Lumia 520, 720, 820, 920, 1020, 1320 (x20 series) Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raian Levy

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
When I saw the lumia 430 was getting the Win10 upgrade I was sure that my lumia 925 (daily driver) would run it, so I downloaded the windows insider app and logged in, selected the release preview ring and waited for it to update.
I have a lumia 720 in the fast ring and got completely ruined, it is almost unusable. But I've been using the Win10 925 for a couple of days now and it's completely stable with no noticeable lag.
I would totally recommend it to those who don't know what will happen to their devices. if it's got 1GB of RAM, it will most certainly work.
Hope this helped some people! :wink:

kubiaxk

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
ok let me upgrade my 820 for 30€ and I will buy it ... But in eu you can get second hand 640 ~70€ (not talking about new one 120€+) imo no well spend money :)

kubiaxk

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
When I saw the lumia 430 was getting the Win10 upgrade I was sure that my lumia 925 (daily driver) would run it, so I downloaded the windows insider app and logged in, selected the release preview ring and waited for it to update.
I have a lumia 720 in the fast ring and got completely ruined, it is almost unusable. But I've been using the Win10 925 for a couple of days now and it's completely stable with no noticeable lag.
I would totally recommend it to those who don't know what will happen to their devices. if it's got 1GB of RAM, it will most certainly work.
Hope this helped some people! :wink:

Ty for info :) my 820 should run it fine ... But I am worried about battery dries and other bugs what I heard based on feedback from other guys who was using TP on 820/925/920

anon(3463402)

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site

kubiaxk

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I can understand your frustration, but you know it's not true.
They wanted to update all WP8 Lumias but it was not possible, unfortunately.

And they are doing it better than others:
Microsoft can teach Android makers a thing or two about updates | Android Central

But this is MS ...

Tell me now at least one reason (expect release date) why sanpdragon S200 (2core lowend at launch time) can get W10M and Snapdragon S4 plus (2 core highend at launch time) which is outperforming S200 can not...

I understand they wont give us possibility to upgrade because they demand from us to buy new HW ez as duck

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520, 720, 920, 1020, 1320 Owners

Really guys?! were talking about 3+ yr old tech here. I know people that upgrade their Apple devices yearly.. not to mention, Apple will FORCE you to upgrade every TWO years by blocking their newest OS on older phones. Android and apple keep their "good name" by only supporting the latest hardware. I agree with MS following suit. That said, I also agree that WM needs to get its SOFTWARE on track, work flawlessly, align the user experience (UX) so people feel confident owning a windows phone. Building a solid brand will give them a "good name" with their users.

WM is showing some refreshing innovations which apple has been copying for awhile now (EG: linking accounts was from WM7, long press actions, living images) the list goes on.. I think just yesterday they announced a (new) ipad that cant even compare to a surface 3! THAT puppy cost $200 MORE than the surface 3, the pen costs more, the keyboard ..more! People will act like its the second coming and line up in droves for it as ushe. theres your "old tech" right there.

I've noticed that people that hold this opinion have an upgradeable phone.

Luuk Tijssen

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Owning an 820, phone that's been launched over 3 years ago, and still receiving updates... i cannot complain. With Insiders i even got Win10M, so i even get new features. Overall for such a old phone, gotten a few major updates, still getting patches on win8.1 and now via insiders still getting (onofficial) perfectly working updates, i'm totally happy with that!

For the future i prefer Microsoft focusing on getting win10 to work on modern hardware, getting it perfect, and attacking the current market, than supporting the few last owners of old phones. As long as they keep bringing security patches to all the x20 phones, they 've delivered more than reasonable support for the phones.

groady-ho baluzy

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
Owning an 820, phone that's been launched over 3 years ago, and still receiving updates... i cannot complain. With Insiders i even got Win10M, so i even get new features. Overall for such a old phone, gotten a few major updates, still getting patches on win8.1 and now via insiders still getting (onofficial) perfectly working updates, i'm totally happy with that!

For the future i prefer Microsoft focusing on getting win10 to work on modern hardware, getting it perfect, and attacking the current market, than supporting the few last owners of old phones. As long as they keep bringing security patches to all the x20 phones, they 've delivered more than reasonable support for the phones.
Well said! Very reasonable and rational thought and feeling. I have hope again for the human race. For awhile there I thought nothing mattered to anyone but not getting win10 and their cells were the only thing worth living for.

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Lt1200lt, Your point is exactly why ms doesn't want to be in phone market. No one working in phone stores will ever recommend it. But you go to pc section of best buy and ms is what they recommend. So if the "phone" is sold as a pc in the pc area, it will be recommended. And that's how it will slowly gain recognition. You have to position yourself in a market you're already known in. But change that market to something new. Then others will catch on. People in the area will become curious if phones are on display acting like pc's. And pc manufacturers like hp/lenovo and dell will jump on it. But ms needs to perfect it instead of focusing on existing phones. It sucks' but they can't afford more time. Google already had windowed mode working in android N. They have a huge market share too. If they beat ms to it, ms will never compete.

Absolutely. What I hate is, they had a good start with WP8. But they left it half and started a fresh with WP8.1. Now again they left WP8.1 half and introduced W10. Again as per you and some other, they want to switch focus to to PC, netbooks and 2 in 1, redstone etc. If they keep doing the same, nothing will be conststant for any user. The system it self will be so fragmented, MS will never be able to provide for all flawlessly. And now android is already there on pads and 2 in 1s. I wonder why MS released outdated hardware in new phones when others were far ahead and now say it's old? As with W10 for PC, again they have introduced something like forced updates. It's there for mobiles too. If in home (after W10 on every device strategy), there are 4-5 W10 devices, each is getting forced update, how much bandwidth will be left for users? For most of the world where data (WiFi and 3G)is costly, it's a lot of burden to bear. I have 4 W10 PCs and laptops and they consume hell lot of a data every month that to for updates like .net etc. Again this is another extreme. What update we want should be out choice. They may make it available or not, its us who would decide to get it not. I do not know where its going to take us as well as MS.

aswinh

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
My lumia 520 is currently running redstone build 14297 quite happily, so it's fine, just do a registry hack to continue to get new insider builds;-)

Sankar Raman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Mine is Microsoft Lumia 540, It has Qualcomm Snapdragon 200 and 1GB of RAM. Compared to 10586.164 Insider build, this stable release is more stable, Camera is fixed, and graphics rendering is better compared to 10586.164. Still Music navigation using lock screen floating window is not yet fixed. Still flickering of title when track changes exist.

Rest all, good to go for daily driver!!!!

$hankY

Sheratan

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
But this is MS ...

Tell me now at least one reason (expect release date) why sanpdragon S200 (2core lowend at launch time) can get W10M and Snapdragon S4 plus (2 core highend at launch time) which is outperforming S200 can not...

I understand they wont give us possibility to upgrade because they demand from us to buy new HW ez as duck

Pentium 4 EE (High-end in 2004) vs Pentium G2030 (low-end 2013), which one do you choose?

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520, 720, 920, 1020, 1320 Owners

apple hardware is always top of the line as well. So even older Iphone 5 has great hardware still. While Nokia created all these budget phones that are severely under spec'd.
I agreed most part from your post but just a quick reminder, the MSRP of iPhone 5/Lumia 920 are not far away from each other. They are both selling at flagship price so if they choose to use less capable hardware to increase profit then I think it's a bit unfair for the users to swallow the "performance issue" excuse especially when there's less capable but newer device (lumia 430/435) were officially supported by w10m.

I think by suggesting the outsider (old, unsupported WP8 user) into insider is a bit lose-lose situation for the user : they have to choose between rather stable OS but no app support or future app support in a rather unstable OS with no help from the company. We insider are aware the risk and choose to join but give this as the only option to the rest is just....meh.

--
I'm actually using a hack ATIV S to get the newest redstone build and it worked ok, some crash yes but I can see it's potential even in a hack device (not optimized OS, not optimized firmware) so I really think it's possible to give a ok version to all WP8.1/1GB device and cover them with UWP support.

Nikhil Meher

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
i own a 3 year old L820, and with the support i received i can't complain or expect anything more, BUT i was hoping for a w10 for my phone too. maybe its just time to move on to a newer phone now, but i was also waiting for one plue 3 (if it supports windows OS) or nokia C1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo