Microsoft Cheated Lumia Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
OK so let's say the carriers are the reason the M8 is not getting the general upgrade, what would be the reasoning to drop it out of the insider program, it runs Windows 10 like a champ. I'm sorry, I love the OS, but tired of being lied to, first Onedrive and now this, at least Apple and Google are trust worthy.

I'm with you on this. I have an Icon, and to me, it's not about trustworthiness, but caring about the fact that you literally have NO ONE on your platform. The Insiders ARE Windows Phone users. You wouldn't even have Win 10 feedback WITHOUT people running on older hardware in the 1st place (which is ESPECIALLY the case for those running an M8 or Lumia Icon). Older hardware? I get it. Carriers and hardware vendors not playing ball? Been there, understood, expected it, moving on.....

But Microsoft THEMSELVES not even giving the OPTION to continue to get Insider builds and just be happy with where we are is literally shooting themselves in the foot and banking on the 5 ppl who have a Lumia 950. They HAVE no new users to continue to support, they only have existing users. Apple doesn't care, Google doesn't, Microsoft doesn't care, yes we get that they are businesses. But Microsoft isn't in the position to let us KNOW they don't care. They are literally EXPRESSING to users (who are well aware that Microsoft is a company and this is business) that they could care less about supporting them.

I get that we shouldn't "expect" anything in technology, but then don't start the program in the 1st place. As a business, your business relies on CUSTOMERS. You support us, we support you. That may look like purchasing new phones, providing feedback, continuing to use the platform, etc. Microsoft is now hoping we do one of those, if we are even in the position to do it in the 1st place and have hardware to continue TO support them. Personally, it's nothing to stress over because we make choices as consumers, it is just frustrating to say the least...

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
OK so let's say the carriers are the reason the M8 is not getting the general upgrade, what would be the reasoning to drop it out of the insider program, it runs Windows 10 like a champ. I'm sorry, I love the OS, but tired of being lied to, first Onedrive and now this, at least Apple and Google are trust worthy.

Who knows Microsoft has changed their stance on things before they might enable those phones to either get updates or continue to run on insider. They are similarly specced to the 1520, no reason to be excluded unless it's got to do with ties to Verizon which I suspect

Even if they say they would release it officially for those phones and Verizon and tmobile doesn't release it but att does..then what? Alot of HTC owners are still screwed over. That's why i think they didn't release it

Sent from mTalk

chipeast

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Re:

I'm not even going to bother to read beyond the first post. Look guys, Microsoft NEVER explicitly promised to update all Windows phones to Windows 10 Mobile. They said their GOAL was to update all Windows phones, but this is what they get for telling us anything. Because they were cautiously optimistic long before they had any concrete answers about what would be possible, half the Windows world is yelling and whining because they think they were cheated. Microsoft did exactly what was expected of them and it's a whole lot better than a lot of other companies. They said they'd TRY to update as many phones as humanly possible, than let us all have VERY early access through the Windows Insider program, and carefully and meticulously evaluated the performance and reliability of every phone that joined the Insider program. After months of testing and developing it became clear that some Windows phones CANNOT run Windows 10 Mobile safely. So Microsoft, intent on providing the best experience possible, has to take all these hits because people don't understand that, sometimes, three year old phones can't run the latest software. Microsoft never made promises, they made optimistic hints that they would do their best, and they did. They sure did a lot better than anything but a Nexus device on Android, and Android Central even took note of that, if no one noticed that happened. You know what? Well done Microsoft. You're taking a hit for no reason, but well done. The update is going much smoother than most people expected, even if it's apparently just not good enough.

You are incorrect sir. Microsoft answered explicitly "Yes" to whether specific phones would receive Windows 10 and have now gone back against their official statements. These were people wanting to buy Windows phones and being told yes they should buy them because they would get the Windows 10 upgrade. This happened on both twitter and on the internal blogs the internal blogs have since been deleted. There were also Windows 8.1 devices in store that were tagged upgradeable to Windows 10 that have now had those stickers removed and will not get the official upgrade.

hack14u

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Please people get over this cheated thing. How do you think MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of Android users feel every single time their phones are left out of the next version. I guess then, Samsung, HTC, LG, and all the other OEM's are cheating their user base as well? I have a 640 and W10 runs like a tortoise with only 1GB of Ram. I can't even imagine this on 512, funny. I can't wait for the killer spec'd phones with 3GB of ram. Then it will fly. But really, get over it, or put the blame where it should be, Nokia for making many of the devices not on the list. They could have easily built them with higher specs and it would be a non-issue, but they would have cost more. The ones that MS built were just leftover parts anyhow.

groady-ho baluzy

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
Drama land! Ahaha. I woke up today, the sun was shining, my old dog farted as usual, my ole Lumia fired right up, facebook was there and Cortana already had the news feed rollin'.
I found a way. I found a way to survive on 8.1. You know, it wasn't that bad. Peace

gouboy

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
What microsoft should do is release windows 10 mobile to all windows phone, let all the user decide whether it's good or bad. then give users the option to use the recovery tools to go back to 8.1 if windows 10 is no up to their expectation. i know i will try it.

hack14u

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
What microsoft should do is release windows 10 mobile to all windows phone, let all the user decide whether it's good or bad. then give users the option to use the recovery tools to go back to 8.1 if windows 10 is no up to their expectation. i know i will try it.

They did through feedback. This is what MS based their decisions on. I can proudly say that throughout the process I left plenty of feedback whether good or bad, did you?

gouboy

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
They did through feedback. This is what MS based their decisions on. I can proudly say that throughout the process I left plenty of feedback whether good or bad, did you?

what i mean is, to make the situation a little better. just release it to all windows phone. people that satisfied with their phone performance (good or bad) can stay with windows 10 and those who are not can go back to 8.1. yes they might be angry if the performance is bad, but aren't they angry now? at least they see it for themselves how bad it is to upgrade to windows 10 for these phones.

Bob Mickelson

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
I agree too...my Lumia 635 is my first ever windows phone and I would like to see it with W10...Although I did get a $29.95 Lumia 640...but I just like the size of the 635...

OmniusOne

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Curious where you left the 'good' feedback, seeing as the only two options / categories offered for feedback were, 'Suggestions' : Things that weren't yet available or changes in what was and 'Problems' : All things listed under, well problems.

My point is, most ONLY asked for feedback about what was still Wrong and was was Missing. Yes, there would be 'maybe' one or two pop-ups asking how the upgrade went, or how's your battery life on this build. But that was it.

Anyways, it's what it is. So anyone not getting upgraded can just stay on Threshold builds, as long as they last, and run that last unsupported OS as long as they can. OR.. buy a (for now) supported phone, so they'll get Redstone when it hits (pray your phone can still hack it by then); OR.. move on to another OS completely. Oh.. you can wait for a Surface Phone too if you want. I hear it's Coming Soon.

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Re:

the decision was solely made on insider reviews on stability and performance. hardware restrictions are the major cause here as most of the now unsupported windows 10 devices are with snapdragon s4 processors. as of now these remain unsupported.

promises were made but because of the unsatisfactory performance of win 10 on those devices this decision was made. microsoft did do well by upgrading majority of upgradeable devices including low end 435. here we notice that minimum SoC requirement for windows 10 seems to be snapdragon 200 processor which are found in 435 low end and also recently launched 650 .

microsoft has even declared there wont be any second wave of windows 10 upgrade. while lumia icon is still being considered. whereas high end 925 is left behind. so its all about the outdated hardware which is the major culprit here.

They released outdated hardware in the first place claiming the efficiency of OS. Now its a culprit??

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Re:

They released outdated hardware in the first place claiming the efficiency of OS. Now its a culprit??

well you can sit all day and argue on that but for what?? you need to decide now if you need windows 10 or not, whether you want to upgrade to move to another OS .

arguing over this just doesn't makes sense anymore :)

monzki

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
U guys are killing me with the crying

The x2x phones are over 3 years old, they were only guaranteed 36 months support long before windows 10. U knew this years ago.

The m8 and the icon I believe has something to do with Verizon so maybe they got rid of the m8 because of the carriers holding up (especially Vzw and att) updates.

They had said a year ago some devices might not get the update, and they PLANNED on getting the update out. Stuff happens it's life. Insiders complained about those phones performance issues so they dropped the phones 90% of u guys it was time for a upgrade anyway

Either way it goes u guys can STILL put insider on your phones, and STILL use the same .164 everyone else is using and possibly up until Redstone Is released and still use the new apps.

Wtf are u complaining about u still have time to get a new phone while using windows 10

Sent from mTalk

1320 and 1520 were on the same date. And 1320 is faster than 435.

Allogenes357

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I totally agree!!!! You buy the company (Nokia/Lumia) and then you kill off the product? I have a Lumia 1320 and it has the same specs as the 1520! I understand why your customers leave your products, it a shame! I guess I'll go back to Apple!

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 1320 and it has the same specs as the 1520!
Absolutely not.

There is no excuse. The whole thing with Verizon blocking bla bla is crap! MS simply does not care as usual.

You do realize it could be HTC not willing to support the update by releasing the drivers/firmware and Verizon not provisioning the update. Simply blaming Microsoft here is unjustified, there is a whole lot of legal T&C that Microsoft will break if they push the software without the carrier/manufacturer approval.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely not.

You do realize it could be HTC not willing to support the update by releasing the drivers/firmware and Verizon not provisioning the update. Simply blaming Microsoft here is unjustified, there is a whole lot of legal T&C that Microsoft will break if they push the software without the carrier/manufacturer approval.

Well again it's MS's fault that their were not able to get approvals for the M8 They seem unable to get anything done...or you call Win10mobile done? it is still full of bugs after more than a year :))) What can I say about MS, pathetic, simply pathetic, ever since the WP7 fiasco...

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I could live with not getting the general update, but they are not releasing anymore insider builds to the M8, they are just leaving us to swing in the breeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss