Lumia 520, 720, 820, 920, 1020, 1320 (x20 series) Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520, 720, 920, 1020, 1320 Owners

It's called "poor programming". It clearly shows MS does not have any good intelligent developers left.
It does seem like this was Microsoft's first rodeo, but saying they don't have good intelligent developers is very harsh. It's probably true that some moved on, but creating an atmosphere of low moral can convert the best employees into poor ones in an instant.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

If they keep doing same mistakes again and again, i guess only MS will be left in their own battleground to battle with themselves while the world has already moved on. There were already less users hence less developers and hence less OEMs. Now MS has shooed away over half of the users and want more developers and OEMs to come? Redstone may be greater than great but if there is no one left, what MS gona do. If most users have lost faith and world has watched the whole flop show, how many will be intersted in WP in near future? And one more thing, by the time redstone arrives (ofcourse as finished, polished product), where will the android and iOS be? MS will be struggling to get wide user base with few developers and OEMs while android and iOS will be at such a different level. Also if redstone is again different that W10 codes, no developer will be interested to change their app one more time.

I think this is going to be reflected in the even lower marketshare numbers for WP/W10M in coming quarters and corresponding developer drop-off. That's going to be the real legacy of the last 12-18 months of Microsoft basically gutting their mobile platform and seems to be why they are now again shifting their focus from mobile to the cloud.

nwnjjim

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

It's called "poor programming". It clearly shows MS does not have any good intelligent developers left.

I think it is a combination of poor program management (who is driving the bus, responsible for this mess?) and poor marketing and Public Relations. MS deserves every black eye and bruise it gets over this mess. They should have anticipated this and been ahead of it the entire way, setting expectations and having a message people could understand and accept. This was poorly handled and bungled and they earned the terrible comments they are getting in forums like this and the press. Sorry people who still defend MS, this is ugly and terrible.

shakeyplace

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site

Performance wise it seems to be hit and miss. My mum has a 630 which runs W10M as fast as my 930, however this isn't consistent as others have reported that the 630 runs W10M worse than WP8.1. I would say that is probably the reason why 512MB device won't get the upgrade.

I don't know, disappointed Microsoft dropped the older phones. Personally and I'm probably gonna get some flack for this but I'm happy with the OS on the device (W10M). It comes down to what you expect from the device. It starts fine, works fine, I suspect if I want to use it as a mini tablet and had 5 web pages open, four apps running in the background it probably wouldn't. But the same probably holds true for many tablets whatever the OS. I can use it as a phone and still have a number of apps on it which are available for me to use. Cortana had my back when I got an email with a notification for a conference call and the details disappeared when I clicked on the confirmation of receipt. Cortana had already put it in my appointments along with all the details. Works well for my needs. I guess the user experience depends on the users habits and expectations.
Sure, probably bugs to still work out. Probably always will as more features get introduced and as the old bugs are resolved and more are created. All I can say is report them and hopefully they get resolved faster.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

If they keep doing same mistakes again and again, i guess only MS will be left in their own battleground to battle with themselves while the world has already moved on. There were already less users hence less developers and hence less OEMs. Now MS has shooed away over half of the users and want more developers and OEMs to come? Redstone may be greater than great but if there is no one left, what MS gona do. If most users have lost faith and world has watched the whole flop show, how many will be intersted in WP in near future? And one more thing, by the time redstone arrives (ofcourse as finished, polished product), where will the android and iOS be? MS will be struggling to get wide user base with few developers and OEMs while android and iOS will be at such a different level. Also if redstone is again different that W10 codes, no developer will be interested to change their app one more time.

Half of nothing in the phone market. They aren't after the small amount of users they have, they want the large user base the others have. Windows phone itself isn't viable to maintain. So if they just keep trying to please the small market share they have, they might as well shut it all down. They didn't lose half the users, they gained 250 million users. And they will continue to do so with windows 10. And then like i said oems will release whatever they want to release as a windows 10 product. It's not a windows phone product, windows phone is dead, accept it. Again you are being very myopic. You only see things through your own losses. You don't see that developers are putting out apps regardless of the small phone base. And the reason is windows 10. It doesn't matter what device it runs on. Most future products will unlikely be standard phones but 2-in-1's. Standard phones will likely be budget devices that will piggy back off the eco system because of the future devices that will be the reason for apps. You honestly think a large corporation like MS doesn't know they are dropping 50% of their phone base? They want to get rid of that base. If these users are not willing to upgrade devices then they were never really useful to begin with as they are unlikely to drive revenue as they sit on old hardware to save money. Look at Apple. Their users buy new stuff all the time. Their sales always surpass previous sales because the user base is willing to move with technology and use their money to do it.

I'm telling you from a business perspective here. The windows phone base on older models is more a crutch than anything. Giving them a new OS that runs smoothly will just keep them on their old devices even longer. And it will eat up engineering resources. They gave it a fair try and it didn't workout, so it's time to move on.

Durahl

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site

Windows Phone 10 on my Lumia 1520 still keeps crapping out on me where it matters the most for me - Music Playback stops for no reason, Songs present on the Phone are marked as unavailable in Playlists and the newest feature appears to be a newly added Skrillex Mode that randomly turns Songs into something that sounds like a Grinder had it's way with the MP3. Back to Windows Phone 8.1 for me, again.

Looks like I'll have to wait for the rumored Surface Phone after all and hope for these issues being a hardware issue tied to the 1520 and not a Software one that comes with WP10 -_-

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Half of nothing in the phone market. They aren't after the small amount of users they have, they want the large user base the others have. Windows phone itself isn't viable to maintain. So if they just keep trying to please the small market share they have, they might as well shut it all down. They didn't lose half the users, they gained 250 million users. And they will continue to do so with windows 10. And then like i said oems will release whatever they want to release as a windows 10 product. It's not a windows phone product, windows phone is dead, accept it. Again you are being very myopic. You only see things through your own losses. You don't see that developers are putting out apps regardless of the small phone base. And the reason is windows 10. It doesn't matter what device it runs on. Most future products will unlikely be standard phones but 2-in-1's. Standard phones will likely be budget devices that will piggy back off the eco system because of the future devices that will be the reason for apps. You honestly think a large corporation like MS doesn't know they are dropping 50% of their phone base? They want to get rid of that base. If these users are not willing to upgrade devices then they were never really useful to begin with as they are unlikely to drive revenue as they sit on old hardware to save money. Look at Apple. Their users buy new stuff all the time. Their sales always surpass previous sales because the user base is willing to move with technology and use their money to do it.

I'm telling you from a business perspective here. The windows phone base on older models is more a crutch than anything. Giving them a new OS that runs smoothly will just keep them on their old devices even longer. And it will eat up engineering resources. They gave it a fair try and it didn't workout, so it's time to move on.
In other words Microsoft decided to kill off Windows Phone but didn't want it to look like they actually did, so instead they are indirectly encouraging users to abandon it so it can quietly metamorphosize into something else. That way they don't have the indignation of having to announce it officially :grin:

Dr_Henry_Killinger

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site

What I see these days (maybe this does not apply directly to you) is a lot of people with old phones that were going to the competition anyway and just needed a reason to justify themselves.

Why would anyone need an "excuse" to switch platforms? Because we don't want to let Microsoft down? LOL.

asd4589

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site

I'm a 1020 owner, and I'm very disappointed with the decision to leave out the only phone that the general public can all recognize as a Windows Phone :(

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Look at Apple. Their users buy new stuff all the time. Their sales always surpass previous sales because the user base is willing to move with technology and use their money to do it.

I do understand your point. But the thing is Apple has very large network of service, plus lot of network providers sell it on contract, plus it has all the rich user base already and has become a status symbol. Also it still gives new OS to old devices no matter how they work. Do you believe any of the point is valid with MS at this point of time? No one at any store promotes windows phone even with W10. Hell no one knows what it does better and different than android. Second, why should anyone spend money on on so costly device with W10 (L950) when no one knows about it and is not a status symbol? Third, why should anyone spend anything on cheap device with W10 when no one knows what it does better and has limited choice for the device itself? Simply, costly = go iPhone, cheap = go android.
People with old device would have gone for new windows device happily if MS did not break the trust with false promise. Everyone is not unhappy because MS did not give W10. It's because now its clear that WP8.1 is never gona get features all were waiting for, apps will be the same. Its like MS is forcing to burn their pocket to buy new phone which no one likes. Android and apple do it but subtly. They do not put a such a show. They give new OS which after actually using in current device, user knows now its time to upgrade. Couse he knows what new OS can do on new hardware. Here we had W8.1 with lot of flaws, poor apps and now MS wants us to get new phone with out letting us know what good it can do. Whos gona spend money again just to see whats good in w10 when they have such great experience with wp8.1?
Users with old device are crutches, development for old hardware is a burden is alright from business point of view, i understand. But it should be when you have perfect grip over market. Till then you have hold on to everything you have. Anyway. I really wish whatever I feel becomes totlly wrong. But the time will tell.

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site

Well calling ****** someone that is just trying to express an adult and calm reasoning looking at the facts instead of crying because something went wrong is not nice :)

He tried to explain that all problems should be seen in their context, not being able to update old devices to redstone (because this is what we are talking about) is something that should have been avoided but it's not something so crazy like all you seem to think.

Its crazy alright, Its history repeating itself. Been with windows phone since the 7.5 and i kinda know fanboyism and reality. Making a mistake twice isnt called planning or result of setting expectations high. They are a software giant for God's sake.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site

This is what MS should have lead with. Can never or will ever understand why announce anything now and a year later either release it or partially so. What they should have done is to say W10M will be released to as many devices as possible to give the best experience towards your upgrade and we will be monitoring through our insider programs which devices give the most issues and will decide on the next step forward based on user reviews. With this in mind it's our main interest to have all on W10M with best experience possible, so look forward to some currently in use devices to not being able to get the update due to hardware limitations. We do hope for your understanding and accept you will move forward with us to make this OS the best it can be.

Now if anyone at MS had the intelligence for dummies handbook that would have been a statement or something close to it released to the public on w10m announcement LAST YEAR.

What that would've done is to have consumers waiting with expectation to see their devices on the list and in the mean time accept to start looking for that upgrade device in case their current device isn't on the list. Then when the list is released those on it = happy/satisfied, those not on it = disappointed, but know which device they're going to upgrade to get on the w10m platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers