Lumia 520, 720, 820, 920, 1020, 1320 (x20 series) Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520, 720, 920, 1020, 1320 Owners

I don't get the hate for MS in this thread. Should we all just be happy that our phones were supported for 2-3 years? Not all phones have this privilege of being updated consistently. I think we should just move on and buy a new phone...

It's about broken promises.

judah modeste

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site

WOW soooo lumia 620 owners seem to be not even included in this group. Anyway as an owner of a 512 device which is my only phone i'm not mad or a bit upset by the news, I would like to buy a new windows phone but i can't right now and being an insider for the W10M and getting first hand view of the problems the 512 devices are experiencing for them to be included would give MS a huge level of backlash from not only fans but all of the mobile community and will drop WM fans to deeper levels. But being fair and honest it sucks that these devices wont being getting the W10M I looks nice my phone preforms better than 8.1 even battery life is better but, those little freezes that happens a few times would give one a sucky (not sure if sucky is a word but i hope you get the meaning) experience. I dont just feel bad for the 512 phones i feel it for all WM from other brands that wont get the update and have better specs that some of the Lumia 512 phones.

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site

here's a story from my country, Kenya.

In 2013 when the elections were happening, the current president promised that all standard one pupils in public primary schools would receive laptops by the end of the year.

3years later so far only a few dozen schools have received laptops as part of a testing program to see how they function and what is the best way forward.

Are people angry that their kids haven't got laptops yet? Yes, they are. Are they patient? Mostly yes. I've not seen any parent complaining that the government promised to give laptops and have failed to do so so far and hence they will take their kids to private schools.

Whether promises were given or not, whether plans were made or not, the fact is that the upgrade experience can be challenging and we still have options within the MS experience to continue forward.

Insider program is available. For a few months we still get to experience W10M. Redstone hasn't been released for the older phones and my expectation is it won't be for a couple of months. Add a few more months and I'm seeing W10M being available for our phones on insider until end of 2016

You have gone lengths to advocate a failure. Providing people with laptops is a huge task when compared to delivering updates. sorry kinda agreed to your post above this . But this thing here is pure fanboyism.

micosecronica

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site

Hi again!

I've been reading your comments and for those (like me) thinking in changing to another platform, the main question its not the operating system per se but the app compatibility!
That is what, in my opinion, can turn things in favor or against Microsoft! And for me, its against them!

Let me put things in perspective, if you buy an Android, midrange, will probably have Android 4.4 or 5, in some cases, but most 4.4 or inferior right? Microsoft launches updates to their Android apps, this phones will run it!
Now, for us users of 8.1, we are unable to run Universal Apps. They have made improvements to Microsoft Maps in response to Here leaving the boat, will WP 8.1 see also that updates??
I think that's here that resides our major grunt!
If there was a mode that somehow allowed running Universal Apps there weren't so many disappointment in people, but in a short period, we are going to have what I call "brick phones" that will allow us to make phone calls and text message and take some fine pictures but all goodies will be inaccessible to us...

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Why, because you're upset over something that has nothing to do with me?

You're suggesting boycotting apps, on a platform that obviously you own and like, because your phone isn't being updated? Is that how you support future development of your chosen platform? I'd say that's worse than Microsoft choosing to not update for positive experiences. Don't you see the hypocrisy in your statement?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Stef8600

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site

I don't think a lot of phones have been updated yet. Stated that the upgrade is only possible after installing the Upgrade Advisor app, a lot of 'normal' users (meaning excluding the geeks like you and me) are not even aware that an update is available for their phones.
I own a L720 with 512Mb (W10M insider preview), and allthough I was impressed by W10M on my daily driver, I must honestly admit that it is nowhere compaired to W10M running on my sons 535. Of course my 720 is less recent that 1520/1320 devices (not even talking about the possibilities for the 1020) and I can understand their point of view in being dissapointment. But heck, (sh)it happens all around us, it is the law of economics. Money has to roll. We are ripped off more money by our governments, due to their incompetence than by phone manufacturers. At least If I have to buy a new phone, the money I spent serves me and not the politician.
Let's be honest with ourselves, if MS released W10M to phones like my 720, those people would start complaining about the phone no longer working optimal.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site

You have gone lengths to advocate a failure. Providing people with laptops is a huge task when compared to delivering updates. sorry kinda agreed to your post above this . But this thing here is pure fanboyism.

Well calling ****** someone that is just trying to express an adult and calm reasoning looking at the facts instead of crying because something went wrong is not nice :)

He tried to explain that all problems should be seen in their context, not being able to update old devices to redstone (because this is what we are talking about) is something that should have been avoided but it's not something so crazy like all you seem to think.

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

I ain't even mad. The 920 is over three years old, I've had mine for almost two. I can (and probably will) go get a 640 for $30. I was running 10586 last November and my 920 was slow, ran hot, and had *horrific* battery life, even after a hard reset. I chose to revert back to 8.1 and have been very happy with that. It's got a Snapdragon S4 for crying out loud...I'm not surprised that MS is dropping support for that. At some point you have to cut the old stuff off to allow future enhancements. Some Android phones lose support after one year, iPhones are usually good for about three, so I'd say the 3+ for the 920 has been more than sufficient.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site

I ain't even mad. The 920 is over three years old, I've had mine for almost two. I can (and probably will) go get a 640 for $30. I was running 10586 last November and my 920 was slow, ran hot, and had *horrific* battery life, even after a hard reset. I chose to revert back to 8.1 and have been very happy with that. It's got a Snapdragon S4 for crying out loud...I'm not surprised that MS is dropping support for that. At some point you have to cut the old stuff off to allow future enhancements. Some Android phones lose support after one year, iPhones are usually good for about three, so I'd say the 3+ for the 920 has been more than sufficient.

What you said makes perfectly sense for most people.

The problem is that Microsoft had the stupid idea to say once that even older phones would be updated so all the haters are now here to complain :) They would have probably changed their old phone soon but they love complaining so much :D

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Re: Lumia 1320

We should help each other to understand the pros and cons of Win10 Insider Preview on 1302.

If anyone of you has upgraded the to Win10 then please share

1. Your experience while upgrading ?
2. The Problems after upgrading to Win10 via Insider ?
3. Device Performance
4. Any noticeable impact to the daily use functionality

Here are my experiences:

1. Upgrading is a bit slow (maybe 90 minutes or so for me) but is smooth. Main issued I had was language support. When I upgraded to W10M, my speech/keyboard settings didn't update properly and I couldn't use Cortana. The only way to make it work was to hard reset the phone on W10M. Then I could change language settings (you have to wait for language packs to be downloaded and installed as updates to the OS, but no problems).

2. Really, the only problem for me is that my 1320 freezes when exiting certain apps. For me the biggest culprit is the messaging app, followed by ESPN. The workaround I found was to NOT "back out" of an app. Instead, I long-press the back button and X the app to exit. Since I started doing that, no freezes. During my first try with W10M, I had problems after freezes with the device giving SD card errors after reboot, so I don't have any apps installed on the SD card now.

3. For me, device performance is fine. I'm not a heavy user or gamer, but I see no issues and battery performance is comparable to my (short) experience on 8.1 (I only bought my 1320 last month, (ironically) specifically because I heard it was getting W10M.

4. With the workaround noted above, my 1320 on W10M is a fine daily driver.

Hope this helps!

nwnjjim

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

My history with Windows Phone/Mobile goes back to it's beginning. I think WM 5.0. I have had Samsung Focus, HTC Touch Pro, Cingular 8125 and 8525, Lumia 900 and 1020. I was royally screwed on the flagship 900 when I found out within months it would not be upgraded to 8.0. Now, the flagship 1020. No, none of us who pay good money for these "flagships" expect to be unable to upgrade within 7 months (Lumia 900) or 2 years (Lumia 1020). For those whose brilliant contribution is "Get over it and buy a new phone", there is no getting over it when it has happened twice and you have been loyal for almost a decade. Buying another phone every two years is not an option when you are retired on a fixed income.
I will continue to run on the threshold Insiders branch until a phone is available that equals or betters the 1020 camera. Just have to save my money. I have setup my PC and phone to install Redstone using the latest hack. I have Windows Phone SDK 8.0 on my PC and jailbroke my 1020 and installed a registry editor on the phone. Don't know if I will go that route and risk bricking my daily driver, but it is an option.
I find this latest situation from MS amateurish at best. Certainly disappointing but not unexpected given the Lumia 900 fiasco. I am now feeling badly watching MS embarrass itself yet again, more so than angry and bitter.

lbp775

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site

What you said makes perfectly sense for most people.

The problem is that Microsoft had the stupid idea to say once that even older phones would be updated so all the haters are now here to complain :) They would have probably changed their old phone soon but they love complaining so much :D

Did Microsoft say that "All" older phones will be updated or just "older phones would be updated? Because if it's the latter than technically Microsoft is keeping to their word as the L640 is an older phone. People just assumed. But if they said "All" then they definitely need to stop overpromising because all they're doing is giving more ammo to the haters.

Jeddic

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site

Exactly my thoughts. People who bought the 950s could get stuck with a dead OS in a year or so. WP seems to be very likely to fail now, some even call it dead already. I say let's wait a few months and we'll see but I'm not giving them much chances, given the number of mad customers leaving for other platforms and dwindling market share.
Windows 10 isn't going anywhere. Since Windows 10 on phones is picking up steam, and costs so little for MS to support (since they support Windows 10 for desktop anyway), it will not be going anywhere. It's getting more app support than Windows 8/8.1 was with more developers coming on all the time, and new app bridge tools will help with that trend. Honestly, I understand the frustration 520 owners feel, but the alternative is Android, and low end or mid-range Android phones never get updates to the next version. WP users got an upgrade from 8 to 8.1, assuming their carrier was cooperative.

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site

New phones are not cheap, and for a lot of people their current phone works for most things they need. When Microsoft announced older phones would be moved to Windows 10 free, the people looked forward to it. Now the techs seem to be only concentrating on new phones, getting them updated, leaving the people with the older phones on hold. The new build needs to be tweaked for the older phones, so they can work too. My Nokia 520 is working with the current build, except when I upgraded my BLU WIN HD LTE to the same build, I found that the Nokia couldn't do a few things, that the BLU phone does.

vinevinz

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site

Does it really worth the update to final version? .. i have 1520 and do not have interest trying the final one because i cant straightly do it from insider preview (which means HR). Been using .164 for days, feeling good and still no intention updating to final. So, cheers guys! as long as MS support the insider preview it means that it is fine!

PS: been using inside preview since it is very very very sucks (almost the earliest build).. so i know how it feels.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

My history with Windows Phone/Mobile goes back to it's beginning. I think WM 5.0. I have had Samsung Focus, HTC Touch Pro, Cingular 8125 and 8525, Lumia 900 and 1020. I was royally screwed on the flagship 900 when I found out within months it would not be upgraded to 8.0. Now, the flagship 1020. No, none of us who pay good money for these "flagships" expect to be unable to upgrade within 7 months (Lumia 900) or 2 years (Lumia 1020). For those whose brilliant contribution is "Get over it and buy a new phone", there is no getting over it when it has happened twice and you have been loyal for almost a decade. Buying another phone every two years is not an option when you are retired on a fixed income.
I will continue to run on the threshold Insiders branch until a phone is available that equals or betters the 1020 camera. Just have to save my money. I have setup my PC and phone to install Redstone using the latest hack. I have Windows Phone SDK 8.0 on my PC and jailbroke my 1020 and installed a registry editor on the phone. Don't know if I will go that route and risk bricking my daily driver, but it is an option.
I find this latest situation from MS amateurish at best. Certainly disappointing but not unexpected given the Lumia 900 fiasco. I am now feeling badly watching MS embarrass itself yet again, more so than angry and bitter.

Another one here that got burned with the Lumia 900. I bought that phone only after 4 months to find out that it won't be updated to WP8. Ok, lucky for me I have managed to sell it quickly, while losing only about 30 EUR. Bought a Lumia 920, then a 925,then a 1020,930,1520,950. I've had no complaints over WP8 or WP8.1, everytime someone asked me, I used to recommend it. Not the same for 950 which was the worst I've had ever! Not because of the phone, but because of the buggy OS.
So after being tricked with the L900, another nail in the head for me with the Surface 2 RT, so twice for me. I completely understand your point.MS cannot be trusted anymore in anything they say. They seriously lack the sense of respect for users, leadership and proper management in many departments!
And for the ones rushing to tell me I'm wrong: feel free to say anything, the truth is the truth, and the reality is here whether you like it or not. It's pointless to start comparing with either Apple or Google as it does not matter which does what. It's about MS here that managed to embarrass themselves again and threaten the already weak user base.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

650 by the specs is low end. how can you call mid range a SD212??

Never seen a low end with amoled, 16 GB, NFC still.
If you stop to cpu numbers, you?ll be better to study a little of IT fundamnetal IMHO

It's like saying the new Audi A6 2.0 TDI is worst then previous A6 2.8 :grin:

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

Never seen a low end with amoled, 16 GB, NFC still

does not matter. what is the use of those 16gbs and NFC when your CPU is the very lowest? and the phone runs slowly? In the end it does not matter if it is called low range or midrange. I personally like the phone as it looks and the specs despite the awful CPU, but I've played with one for a few days and by all means, the OS needs a lot of work! it's buggy as it can be, lags, lots of resuming...things not seen on WP8.1 with 1GB RAM phones. This phone with WP8.1 would be a massive hit! but unfortunately it is running a buggy OS instead, which seems that MS was not able to fix for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb