The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-25-2016 01:42 PM
380 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Oh sorry, "the promise" is part you've decided. That makes sense. You ignore stuff you don't like the sound of and focus on the bits you do. I must try that. What could possibly go wrong...
    I'm sorry, are you suggesting that what I'm saying was not the widespread belief of consumers? So if they actually were saying what you are saying now, isn't that considered misleading the public?

Here is the fact: most people did think they are going to get the next Windows when they were buying the device. At best, this was a communication problem on Microsoft's part; at worst, it was blatant lying and deceit.

None of this implicates me or any other consumer. The only one to blame would be from any perspective Microsoft.
    03-22-2016 04:33 PM
    Microsoft allowed anyone to join the insider program an test there devices with Windows 10 Mobile. I have a Lumia 1020 and a Lumia 950. The 1020 is not up to running Windows 10 Mobile as a daily driver.
    If you only had the 1020, you'd, probably, be singing a different tune.
    03-22-2016 05:00 PM
    If you only had the 1020, you'd, probably, be singing a different tune.
    Or just bought a phone < 4 months ago and MSFT isn't updating it even though their own webstore stated "Free upgrade to Windows 10 when available."
    Tien-Lin Chang and Pablo O like this.
    03-22-2016 05:31 PM
    My question is, why wont my preview for developers work on my Lumia 830? I go to phone update and check for updates and it just sits there and says checking for updates....i wonder if its my phone or something that's all screwy
    03-22-2016 05:35 PM
    the decision was solely made on insider reviews on stability and performance. hardware restrictions are the major cause here as most of the now unsupported windows 10 devices are with snapdragon s4 processors. as of now these remain unsupported.

promises were made but because of the unsatisfactory performance of win 10 on those devices this decision was made. microsoft did do well by upgrading majority of upgradeable devices including low end 435. here we notice that minimum SoC requirement for windows 10 seems to be snapdragon 200 processor which are found in 435 low end and also recently launched 650 .

microsoft has even declared there wont be any second wave of windows 10 upgrade. while lumia icon is still being considered. whereas high end 925 is left behind. so its all about the outdated hardware which is the major culprit here.
    That story complete pile of BS. If indeed that was the case, wouldn't you, or your team work even harder to make sure all your customers would be happy! After all, happy customer, repeat business. They are just so depleted they gave up on older hardware. I have a 925 that won't be updated, works fine on W10, aside from Cortana.
    Instead, they looks like complete idiots, and made us even bigger idiots. No phone left behind, all Lumias will bla bla bla bla. Won't affect me at all, i had made my mind up would not buy another phone from them, and i'm sure won't be alone on this one. I seriously hope all owners of the Blue Jr will sue microsoft.
    03-22-2016 07:30 PM
    Originally posted by JelenaJela
    If Microsoft would give Windows 10 mobile to users of phones with less than 1 GB, those same users would complain for bad performance of their phones. So, they would say that Windows 10 Mobile is sh*** version of Windows OS. They would never be satisfied with what they got, because they expect the impossible. Why do they complain, if their phones just can't follow Windows 10 Mobile needs?!

Microsoft have tried, gave them chance with Insider and through that same program figured out that it wouldn't work.

I will never get why are they so stubborn.
    A promise is a promise. If MS was not so sure about the old devices on W10M, why MS made promise at first place? MS should provide option to 512MB phone owners, and let them to decide if to upgrade or not, help them to downgrade if the performance is not satisfied.

So far, what I see from some of the web sites that the decision not to upgrade 512MB devices makes these owners feel backstabbed. I am not using the word "exodus", but I do see many hating owners left Windows Phone world.

I currently bought a 950XL, I also begin to worry will MS abandon it some day, just like 920 and 1020 were also once flagships.
    03-22-2016 07:35 PM
    Yeah, I'm not going to lie; that had me rubbing my chin.

"I can't get Windows 10 on my 520, so I'm getting a Galaxy S7."

Interesting.....
    03-22-2016 07:43 PM
    Oh come on guys... All this thing about "not stable enough on older phones" is BS. Microsoft just saved a lot of money excluding half of the phones from the update. This is the ONLY reason why older phones are not getting updates.

PS: My field is Computer Engineering so I'm more than sure that CPUs like S400, S4+... are very powerfull, powerfull enough to handle even newest OS comming next 2-3 years!
    03-22-2016 07:54 PM
    Oh come on guys... All this thing about "not stable enough on older phones" is BS. Microsoft just saved a lot of money excluding half of the phones from the update. This is the ONLY reason why older phones are not getting updates.
    Exactly. They're victim blaming by pointing at those who complained about performance on the Insider program.

You didn't see them scrap Groove because it was unreliable according to feedback back then did they?
    03-22-2016 08:30 PM
    I currently bought a 950XL, I also begin to worry will MS abandon it some day, just like 920 and 1020 were also once flagships.
    I get what you're saying; you're concerned that MS will drop support for the 950XL "too soon". But the way you've phrased that is doomed to disappointment. No matter what, at some point MS will abandon the 950XL just like at some point Samsung will abandon the GS7, Google will abandon the Nexus 6p, Apple will abandon the iPhone 6s/+, LG will abandon the G5, and so on. It's just the way of tech and life itself. "All things come to an end." My desk drawer is filled with the dashed dreams of abandoned phones.

That's actually not much of an exaggeration. I need to wipe and recycle these things....
    03-22-2016 09:49 PM
    I love this thread. Lol

I have been running Wp10 insider for awhile and to be honest, even though it works on my M8, 8.1 ran better. I am sure that this time net year Wp10 will be as stable as 8.1 is now but in the meantime if your phone doesn't get the upgrade stick with 8.1 and be happy. ☺

Sent from mTalk
    03-22-2016 10:41 PM
    Window phone 8.1 will be dead and no new app.
    03-22-2016 10:48 PM
    Microsoft Rules!! Win10 working perfectly on my 2 and a half year old 1520!
    RumoredNow likes this.
    03-22-2016 11:12 PM
    It looks like a business decision where saving extra cost and time outweighed losing trust over a part of their tiny market share which cannot do much damage
    Guytronic and Tien-Lin Chang like this.
    03-23-2016 12:03 AM
    It looks like a business decision where saving extra cost and time outweighed losing trust over a part of their tiny market share which cannot do much damage
    3 months.

3 months of additional time they needed for optimizing Windows 10 Mobile. What happened though? Windows Insiders still said it wasn't enough. Could Microsoft spend any more time on the Mobile OS? Nope, or we'd never see Redstone release to the public.

Insiders spoke truthfully, and that's the result.
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-23-2016 12:21 AM
    bad attitude by Microsoft feeling very very sad holding Lumia 925
    Pablo O likes this.
    03-23-2016 12:28 AM
    or so they thought.

I don't think we can really calculate any net loss or benefit, although I'd love to see some try.
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-23-2016 12:28 AM
    i had made my mind up would not buy another phone from them
    thats the way to go :) you have already decided then why the crying and howling about?
    03-23-2016 12:39 AM
    I think this guy puts it perfectly:

"I get that Windows Phone is dead. Any indications to the contrary are down to the fact that Microsoft has strung the corpse up marionette-style and is feverishly puppeting it to make it look like it still has life in it. I also get that most of the user base is made up of fiercely loyal supporters who are in denial about the state of the platform. But what I don't understand is why Microsoft feels that it's OK to continue to disappoint those users, doubly so when promises were made."

From the article "The Windows Phone upgrade model is so broken, even Android makes it look bad"
    The Windows Phone upgrade model is so broken, even Android makes it look bad | ZDNet

This shows how "the promise" I was talking about wasn't something I concocted in my head.

Of course, now I expect the "fiercely loyal supporters in denial" keep defending a company that has let us down time and time again.
    03-23-2016 02:03 AM
    Please stop saying that we could just join insider to install windows 10, and that it's just the same thing. If we could do that, why not just release the upgrade to all. Like everyone said, it's just the same thing.

Microsoft said they did not release the upgrade to older phone because it will make their phones not working as they expect, and that they will be angry at Microsoft. But it is okay to make them angry now by not releasing the upgrade that could make them angry later.

Most people that bought low end Lumia are people who cannot really afford a more pricey phone, what made people think they can afford new ones just to get windows 10, and the phone is still working perfectly fine.
    Last edited by gouboy; 03-23-2016 at 02:23 AM.
    Tien-Lin Chang likes this.
    03-23-2016 02:11 AM
    thats the way to go :) you have already decided then why the crying and howling about?
    Because you simply don't let someone screw you over and keep silent. Is that how you treat those who do that to you? :)
    03-23-2016 02:12 AM
    Because you simply don't let someone screw you over and keep silent. Is that how you treat those who do that to you? :)
    Have you contacted Microsoft about your disappointment?
    Complaining here on Windows Central means nothing other than causing others to present challenge to your plight.

I'm hoping you find resolution and solace for your anger.
    03-23-2016 02:46 AM
    ms can't even make somewhat usable system apps for windows 10 mobile
    do you expect they can make good os?
    quality of apps/os has gone downhill after wp8.1
    03-23-2016 02:55 AM
    The awkward moment when the Lumia Icon (929) is nearly identical other than carrier modems to the supported Lumia 930, getting Windows 10 Mobile. How about the insider FEEDBACK app was suppose to HELP fix issues and not say, oh crap we shouldn't develop this because we can't have too many builds/issues with it. The icon is just over 2 years old now, Apple has been supporting the 4S and above for years beyond it. They have IOS9. I get at some point there lacks updates. I get it, but really sours the mouth when there are no products available from your company on said network. Not our fault, theirs.
    MS is just running from issues for the older phones. Feedbacks should help FIX things, NOT abandon them!
    03-23-2016 04:16 AM
    Have you contacted Microsoft about your disappointment?
    Complaining here on Windows Central means nothing other than causing others to present challenge to your plight.

I'm hoping you find resolution and solace for your anger.
    It is well past contacting Microsoft. We screamed at the top of our lungs in the last 3 years or so and we managed to make Windows barely usable again in the form of Windows 10, as a U turn from Windows 8. Most you guys called us "a vocal minority" and yet Windows Phone kept losing market share and Windows 8 is in fact considered a failure akin to Vista; something this "vocal minority" foresaw.

There is simply no more hope left for Windows Mobile. I'm only here to understand the reasons behind such extreme fanboyism and denial.
    Last edited by AgentTheGreat; 03-23-2016 at 04:50 AM.
    03-23-2016 04:17 AM
380 ... 56789 ...