Lumia 520, 720, 820, 920, 1020, 1320 (x20 series) Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520, 720, 920, 1020, 1320 Owners

mine is alright, dont know where you got the info from

If following along since W10Ms inception and taking notes as to how it has been playing out means anything I'd say Sammy's comment may not be too far off the mark, W10M inconsistencies abound when installed on same/similar devices so yes, yours may be fine while someone else's is not, have no figures as to the percentages on the negative side but IMO it’s way too high.

Shahbaz SK Khan

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Anyone with Nokia Lumia 925 on insider please tell me how its working.. As its confirmed that Ms won't give W10M in 920 925 & 1020 its better to get W10M from insider. Just need to know if its not a mess..
PS. Its my only phone. :p

ahmadmr

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
To be honest... My Lumia 1020 was on the Release Preview ring and really enjoyed WM10 .164 edition.... Then I decided to go and try the registry trick and get the Redstone version. There were things went bad: The system is very buggy, apps tend to crash more, notifications are either shown late or never shown till I open the app (for example the Outlook Mail). It looks odd but the opening time and general response are faster (I mean everything is fast even crashing :p)

I think I'll return back to 10586.164... It will be a long way but that version was stable to say the least

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520, 720, 920, 1020, 1320 Owners

Absolutely. What I hate is, they had a good start with WP8. But they left it half and started a fresh with WP8.1. Now again they left WP8.1 half and introduced W10. Again as per you and some other, they want to switch focus to to PC, netbooks and 2 in 1, redstone etc. If they keep doing the same, nothing will be conststant for any user. The system it self will be so fragmented, MS will never be able to provide for all flawlessly. And now android is already there on pads and 2 in 1s. I wonder why MS released outdated hardware in new phones when others were far ahead and now say it's old? As with W10 for PC, again they have introduced something like forced updates. It's there for mobiles too. If in home (after W10 on every device strategy), there are 4-5 W10 devices, each is getting forced update, how much bandwidth will be left for users? For most of the world where data (WiFi and 3G)is costly, it's a lot of burden to bear. I have 4 W10 PCs and laptops and they consume hell lot of a data every month that to for updates like .net etc. Again this is another extreme. What update we want should be out choice. They may make it available or not, its us who would decide to get it not. I do not know where its going to take us as well as MS.

A lot of tech companies are trying to solve the internet issue. Even Google is building their fiber and scaring companies like Comcast. I added a few bucks to my monthly bill recently so I can have unlimited due to all the netflix streaming and such. Cumulative updates for PC's aren't that big. With mobile obviously the initial branch is big but once it's set it in place the newer updates are all cumulative and much smaller. And you have to ask yourself whether it's worth it. These updates could keep you from getting a virus or having someone exploit a bug and get into your computer, it may be worth the extra bandwidth used up. Those who want to keep up with tech usually have better internet. Whether it's because they like to watch Netflix in HD or listen to music or anything else. So technology costs not only in the hardware sector but in the other sectors like internet etc..

Technology companies are jumping in on all areas of technology, including internet. The only reason internet prices are so ridiculous is because of monopolies that maintain the infrastructure. The more companies that jump in on it the cheaper things will get and the more choices consumers will get. Windows 10 actually has a lot of settings for metered internet connections as well to help manage bandwidt better.

I agreed most part from your post but just a quick reminder, the MSRP of iPhone 5/Lumia 920 are not far away from each other. They are both selling at flagship price so if they choose to use less capable hardware to increase profit then I think it's a bit unfair for the users to swallow the "performance issue" excuse especially when there's less capable but newer device (lumia 430/435) were officially supported by w10m.

I think by suggesting the outsider (old, unsupported WP8 user) into insider is a bit lose-lose situation for the user : they have to choose between rather stable OS but no app support or future app support in a rather unstable OS with no help from the company. We insider are aware the risk and choose to join but give this as the only option to the rest is just....meh.

--
I'm actually using a hack ATIV S to get the newest redstone build and it worked ok, some crash yes but I can see it's potential even in a hack device (not optimized OS, not optimized firmware) so I really think it's possible to give a ok version to all WP8.1/1GB device and cover them with UWP support.

I think the problem is the Krait architecture which was abandoned. Qualcomm likely doesn't want to deal with it. Keep in mind that MS is not the only one who works on drivers/firmware for these types of chipsets. They work with partners. For example Windows 10 was having an issue which required intel to update their drivers. There were issues with some laptops from Dell or something like that and it required driver updates from them before people could upgrade to Windows 10. So it's not just MS doing these things. PC OEMs/manufacturers are much better with keeping their tech supported. But even they would prefer to only deal with 1 OS. You ever go to a support page for an OEM and you see drivers, you have to pick the OS and then download it. That's all maintained by them in partnership with MS. So not sure how much they can do with Krait phones, and that includes the HTC M8. Powerful sure, but using an abandoned tech. And companies in the phone industry are not like PC companies. Once phone tech is old they are focusing on pushing the new stuff and drop the old. The people who want the latest and greatest are usually the ones who make these companies a lot of money.

And of course intel says their 10nm process will be ready 2017. And MS is due to release some hardware spring 2017. So it could coincide with that nm process which will create more power friendly x64 chips.

There's really 2 different types of scenarios in the phone world right now. Apple produces the software/hardware and maintains everything and because they are in control of the whole process it's quite easy for them.
Google provides an Open source OS for mobile, the OEMS produce their own drivers, skins or whatever and they maintain everything. And they drop support pretty quick as you have seen. And that's so they can focus on new stuff. The PC world is the only one where Manufacturers try to keep things up to date even on older hardware. But the difference is MS is kind of trying to build the Apple world where they control everything but in an environment where any OEM can join the party. And the OEM really only needs to maintain things for 1 OS. MS takes care of updating the OS itself and the OEM can focus on better drivers. In android, every time a new version of android comes out, the OEM has to do quite a lot of work to skin it and include proper drivers. It's a lot of work for them, and if they focus too much on older devices they may miss the next new phone wave which happens yearly. And it's really easy to lose your market share when there's so many OEMs out there pushing stuff out and cheap too. Samsung has the majority of android market share and they don't really update their older phones. So people in android are so used to it they don't care. And most apps still continue running. I've had issues with newer apps on my kit kat device, but for the most part things will work. Developers also don't always add new OS based features into their apps because such a small market of those users exist. With ios devs know it will be on most phones so they can take advantage of it. And I would guess that the same scenario could happen with Windows 10. Windows 10 does an update for new features. Devs know all devices are getting the update so they can include it in their apps.

Anyways, a lot of people talk about how MS has been doing this weird stuff since windows 6.5. But this is actually the first time MS has done something under a new CEO. And I think that the update was pretty ok given that 50% of users got updated. You wouldn't see that in android. And heck they were shooting for even higher. But now once these devices are on windows 10, they will always be up to date. And to progress in tech you sometimes have to leave the past behind.

When looking back at the whole windows phone 6.5+ fiasco, did any of the phones get updates at all? Did all phones get dropped? I wasn't really a part of it. But did at least 50% of phones get updated at any point? Is this actually a step up from the past?

AnkitGondalia

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
To be honest... My Lumia 1020 was on the Release Preview ring and really enjoyed WM10 .164 edition.... Then I decided to go and try the registry trick and get the Redstone version. There were things went bad: The system is very buggy, apps tend to crash more, notifications are either shown late or never shown till I open the app (for example the Outlook Mail). It looks odd but the opening time and general response are faster (I mean everything is fast even crashing :p)

I think I'll return back to 10586.164... It will be a long way but that version was stable to say the least

How did you do the registry trick?

KRDROIDD

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
i really want to do the registry hack on my L1320 to get the redstone release but at the same time i'm afraid that later when i want to get w8.1 back on it using windows device recovery tool it won't recognize it as L1320 but as L950 because the registry says it's a L950 and therefore it gives me the wrong firmware , the L950 firmware.. or maybe i'am just thinking too much ? any thoughts ?

Emanuel Manole

May 29, 2014
Visit site
i really want to do the registry hack on my L1320 to get the redstone release but at the same time i'm afraid that later when i want to get w8.1 back on it using windows device recovery tool it won't recognize it as L1320 but as L950 because the registry says it's a L950 and therefore it gives me the wrong firmware , the L950 firmware.. or maybe i'am just thinking too much ? any thoughts ?

Don't do it just yet. Redstone builds are bad . Wait till a stable release , when anybody is saying that everything is good, than go for it. To get back to 1320 from 950, just change back the registry model RM, to yours.

ahmadmr

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
@AnkitGondalia I just followed the instructions here:-
windowsarea.de/2016/03/anleitung-redstone-builds-auf-alte-lumia-smartphone-installieren/

(Use google translation :) )

skynet1511

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site

Yes i did that too on my 925.
Horrible experience. WiFi not working, turning on Sim Data always made the phone to crash. Store not downloading apps. SMS not working.
I just reflashed the phone with Windows 8.1 and upgrading to W10M 10586.164 right now. That build is not Redstone, but at least the phone works fine.

skynet1511

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
believe it or not mine l920 runs better on 10 than 8.1...

On my 925 (same hardware as 920) i would say that windows 8.1 is probably bit faster.
I restored my phone with the recovery tool and i went through 8.1 before re-upgrading to 10, so i had a chance to play a bit with it. And going back to 8.1 the more speed is noticeable. But the 10 has so many new features, and new apps, that i dont hesitate to upgrade again to it.
Overall it is a good system, pretty fast and nice to use. Just let's hope that from now to June they will release some more update for the old branch.
Actually Redstone seems to be completely crap, on new Lumias like 950, as for older ones.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes, had the 3.1.6 and it didn't work with Windows 10 x64 14291 nor the previous Win10 builds. The latest WDRT 3.2.29 is no help, still the same error at launch (uninstall, install, repair installs of WDRT, Windows reboots, no matter what i tried and I don't want to remove the laptop's Insider build because it takes so long.):

Error message (German):
Bei der Komposition ist ein Kompositionsfehler aufgetreten. Die Ursache wird unten angegeben. Die CompositionException.Errors-Eigenschaft liefert genauere Informationen.

1) Unbekanntes ModifierKeys-Element "STRG".

Ergebnis: Durch den Aufruf des Konstruktors f?r Typ "System.Windows.Controls.TextBox", der den angegebenen Bindungseinschr?nkungen entspricht, wurde eine Ausnahme ausgel?st.

Can you try using nokia software updater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss