03-25-2016 01:42 PM
380 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    Cheated? I 'm not sure about that.

When you bought your phone did it say "Upgradable to W10M"? Mine didn't

Microsoft stated at one point that it planned to upgrade all windows phones. They also have the right to change that position as circumstances change. They did not cheat anyone because they did not charge a fee and then not deliver the product they promised.

It would be more accurate to say they "disappointed" people who thought they were getting W10M. Big difference.
    03-23-2016 12:07 PM
    I just told 4 friends about their phones not updating to W10M (635, 1020, 1020 and 1320).

The answer from the 1320 was to go back to Android; I'm pretty sure he won't because he is happy with his phone which got after having a Nexus (I can't remember or care about what Nexus was it). He used to give pretty harsh Insider feedback because he actually thought that Microsoft could do it better after a few moments he told me that maybe to lie wasn't a good idea.

My other 2 friends (1020, 635) didn't care if they'll get the update or not. The one with the 1020 was a former Lumia 900 user; which was actually a bad story about not getting an upgrade path.

The other Lumia 1020 user just asked me to send him a link to a new cellphone with his carrier. Our carrier don't have WP/W10M anymore so, his next request was to send him a link with another carrier that has WP/W10M.

One of them (1320) felt cheated but he felt somewhat responsible for that. The 1020 owners were kind of looking for an upgrade but they were waiting something worthy of being a 1020 succesor.

My particular way to see the things is:
    My old Lumia 920 didnt' got living images, didn't magically got sensor core, didn't magically got passive Cortana, didn't magically got Windows Hello, didn't magically got Continuum. So I was kind of wanting to upgrade because I was missing a lot of things by now. W10M was to me a way to access new versions of the same apps.

I still use my 920 on W10M when the 950 XL is charging and the performance is good enough for me since Oct 2015. I'm not sure what was unacceptable for those Insiders but if they were like my friend with a 1320 then I understand the rage but the rage is misdirected.
    03-23-2016 12:16 PM
    Isn't it better to be told the truth that your POS won't run it properly vs Apple shoving it down your throat with no way to revert back? I think this group isn't to happy...Lawsuit Accuses Apple of iPhone 4S Planned Obsolescence | Digital Trends
    RumoredNow, Guytronic and rusty502 like this.
    03-23-2016 12:22 PM
    I just told 4 friends about their phones not updating to W10M (635, 1020, 1020 and 1320).

The answer from the 1320 was to go back to Android; I'm pretty sure he won't because he is happy with his phone which got after having a Nexus (I can't remember or care about what Nexus was it). He used to give pretty harsh Insider feedback because he actually thought that Microsoft could do it better after a few moments he told me that maybe to lie wasn't a good idea.

My other 2 friends (1020, 635) didn't care if they'll get the update or not. The one with the 1020 was a former Lumia 900 user; which was actually a bad story about not getting an upgrade path.

The other Lumia 1020 user just asked me to send him a link to a new cellphone with his carrier. Our carrier don't have WP/W10M anymore so, his next request was to send him a link with another carrier that has WP/W10M.

One of them (1320) felt cheated but he felt somewhat responsible for that. The 1020 owners were kind of looking for an upgrade but they were waiting something worthy of being a 1020 succesor.

My particular way to see the things is:
    My old Lumia 920 didnt' got living images, didn't magically got sensor core, didn't magically got passive Cortana, didn't magically got Windows Hello, didn't magically got Continuum. So I was kind of wanting to upgrade because I was missing a lot of things by now. W10M was to me a way to access new versions of the same apps.

I still use my 920 on W10M when the 950 XL is charging and the performance is good enough for me since Oct 2015. I'm not sure what was unacceptable for those Insiders but if they were like my friend with a 1320 then I understand the rage but the rage is misdirected.
    So basically everybody is happy, and Lumia sales haven't suffered recently, and Windows Phone is alive and well. That's very good news :)
    03-23-2016 12:30 PM
    Friend, don't take their decision and apparent reversal so personal. Windows 10 Mobile on every old device was always pie in the sky and shame on anyone for believing until it was delivered. It's a dim view of how things work, but it is how things work. I hope you've never invested in a kickstarter or loaned money on peer2peer lending services. Sometimes you don't get what is promised, but it isn't personal. Microsoft makes plenty of missteps. They make them over and over. It's tiresome, sure. I just don't believe (presently or in the past) that any of those missteps were done in order to be malicious and deliberately undercut their customer loyalties. They are just a big name brand of the 90s that is still working on adjusting course and fixing some bad mistakes. Don't worry about RIP Microsoft, it isn't going anywhere.
    RumoredNow and horbeme like this.
    03-23-2016 12:39 PM
    Windows is as alive as it has ever been for me. And sales are pretty good too. I've purchased 3 640's in the last 6 months and couldn't be happier! And i don't care if the lovely AT&T updates my phone ( they probably won't). All platforms have phone update issues, that's just a fact of life and it always will be.
    03-23-2016 12:39 PM
    IF ANYONE ACTUALLY KNOWS:

I have an Icon running W10 preview for testing purposes. It's no longer an active phone, so no big concern there. It is on the Insider FAST track. With the new policy, will it continue to get Insider FAST updates ?

Of more concern is my Lumia 928. I'm activating it for my grandson and I installed Win 10 mobile Insider SLOW track. With this new policy, will it continue to receive Insider SLOW updates ? Will pending changes in future releases make it unusable ? Should I revert it to 8.1 before giving it to him ?

Please, no responses about MSFT, and what they did, or did not, do. I'd just like to hear what is actually known about the coming months and these phones.
    03-23-2016 12:40 PM
    No, it isn't but is not the way you are pointing it to be either. If things were that black and white there wouldn't be PC/Laptops since 5 years ago.
    03-23-2016 12:48 PM
    I personally think this discussion is hypocritical, why because if the phones were switched as to which phone would and wouldn't get it the same ppl complaining now wouldn't cause their phone is on the list. should 3 year old phones get an update that the current phone have maybe maybe not, from my experience my 950 runs good and still has some issues but are minimum in my opinion and wouldn't trade it for anything, but imagine old hardware probably be 3-4 time worse. if MS release the update to all phones and they knew it wasn't optimized properly then it will give more ppl not to want a Windows phone and say it suck with 3 year old hardware. MS should just give it to them so they can see for themselves and they will either roll it back (which I think MS is trying to have the customer avoid) or force them to buy a new phone which would be better for both the consumer and OEM. we might as well upgrade my trophy from W7 cause i still have that phone and my 928 (but that's Verizon, it aint happening), I can complain all day but why when I can get a new phone and not worry if the OS works properly or always complaining about performance, seems simply to me, but I understand the financial part of it but its not like your buying the phone out right, pay plan with carriers. IMO
    groady-ho baluzy likes this.
    03-23-2016 12:50 PM
    There are some seriously misguided people around here that think that any old excuse will do for Microsoft.

The reality is that I have a household with a multitude of different devices. 2 Windows phones (920 and 930), an iPhone, and Android phone, an iPad, an iMac, a Surface 3 Pro and a couple of Win10 laptops and an xBox.

One common denominator of trouble is Microsoft

- the debacle of Win8
    - noncompatibility between xBox one and 360 (they are trying to address that one)
    - no upgrade path for my former Lumia 800 and now Lumia 920
    - multiple problems with the Surface 3 Pro
    - Onedrive storage

I probably forgot something but I cannot really be bothered anymore. The REALITY of my everyday life that when I make decisions that affect my family for the next few years I will take into account the behaviour of the provider of my services. Therefore Microsoft needs to go and I will probably phase them out.
    03-23-2016 01:02 PM
    At this pont Microsoft are not concerned with phne market share. they are working on Windows 10 mobile for morē than just phones.
    03-23-2016 01:17 PM
    When you bought your phone did it say "Upgradable to W10M"?
    Yes, some did, and as recent as Thanksgiving & Christmas 2015. And also told the same thing in the Microsoft Store.
    Pablo O, Varun Rajan and luminos_1 like this.
    03-23-2016 01:18 PM
    Just read the news about my Lumia 820 not getting the upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile. Very disappointed... I was really looking forward to it :(.
    03-23-2016 04:19 PM

So the excuse for the high end Icon and M8 is.....?
    The phones are more than 2 years old?
    03-23-2016 04:43 PM
    03-23-2016 04:51 PM
    There are some seriously misguided people around here that think that any old excuse will do for Microsoft.
    That's an easy thing to toss out because we happen to see things different than those who would rather excoriate the company. Windows Phone is in transition, and it has been for some time. Microsoft did something different this time around - it allowed anyone who wanted in to get in on testing its product. In return, it requested feedback, and feedback it got. Would you rather the company ignore the feedback, or be responsive to it?

That feedback led them to alter what phones would update. People would grumble if the updates didn't work well, and people would grumble if they didn't get the update, but I'd bet the former would be a much larger number, and it would become a nightmare to try to rectify. Better to let the phones stay as is, workable and stable.

MS should offer an upgrade option to existing users, providing a credit based on the phone currently owned and the value of the upgrade phone. If people could get a 650 for a $100, would that make anyone happy? A 950 for 300-350?

The thing to remember is those with old phones do not have reduced capability. They deliver still what they were meant to deliver. It's hard to find fault with a company under that circumstance.
    03-23-2016 05:27 PM
    I own a Lumia 630 and I feel cheated.
    It's a bit pathetic but reading this thread it seems this has to be said:
    - Apple didn't tell me they would update my phone to Windows 10.
    - Google didn't tell me they would update my phone to Windows 10.
    - Microsoft did and evidence has been posted.

I should have not trusted them, they are free to change their objectives but they are going to lose a lot of customers. People are comparing this to updating Android or iOS but the difference is that their old OS versions have far better support with lots of APPs, etc. In Windows Phone the lack of APPs is alarming and now the few developers that care about this platform will focus on Windows 10, I'm already feeling how my choices are going down, see the news of mix radio, here maps, etc. I have few apps, I can not find a lot of apps available on other polatforms and the number and quality is going down, this is what really irritates me.

Sorry, I can not understand how people can excuse them, they provide the hardware and the software, for god's sake they are now releasing 140-230 phones with 1GB, specifications far behind the competition, at least my phone was really cheap and competitive but the new ones are overpriced, they want to sell expensive phones with bad hardware and bad software. The current problem extrapolates, if 512MB are not enought 1GB could be not enough the next time, most people in my situation can not trust this company, personally I don't like to repeat my errors.

Wish Microsoft changes a lot of things this year because I see a grim future for the platform, for now they are not an option for my future purchases or for my recommendations.
    03-23-2016 05:57 PM
    OMG! Exquisite!
    xandros9 and Guytronic like this.
    03-23-2016 06:05 PM
    Simple. Update and get a new phone.
    editguy likes this.
    03-23-2016 07:28 PM
    Simple. Update and get a new phone.

Simple, give me the money to buy a new phone. Not all of us are rich enough to buy a new phone every 2 years. That's why a lot of people bought cheap low end phone.

Which would you rather have? A faster phone with a soon to be dead platform of a slower phone with a working platform?
    Last edited by gouboy; 03-23-2016 at 07:59 PM.
    03-23-2016 07:35 PM
    David630

The insider program was developed so users could try the 10 mobile OS and give MS feedback.

This is the basis for the decisions that were made.
    Some phones did not advance because feedback that reported performance issues were much greater than those that were likely to recommend the OS. What kind of feedback did you give? If users just used and gave no feedback this could be the cause.

It's about stability, performance, and user feedback.. Phone specs has nothing to do with it.
    Here is why the Lumia 1020 (and likely other phones) are not getting Windows 10 Mobile | Windows Central
    editguy, Guytronic and rusty502 like this.
    03-23-2016 07:48 PM
    David630

The insider program was developed so users could try the 10 mobile OS and give MS feedback.

This is the basis for the decisions that were made.
    Some phones did not advance because feedback that reported performance issues were much greater than those that were likely to recommend the OS. What kind of feedback did you give? If users just used and gave no feedback this could be the cause.

It's about stability, performance, and user feedback.. Phone specs has nothing to do with it.
    Here is why the Lumia 1020 (and likely other phones) are not getting Windows 10 Mobile | Windows Central
    Well I just don't get it, wouldn't MS do some internal testing of their own on "these" devices, can’t imagine they solely relied on “the insiders” to gauge their progress or lack thereof? What I’m getting at, MS should have been fully aware of the trials and tribulations of W10M on various devices months ago w/o the input from its users, suspect they thought it could be sorted so delayed, yet it became evident that the direction they wanted to go would be compromised if they were to assure every reasonably older WM device got it.
    03-23-2016 08:52 PM
    I have a 925. Because I use it extensively for work stuff and use MDM, I haven't tried the preview. I do regret not doing so and providing more ... measured ... feedback than apparently was given by lots of people.

However: looking at the *current* crop of W10/W10-updatable phones, I see phones with the same resolution, same camera, same or more memory, expandable storage, and better processors for $150-$200. At the same time, I don't feel that the 925 is *yet* lacking anything without W10 besides cosmetics. I'll probably try the best preview edition I can load, and when I'm actually in the market for a new phone, make a call then. I'm still unimpressed with iOS and very wary of Android; my last experience there was zero updates after the first 6 months in-market (thanks, Samsung).

So, a bit disappointed, but not overly so.
    groady-ho baluzy likes this.
    03-23-2016 09:07 PM
    Exactly what's going on in this thread :)
    03-23-2016 09:28 PM
    So those leaving will get better update cycles on Android? Please! I got 2 OS updates in about 3 years on a Galaxy S4!
    03-23-2016 09:44 PM
380 ... 89101112 ...