do the tone it down.

Surface phone is coming this autumn and was considering to purchase it after 1020 (as there has been very few serious candidates for replacement after it from the lumia family) yet I now I face myself in a situation where Microsoft products raise suspicion and caution regarding the service. I could be better off with One Plus Three or even Apple 6S.

Despite all this, here's my action plan for survival
> You have from the Nokia days data set of emails from the ones who signed up to the quality program. Craft a well thought out message explaining the technical difficulties in expanding the RedStone support for Lumia 520/920/1020. Illustrate this with data from the insider program + engineer division.
> Apologize for giving false promises regarding the upgradability (you started with good intentions that everyone will have it, tech just evolves rapidly and 2-3 years is a long time). However we have great features waiting in Redstone (examples 1-5) and something exciting is approaching (teaser image of a corner of the Surface phone)
> As a loyal customer we will offer you 50$ rebate+global free shipping on the new flagship model if you click this link and you will be among the first ones to get information of the new solution

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site

I completely disagree you ;)
If your unique opinion is Windows 10 Mobile will closed, you 're completely wrong .
Let's talking after final Redstone release
PS: 650 it's a mid-end

All the signs point to Microsoft ditching Windows 10 Mobile; thinking otherwise is delusional, sorry if the truth hurts.
You don't jettison most of your user base in a matter of days, if you're committed to your mobile OS.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

All the signs point to Microsoft ditching Windows 10 Mobile; thinking otherwise is delusional, sorry if the truth hurts.
You don't jettison most of your user base in a matter of days, if you're committed to your mobile OS.

I repeat: let's talk after Redstone release. That is becoming the same boring 3ad about the release date before the date.... ;)

kkneey

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site

I think The fact is their is few of engineers
working on win10m now. They have no patient to optimized these **2* devices. So they give up.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

Grow up, the world isn't fair, technology changes. People report that the experience sucks on those devices, then you'd complain about that.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Nice! Perhaps people should boycott your apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05