Not open for further replies.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Apple: action speaks louder than words
Google: so said, so done
Microsoft: speak one way and act another

Only fun :grin:
Only fun, but what the hell does any of that mean? Are you saying Apples rampant overcharging for hardware doesn't need words to back it up? Google...sorry Alphabet's a paragon of virtue? Strange world you live in my friend ;)

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I totally agree!!!! You buy the company (Nokia/Lumia) and then you kill off the product? I have a Lumia 1320 and it has the same specs as the 1520! I understand why your customers leave your products, it a shame! I guess I'll go back to Apple!
1320 does not have the same specs as a 1520...not even close. Better start saving for your iPhone then. Hint: It costs a heck of a lot more than a 1320.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
So many people around here saying they are going back to iPhone. Usually from a low end WP that cost a fraction of the former. Hmmm....? I realise there is some disappoint but let's keep the BS to a minimum eh?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft didn't cheat anyone.
If anyone feels cheated then you misunderstand.

Microsoft simply can no longer coddle devices from 2013.
Continued support for these boat anchors just wasn't in the cards.
We bought them we liked them we should appreciate what we have.

Things die.
Tires wear out.
The weather constantly changes.
Electronic devices reach end of life.

Microsoft has done what they can and finally realized there was a need for a cutoff.
It's time to enter the next room.
You can stay here or you can embrace a better future.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site

Things die.
Tires wear out.

Microsoft has done what they can and finally realized there was a need for a cutoff.
Well said. Mobile devices are not washing machines. Every phone we buy has a limited life. This is the same on other platforms. Earlier iOS devices are struggling on iOS 9 now and won't get 10. Android handsets can count on 2 years at most. Move on.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Well said. Mobile devices are not washing machines. Every phone we buy has a limited life. This is the same on other platforms. Earlier iOS devices are struggling on iOS 9 now and won't get 10. Android handsets can count on 2 years at most. Move on.
Thanks!

Old business proverb:
What's promised by word of mouth and what's guaranteed in writing are two different things.

ThePyrobri

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Keep a track of Microsoft real words rather than the Chinese whispers, they have never 'promised' all devices an upgrade, their intention was to upgrade all but as these devices have proved to be too underpowered they have made the sensible decision to cut some of them. Get your facts STRAIGHT before you HATE...!!

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks!

Old business proverb:
What's promised by word of mouth and what's guaranteed in writing are two different things.

Well said Guytronic! After the debacle of Windows Phone, and the recent plethora of devices, Microsoft have had to move away from the poisoned chalice that was WP. The amount of devices available, and the different variations, needed sorting out. It is a sad fact of life that devices are defunct after a short period. My note 3 was left languishing after 12 months. It took another few months to get Android L, and then we got 5.0.1!! It was full of bugs, and felt as if Samsung just threw it out there to appease us.

MSFT, HAD to do something for Win10Mobile to gain traction. On top of this, OEM's are now on board, and they, obviously, want to sell devices. Those on the insider program with the legacy devices must have reported issues. I can't see MSFT alienating users, without good reason. I saw a post the other day where a guy said that .164 rang fine on his device. There were only a couple of issues. I can't remember what device he had but his 'two' issues were....." It works great on my phone apart from 2 issues, it keeps crashing / locking up, and when I open store, the phone reboots." This was deemed acceptable to this user. If this is acceptable for the legacy devices, then you can see straight away why MSFT pulled the plug. This behaviour is not acceptable. I doubt they took the decision based on one guys experience, but there must have been more than one report.

Personally, I feel it was a brave move by MSFT. It allows for the Mobile team to concentrate on fewer devices, and allow OEM's to carry some of the development burden. The last thing you want is the unhappy kicking off, as they are the ones who garner bad press and a poor vision of MSFT.

As guytronic said, try getting the latest's roms for older devices on android. The only way is custom ROMs. I had a Tesco hudl. Quad core Intel, 3 gig ram, 32gb on board ( basically a pegatron device ) and was stuck on 4.4.4. We got 5.0, which was as buggy as hell, then they dropped it! Mine was 9 months old! Couldn't custom rom because the bootloader was locked and they wouldn't give us the ability to unlock it.

A two year old device is pretty much obsolete in the tech world now. It's sad that these older devices are excluded, but if it doesn't work as predicted, would you throw money at it, or would you push the devices that it does work on?

You can't run a business on emotion. You wouldn't be around for long.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Keep a track of Microsoft real words rather than the Chinese whispers, they have never 'promised' all devices an upgrade, their intention was to upgrade all but as these devices have proved to be too underpowered they have made the sensible decision to cut some of them. Get your facts STRAIGHT before you HATE...!!

Many of the 'haters' should have read the MSFT information. Yes, it said 1 gig ram, yes it did say 8 gb on board, BUT it did say at the end of the sentence......

"Upgrade is Subject to carrier, OEM AND OTHER FACTORS." There is your caveat. Looks like many got excitement blindness.

I guess that was just skimmed over like many posts on here!

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

Things die.
Tires wear out.

This.

Things change. Promises get made, broken etc. Life moves on.

If you have an older device you can't expect Microsoft to keep supporting it forever. It is just not viable. If you have a device that is too old it is not the fault of Microsoft for that. Why didn't you upgrade? Of course price may be a factor, I understand that, however the point I am trying to make is that we are responsible for this just as much as Microsoft.

With our reluctance to upgrade and to want to hold on to older technology we are guilty of hindering progress and stopping Microsoft from moving forward. It is the feedback from these people and others on the Insider program that led to this decision. If Windows 10 Mobile doesn't support your phone then unfortunately there is not much you can do.

Complaining on an internet forum will not, sadly, make Microsoft change their mind.

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I this so Serious, Microsoft keep promising from the earlier release of windows 10 mobile, saying all lumia will get the windows 10 mobile OS for compulsory update.
But now , no update for 512MB devices. I will keep away from lumia devices. Microsoft told, they provide windows 10 has a service. and after some time, this gonna be stoped, by giving some bad reason. RIP MICROSOFT whole bunch cheaters. If you can't keep up you'r word , don't lie to the consumers.

Please find quote from Microsoft that says what you claim. MSFT NEVER said ALL Lumia would get a Win10M upgrade. While I'm disappointed to see my Icon is still in the "maybe" column, I don't think your statement is accurate or fair!

Now while I say that, I admit that MSFT has let me down and I have taken a break from them and running an iPhone 6s+ which is the BEST Smartphone I've ever owned! I still love the Windows Phone OS concept and structure, but until there's a REAL Flagship phone on Verizon running a stable OS with a robust App universe, I'm not coming back anytime soon!

Xaxxus

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
This decision was made by the INSIDER program. People were complaining about the poor performance on low end devices so microsoft decided to axe support.

Nelle Douville

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
This is getting silly. MS explained why, but evidently some would rather see it as a duplicitous conspiracy to shut them out of the upgrade. I'm no tech wizard, but the reasoning makes sense. At some point there is a matter of diminishing return on the effort expended.

You can upgrade for a reasonable cost without going near a 950, although I went out and bought a 950 Saturday for this very reason. I accepted their rationale and dealt with it by buying a phone that fit their criteria, rather than whining and moaning about it.

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't think poor performance on these devices is an acceptable excuse. This is basically admitting that they developed and released a software upgrade which performs worse than the previous version. If it doesn't perform well enough, they should improve the software. They are a software company after all :p

Last edited:

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I think there is a division of people who are upset. Some are upset simply because of what Microsoft said about updating all devices officially (and at the minimum, through the Insider Program), while some are upset because they aren't updating PERFECTLY CAPABLE devices through the INSIDER program (ie Lumia Icon, HTC M8, Ativ SE, etc), while . I understand there are also limitations even with these devices (perfectly capable ones) because most OEMs didn't play ball with providing drivers, stock images, etc. However, the devices that had been receiving updates from the Insider Program (of the newer devices I mentioned) should not be cut off from updates. I also believe that it should be at the discretion of the USERS. I understand they have to code against any device they (Microsoft) "officially" support through the Insider Program (hence the whole reason for cutting so many devices), but devices with specs that are perfectly capable (that Microsoft KNOWS are perfectly capable) should be included (ESPECIALLY Lumia devices, seeing as Microsoft purchased Nokia).

Andrew Fore

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
I agree with those saying that the reasons provided by MS were acceptable. Of course, now I am awaiting the expected class action lawsuit over this, even though it ought to be tossed out on it's ear.

We have come to think that every pre-release promise is going to actually be followed through with. Companies have made pre-release promises for ages in all sorts of industries, only to find that when it comes to brass tacks, the technical implementation is not sustainable.

Sure some of these phones can run the Windows Insider Preview (like the Icon, for instance), but in order to get updated firmware they have to be on an official release track from the cellular provider. If the providers aren't going to allow it because they don't feel that the certification process on their side is worth the man-hours when compared to the number of customers affected then don't blame Microsoft, blame the provider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo